• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioWare to announce how they're going to address ME: Andromeda on April 4th

What was your favorite video game disaster relief program?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get it?

What even bother? Do all other "bad" games get overhauled?

It's done, it's a sloppy product that is dissapointing to many people. Play it, or don't but it's time to move on.

If this were a standalone game, maybe, but it's not. It's supposed to be the start of a new trilogy and who knows how much paid DLC. They should be all hands on deck to get this thing fixed.

RDreamer

Does Bioware even care about the IP?

The fact that they pawned it off on their B team that had never made a full game, much less a huge AAA budget game, would seem to indicate that they don't and EA just wanted another game in the IP.

I'm sure they're not at all happy with how it turned out as it hurts their overall reputation. But if it was something they cared so deeply about you'd think they'd have put their main team at Edmonton on it and not the B team in Montreal that had no experience making this kind of game.

I can't imagine it was just misguided optimism in the B team's ability. Seems more likely that they'd have rather left ME after ME3 and just moved on to whatever their main team has been working on. Time will tell I guess.

Did Naughty Dog not care about Uncharted?

It's actually a pretty standard industry move to allow your big team to do something new while getting people who've worked on a project before in a limited capacity to try the next installment. It's almost a win/win situation as it prevents the big team from burning out on the same shit over and over again. And that team is probably more equipped to be creative and do new things. I'd be willing to bet that's what CDPR is doing with Witcher 3. The team that did Blood and Wine is likely working on a new installment while the team from W3 is moving on to Cyberpunk.

This is actually what we want in the industry. We all cry that we don't get any new IPs and then bitch and moan when the creative studios try and make one? It's silly. At some point your favorite IPs either have to be handed off to someone else to get their feet wet and/or try something new or they just disappear altogether.

At the end of the day they poured 40 million bucks and 5 years of development into this thing. So I don't think it is a case of "not caring". At the end of the day god knows how Bioware arrived at this position but I don't think it is a case of "they don't care". It is possible that they actually think they released a great product (Mac and co do have delusional tendencies when it comes to "artistic integrity")

Jackpot

Banned
350849.gif

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Gotta love GAF.

No Man's Sky: radio silence (while working on huge updates) = people enraged

Mass Effect: Andromeda: Twitter message reassuring people that they are working on a solution + a date when we'll know more = people enraged

I ask you, people who are always enraged... What is the correct way to do this if neither of the above is acceptable?

be enraged?

Lol.

Pretty much that response. Some people on here are just always enraged. Bunch of miserable, cynical, jaded, negative misanthropes. All on a board about games which are supposed to be FUN.

But also, it's a big site so there are some just enraged by one approach or the other. No practice is going to please everyone.

Kinyou

Building this into a big announcement? It was a tweet saying they'd have something to say today. I fail to see how that's build-up. I think people here are building it up way more than Bioware.

This feels like a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. If they're silent everyone gets their pitchforks and rails on them for not saying anything. If they let us know they're listening and will have a response then it's building up to a big announcement that will disappoint. What exactly should they do to make everyone happy?
I mean, why not just share their plans on April 4th without announcing it 5 days prior? Knowing about this 5 days earlier didn't really help anyone. It just builds up expectations.

To be fair, we've been down this road with other games before when discussing uk sales figures, and the rule seems to be that the U.K. Sales data is a pretty good good indicator of worldwide sales. We aren't that bizarre a market compared to everywhere else.
Yeah but that's still only reflective of week 1 it might be the worst selling ME after a month.

Game is a broken mess, people are waiting/hoping for this amazing, huge update from Bioware to fix all the issues. Basically a patch to update the entire game.

not going to happen

Yeah...it will prove interesting to see just how this thread unravels if Bioware's response is less than what is expected/wanted.

black070

I think sales talk is still relevant. ME:A pre-sold off the back of the original Mass Effect Trilogy. Eventhough the ending was controversial, a lot of people still loved the series.

ME:A's continued sales, DLC and multi-micros as well as ME:A 2's pre-sales are all going to be directly effected by this game's quality or lack of.

There's no doubt that there are some nervous people and a ton of finger pointing going on over at EA/Bioware right now.

They turned Battlefield 4 around and that one was getting shit on left, right and centre by the fans. Hell, they even bothered to address the Mass Effect 3 ending months after release when it wasn't really even an issue anyone expected them to address. I have hope they'll do their part here aswell. The game is what it is, you can either love it or hate it - but bringing it to a playable state from a technical standpoint is something I absoloutly expect them to be able to and want to deliver.

RDreamer

I mean, why not just share their plans on April 4th without announcing it 5 days prior? Knowing about this 5 days earlier didn't really help anyone. It just builds up expectations.

And not saying anything at all gets everyone enraged that nothing will be done.

In any case it's pretty standard to get messages from the dev when a game's released. All they did was add another date when they'd have more to announce. I fail to see the big deal in that.

Yeah...it will prove interesting to see just how this thread unravels if Bioware's response is less than what is expected/wanted.

It will be.

MaxiLive

Can't they just announce a patch when it's ready? You know, like everyone else does. It's not like they are going to contact actors for motion capture.

This is just communication to the fan base which gaming communities complain about all the time. I can't see a patch being ready for another 2 weeks at least (well that at least has some significant changes) and it will more than likely be 2+ months before there are any substantial changes to the games visual representation, that is if Bioware has anything planned.

Which I'm guessing this is what the announcement is going to cover, immediate plans, future patch plans and of course DLC, need to get a little marketing in there while you can!

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Did Naughty Dog not care about Uncharted?

It's actually a pretty standard industry move to allow your big team to do something new while getting people who've worked on a project before in a limited capacity to try the next installment. It's almost a win/win situation as it prevents the big team from burning out on the same shit over and over again. And that team is probably more equipped to be creative and do new things. I'd be willing to bet that's what CDPR is doing with Witcher 3. The team that did Blood and Wine is likely working on a new installment while the team from W3 is moving on to Cyberpunk.

This is actually what we want in the industry. We all cry that we don't get any new IPs and then bitch and moan when the creative studios try and make one? It's silly. At some point your favorite IPs either have to be handed off to someone else to get their feet wet and/or try something new or they just disappear altogether.

Naughty Dog didn't hand the Vita game off to a team nearly as inexperienced as the Montreal Bioware team though. And that was also a portable game and not a full on major entry in the series. Though I get that they didn't know the Vita would fail and hoped it would have been a bigger seller for Golden Abyss. I'd argue that now they don't care that much about Uncharted, and probably won't make one in-house after the coming expansion and will let Sony pawn it off to another dev if they want more games. That's the way to do it--if a team tires of an IP, have the publisher get another qualified team to take it forward instead of getting half-hearted efforts from a developers B or C team.

Same with CDPR. They gave the B team experience with DLC expansions before letting them making a full game.

Unless Bioware are just a bunch of idiots, and maybe they are with all the employee reviews about "bro culture" etc." it's hard to see them really caring about the future of the IP if they were willing to pawn it off to a team that had little experience beyond a tacked on (but very good) MP mode in ME3.

At the end of the day they poured 40 million bucks and 5 years of development into this thing. So I don't think it is a case of "not caring". At the end of the day god knows how Bioware arrived at this position but I don't think it is a case of "they don't care". It is possible that they actually think they released a great product (Mac and co do have delusional tendencies when it comes to "artistic integrity")

"Not caring" was an overstatement, but they clearly don't view it as their key IP going forward or they would have kept it with their main team. They clearly care more about whatever that team is working on.

Also, I imagine most of the $40 million was from EA rather than them. Which would play into the above if EA was pressuring them for an ME game when most wanted to work on whatever the main team is making.

Also, I'm sure the people at Bioware Montreal who worked on the game care about it greatly after all that time invested in making it. I'm talking about the company at large, the CEO etc. maybe not caring about the ME francshise all that much relative to whatever they have the main team on.

I wanted to jump on the prediction bandwagon: I'm really guessing they'll apologize, announce they're improving the face animations somehow, and give a free cheap EA game or two as an apology.

Interested in the announcement either way, this could be good.

Sulik2

This is silly. Devs know when they release bad games. There were obviously issues in ME development and EA didn't think they were fixable so they mandated a release date, finished or not to get it out the door. It happens all the time to troubled games that have had too much money spent on them to outright cancel.

RDreamer

Naughty Dog didn't hand the Vita game off to a team nearly as inexperienced as the Montreal Bioware team though. And that was also a portable game and not a full on major entry in the series. Though I get that they didn't know the Vita would fail and hoped it would have been a bigger seller for Golden Abyss.

Same with CDPR. They gave the B team experience with DLC expansions before letting them making a full game.

Unless Bioware are just a bunch of idiots, and maybe they are with all the employee reviews about "bro culture" etc." it's hard to see them really caring about the future of the IP if they were willing to pawn it off to a team that had little experience beyond a tacked on (but very good) MP mode in ME3.

I'm talking about Uncharted 3, not Golden Abyss. The team on Uc2 largely moved on to The Last of Us while new blood worked on 3.

Bioware Montreal did work on Mass Effect before. They were the multiplayer team as well as some DLC. Basically the same road path as CDPR seems to be going.

TI82

Banned
I wanted to jump on the prediction bandwagon: I'm really guessing they'll apologize, announce they're improving the face animations somehow, and give a free cheap EA game or two as an apology.

Interested in the announcement either way, this could be good.

And the fans will like it either way, I don't see this winning the rest of us over.

inky

The fact that they pawned it off on their B team that had never made a full game, much less a huge AAA budget game, would seem to indicate that they don't and EA just wanted another game in the IP.

I'm sure they're not at all happy with how it turned out as it hurts their overall reputation. But if it was something they cared so deeply about you'd think they'd have put their main team at Edmonton on it and not the B team in Montreal that had no experience making this kind of game.

I can't imagine it was just misguided optimism in the B team's ability. Seems more likely that they'd have rather left ME after ME3 and just moved on to whatever their main team has been working on. Time will tell I guess.

They care, but there are degrees of caring. Let's put it this way, they care more about Mass Effect than they did something like Dead Space, but not enough to call it a flagship franchise, and it's likely it has dropped to the bottom of Bioware's pecking order (behind new IP and DA). I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't hear about a new Mass Effect again.

dr_rus

Animations really don't seem like something that is easily patched. Plenty of small bugs to patch however.

Having played the game for more than ten hours how, I can safely say that animations doesn't seem like something they even should be patching first. There's a shit load of more glaring bugs and issues than some rare animation quirks.

Teletraan1

Banned

If they didn't announce anything there would have been threads crying about lack of communication for those 5 days. In a world with Twitter and other social media people need constant communication for some reason. This is the after effect of that. Rampant speculation, heightened expectations that will never be met. People are just unreasonable either way. The best way to avoid this is not to put out a shabby game that needs fixing and all these problems go away. I guess it was better to release at the end of a fiscal year and deal with this whole blowback. Or maybe it wasn't, these companies seem out of their depth sometimes.

Zojirushi

I wonder if they could make like a top list of the most ridiculous and pr nightmarish gifs on the internet about the game and handcraft the animations for those scenes ;)

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I'm talking about Uncharted 3, not Golden Abyss. The team on Uc2 largely moved on to The Last of Us while new blood worked on 3.

Bioware Montreal did work on Mass Effect before. They were the multiplayer team as well as some DLC. Basically the same road path as CDPR seems to be going.

Fair enough. Though I think the CDPR team has a ton more experience as Blood and Wine is pretty much a full game, with tons of writing, animation etc. The ME DLCs were always pretty light, so it's not surprising that the B team couldn't pull off making a full ME game as that's just way too ambitious for a team with so little experience.

They care, but there are degrees of caring. Let's put it this way, they care more about Mass Effect than they did something like Dead Space, but not enough to call it a flagship franchise, and it's likely it has dropped to the bottom of Bioware's pecking order (behind new IP and DA). I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't hear about a new Mass Effect again.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was trying to say. Thanks for putting it more succinctly.

They were done with ME in terms of investing in it as their flagship (or co-flagship along side Dragon Age) after ME3, hence why they put their super inexperienced B team on it when EA presumably pressured them for another installment.

They clearly view whatever their main team is working on as their new flagship IP.

Ralemont

not me
[/B]

This is silly. Devs know when they release bad games. There were obviously issues in ME development and EA didn't think they were fixable so they mandated a release date, finished or not to get it out the door. It happens all the time to troubled games that have had too much money spent on them to outright cancel.

I'm not so sure. David Gaider once talked about how everyone at BioWare was convinced people would hate Baldur's Gate 2. Considering most games tend to have "troubled development" it seems more like devs tend to be apprehensive and pessimistic about the possible reception, and that this doesn't tend to correlate with how the games are actually received.

Having played the game for more than ten hours how, I can safely say that animations doesn't seem like something they even should be patching first. There's a shit load of more glaring bugs and issues than some rare animation quirks.

Yep. I'd love them to announce a patch available immediately that fixes all the well documented bugs, glitching, t-poses etc, with more in the works as they're discovered, and then also a short video to showcase animation improvements that will be coming in the future. I'd be really happy with that.

Bugs and glitches have to take priority, and animation is such a big job I'd honestly be worried if they claim to have fixed it already. I'd also love to hear they're redesigning the UI to actually be half-decent, but this is Bioware we're talking about, not CDPR, so I'm not getting my hopes up for that.

Lt-47

It will always be less than expected. Some people seems to expect them to redo the whole game or close to that. So I totaly expect a backlash around here.

Naughty Dog didn't hand the Vita game off to a team nearly as inexperienced as the Montreal Bioware team though. And that was also a portable game and not a full on major entry in the series. Though I get that they didn't know the Vita would fail and hoped it would have been a bigger seller for Golden Abyss. I'd argue that now they don't care that much about Uncharted, and probably won't make one in-house after the coming expansion and will let Sony pawn it off to another dev if they want more games. That's the way to do it--if a team tires of an IP, have the publisher get another qualified team to take it forward instead of getting half-hearted efforts from a developers B or C team.

"Not caring" was an overstatement, but they clearly don't view it as their key IP going forward or they would have kept it with their main team. They clearly care more about whatever that team is working on.

Also, I imagine most of the $40 million was from EA rather than them. Which would play into the above if EA was pressuring them for an ME game when most wanted to work on whatever the main team is making.

Also, I'm sure the people at Bioware Montreal who worked on the game care about it greatly after all that time invested in making it. I'm talking about the company at large, the CEO etc. maybe not caring about the ME francshise all that much relative to whatever they have the main team on.

You are severely over estimating how much the dev have on that matter, who does what is EA/Sony job. The fact that Edmonton managed to greenlit a new IP instead of pumping our ME games till the end of time is already surprising given EA style in that regards. Someone had to make the sequel and Montreal was always supposed to make a full game at one point or another, EA didn't create the studio sorely for support

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, I've not really ran into many major animation/graphics glitches. The only ones I can think of are:

Double NPCs in a few dialogue seens (2 Jaals etc.), Ryder drinking out of an empty hand (invisible glass) in a bar once, and my party walking through a door in a cut scene.

Yeah, the faces are terrible. But I play with subtitles on and read and skip through those rather than actively watching the faces so I'm not so bothered by that. Leaving helmets on in dialogue scenes in the option is another way to not see it (but I get that people want to see decent acting in these scenes and that's not a fix).

Only things I'd really want to see patched (that are fixable things and not redoing the game) are getting the framerate stable on PS4 Pro, improving load times (especially when changing systems/planents) and some QoL stuff like being able to board the ship without taking off, access the AVP, strike missions etc. from anywhere, and more frequent autosaving in missions.

The writing, overall plot, repetitive side missions, boring open worlds etc. just are what they are and make this a 7-8/10 type game for me. Patching the above is reasonable, but won't change my score.

It will always be less than expected. Some people seems to expect them to redo the whole game or close to that. So I tataly expect a backlash around here.

It's been roughly two weeks. Compiling a list of known bugs/problems/quality of life improvements and THEN prioritizing them only to then announce to the public what they are going to patch.

Yeah. It's zany what people are going to expect compared to what they will receive.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
You are severely over estimating how much the dev have on that matter, who does what is EA/Sony job. The fact that Edmonton managed to greenlit a new IP instead of pumping our ME games till the end of time is already surprising given EA style in that regards. Beside Montreal was always supposed to make a full game at one point or another EA didn't create the studio sorely for support

It's always a balance. But at the end of the day, it's not slave labor. Devs (individuals, not the whole team/CEO etc.) can tell their publisher to shove it and just go make their new IP for someone else. I'm sure EA would have preferred the main team make a great new ME as established IP sell better and are safer bets than new IP.

And yes, of course Montreal needed to make a full game. But it's a recipe for disaster to give such an inexperienced team such a HUGE game to make for their first stab at a full game.

Even the main team struggled with ME1. It was a buggy, janky mess that gets a pass as it had a great story and was very well written. The Montreal team clearly didn't have the writing talent to pull that off, nor the programming talent since this game is even buggier, worse animated etc. than ME1.

That's just not going to fly in 2017 when the quality bar for big, narrative driven open world games has been raised so high by games like Witcher 3, Horizon etc. Putting out a game inferior to the first 3 entries in the series, which themselves have already long been surpassed in the genre, is a recipe for disaster and one that should have been anticipated by putting the Montreal team on the game without sufficient assistance from the main ME/DA team.

No, it's not. This isn't a ME3 ending situation where the writers may have thought they did a good job, there are clear problems with the product from the animations to the UI that would be visible to everyone.

Nobody wants to release bad games.

I mean how do you save such a clusterfuck?
Work?

They haven't dropped the ball as far as most think. The supercuts of bugs and animation quirks aren't representative of the entire game. There is still a LOT of polish to do however - it's probably too late to change the writing but the game needs a lot of quality of life improvements. A new UI, better transitions for fetch quests, better shaders for skin and eyes as the environments are quite nicely lit - they can salvage it.

It's always a balance. But at the end of the day, it's not slave labor. Devs (individuals, not the whole team/CEO etc.) can tell their publisher to shove it and just go make their new IP for someone else. I'm sure EA would have preferred the main team make a great new ME as established IP sell better and are safer bets than new IP.

So you think EA should have just forced Edmonton to work on ME forever even if it means they lose some of their key employees who burn out on the franchise?
And yes, of course Montreal needed to make a full game. But it's a recipe for disaster to give such an inexperienced team such a HUGE game to make for their first stab at a full game.

This makes no sense. They should make a full game but not *this* full game? They had already produced two single player DLCs and a full, incredibly well received, MP mode. Plus there were quite a few series veterans who made the transition to Montreal so its not like the team didn't have veteran talent.

Nevermind the idea that the Montreal team was entirely staffed by rookies instead of the fact that a good chunk of the team were likely industry veterans.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
If. they fix the inconveniences, improve the performance and do some extensive bug fixing this game is a solid 7/10. I wouldn't call it a clusterfuck.

It's already not a clusterfuck and a solid 7/10 game based on reviews and my 46 hours and counting playing it.

Only people the patches will make a big difference for are those who hit save corruption and other game breaking bugs (which seem rare) and those who are so annoyed by the animation (if that gets fixed at all) that they can't play the game.

Otherwise it's likely just going to be QoL and graphical fixes, that while nice for those of us who are liking the game, aren't going to improve opinions for people who hate the story, characters, side quests, open world exploration etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom