• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Birds of Prey teaser (Harley Quinn)

kunonabi

Dec 2, 2010
Is this a LGBTQ movie?
Montoya is probably gay, Black Mask is rumored to be turned gay for the film and comics Harley, and modern comics/feminist film in general, tends to push that stuff so probably.

Last edited:

BibleBLACKED

Mar 20, 2017
I want to hate this, but I have a thing for Margot
I do too, but every single outfit of hers in this movie shown isn't even remotely as hot as the one from Suicide Squad. It also doesn't help that she lost some of that meat on her bones it seems.

Will watch the movie in theathers if the reviews are good, otherwise on vod later and in the meantime Wolf of Wall Street again. ;)

sol_bad

Jan 17, 2006
That's kind of the problem. The action scenes look fine but the rest of it looks super cheap and simple. I was expecting more considering how everyone was talking up the director.
The director is Cathy Yan, her only other film is Dead Pigs which doesn't even have a wikipedia page.
I would assume the action is filmed with a 2nd unit.

bitbydeath

Nov 25, 2015
James Gunn is going to have his work cut out for him. First SS and now this bomba.

I still have faith in his work though.

Aug 28, 2019
That's kind of the problem. The action scenes look fine but the rest of it looks super cheap and simple. I was expecting more considering how everyone was talking up the director.
I've never heard of this woman whatsoever until I started watching trailer reactions a few days ago. Apparently they've only done one other movie, like someone else mentioned above me. If there's anyone talking up the director, it's probably Twitter types pushing the fact she's a female minority (Asian-American) director. They damn sure don't have much any a body of work.

(Unless you mean the John Wick director, who IIRC is not here. They got the fight choreographer from John Wick to help with fight sequences in this film, not the director themselves)

Anyway I'm torn on watching this. The supporting girl cast just seems like they're there for a paycheck, doing the bare minimum. The main villain seems like they're into the part though. I don't read the comics, so I don't know much about any LGBT agenda stuff or whatever. I don't have any issue with BM being gay, but I can understand why fans of the comic might if it's not in line with accuracy to his portrayal in the comic series.

I'm still trying to figure out how that Grace chick from Beyond The Trailer compared this to True Romance, though. I didn't get much of a True Romance vibe from the trailer, but I can see some trace similarities. Now they've got me picturing Patricia Arquette's character somehow driving off to Gotham and going Harley Quinn. Damn cinematic universe crap xD.

Last edited:

KorbinDallas

Neo Member
Oct 8, 2019
There's no real hook to see this movie. Didn't see anything here which says we should spend our time watching it. At this point, we're post-audience film making anyway so maybe it doesn't matter.

sol_bad

Jan 17, 2006
Joker isn't even a comic book movie, it's a movie based very loosely on a DC comics character.