• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bizarre redesigns of game characters.

jett

D-Member
Huge fan of KH but I don't like what they did to Sora imo..

Before (KH3 initial reveal in 2013):
228px-Sora.png

E3 2015 (new outfit and hair)
Not saying he looks terrible but that hair change is bothering me so much.

Nomura has changed his belts fetish for a buttons one.

Lijik

Jak is bizarre between Jak and Daxter and Jak II, but that really applies to his entire second game and onwards. (Love all of Jak, but it was a very bizarre transition)

GrowingJak.jpg

His Jak II -> Jak 3 design was less weird, but for the worse, IMO. The kilt was cool, though.

The whole shift to Jak 2 is really bizarre but I think i actually prefer Jak 2's design over Jak 1's (other than that ugly goatee i was always thankful you could disable). The gloves and boots hides Bob Rafei's bizarre "Sports Tape = Athletic Character" obsession that also runs rampant in the Sonic Boom redesigns.

Dice//

Banned
I actually love how...relatively safe that new Sora design is for KHIII. I like it, you expect a FINAL DESIGN FORM to go a hell of a lot crazier like this hot mess (tribal + JRPG Mickey Outfit?):
latest

Nemmy

Good thing that's not the final version of the redesign, then!

Final DmC Dante has slightly different clothes/accessories than this, a different face, and all the bruising/jaundice/diseased skin is just regular skin tone.
Why is it every time someone wants to complain about DmC Dante they use the worst looking "in-production" design and try to pass it off as the release version?

You're just straight up lying.

THIS is DmC Dante.

Nobody said anything about the redesign being "final."
But this is an official image that was released to the public at the game's reveal as a redesign of the original character. Which is what this thread happens to be about. It's not some overdone Photoshop parody that someone is trying to pass as NT's work.

You may want to check what "lying" means before accusing someone of it. Also chill a bit.

AlStrong

5 just looks like a higher poly version of what was seen before. Think they lost the rights to Julia Voth's likeness, because this looks terrible.

jenny_fat_lips_done--article_image.jpg

I want to believe that they just messed up the aspect ratio. She doesn't look as um... bizarre... if you scale the horizontal a bit. Tbh, I don't mind it as a standalone character, but it is indeed too bad they have discrepancy with previous art.

Maybe that sounds a bit too sexist, in which case, apologies.

Kamina777

Banned

Final DmC Dante has slightly different clothes/accessories than this, a different face, and all the bruising/jaundice/diseased skin is just regular skin tone.
Why is it every time someone wants to complain about DmC Dante they use the worst looking "in-production" design and try to pass it off as the release version?

THIS is DmC Dante.

He still looks horribad. One just looks like a closeup of the other.

I still hate what they did to Lara. She looked beautiful in original PC version. The definitive looks terrible and the new Rise does not look much better.

She looked like a delicate model in the original. She looks more like an outgoing girl in the newer version

Still neither looks like Lara originally looked like

Akainu

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/mediawiki/apis.ign.com/kingdom-hearts-3/thumb/9/99/Sora.png/228px-Sora.png[/IMG

Not saying he looks terrible but that hair change is bothering me so much.[/QUOTE]

only weird thing to me is the face.

SimonM7

I liked the look of 47 in Absolution. Why did they have to go and make him look 25 years old in the upcoming one?

He was to be played by Paul Walker in the new movie, and that may have informed his new look a bit. That's pure speculation on my part, but the emphasis on his piercing blue eyes in the trailer made me think of Paul Walker.

Isn't this a major spoiler? I didn't know about this. Sigh...

No, it's pure fan speculation.

It will become a spoiler if it turns out to be true.

As for the whole Dante arguments, they are all kinda kinda crappy and awesome in their own special ways. If anything, both DMC1 and DMC2 Dante have the best designs, while DMC3 Dante's is too brash and pretty boring of a design, he had the best DT though. DMC4 Dante's cowboy flair was kinda lame honestly. He makes up for it by being Uncle Dante. DmC Dante works for his universe, his original design was a bit off-putting but I didn't care I like it when they go crazy directions with character designs. His actual design wasn't as interesting in my opinion. At least they show how he get's his white hair in the game.

THIS is DmC Dante.

Yeah, I can't play Dragon's Crown because I hate looking at the screen. Character designs like the Barbarian and Witch there make me think of the word "grotesque."
Who is this supposed to appeal to? Horny teenagers with body proportion disorders?
There was still no reason to change his hair from white. Besides some bizarre wish fulfilment from Tameem Antoniades

Toxi

Banned
her actual latest design, probably her best desing tbh
Needs to change the arm cannon to the Prime design. The Other M one looks like a pea-shooter.

I do like how the helmet somewhat resembles a bird head from the side. Not sure if that's intentional.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
i think it's the opposite he looks good in that mug shot picture just beaten up but looked way worse in the reveal trailer.
I absolutely hated that reveal trailer and those awful renders when the game was first revealed. I mean, it was terrible. I can appreciate it knowing the context, (which they didn't give out until like, a year after release), but still.

Jak is bizarre between Jak and Daxter and Jak II, but that really applies to his entire second game and onwards. (Love all of Jak, but it was a very bizarre transition)

GrowingJak.jpg

His Jak II -> Jak 3 design was less weird, but for the worse, IMO. The kilt was cool, though.
We went from kind hearted mute to "I'M GONNA KILL PRAXIS!!"

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member

It's funny that you say this because this new design actually matches more with their original intent when making Kingdom Hearts 1, which was to have Sora fit in with other Disney characters. He is starting to have that pixar-esque look, stature and smile.

injurai

Banned

228px-Sora.png

I really like this new look, and compared to other examples it doesn't seem all that drastic.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Im probably gonna get crap for this but I hate what they did to Sabrina from Pokemon:

OG Sabrina

Heart Gold, Soul Silver remake

I dint buy the remake so I dint even know about this until I was looking for some Sabrina images for a photoshop. I was shocked....and yeah yeah I know that HGSS remakes are in a alternate universe, but that only means that we will never see the old designs again! Too be fair Sabrina is the only redesign I dont like.

Are you aware that gold and silver takes place 2 years after red and blue? Just asking.

KHlover

Banned
It's funny that you say this because this new design actually matches more with their original intent when making Kingdom Hearts 1, which was to have Sora fit in with other Disney characters. He is starting to have that pixar-esque look, stature and smile.

Best look ever, almost like Nomura didn't design it. One belt, one zipper and a completely believable amount of buttons.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Just described exactly why I like this look better. Hopefully the animation comes through with this as well. Those expressions were amazing. T-T
tumblr_m64z8kMtbv1qgt5wy.gif

tumblr_mvz0n26N111rnhtkzo2_250.gif

tumblr_mvz0n26N111rnhtkzo1_250.gif

Ofc he was a kid so these goofy expressions were more believable, but I feel like there's a good middle ground.

The first one is FRLG Sabrina. And HGSS aren't an alternate universe. Takes place 3 years after FRLG. So the change is simply from time change.

Are you aware that gold and silver takes place 2 years after red and blue? Just asking.

oh right, I forgot FRLG were part of the alt universe thing.

But my point still stands, I prefer her OG/ FRLG design more then the HGSS one.

And in Gold and Silver (Game boy ones) She still had her old look.

Top Bottom