• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Desert Online |OT| Come on in, the sand's fine [Mediah Update]

Im new to the game, but I came back to play today and all of a sudden I cant use most of my keyboard inputs. Like R to interact isnt working, Enter to bring up chat isnt working, even the black spirit button isnt working.

Is this just server lag? Or something else?

Weekends are brutal due to double exp rates.

Ferr986

Feels like I'll never gear myself. It's been almost a week with a preorder placed for a mere accesory and I never get it, even though its being sold daily for less money than my preorder. And I need a lot more stuff...

Btw, already got kicked from Olvia servers :(

Mephala

Feels like I'll never gear myself. It's been almost a week with a preorder placed for a mere accesory and I never get it, even though its being sold daily for less money than my preorder. And I need a lot more stuff...

Btw, already got kicked from Olvia servers :(

Which accessory is it?

I was told some items go for double the value in preorder. I've never tried equipment yet though.

I'm also not sure what the priority is for bid vs pre-order.

Ferr986

Which accessory is it?

I was told some items go for double the value in preorder. I've never tried equipment yet though.

I'm also not sure what the priority is for bid vs pre-order.

I got told that even when preordering there's RNG involved so yeah...

Trying to get a TRI Bares neck. Cheap for 10AP. Having one million more in the preorder tab but people is getting it for less.

Cels

i'm on the 7 day trial. if you use exclusive full screen and alt tab out and back, the game switches to windowed. is there a way to keep it exclusive fullscreen without having to go into the settings and switching each time?

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
I reached level 50 and turned back on the display other player names to keep an eye on any negative karma players. What AP and DP should I aim for at every level forward? At the moment I have 104 AP and 126 DP.

I also tried the hunting life skill for the first time. It seems like a real grind to level that up in comparison to other skills, and it doesn't seem all that profitable as well. But I've only been shooting at deer and boars near Velia.

Mephala

I reached level 50 and turned back on the display other player names to keep an eye on any negative karma players. What AP and DP should I aim for at every level forward? At the moment I have 104 AP and 126 DP.

I also tried the hunting life skill for the first time. It seems like a real grind to level that up in comparison to other skills, and it doesn't seem all that profitable as well. But I've only been shooting at deer and boars near Velia.

When a player activates PvP/PK mode they will show an outline and sword on screen whether you have the settings to hide names or not. In fact, it is easier to spot when names are hidden. I don't know if the camouflage costumes change this in any way though.

AP/DP isn't really related to leveling so much as where you're grinding at this point. Faster clears will help you grind and more DP will let you access tougher areas as well as take a few hits from a boss without dying.

A good aim is to TRI your main weapon and armor. It is expensive but even getting everything to 15, then slowly into PRI will help. A PRI weapon can get you to awakening. Depending on your class it might be better to hold off on main weapon for now because of this.

If you've been progressing the main story the Black Spirit will give you a Dim Magic Armor which can be upgraded through the quests and is pretty great for beginners and allows you to focus other pieces of armor for a bit. I believe at current max strength it offers 60DP.

This might be helpful. It shows some recommended AP/DP for grind spots as well as a rating for each spot. Note that places like Sausans you probably want to party up any way.
http://www.somethinglovely.net/bdo/#levellingareas/

Rafy

Hey guys, so I took the plunge and bought the game. I joined the discord server posted a few pages back but it seems to be US only. Is there and EU GAF community/guild for the game? I am asking because I am at the server selection screen and don't know where to go from here.

Edit: Turns out they are all channels part of the same server? Does that mean I can switch at any time?

Vyrance

Hey guys, so I took the plunge and bought the game. I joined the discord server posted a few pages back but it seems to be US only. Is there and EU GAF community/guild for the game? I am asking because I am at the server selection screen and don't know where to go from here.

Edit: Turns out they are all channels part of the same server? Does that mean I can switch at any time?

Yes you can switch to any of those channels at any time. Since you're new though, the Olvia servers have EXP bonus for new and returning players. So might want to hang in those more.

Rafy

Yes you can switch to any of those channels at any time. Since you're new though, the Olvia servers have EXP bonus for new and returning players. So might want to hang in those more.

Thanks.

Edit: On a completely unrelated note, is there anyone that could re-create these facial features and make a template out of it? I've been stuck in the character creator for and hour and a half now, and I have not been able to do it...

e9hY1W0.jpg
Q1n4iMF.jpg
QOGEdpz.jpg
B3WWnAq.jpg

BizzyBum

I gave this another shot and played for about 2-3 hours but I just can't seem to get into it. Does it take some time to pick up? For those addicted how long did you play before you were hooked?

It's also kinda silly how classes are restricted by gender. I went Ranger but would have preferred to be male. What's the reason for making them female only?

Laiza

Don't ask me what their reasoning was for making each class a unique base character instead of doing something sane like letting you pick from a base template that is highly modifiable like Blade & Soul or Dragon's Dogma. It's just one of those things you have to suck up if you wanna play this game.

For me, the moment the game clicked was when I started building up a chain of production and doing my own cooking and gathering. Lots of room for switching up your routine in this game.

Too bad I can't login to it right now, though. The servers are completely stuffed full. The double XP bonus they threw in as compensation for the lag has ironically introduced even more lag to the game, too. Heh. Funny how that works out.

The summer sale has also resulted in another spike in concurrent users, so I imagine that hasn't helped much, either. They badly need to throw in a bunch more servers to spread out the load.

Mephala

Don't ask me what their reasoning was for making each class a unique base character instead of doing something sane like letting you pick from a base template that is highly modifiable like Blade & Soul or Dragon's Dogma. It's just one of those things you have to suck up if you wanna play this game.

For me, the moment the game clicked was when I started building up a chain of production and doing my own cooking and gathering. Lots of room for switching up your routine in this game.

Too bad I can't login to it right now, though. The servers are completely stuffed full. The double XP bonus they threw in as compensation for the lag has ironically introduced even more lag to the game, too. Heh. Funny how that works out.

The summer sale has also resulted in another spike in concurrent users, so I imagine that hasn't helped much, either. They badly need to throw in a bunch more servers to spread out the load.

Gathering and cooking is sort of addicting. I'm currently lined up to mass cook as well and it helps with the lag management since I'm just hiding in a houseful of kitchens.

When you get some spare CP you could also try adding in farming for ingredients.

FrankCanada97

Is it worth it to finish the lvl 1-50 main quests? I'm a bit ahead of them at lvl 52, is it necessary to complete it to start the next main quest line?

I'm enjoying hunting crocodiles in between grinding sessions at the lake. They give out a fair bit more xp than deers and boars. What other things are you able to hunt? I've heard about whales, but I'd need a boat and I'm not sure I want to make one yet until I have enough resources to make an Epherian sailboat. Are all boats samey handling-wise or should I start smaller?

Mephala

Is it worth it to finish the lvl 1-50 main quests? I'm a bit ahead of them at lvl 52, is it necessary to complete it to start the next main quest line?

I'm enjoying hunting crocodiles in between grinding sessions at the lake. They give out a fair bit more xp than deers and boars. What other things are you able to hunt? I've heard about whales, but I'd need a boat and I'm not sure I want to make one yet until I have enough resources to make an Epherian sailboat. Are all boats samey handling-wise or should I start smaller?

I haven't tried all the boats but Epheria Sail Boat is a pretty huge investment (I'm currently working on one). I read that the boats handle different one of them being better, faster. I think it is the fishing boat but it might be worth while to check a guide. You will also want to craft or buy boat accessories/equipments to increase its stats as well I think.

1-50 main quest gives some neat items such as stones, beginner serendian soldier suit, inventory expansion and a bit of CP. You don't need to have finished them to access main quests in other regions that I know of.

Edit. I think finishing the 1-50 quests, or at least partially unlocks the Dim items quests from the Black Spirit. It gives you a chest piece that can be upgraded through quest and a secondary weapon that is the same. Both are decent if you haven't invested in either yet. The chest in its current final stage gives 60 DP, 50HP, 5 accuracy and has 2 slots for crystals. The secondary gives a bit of AP but mostly DP and 2 crystal slots. I used them both quite a bit since it let me focus on my main weapon and other gear first. I still have the chest piece passed along for my alts.

Ferr986

I.cant.literally.buy.anything.from.the.marketplace!!1 Holy shit like everything I need just last less of a second: accesories, gear from life skills professions+2... even fucking housing stuff. It drives me nuts!

Btw, just reached Professional on Gathering and Processing, although it doesn't look like Gathering gives you much profits..

EDIT: Ahh, the new houses from the latest expansion looks nice

http://imgur.com/a/cCVIZ

There's also some pretty good accesories, seems like I'm gonna be able to skip Valencia pt 2 quest after all lol

Ferr986

I've been leveling Kuno and its actually pretty fun. Feels different enough than my Sorc and Ranger. Seems like it's more combo based, but I like the diversity of skills and mobility.

I was hesitating to even buy an outfit.... but wtf they are all fucking terrible. Like, there's no Kunoichi-looking outfit. The closer would be Sicario but with the weird leg armor, the pants that are so short that her panties peak out of the pants (it looks horrible) and the fishnet with no actual anything under it (again, lame bra totally visible)... Guess I'm saving money. Shame because I love the scarf :/

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
I've been leveling Kuno and its actually pretty fun. Feels different enough than my Sorc and Ranger. Seems like it's more combo based, but I like the diversity of skills and mobility.

I've basically been using 2 attacks for 52 levels now. The way they just drop a huge skill tree on your head is not great.

Ferr986

I've basically been using 2 attacks for 52 levels now. The way they just drop a huge skill tree on your head is not great.

I'm still not 50 so I guess later one only a pair of skills are useful. It was the same with Ranger and Sorc too.

I agree that it feels like the battle system is not fleshed enough, so many cool skills are left unusued.

Mephala

I was hesitating to even buy an outfit.... but wtf they are all fucking terrible. Like, there's no Kunoichi-looking outfit. The closer would be Sicario but with the weird leg armor, the pants that are so short that her panties peak out of the pants (it looks horrible) and the fishnet with no actual anything under it (again, lame bra totally visible)... Guess I'm saving money. Shame because I love the scarf :/

QFT. I do like Golden Armor Hat though. What the hell with the half naked armor on the chest though. Like. Wat.

Another character that just wears the Beginner Serendian Soldier Suit you get from the main quest. You can toggle headgear and visor as well but again, I like the hat.
bnZ6bH5.gif

For use, I laughed my way to 56. She is incredibly fast and has a lot of CC for mobs.
Shift RMB destroys.
LMB, A or W + LMB repeat replenishes stamina stupidly quick.
The stabby chest attack is huge burst.
She had a hotkey attack that teleports her a bit in a triangle that had nice aoe. Wasn't even really necessary for the most part.

Ferr986

QFT. I do like Golden Armor Hat though. What the hell with the half naked armor on the chest though. Like. Wat.

Another character that just wears the Beginner Serendian Soldier Suit you get from the main quest. You can toggle headgear and visor as well but again, I like the hat.
bnZ6bH5.gif

For use, I laughed my way to 56. She is incredibly fast and has a lot of CC for mobs.
Shift RMB destroys.
LMB, A or W + LMB repeat replenishes stamina stupidly quick.
The stabby chest attack is huge burst.
She had a hotkey attack that teleports her a bit in a triangle that had nice aoe. Wasn't even really necessary for the most part.

Yes, hat is cool. But has the same problem, as you say. I don't mind if they want to show skin but man showing half the bra looks so bad..

I love how MP or stamina is not an issue, especially coming after Ranger lol

Level 24, no clue how many hours. I am addicted to this game. But, I have no clue what the fuck I'm doing. Just running around doing missions forever.

EDIT: And yeah, outfits fucking suck in this game. Thought they'd get some easy money out of me there. But, none of the Dark Knight stuff is cool looking. They need a bad ass outfit for her. Something that isn't as skimpy looking would be pretty great.

Tip, don't fall into the same pit I did and become someone who wants to do all the quests...

I'm still finding new quests in all regions after a year of playing...

I'm not really sure what else to do. This is an extremely overwhelming game for newbies. I feel like there is soooooo much I don't understand or even know about. Like, what else do people actually enjoy doing other than missions?

I'm not really sure what else to do. This is an extremely overwhelming game for newbies. I feel like there is soooooo much I don't understand or even know about. Like, what else do people actually enjoy doing other than missions?

Well tbh you can treat it like farmville like of thing. I try to set up a worker empire giving me resources and stuff to make. Then I process and cook stuff. If you are waiting for stuff like that, you can send the game to the tray and do other things, which is great for me because I have a huge backlog of game. This is a game you can take it really easy. Use up the grinding hour you get daily and set up some lifeskilling while you spend some time to do other stuff so this game doesn't take up your life. You can no life it if you want to be in the top 1%, doing active trading, grinding, and what not but I'm at the point here I don't want to burn out and just enjoy things as it comes along.

Cereal products (wheat, potato, corn, etc) you can make into beer, which you use to feed your workers so they can keep working. You should spend energy on recruiting good workers (probably aim for blue maybe green if you really need a worker at first but later on you want professionals and really rare artisan workers) spending contribution points towards lodging and nodes for resources you need. You should start getting some people on cutting down some trees, since you would eventually need a lot for boats and crates and stuff down the line. Upgrading your skills, you can do things like process fabrics like flax and cotton. But you can probably find guides and stuff that would go into detail. I'm still fresh on this myself.

I awakened my Kunoichi like two weeks ago, but I haven't done much mob grinding since then. She is really fun though, easy sustain and easy aoes, I don't understand how people can have a hard time staying alive or having trouble in general according to impressions have I read on other sites and threads. Even in PVP, I can kill equally geared people (we definitely didn't one shot each other), because she has enough CC and a grab to combo people down. Though I can see why she is harder to learn compared to other classes, you can make some skills startup faster and cancel the recovery of other skills by going into each other. If you are doing a really slow move and can't cancel it, you are just gonna eat it.

What do I do with all my money? I'm not really spending any so I'm quickly building up a small fortune. I want to just store it somewhere 'cause it's taking up so much weight. But, if I just throw it into storage in a city, I have to drive back there to get it, right? So, the fuck do I do?

EDIT: I guess just buy gold ingots?

Just choose your favorite city and store it. Gold bars still weigh a ton, but they make it possible to transport large sums of silver. Basically, marketplace transactions and storage are local to each town. You can make your free workers transport items between towns but they need their nodes connected. If you need to ride to town, auto pathing is your friend but if you do have trade items on your person, be careful about bandits since they may attack you.

Mephala

Generally you will be spending directly from the storage of the city you chose as your base of operations anyway. You might keep a small bit in other city for convenience but otherwise just leave it in one city that you go back to. Pick one with a market so you can buy expensive goodies.

So, what is there to actually do as a group/party if there aren't dungeons? I'm really addicted to this. But, I'm pretty well soloing everything at the moment, and I'd like something to do with my friends/brother.

Mephala

For pve it is mostly grinding, scrolls/bosses, world bosses, hunting, sailing, guild missions.
There is also the pvp stuff like guild war, node war, ship fights.

A lot of people say it is all PvP end game and I think it's true in some sense. It is certainly PvP heavy. That said, the road to get to the point where you have no other goals than to PvP is pretty long.

It easy to solo everything now but there are difficulty spikes in other areas. I actually really enjoyed exploring with friends in tougher areas, unlocking nodes and just exploring. You could of course eventually out gear the area and continue to solo but that takes time to acquire.

Ferr986

Man, I miss olvia servers so much.

Everything is friggin OVERCAMPED. Everything. Man even awakened guys are hoarding fucking Helms, and Elrics, and everything. Not only that, everyone here seems to be more antisocial than in Olvia, no one wants to party even though it would be better for both. It's so annoying leveling up here :(

FrankCanada97

Does your actual level make much of a difference or is it all dependent on gear score?

I noticed they changed the recommended level to recommended AP at Sausans.

Also is every server's marketplace distinct from each other or is it the same game wide?

Mephala

Man, I miss olvia servers so much.

Everything is friggin OVERCAMPED. Everything. Man even awakened guys are hoarding fucking Helms, and Elrics, and everything. Not only that, everyone here seems to be more antisocial than in Olvia, no one wants to party even though it would be better for both. It's so annoying leveling up here :(

I definitely find some channels worse than others. Awakened guys hoarding could be because of guild missions or they are simply hoarding it for drops. They refuse party often because they don't want to nor need to share the loot.

of course there are some who are just asshole too. It is pretty tough trying to get a spot sometimes, especially at night.

Does your actual level make much of a difference or is it all dependent on gear score?

I noticed they changed the recommended level to recommended AP at Sausans.

Also is every server's marketplace distinct from each other or is it the same game wide?

Pretty sure market is game wide.

Level matters to a certain extent. Higher let's you access more of your skills, some are quite useful. Stronger versions of skills and skill add-ons can all make a difference. Gear score is arguably more important though at some point getting better gear becomes quite difficult as well.

Any idea where I can go to get a new outfit? Level 23 and getting tired of this beginner stuff.

As in for your costume slots? There is only the Beginner Serendian Soldier Suit which is a reward towards the end of the main quest from black spirit.

You can get costumes through the market (rng) or the cash shop. You can craft costumes using costume mill housing in the major cities (Heidel, Calpheon etc) but will need to get a tailoring coupon to change from armor slots to costume slots.

Yeah, I'm level 30 and haven't gotten any new equipment that changes my appearance.

Gear is not restricted by level. You can be level 1 and wear some the best gear in the game. Some armor sets share appearances with each other.
Agerian/Dobart/Basteer
Binder/Briar
Talis/Taritas/Steel Taritas
Hercules/Fortune/Zereth
Reblath/naked

If you're expecting sparkly end game armor like most MMOs you won't find it here. Only a few boss gear stuff is available but it isn't your typical fantasy flaming sword type stuff. In fact, Red Nose armor looks like rags and bone ornaments. Tree Armor looks like ... well, a tree.

Ferr986

I definitely find some channels worse than others. Awakened guys hoarding could be because of guild missions or they are simply hoarding it for drops. They refuse party often because they don't want to nor need to share the loot.

of course there are some who are just asshole too. It is pretty tough trying to get a spot sometimes, especially at night.

Yeah had to swap a lot but still... worse is that I'm doing the lvl 55 quest and tonight I gonna have to do Sausans... lol

Btw, some info about the new expansion

https://www.invenglobal.com/articles/2302/how-korean-bdo-players-like-kamasylvia-part-2-new-items-grind-spots-and-other-features

sucks that the new accesories are from a lvl 58 quest and 1 per character... I wanted to get them to save money :(

Mephala

Yeah had to swap a lot but still... worse is that I'm doing the lvl 55 quest and tonight I gonna have to do Sausans... lol

Going with a group during the day time hours in game would probably increase your odds. You could take the opportunity to grind some sausage.

Ferr986

Another one for the collection.

I'm starting to hate myself to keep leveling characters instead on focusing on improving my main, but I can't help it.

Tbh I expected the Hullahoop to be faster, it feels pretty weighty with some skills.

Mephala

How do I get weapons and armour above +10?

Failstacking. :(
6vvwVvg.png

This chart is commonly used. As for how to build a high failstack, there are a few methods and it is best to seek a guild or youtube video.

You can use Force enhance but it'll rapidly break your gear and you will need multiple new pieces for repairs. It also costs far more stones.

Depending on resources, it might be best to focus on singular gear pieces and buy other pieces off the market.

Ferr986

Why on earth don't your keybindings stay between alt characters? Not a huge deal, but kind of goofy.

Be advised keybinding skills that have a proper combo have some kind of penalty, can't remember what, it was not a big deal, but it's always better to do the combo manually, unless the skill has no input.

Failstacking. :(
6vvwVvg.png

AKA fuck this shit I'mma buy everything. I'm constantly poor but atleast I keep my sanity lol

Is your characters nationality based on class?

what do you mind by nationality? The only thing dependant on class is gender.

TheMink

Be advised keybinding skills that have a proper combo have some kind of penalty, can't remember what, it was not a big deal, but it's always better to do the combo manually, unless the skill has no input.

AKA fuck this shit I'mma buy everything. I'm constantly poor but atleast I keep my sanity lol

what do you mind by nationality? The only thing dependant on class is gender.

I normally make my characters look like myself, I don't mind being a Korean version of myself but I was just curious if I could make myself look western. Maybe I just missed something in the customization options?

Ferr986

I normally make my characters look like myself, I don't mind being a Korean version of myself but I was just curious if I could make myself look western. Maybe I just missed something in the customization options?

Ah yeah its possible. In character creator go to face then face shape, then its about tweaking eyes and stuff with the sliders. There's an option to download other players templates too.

Top Bottom