• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock - Official Thread of horror and awesome and draconian DRM for PC gamers

GhaleonEB

I thought the limit on official threads was one week before release. There's been a few exceptions lately - did the policy change?

Also: Day one, assuming my 360 is back on time. This game just looks incredible.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm in. I caved when the clerk asked me and I preordered the LE. Oh well, the Big Daddy figurine looks cool.

Amir0x

Banned
i am making an exception for this factual game of the year, potential game of the generation. It's just awesome like that.

Quazar

DrSandwich said:
Thats not the figurine, thats the Gigantic statue thats hitting stores.

The Figurine doesn't have as much detail.

Serious?^^^ If so I'm going to have to talk to gamestop manager tomorrow about getting it from them.

GhaleonEB said:
I thought the limit on official threads was one week before release. There's been a few exceptions lately - did the policy change?

I thought it was 2 weeks. Sorry about that! But thanks to Amir0x for keeping it open.

And ya, the dimensions are for a statue in about 4 stores around the US, but the figurine looks like that statue.

Bildi

Amir0x said:
i am making an exception for this factual game of the year, potential game of the generation. It's just awesome like that.
All is right in the universe.

Great thread. The OP looks very good and extensive except I scrolled past it even before the images loaded - I want to go into this experience as virgin-like as possible so I'll continue my self-imposed information blackout.

Quagm1r3

The recommended specs for this game aren't nearly as ridiculous as I thought they'd be. A $500 computer could run this on medium settings...

Xekrn

Banned
Wow so there're several types of Big Daddys in the game ? I see one with a drill and another with a flamethower. This game is gold already and now it's even better.

Quazar

Quagm1r3 said:
I know Pac-Man is l33t and all, but is that really all you're going to play for 2 1/2 weeks??

Other than some online games yes. :lol I'm up to date on games, and rather spend time elsewhere. :) On the fence with Two Worlds.

TEJ

I have the LE on preorder, does anybody know anything about the soundtrack cd? is it one of those 5-10 song cd's or is it the real deal?

FrankT

Upgraded to the CE 360 version this weekend, and for a guy that has never bought a CE/LE, ever, that's saying a lot. Simply, cannot wait. This game needs to be gold today, 14days and counting, come on.

tHoMNZ

is there anything known about the graphics on the pc (on high) vs 360?

i've got a capable(ish) PC and a 360

Mmmmm decisions

bigswords

Xdrive05 said:
PC PERFORMANCE INFO

'cause I know they'll be askin'.

For the 8800 cards = 1280x1024, 50fps, all sliders up

What options are there sorry? I don't mind disabling AA and AF and lower certain options to play at 1680 X 1050 or 1920 X 1200 res.

Xdrive05

bigswords said:
For the 8800 cards = 1280x1024, 50fps, all sliders up

What options are there sorry? I don't mind disabling AA and AF and lower certain options to play at 1680 X 1050 or 1920 X 1200 res.

There's a screenshot floating around with the sliders screen (menu) but I can't seem to find it right now. I'll edit this if I do. But you're right, and AA is basically unnecessary at high resolutions anyway, and you really don't need a lot of AF if it hits the performance hard.

voltron

Quazar said:
I'm guessing you're talking to me. I admit to going on a media blackout but from what I've seen/read(a good bit), I haven't seen anything talked about besides Big daddy/whatever other things are called.

Ok cool. Well yeah there is other enemies that I know of from seeing some gameplay vids - and there will no doubt be enemies we havent seen. The big daddys get lots ofattention because theyre so damn cool I guess.

Reikon said:
Someone needs to convince me to spend $20+ more for the CE.
Why even consider the notion, when you're clearly too weaksauce to make simple decisions in your own life?

Do someone a favor: Don't buy it, so that a self-thinking, self-motivated individual can purchase it, and enjoy it at their own leisure.

Jirotrom

guys...I'm really worried about how this game will sell, It's getting very difficult to get people interested in it at work for me. People come in and state "Well i'm getting Madden, son no." Hopefully it will be a title with legs.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Seriously, screw everything else right now.

I'm feeling another Resi 4 right here.

Xdrive05

Jirotrom said:
guys...I'm really worried about how this game will sell, It's getting very difficult to get people interested in it at work for me. People come in and state "Well i'm getting Madden, son no." Hopefully it will be a title with legs.

Me too. I have that feeling that it will fall by the wayside with the dozens of recent (last couple generations) games that have blazed new trails with design, only to be completely off the mainstream radar, then fade away.

Bioshock needs to take full advantage of EVERYTHING to be successful. TV ads, print ads, child-killing controversy (but we understand the truth about it - remember, any press is good press for sales), a demo, etc.

If they don't pimp the hell out of this, we'll have another SotC or Psychonauts on our hands. But at least this, being a FPS, will have a big market on the 360 and PC.

Reikon

U K Narayan said:
Why even consider the notion, when you're clearly too weaksauce to make simple decisions in your own life?

Do someone a favor: Don't buy it, so that a self-thinking, self-motivated individual can purchase it, and enjoy it at their own leisure.

Asshole much? Currently I have decided to get the regular edition. My point was that someone should try to upsell me. I haven't kept up with all the goodies that comes with the CE and someone more informed should try to change my mind.

I wonder how high I can get the settings at 1680 x 1050. I refuse to run my LCD out of native resolution.

Reikon said:
Asshole much? Currently I have decided to get the regular edition. My point was that someone should try to upsell me. I haven't kept up with all the goodies that comes with the CE and someone more informed should try to change my mind.
Stupid and incapable of making self-justified decisions much? Yeah, I think so.

Dude, no one is going to care nor try to convince you upon what you should do with your money.

EDIT:

I haven't kept up with all the goodies that comes with the CE and someone more informed should try to change my mind.
You're investing time and money in video games as a hobby, correct? Have you ever considered the fact that some independent research is going to be necessary?

I mean, God forbid that you ever stumbled into EBGames'/GameStop's website.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
U K Narayan said:
Stupid and incapable of making self-justified decisions much? Yeah, I think so.

Dude, no one is going to care nor try to convince you upon what you should do with your money.
Just making an observation.

On this forum when people ask to be convinced to pay for something, etc. others don't turn around and make comments about them not being decisive, needing other's approval, etc. It's just not good etiquettes.

Hopefully this will end here. No need to derail this thread.

Gadfly said:
On this forum when people ask to be convinced to pay for something, etc. others don't turn around and make comments about them not being decisive, needing other's approval, etc. It's just not good etiquettes.
Normally I don't do this sort of thing, but the presence of indecisiveness is a bit too prevalent, these days.

I'll stop derailing this potentially awesome thread.

Reikon

Ah, shit. The game comes out on 8/21 and I won't have my gaming PC with me that week. I suppose I could just wait a few days. I'd much rather get the PC version than the 360 version.

Xdrive05

U K Narayan said:
Normally I don't do this sort of thing, but the presence of indecisiveness is a bit too prevalent, these days.

I'll stop derailing this potentially awesome thread.

I understand where you're coming from, but it doesn't help things whatsoever to blow up on the guy. Why? Because you sound like an asshole who's wasting server space when you do. If it's true that no one cares about what he's doing (heaven forbid he goes to an internet forum for advice), then you're contradicting yourself by taking the time to make a post calling him stupid. All it does is stir the pot. Like someone said before, it's not proper behavior on forums to make posts flaming individual posters - ever.

That's all I'm going to say about it since this thread will own and doesn't need derailing. Just try to keep that in mind so you don't lower the standards of our conversation on this forum. We'd all appreciate it and you'll feel better too. Peace.

Xdrive05

DjangoReinhardt said:
My cautious optimism has turned into unabashed excitement. :D

Same here. I was thinking it could be an 8 game or a 9 game, most likely. Now I'm certain it'll be a 9.5 game even by the toughest standards. One of those generation-definers. Day 1 all the way right here.

Bildi

Gadfly said:
On this forum when people ask to be convinced to pay for something, etc. others don't turn around and make comments about them not being decisive, needing other's approval, etc.
Hang on dude. This is GAF. That's ALL we do!

In any case, he doesn't need convincing. If the power of Bioshock doesn't sway him, none of us mere mortals can sway him. I mean, I'm getting the CE and I know virtually nothing about the game (by my own choice - I've avoided as much info as possible). Such is the power of Bioshock.

Hammer24

Banned
I´ve followed this game with all its artwork, teasers, trailers, screeners etc.pp. religiously - but I´m still sure there are plenty of surprises left. Can´t wait!

voltron

Jirotrom said:

I have similar experiences. The indifference some people have towards this game just astounds me. And Im talking hardcore gamers that are "waiting to see reviews n stuff".

Unbelievable.

Bildi

voltron said:
I have similar experiences. The indifference some people have towards this game just astounds me. And Im talking hardcore gamers that are "waiting to see reviews n stuff".

Unbelievable.
I dunno, I'm constantly surprised at how many games sell brilliantly in spite of not really exhibiting any sort of imaginative or creative design (in my opinion at least). To me the main draw of games is escapism, and you'd think Bioshock would be a breath of fresh air to anyone who has become bored with the generic themes and designs that many games see to have.

I can only surmise that most people are quite happy with the lack of imagination going around, or don't care about the imagination and view it as 'another FPS'.

If there isn't any widespread interest now. I imagine that there will be, in the future.

Don't sweat it, folks.

Seriously, though. I hope it does well, too. I'm pretty sure it deserves it.

Top Bottom