• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bites from the Lone Star tick can cause you to develop an allergy to meat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Texas absolutely rekking the US.

It's the perfect plan. Cut off Texas meat demand. Then monopolize.

eot

Banned
look man, i believe you. and i do think it's a better choice, morally.
but it's a choice you made, versus having it made for you by a bug, the thesis point of this thread. making a drastic dietary change on my own vs instantly having one of my largest & favorite food groups cause me to become ill are two very different scenarios, is the thing.

Sure, but of all the nasty things to catch meat allergy seems pretty low on the list.

Snaku

Banned
I'm surprised the meat packing industry isn't throwing vast sums of cash into the extermination of these things, or a cure for the reaction.

Hm, I wonder how widespread this will become.

What a weapon for extremists though, I wonder how long it will take before we get the first news of some lunatic spreading these bugs.

dejay

Banned
I'm surprised the meat packing industry isn't throwing vast sums of cash into the extermination of these things, or a cure for the reaction.

I don't think there's ever been a successful extermination of any insect. Also, if it was that easy to find a cure to an allergic reaction, the peanut industry would have found it by now.

jchap

I don't think there's ever been a successful extermination of any insect. Also, if it was that easy to find a cure to an allergic reaction, the peanut industry would have found it by now.

Boll Weevil in Texas was exterminated in the late 1990s and early 2000s (and I helped!)

From the Texas Boll Weevil Eradication website:

"In the 5.22 million land acres that make up the 11 West Texas zones in 2013, there were no boll weevils captured. There were no acres treated in the 5.22 million land acres of that were planted in West Texas. All 11 West Texas zones have been declared functionally eradicated."

Before the eradication Boll Weevils were an increasing problem that every acre of planted cotton had to treat. The boll worm has also been largely eliminated by genetically modified cotton. It is rare to spray pesticides anymore where as it used to be all you sprayed after the early season herbicide prior to defoliation.

Amir0x

Banned
good thing i very rarely eat meat anyway

(no, it's not a diet thing. just tend no to like the taste of most meats i've tasted, no matter how they're cooked or seasoned)

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Ugh, do not fucking want.

My wife was diagnosed with celiac disease last year (gluten allergy), so we don't eat bread or pasta. Her diet is 95% meat and fruits/vegitbles, if she got this it would be horrifying.

linkboy

Epipen_Auto-Injector.jpg

Give me one of these, because no way in hell am I giving up a nice thick steak.

dejay

Banned
Boll Weevil in Texas was exterminated in the late 1990s and early 2000s (and I helped!)

From the Texas Boll Weevil Eradication website:

"In the 5.22 million land acres that make up the 11 West Texas zones in 2013, there were no boll weevils captured. There were no acres treated in the 5.22 million land acres of that were planted in West Texas. All 11 West Texas zones have been declared functionally eradicated."

Before the eradication Boll Weevils were an increasing problem that every acre of planted cotton had to treat. The boll worm has also been largely eliminated by genetically modified cotton. It is rare to spray pesticides anymore where as it used to be all you sprayed after the early season herbicide prior to defoliation.

Well, seemingly not totally eradicated, but "functionally eradicated" in a certain (though very large) zone. Great effort none the less. Just done a brief search - it's still a known enemy to the Australian cotton industry.

How did you help may I ask? Sounds interesting.

Dash_

I'll probably get jumped on, but ket's hope the entire human race gts bitten by these things *Team Vegetarian Terrorist*

I'll probably get jumped on, but ket's hope the entire human race gts bitten by these things *Team Vegetarian Terrorist*

If humans stopped eating meat, many animals would go nearly extinct because we breed them for food. We'd need the land they live on to make vegetables.

jchap

Well, seemingly not totally eradicated, but "functionally eradicated" in a certain (though very large) zone. Great effort none the less. Just done a brief search - it's still a known enemy to the Australian cotton industry.

How did you help may I ask? Sounds interesting.

I worked in high school for an aerial applicator service. The state of Texas hired about 20 planes (All AT-602s or greater) to fly out of the airport I worked at. I mixed the chemicals, pumped them onto the airplanes, and refueled the airplanes. Every acre of land in west Texas was sprayed over about a month. Traps were then monitored and every time one was detected the surrounding land got more treatment. Treatments were repeated the following year and after that we never had to spray boll weevils again. Traps are still monitored to this day. I think on the southern edges of the eradicated zone they occasionally have to spray weevils as they attempt to move in.

dejay

Banned
I worked in high school for an aerial applicator service. The state of Texas hired about 20 planes (All AT-602s or greater) to fly out of the airport. I mixed the chemicals, pumped them onto the airplanes, and refueled the airplanes. Every acre of land in west Texas was sprayed over about a month. Traps were then monitored and every time one was detected the surrounding land got more treatment. Treatments were repeated the following year and after that we never had to spray boll weevils again. Traps are still monitored to this day. I think on the southern edges of the eradicated zone they occasionally have to spray weevils as they attempt to move in.

Your high school job sounds better than mine did :(

Kater

Banned

Not a vegetarian (I eat chicken meat sometimes) but I really despise the cruel treatment of living animals of the meat industry so I'm all for more bite victims turning vegetarian.

tumblr_mxz6feUpM91s2wio8o1_400.gif

Drakeon

Welp, glad its literally on the other side of the country from me. Please stay the fuck away from California tick, I can't live without meat.

Quixzlizx

I think I'd rather get cancer. At least I'd have a chance of recovering.

I also live directly on one of those arrows on the map D:

Hope your Pet gets bitten by that tick. >=(

...Too harsh, but a world without meat is not a world I want to be part of.

Kinyou

The meat industry is already trying to reverse engineer the tick and release one that causes vegetable allergy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom