• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock: The Collection |OT| Once is not enough.

JRW

played Bioshock 1 remaster on PC last night. i can't get over the cool art deco design, the Metroidvania-style unlockable world, the thick atmosphere and horror elements.

before now the only one i played through all the way has been Infinite, which i found lacking on repeat plays. level design is good for swarmy combat but is really kind of dull when compared to 1 and if the skyrail wasn't in it id probably never touch it again.

Bioshock PC runs like a dream, no problems whatsoever. i guess people are having issues, maybe i got lucky.

i definitely plan on trying out 2 once i beat this.

Currently 4 hours into Bioshock 1 remastered PC and haven't had any crashes or problems, the only thing I've noticed is the reduction in sound quality vs. non remastered version (just from loading the same beginning areas in both versions and comparing) but still having a lot of fun with it.

I haven't played through part 1 in years (last time was on Xbox 360 back in 2007) but I did recently play through the non remastered Bioshock 2 on PC, It's a fantastic game as well I don't see how anyone could dislike it especially if they enjoyed part 1.

Venom Fox

Banned
Finished DE:MD the other day and grabbed this on release. I started up Bio 1 and I got to Neptunes but just didn't have the will to carry on. I've never completed 1 because I started with 2 on release and Infinite on release as well.

I skipped right to Infinite as its my fave and I've never played Burial At Sea which I'm now playing as of last night when I completed Infinite. Number 1 just feels too dated in terms of plasmid and weapon switching mechanics. Is it worth going and completing 1 once and for all after I've finished BAS?

muzzymate

Well hopefully 2K gives this release more care than they did the iOS version of Bioshock, which they dropped like a hot pocket as soon as a software update broke something. Still salty about that one. In the few hours I've put into the Bioshock Collection on Xbox One, I've encountered the following:

• BioShock 1 - hard game saves not surviving a New Game selection. This killed about 2 hours of gameplay, when I realized that I had missed the first commentary video, since you can't get back to that section of the game.
  • BioShock Infinite - Constant, annoying hitches and stuttering just walking around the intro non-combat sections of both Infinite and Burial at Sea.
So ended up starting with Minerva's Den, since I never got very far on the 360 version.

MauroNL

So is it me or is the surround sound audio bugged in Bioshock 1 on Xbox One? I have no sound coming from my rear left and rights and I do in all my other games. I knew from this thread some audio was touched but no 5.1 is fucked up!? Anyone else or am I the only one.

Gator86

So is it me or is the surround sound audio bugged in Bioshock 1 on Xbox One? I have no sound coming from my rear left and rights and I do in all my other games. I knew from this thread some audio was touched but no 5.1 is fucked up!? Anyone else or am I the only one.

Stereo only because reasons apparently. Deaf Squirrel doing good work.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'll try tonight. PS4 definitely outputs in 7.1 on my system and the PC version can be forced to run in 7.1 by editing the INI. Haven't listened to XO on my sound system yet.

MauroNL

Stereo only because reasons apparently. Deaf Squirrel doing good work.
Well shit, now I'm thinking of holding of playing any further. Kills a lot of the atmosphere with all the creepy sound effects and voices and stuff.
I'll try tonight. PS4 definitely outputs in 7.1 on my system and the PC version can be forced to run in 7.1 by editing the INI. Haven't listened to XO on my sound system yet.
Thanks. Curious to see if this only affects Xbox One. Any word on a patch ETA?

Iceternal

Even if you force it, the sound mix is abysmal !

I also get lots of flickering shadows and textures when panning the camera.

BioShock RM still seems to have an audio bug I remember having from the original, where it seems to cut out sounds, mainly during shootouts, like the gun firing sound stops and all I hear are the bullet hits and other metal clanking noises. Basically not every sound is played like normal.

Is this the audio issue people bring up ?

dark10x

Even if you force it, the sound mix is abysmal !

I also get lots of flickering shadows and textures when panning the camera.
Man, I just can't keep track of all these issues. I haven't actually noticed any flickering textures or shadows yet.

The sound mix, though, does suck - everything sounds as if it were leveled. The dynamic range is lost.

Bioshock 2 on PC... does it not run or really look great to anyone else? I might have to download the original again to compare because it doesn't look much better at all from memory. I'm seeing blurry textures all over the place, it doesn't seem like enemy models were touched at all either.

Braag

Haven't had any issues with the game up until I reached
Point Prometheus
. The game has crashed several times in this area all ready. Prior to this area I had experienced maybe 1 crash. After each crash all my settings return to the default settings as well which is extremely annoying.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I've wanted to play this series for years, jumping in now!

Edit: Already crashed and the mouse feels weird :/

Edit: Crashed again. This is not a good port at all, the controls are wonky, it keeps crashing, lots of texture pop in, the options are severely lacking, the audio is terrible and it's just a struggle to play IMO. The game looks like it would be really good if I could fucking play it. I won't bother again until it's fixed.

black070

Unlike Bioshock & Infinite, I'd only played 2 through once, boy is it refreshing going through it slowly and thoroughly this time - like a brand new experience to me. I have to say, a good couple of hours in, and this is most definitely the best of the series. So glad to have the opportunity to jump back into this gem of a game.

Braag

Just learned from one of the director's commentaries that Ken Levine does the voice of the clown from the vending machines. This is a game changer D:

Good Lord, I knew my GTX1070 was a bit of a beast, but I'm throwing 4K Max settings at this thing and still getting nearly 400FPS!

Irrational (And Blind Squirrel) really knew how to Wrangle UE3, that's for sure.

Shame about the bugs that are still in the game, such as that atrocious audio quality.

rtcn63

Unlike Bioshock & Infinite, I'd only played 2 through once, boy is it refreshing going through it slowly and thoroughly this time - like a brand new experience to me. I have to say, a good couple of hours in, and this is most definitely the best of the series. So glad to have the opportunity to jump back into this gem of a game.

The combat is arguably the best of the three, although Winter Blast may be too OP especially since there's no "no item" penalty like in Bioshock 1.

Jombie

I think it's taken Bioshock's mantle in my all-time. Everything I hate in 1 I love in 2 - combat, hacking (especially the gun turrets) and the final act. I also prefer the more intimate, touching story. Beautiful game.

Woodchipper

Never played any of them before, but got the collection and started playing the first game and I'm not feeling it to be honest. I'm not far into it, so hopefully something happens to change my mind soon.

McBryBry

About to start up the first game. Anything I should do in .ini files to make it as best as possible? I want to avoid this difficulty bug and mess with more graphics settings if possible.

mdsfx

Some reflections in this spot only flicker red, blue, and black as squares. K...

vekTjpI.jpg

Fuchsdh

BioShock RM still seems to have an audio bug I remember having from the original, where it seems to cut out sounds, mainly during shootouts, like the gun firing sound stops and all I hear are the bullet hits and other metal clanking noises. Basically not every sound is played like normal.

Is this the audio issue people bring up ?

Yep, it's a flaw of the original—there are only so many audio effects that can play at one time, so in hectic fights sounds just drop. It would have been a fine thing to clean up, but slapdash port is the name of this game...

At the end of Infinite and man... this game. I've seen so much negativity for it since last I finished it and never understood it. I still don't. The story is so damn good. I love how batshit crazy and horror driven it gets near the end of it and I find the writing to be excellent. It's really fun to play too, IMO. And what can be said about the art direction? There's so many incredible vistas and backdrops that it's dizzying. I still really, really love this game.

At the end of Infinite and man... this game. I've seen so much negativity for it since last I finished it and never understood it. I still don't. The story is so damn good. I love how batshit crazy and horror driven it gets near the end of it and I find the writing to be excellent. It's really fun to play too, IMO. And what can be said about the art direction? There's so many incredible vistas and backdrops that it's dizzying. I still really, really love this game.

infinite is awesome

if you're actually, genuinely curious, there are some videos that succinctly sum up the issues people have with infinite that i could share. Of course you might not agree with it, but it might help you understand.

if you just wanna like what you like and you're not interested then carry on.

JRW

Well sumbitch I didn't realize how much more difficult Bio 1 is vs. Bio 2, Like seriously getting my ass handed to me and I had very little trouble with my recent play through of part 2 (before remastered versions came out).

Some reflections in this spot only flicker red, blue, and black as squares. K...

Got that too, and in the same area I was crashing about every five minutes or so. I deleted my .ini files to recreate them after reading someone suggesting that the crashes could be due to ini editing and didn't get anymore after that, but no idea if anything was related or coincidence.

I'm in Arcadia now, making slow progress. Never got past Medical Pavilion before when I first tried playing it when it came out. I'm enjoying it, though it does seem like the scariness of Medical Pavilion seems to be fading away for better or worse. Is that the scariest level in the game or are there other scary places?

Infinite is a weird one for me, i loved it since i bought it on launch in 2013, and when it came out most agreed with me...but nowadays people talk about it like its pretentious garbage, some have really good points, especially when it comes to gameplay, but still...

Stoze

The game crashes when I try and load the introduction video for the first plasmid you get. I tried googling but couldn't find much help. Any ideas?

I did tweak a bunch of stuff in the ini so I could try resetting that I guess.

edit: Ok I figured out what it was. I had keybindings set to my mouse buttons, and it was trying to show an icon for those buttons (which it doesn't have) in the help menu and crashing. Dumb bug.

sdornan

Well hopefully 2K gives this release more care than they did the iOS version of Bioshock, which they dropped like a hot pocket as soon as a software update broke something. Still salty about that one.

I forgot that the iOS version existed. Can't believe they just said "fuck it" and never updated it.

Infinite is a weird one for me, i loved it since i bought it on launch in 2013, and when it came out most agreed with me...but nowadays people talk about it like its pretentious garbage, some have really good points, especially when it comes to gameplay, but still...
I think it's a wonderful game, especially considering the development hell it went through. It could have come out so much worse.

I 100% agree. Just out of curiosity, what system did you play Infinite on?

cabelhigh

Neo Member
Man, BS1 combat is like a Rorschach test: you either love it and hate Infinite, or love Infinite and hate it. Imo I can't understand how people prefer Infinite of BS1, the original is so deep and just feels better, damnit.

Jombie

It's a great game that I have a ton of affection for. I platinum'd it and got all the trophies for Burial at Sea in like two and a half days.

dark10x

Which version? I just made it there on PS4 and it looks fine.

I might use your shot as an example of a problem some users are having, actually, since it should be useful to point out.

Top Bottom