• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lone Star Tick is a militant vegetarian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WedgeX

Banned
Okay, so its bites just cause a meat allergy.

NPR said:
Some people are allergic to peanuts, others to shellfish, fruits, or wheat. But this rare allergy is a carnivore's worst nightmare: A tick bite that can cause a case of itchy red hives every time you eat meat. Yup, get bit by one of these buggers and you may be saying farewell to your filet Mignon.

For some people around the country, this is no nightmare, it's a reality – and it may be coming to your neck of the woods.

The meat allergy, known as alpha-gal for a sugar carbohydrate found in beef, lamb, and pork, produces a hive-like rash – and, in some people, a dangerous anaphylactic reaction – roughly four hours after consuming the meat. It's caused by antibodies to the alpha-gal sugar that are produced in humans after they are bitten by common Lone Star ticks.

Now, the government has not yet issued health warnings about meat allergies associated with these ticks — such allergies are still quite rare, and like many other food allergies, the presence of the antibody doesn't necessarily guarantee an allergic response. Scientists say the allergy-inducing tick bites have affected about 1,500 people since it was first reported in 2008 —compared to the roughly 25,000 new cases of Lyme diseases reported every year.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
This ticks me off. I'm getting into my bubble now. I will not be forced to be a vegetarian. NEVER!

tumblr_m988jaHgrm1qbaj4uo1_500.gif

McNei1y

We must rage war against these monsters. Some will lose their ability to eat meat... but the risk is worth it.

Famassu

This ticks me off. I'm getting into my bubble now. I will not be forced to be a vegetarian. NEVER!
I don't see why people are so against it. I could make you all kinds of food where I could replaced meat with different kinds of soy meat and unless you were notified of it, you 100% surely wouldn't even notice the difference. Plus it's a heck of a lot cheaper to be a vegetarian than eating shittons of meat everyday. Not to even mention producing meat is one of the biggest & worst environmental problems Earth has and will ever face, so you're saving the world by not eating meat (or at least cutting the consumption of meat a lot, you could still eat a steak, say, once a week as a special occasion). There really aren't any downsides to it.

Sounds like this is different (worse), but my wife is allergic to red meat. Just appeared out of nowhere about 6 years ago. Pork, chicken, turkey, etc are fine, beef, lamb, salmon are out. Worse yet, beef products are also out, which includes gelatin. Even gelcaps will cause her to break out in hives.

Tex117

Banned
I don't see why people are so against it. I could make you all kinds of food where I could replaced meat with different kinds of soy meat and unless you were notified of it, you 100% surely wouldn't even notice the difference. Plus it's a heck of a lot cheaper to be a vegetarian than eating shittons of meat everyday. Not to even mention producing meat is one of the biggest & worst environmental problems Earth has and will ever face, so you're saving the world by not eating meat (or at least cutting the consumption of meat a lot, you could still eat a steak, say, once a week as a special occasion). There really aren't any downsides to it.

Choice my man. Choice.

WedgeX

Banned
Is it a permanent allergy to meat? Or would it go away after a period of time?

It lasts as long as the antibodies in the body last. Which could be quite a long time. Also, the National Institute of Health put together a study of the allergy and its spread.

edit:

Except for those of us allergic to soy. Peanuts can only get you so far.

It is always vegetarians who are convinced that they can make a dish with faux meat and no one will know the difference. As someone who has had it on several occasions, you can tell the difference immediately. It's awful.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I don't see why people are so against it. I could make you all kinds of food where I could replaced meat with different kinds of soy meat and unless you were notified of it, you 100% surely wouldn't even notice the difference.
I sincerely doubt it. I am an expert, you see.

Plus it's a heck of a lot cheaper to be a vegetarian than eating shittons of meat everyday.
*Citation needed. It's much cheaper to buy a lb of ground beef than an lb of mixed fresh veggies.

Not to even mention producing meat is one of the biggest & worst environmental problems Earth has and will ever face, so you're saving the world by not eating meat (or at least cutting the consumption of meat a lot, you could still eat a steak, say, once a week as a special occasion).
I'll give you this one. Though I don't eat a steak everyday and usually do only eat about one per week on Friday or Saturday nights when my wife and I go to dinner.

There really aren't any downsides to it.
Lack of choice is always a downside.

besada

Banned
I could make you all kinds of food where I could replaced meat with different kinds of soy meat and unless you were notified of it, you 100% surely wouldn't even notice the difference.
The only people who believe this are vegetarians who've forgotten how meat tastes. Every one of my veg/vegan friends have claimed this and every one has been dead wrong.

Volimar

People always say that to me, and then I eat it and then I hate them for letting me put that disgusting crap in my mouth. How shitty are your palates that you seriously can't tell the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom