• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock Infinite | Season Pass announcement

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I get where you're coming from. I shouldn't be testy either. It was rough seeing a few assumptions and knowing they were far from the truth. So again, all new content. We take immense pride in everything we do. This is by no means an attempt to snatch some easy money from wallets.

So are we talking Minerva's Den type dlc? Because that would be amazing!

FartOfWar, so long as you're graciously addressing our prerelease fears, can you offer any insight into how materially the Early Bird Special and Industrial Revolution packs affect the difficulty of the game, 1999 Mode in particular?

Myriadis

I don't know what a "Season Pass" is, but guessing from these comments it seems to be "pay once and get all the DLC for the following months"? And is there a difference when it comes to multiplayer, as I see that term more in multiplayer games?
Anyway, given that it is what I think it is, I'd rather still like to choose my DLC instead of getting everything even though I don't want it. If I ever would buy DLC.

79fp9k.png

You see this, developers? This is called "transparency". It is in your best interest to learn what it means.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
DLC facts: levels have not been started or barely begun. It is not cut content. Cut content was cut because it was not good enough for game.

— Ken Levine (@IGLevine) February 21, 2013

DLC is single player content. When I said we cut DLC, we cut it. We don’t cut with a plan to put in DLC.

If you’re a BioShock fan, and you won’t be excited about the particular DLC I’m working on with my team…then you’re not a BioShock fan!

I’m sensitive to DLC concerns, but If you never play the DLC, you will have a 100% complete story experience with Infinite alone.

RT @rogxue: @iglevine will it all be story or weapon/power packs and story content? -The story stuff I’m working on is love letter to fans.

RT @aquinodaneel: Just two questions, Mr. @iglevine: will dlc be necessary to comprehend everything? –No, main game will stand on its own.

RT @yuki_hime: @themikeswartz @iglevine want to know that the DLC will add not take away –Add. The game stands completely on its own.

RT @jorothtehwicked: @iglevinedoes the over all sales of the pass affect the quality of DLC? –no budget is set, barring delays.

RT @freshrevenge: @iglevine does Booker have model in game, or is it purely from a FPS perspective? You see him briefly in reflection.

RT @therealgrogster: @iglevine You knew DLC “backlash” was coming, though.. -Gamers are entitled to be mad, not buy, etc. It’s their money.

To be super clear, the ONLY thing that is on disc is the contents of the early bird special. All else not even CLOSE to done. #transparency

https://twitter.com/iglevine

RT @rogxue: @iglevine will it all be story or weapon/power packs and story content? -The story stuff I’m working on is love letter to fans.

^^ References to Bioshock 1 inbound.

Toa TAK

Banned

^^ References to Bioshock 1 inbound.

That's what I'm hoping for, too!

pargonta

well he is certainly giving all the right answers.

i guess i'm back all in... that 10 dollars from sony will come in handy as i buy these piecemeal.

Kikarian

Ah, I hate season passes.

I won a code for the season pass for BL2, and it was something I wouldn't pay for. I guess it was alright for free though.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
He gave me Big Daddy aka Mr. Bubbles, he gets my monies!

I'll buy the Season Pass, I'm almost essentially getting the game for free lol

So $20 to a Season Pass works out

Before I get quoted on WTF on How? Where?

I had $40 Reward Zone funny money (Best Buy), so $60-$40 = $20
Also I'm a Gamers Unlocked member (Best Buy) Pre-Order + Purchase gets me $20 in Reward Zone funny money, so roughly $0 spent on game =D
+$20 for Season Pass

MechaZain

Banned
I worry about all the gameplay bonuses. I want a focused campaign and how balanced can it really be if they're randomly giving people currency and abilities and extra damage based on preorders?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
This is really weird, This is absolutely my most anticipated game this year. I cannot play it soon enough, but also could not care any less about add on content. Even if its of amazing quality, its just not something I'm interested in. I feel like I should be excited for this stuff, but I care barely enough to even make this post stating my opinion about it.

element

This seems more like a bundle of bonus/pre-order content. Compare this to the Borderlands 2 Season Pass, which got you all the upcoming DLC episodes for a single price. Seems a very different approach.

FStop7

Banned
Has there ever been a season pass worth buying?

Gears 3? Bust.

Borderlands 2? Bust.

Saints Row 3? Bust.

I guess if you're into BLoPS 2 or Halo 4 multi then those had season passes worth buying.

This might turn to a Bargain Bin purchase most likely now for me after how much I loved the first Bioshock, and even the 2nd was going to be a let down compared to the first didn't do anything to damage the Bioshock name. I get that companies feel like they have to do it to keep up, but in the end, it really feels like a big slap in the face after buying your game. You don't know how glad I am that I played Mass Effect 3 as is and saw how crappy it ended up being.

The corporate machine takes works of peoples lives (I am not going to say art, but I feel in some cases games can be) and turns it into monetary sum to be divided up to garner the most profit for a company.

2012 was kind of a terrible year in gaming, looks like it rolls into 2013. More corporate than ever it seems even with the brief respite of indie games in the past few years. Crappy DLC (Mass Effect 3 Day One DLC), Season Passes worth nothing (Gears 3, Borderlands 2, ect), the same freaking Jesus-complex story in a good handful of games this year alone. Oh, and all the games were pretty busted, not polished or felt unfinished. I am still working on what to give my Game of the Year 2012 to and I cannot. Hotline Miami would be 1a. because that game came out busted and is still kind of busted, where my actual #1 is "Broken Ass- Crap DLC - Jesus Complex *insert rest game title here*" Burnout Paradise did it right, even if it did put out a bit too much content for free, still, it fixed a lot of the initial problems, made it easier for new comers and added new and worthwhile DLC for the game giving a reason for gamers to keep the game instead of trade it in... and guess what, EA's Season Pass had nothing to do with that... but that time for EA is dead and long since gone it seems.

I will wait to see until I make final judgements on the game, but I feel like this is going to mirror other crummy DLC-policies companies have. Oh, look how great Dead Space 3 turned out when EA corporate laid its every so gentle guiding hand into the development of Dead Space 3. I don't like seeing stuff fail, especially after how much I loved the original Dead Space, but if this keeps up with more and more companies going down this, "we have to have multiplayer, season passes, twitter/fb integration, crappy-dlc, microtransactions, always-online to keep you connected to us" the sooner it will hopefully fail, or at least retreat for a good while.

At this point how can anyone not be so badly jaded the way the industry has treated this post-game content in the past few years?

Gears 3? Bust.

Borderlands 2? Bust.

Saints Row 3? Bust.

I guess if you're into BLoPS 2 or Halo 4 multi then those had season passes worth buying.
Did all the content for the Darksiders 2 season pass even come out, I wonder?

I had the SR3 season pass (got it for free) and was still disappointed. The quality just didn't match the quality of the main game.

In the case of most games it seems the savings just aren't worth the risk of some or all of the DLC being bad.

Dyno

I get where you're coming from. I shouldn't be testy either. It was rough seeing a few assumptions and knowing they were far from the truth. So again, all new content. We take immense pride in everything we do. This is by no means an attempt to snatch some easy money from wallets.

Seasons Pass... Strange that so many different companies have settled on the same verbage and seem willing to accept all the negativity that has started to surround those two words...

I'm really curious so learn if it's all worth it in the end. By now it must be known that these types of practices are detested by a large quantity of core gamers. But do these products sell enough to make it worth the animosity gathered?

I have no doubt Irrational and 2K are going to be following the metrics closely. What can you say to that? Is there already a chart outlining what might be lost in order to receive the gain?

Gears 3? Bust.

Borderlands 2? Bust.

Saints Row 3? Bust.

I really liked the SR3 and BL2 season passes. MW3's was terrible though (PC at least, maps were good but there weren't enough players).

It's just another option. People really get angry about options these days.

And yep, bought the Infinite pass this morning, because it's Ken, and his games are good. He's earned my trust.

jtkauff

This seems more like a bundle of bonus/pre-order content. Compare this to the Borderlands 2 Season Pass, which got you all the upcoming DLC episodes for a single price. Seems a very different approach.

Uh, no, it seems about the same. Bioshock Infinite has 3 story-based DLCs (plus a bonus weapons pack) for US$20, basically buy 2 get 1 free. Borderlands 2 has 4 story-based DLCs for US$30, which is buy 3 get 1 free. To me it seems basically exactly the same except that Bioshock's is a better deal from a strictly numbers/price standpoint.

I'm not even sure why they mentioned the Industrial Revolution pack, since that has nothing to do with the DLC that they announced and has been available for some time now. I think that's just confusing the issue.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
OK, so I'm trying to get all this DLC stuff straight in my head. Do I have the following correct?

1. Premium edition DLC Exclusive in-game gear
-Bull Rush
-Extra! Extra!
-Betrayer

2. Industrial Revolution pack
-Gear: Handyman Nemesis
-Gear: Fleet Feet
-Gear: Sugar Rush
-500 Silver Eagles
-5 lockpicks

3. Retailer exclusives
-GameStop: Comstock China Broom Upgrade/skin
-Best Buy: Comstock Bird's Eye Upgrade/skin

4. Season Pass
-Three single-player add-ons
-Early Bird special pack:
--Machine Gun Damage Upgrade
--Pistol Damage Upgrade
--a gold skin for both weapons
--five Infusion bottles

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
since Irrational people are reading this thread I wanted to ask - are there checkpoints in the game or can I save manually? Also am I able to turn vita chambers off (or whatever they are called in Infinite) without booting the game in 1999 mode? Just like I'm playing it on hard but with Vita Chambers off and not in 1999 mode.

element

Oh, Collin.
I see where I was confused. The post I was reading made it sound like the content known (Premium edition, Industrial Revolution, Retail Exclusives) were the 3 items of the pack, not 3 yet to be named AND the known items.

And congrats on going gold Shawn. All the best to you and the rest of the team.

Gears 3? Bust.

Borderlands 2? Bust.

Saints Row 3? Bust.

Don't forget the Uncharted 3 season pass. I'll never again buy a season pass for a Naughty Dogs game, probably the worst execution of a season pass outside of Saints Row: The Third.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Well

Battlefield 3 and Premium was a good investment to me

I did learn my lesson though with EA doing the 1 year refresh and adding a Premium Edition into the fold

For me this is winding down the gen, so not much being spent towards the PS3
Gearing up for PS4

If Bioshock scorns me, lesson learned

You don't want to scorn me

FartOfWar

Banned
I see where I was confused. The post I was reading made it sound like the content known (Premium edition, Industrial Revolution, Retail Exclusives) were the 3 items of the pack, not 3 yet to be named AND the known items.

And congrats on going gold Shawn. All the best to you and the rest of the team.

Three entirely new missions with all new content and self contained stories. Thanks!

FartOfWar

Banned
Yeah, after reading it on IG.com it made more sense. Honest mistake.

No worries. I just want everyone to know that this is real blood, sweat, and tears material we're talking here. Not a grab bag of garbage. I crunched to ship Infinite and happily jumped right back in because I believe in this. Obviously, more news will come later on.

Season passes might be shitty but they must be working by the looks of it

Edit: Are there any links or connections between Bioshock 1 and Infinite ?

Aaron

I don't think the DLC is cut content, and I'm not questioning the quality, but asking me to pony up another $20 even before I buy your $60 (if they're not getting the limited edition) just makes me immediately put it in the 'wait for a sale' pile. I don't care if the game has a hundred items of DLC after it comes out, but let me play and finish the game first before making me think about that stuff.

noffles

Banned
I'm not buying this based on the grounds that it could end up just being 3 loads of that fairground shit from the Ps3 version of Bioshock.

Sales.

zkylon

zkylewd
Don't be dumb people, don't buy this shit, it's a scam. All season passes are.

Buy the DLC when it's announced and if you're interested in it. As hopeful as I am, the game might be another Colonial Marines for all we know.

Top Bottom