• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BL2's "Tiny Tina" is racist - says a couple white guys.

def sim

I just watched that entire video about Tiny Tina and now I'm wondering where these complainers are from to feel uncomfortable from that.

Zia

I watched that video and the appropriation of black slang is pretty bad. It is so ham-handed and awkward that it comes across like some white teenager in the suburbs trying to write some The Wire/Sonic the Hedgehog slashfic.

For those who don't understand: the issue is that the usage of another culture's vernacular as a comedic element ends up denigrating that other culture by extension.

Yikes.

Epcott

Hmm, Tina sounds like your average urban white girl, mixed with a dash of Cowboy Bebop's Radical Edward. Big deal.

Thank you for making me aware of such injustice, Mike Sacco... you deserve an award from Al Sharpton himself.

Axiom

I didn't notice anything annoying or racist about Tiny Tina, I just thought she was an extreme version of how little kids try to speak and emulate the kind of grown-ups they find cool. I don't know any white kids growing up these days who don't think black American rappers are the epitome of what looks and sounds cool - even if they don't listen to rap.

I can see why people would find her annoying, but I can't speak for it being racist, and again can't say I noticed it until it was mentioned, and even then I kind of struggle to 'get it'. However if it is, I'll adjust my worldview accordingly and try to figure out why I didn't think anything of it.

While I think it's fine for white men to point out and/or feel uncomfortable with racism and sexism, I think it's equally a bad idea for white people to consider something racist and make a big stink and assume on behalf of the people who are supposed to be offended.

Gannd

Banned
Everything is offensive. People have figured out that there is big money in being offended. We have raised people to be perpetually perturbed.

I think we're in an age now that if you have half a brain you know not everyone in every culture is like their stereotypes, everyone is different in their own way. Stopping media from portraying these roles doesn't weed out stupid people, only decent education does.

This wasn't particularly directed at you dude, I just used your post as a jumping off point.

Exactly. I guess my main feelings about TT is that it's difficult to be offended by her because I don't see her dialogue as a mockery of me or "blackness," but at worst a mockery of some types of hip hop vernacular (to be honest, i've always read it more as a kid liking how a certain word sounds and using it - nothing more). I don't know any black people that use badonkadonk or crunk. I feel like the writer is smart enough to not equate aspects of black culture with blackness as a whole. Maybe I'm giving him too much credit, maybe I'm not being sensitive enough, I don't know. All I know is that I feel a little more offended by people trying to equate her nonsensical language with "blackness" than I am with the writer creating a character that seems to only be using those words because of how silly they naturally sound.

Wow this thread is depressing. Full of attacks against a person and barely nothing else. Lowest kind of attacks. But I guess he deserved it, didn´t he?

Anthony Burch @reverendanthony
@mikesacco @DrShenanigans Have you never met white people who use that kind of language? Tina is based on several I know personally.

Malcolm Christiansen @DrShenanigans
@reverendanthony @mikesacco I think I might have some bad news about those people you know then

Guy's a total toolbag and brought the namecalling on himself if he's judging Anthony Burch's friends and acquaintances as racist sight unseen.

I watched that video and the appropriation of black slang is pretty bad. It is so ham-handed and awkward that it comes across like some white teenager in the suburbs trying to write some The Wire/Sonic the Hedgehog slashfic.

For those who don't understand: the issue is that the usage of another culture's vernacular as a comedic element ends up denigrating that other culture by extension.

I agree, but I don't know if you can say that this particular way of speaking is really exclusive to one race or culture nowadays, I've known plenty of people from other races to speak using almost all slang; white people included.

Hellion

531864_o.gif

#FREECRUNKBEAR

What culture? Black culture? Rap culture? Southern rap culture? They're not all the same thing and I recoil at the notion that parodying rap slang is parodying black culture.

Personally speaking I've yet to have any black family members or friends use those words in any in any way other than parody. Would that mean that we're denigrating our own culture?

Oersted

Guy's a total toolbag and brought the namecalling on himself if he's judging Anthony Burch's friends and acquaintances as racist sight unseen.

But...but...but he did it first or what? So deserved being attacked like this? Because he made a suggestive post? Having somekind of reason for human behaviour at its lowest is not a good excuse.

pargonta

By the by i've loved anthony burch for years watching those videos on destructoid and hawp and whatnot so this is quite entertaining. he's always been very deep on these artistic principles. love seeing him standing up for his work and being open to discussions.

But...but...but he did it first or what? So deserved being attacked like this? Because he made a suggestive post? Having somekind of reason for human behaviour at its lowest is not a good excuse.
Agreed. Whether the dude is right or wrong, he's just some random guy on Twitter with a harmless opinion. Not worth the vitriol he's getting.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
What culture? Black culture? Rap culture? Southern rap culture? They're not all the same thing and I recoil at the notion that parodying rap slang is parodying black culture.

Personally speaking I've yet to have any black family members or friends use those words in any in any way other than parody. Would that mean that we're denigrating our own culture?
Cultures can have subcultures, sorry if that wasn't clear enough.

Her introduction says she's 13 and she blew up a dude after tying him up and you're offended that she may or may not talk like someone of her race? Really?

Insulting someone on the Internet is the lowest form of human behavior?

Good lord.

Don't start shit, won't be shit.

Also, still overstating what's really happening here.

Veezy

que?
I'm offended that you negros aren't more thankful. It's pathetic.

I mean, us Whites are doing everything we can to help you move up, to become cultured. All you do is complain about issues getting jobs in today's society, or how the war on drugs is directly tied to keeping young African men in jail, or how the lack of proper welfare keeps poor Blacks and Latinos in a perpetual system of poverty and racial attacks, how a political party was designed around campaigning to people who are afraid of colored folks thus designing legislation that directly effects that group more than Whites, and how partisan districting keeps your votes from being significant and counted in an equal way to the majority.

But, when we actually take the time to point out your real problems you have the gall, the righteous god damned gall, to say that it's nit picky or actually not a problem.

Un-fucking-grateful.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

Well, I'm glad at least one other person gets it. Racism in video games has come up on the gaming fourm three times in the past 72 hours, and each time the conversation has been 90% dismissiveness, deflecting, and excusing. It's a hard climate to have a conversation in.

GamerSoul

I loved Tiny Tina. I found her character cheesy yet adorable. I viewed her as a child so I had no issue with what she said. But I can see how some people would find it a bit problematic. Video games are full of stereotypes and this is no where near alarming to me. Saying that, Borderlands 2 is an awesome game.

Zeal

Banned
I think there's a secret group of people who are paid to scan all known forms of media, 24/7, 365, and then attempt to report some form of racism, homophobia, sexism, belittlement, etc. to media outlets, and if it doesn't exist, they will damn well fabricate a way in which it offends said group of people.

Basically assholes who are professional trolls, and not the funny or amusing kind.

Actually, I just described the global news media in one fell swoop.

Epcott

I wonder if the writer took offense with pork bun salesman from Sleeping Dogs, or junkie black chick in Deus Ex HR? Or Honey Boo Boo, for that matter. They seem to be offending developers a lot lately.

Oersted

Insulting someone on the Internet is the lowest form of human behavior?

Good lord.

Coward behavior for no other reason than attacking a human being? Yes, human behavior at its lowest. Not the lowest. Read properly.

Don't start shit, won't be shit.

Also, still overstating what's really happening here.

You don´t have to act like shit when someone said something you don´t agree with. Believe me, you are better than this.

Its unenlightened attitudes like this that prevent me from being able to do gangsta rap karaoke.

Grand Funk Carwash is an amazing stage name. Don't give up on your dreams!

Coward behavior for no other reason than attacking a human being? Yes, human behavior at its lowest. Not the lowest. Read properly.

Being passive aggressively condescending is much better behavior, I guess. Word your posts better next time.

Just because the general media loves to show you nothing but black people acting this way and talking this way DOES NOT make it our culture. There are plenty of people of all colors that talk and act like this.

This entire comment is gross.

And no its not a subculture either.

Veezy

que?
Just because the general media loves to show you nothing but black people acting this way and talking this way DOES NOT make it our culture. There are plenty of people of all colors that talk and act like this.

This entire comment is gross.

And no its not a subculture either.

Listen, dawg. It's dawg, right? That's what you all call each other? I can't understand a word of your gibberish, LOLZ!!!! All that jive turkey talk!

Look, I'm going to make sure they don't take how all of you talk away from you. You'll at least have that.

Show a bit of appreciation.

vidcons

Banned

actually, for you who doesn't understand: hearing 'badonkadonk' and immediately thinking 'negro slang!' is the upsetting point

all this is conversation from Sacco has shown is that people continue to define groups based on media stereotypes, and they don't just kind of think that. They actually think these things are real.

And they approach the world at large with these opinions and then 'yikes' and laugh at those who respond with anything other than agreement.

Zia

Listen, dawg. It's dawg, right? That's what you all call each other? I can't understand a word of your gibberish, LOLZ!!!! All that jive turkey talk!

Look, I'm going to make sure they don't take how all of you talk away from you. You'll at least have that.

Show a bit of appreciation.

You know, you guys don't have to be so ungrateful. He's watched the first three seasons of The Wire and went on a mission trip to Haiti his freshman year at X State School. He knows about Black Plight.

Hellion

No because Scooter's white and the guy is white. He's comfortable with his own race "being made fun of," but feels awkward when presented with something "foreign" to him.

that's same answer I get whenever I question the lack of minority/female protagonist in games. I can finally put a face to "that gamer."

Top Bottom