• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Desert Online XB1X trailer

Kenpachii

Really good game, got about 3000-4000 hours in it.
Gonna be interesting to see how those city's going to run. In before 1 fps.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Today we take a look at the Sorceress in the upcoming Black Desert for Xbox One. The Sorceress uses black magic to decimate her foes, as well as move in and out to avoid being hit by her enemies. Watch the video to find out how her combat works in game, recorded off the Xbox One X!

Black Desert is an upcoming MMORPG by Pearl Abyss. The game features a rich character customization system, intense combat and rewarding life skills. Pick up Black Desert for Xbox when the game goes live later this year!

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
kYRiA1K.jpg

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I played this a lot when it was released on PC some years ago.

Game is great, but it is a typical asian grinder MMORPG. When you hit max level the grind starts getting very real, and unless you want to grind for 8 hours a day then you will never become truly competitive. Such a shame, cus the main game is very fun.

Black Desert is a very pretty game and I had a lot of fun building boats and going fishing. The game is light on pve content and relies heavily on pvp. The combat system is pretty good but the open world pvp relies too heavily on gear. If you're a casual player, you'll stand no chance.

The worst aspect of the game is its progression. It relies heavily on the mind numbing grind of the same mobs over and over again as there isn't a great variety of places that are beneficial to your level range. Gear progression relies heavily on luck. Even if you grind for the items needed to upgrade your gear, there's a high chance you'll end up worse than before because the luck-based upgrading system decided to ruin your equipment. Essentially having your hours of effort go to waste.

This can be alleviated somewhat by building "fail stacks" which is a stupid mechanism to begin with and by buying items from the store, making this game essentially pay to win. You'll have a couple of hours of fun with this game until you realize how incredibly flawed the progression system really is. The progression system is not designed to be fun, it's designed to tickle money out of your pockets.

Last edited:
Let me tell you my story about my BDO experience...

Years and years ago when I was still a student I saw trailers for BDO Beta (Korea only at the time) character creator and horse riding. I was blown away and wanted in on it so badly. The combat was compared to Vindictus which I played at the time and enjoyed a lot.

This character creator still amazes me yet it also now disappoints me in its restrictions of body types and hairs styles tied to classes. Classes are also gender and race locked which is really disappointing.

Early this year I finally jumped in on BDO. At that time I ran the game below minimum specs on my PC and I was getting roughly 27fps with major dips in busy areas. In combat though which is what I wanted to play the game for, it was still a lot of fun despite my performance woes. The attacks were stylish and slaughtering enemies felt a lot more like an action game than a MMO. My initial thoughts were that it was almost too "musou-like" that is the enemies stand around or attack slowly and what hits you took were mostly insignificant. I was fighting enemies my level or higher and it wasn't an issue to defeat them at all, there was no challenge to it. But GAF assured me that things get better and there are difficulty spikes from 50 and beyond. All true, the combat remains the same and maybe even better. Not being able to take hits meant I needed to time my attacks, dodge retaliations, learn my animation cancels and how to effectively manage groups or attack whilst constantly moving to flank enemies.

Eventually, I found my character's limits without upgrading my gear. I had of course blown all my silver on a fancy costume from the marketplace, one with a nice blue flame effect on the glove (which lowered my FPS by about 9 leaving me fighting at 20fps yeah it was bad). I took time off combat and started pursuing everything else the game had to offer... A shit ton of AFK activity and a bunch of other life skills. I tried taming horses. I tried farming. I tried gathering supplies to sell (was a lot more profitable than I expected). I did some quests, I explored and dug into the map/node system.

Then I got addicted. I found the map, node, worker system fascinating. I wanted to connect all the dots. Send out an army of workers and collect, hoard all the things. I spent a long time connecting nodes, linking them, questing for things I needed like inventory space etc. I took breaks to fight stuff whenever I felt like it and I got introduced into World Bosses. I soon realised I was spending a lot of time going from place to place. I'd sometimes waste that time running to a boss only to see it die when I get there and get no loot. I needed to be at too many different places, sometimes only for a short time.

So I raised an alt. And I found that to be casual, relaxing and fun. While I grind this newbie up I could still access all my supplies. When I hit the harder areas I could bring my armor and accessories from my main as they aren't class bound. At some point in my grinding I saw a Tamer riding her Heilang.... I want that. I made a Tamer, began grinding her and that is when I lost control.

I now have 10 characters 8 of which are lv56 or higher. Learning new characters was frustrating as the combos were different and while some moves are similar they might have different key bindings. Some characters don't need to worry about resource management while others did. In the end I really enjoyed trying different classes and if not for slot restrictions I'd probably have more classes. I am currently waiting to buy my next character slot expansion with in game loyalty currency.

At this point, I can make money fairly easily if I put in the time. I make a bit just by logging into the game and letting my workers do their stuff. If I cared to do AFK activities I could also earn more. Getting better gear got put on the back burner repeatedly because I kept buying costumes off the market. I get distracted by horses on the market that can drift or I decide I need to turn one of my alts into a World Boss hunter and buy some gear for them.

I have spent a bit of money for convenience items so far. I have bought a storage and market maids. I have bought a maid costume for the perk that allows you to process items inside your storage without taking it into your inventory and a value pack (I ran out during the steam influx and it was near impossible at that time). I feel like I've definitely got my money's worth here. I've played and enjoyed the game more than most other games. I'm still learning new things and I really enjoy that I can play the game at my own pace, so much of it is achievable on your own.

Someone mentioned that there is no armor progression in the game. This is true in a way because there are not a lot of armor sets and some sets share appearance with others. What differs is their bonuses. Each armor can be upgraded towards end game levels and the armor isn't class restricted which is fantastic. I actually like a lot of the armor appearances more so than some of the costumes available for some classes.

Your experience almost mirrors mine other than the performance part of things. I played the game every day for months after it launched, even left my character fishing when I wasn't home. I finally left the game about a half a year after launch because life decided to kick me square in the nuts as hard as it could a few times in a row. I still remember having a lot of fun with the combat, it was very satisfying, and I absolutely loved the world, there were so many interesting little things fleshing it out like the giant dead lizard in the middle of a farmer's field and the caves below with another one. There was the whale washed up on the beach in the west, and when I first dipped south and started into the giant forest the tree people floored me. I have thought about getting back into the game, but the people I played with hade stopped playing, and I'd really almost need to restart at this point.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I find the systems in this game very hard to understand. They don't do a great job of explaining it in game and you may have to rely on youtube tutorials to get a full understanding of what the hell is going on. It's a very nontraditional MMO so most of the mechanics you're familiar with don't work the same way in this game. Armor is not level or class specific in a lot of cases. There are no "roles" like Tank, Healer, DPS. Everybody does dmg, some are tankier than others. The node management and worker system is super confusing. I've only hit level 28 on my ninja and have no sense of direction. My hope is that I'll pick this up on Xbox One X and play with friends and we can help each other to nail the system. On PC everybody is stupidly geared, everything costs millions of silver and Ive lost all sense of progression and challenge because of the way the game is setup. 5 minutes after getting the tutorial done, I accepted a guild invite and didn't know it. Since then I haven't heard a single word from anyone in the guild.

I don't mean to complain but I'm just sharing my experience. PC is not newb friendly. I hoping Xbox becomes a bit more inclusive because players will need that support in this game.

Fragment

It is difficult to get into. It's a pretty deep game technically with all the investment nodes and the profession system and that is defintiely NOT something that will translate well to a console game.

The gear progression system is horrendous and has caused me to quit the game three times already. And given the fact that you need to basically be logged in 24/7 to make progress or grind in this game there is no freaking way Console gamers are going to leave their consoles on overnight and for prolonged periods of time.

Also the fact that events like world bosses are on timers that console players will miss out on this thing is just reaking of being disastrous with not much content for console players.

The game lacks real content that friends can jump into and play together with especially things like dungeons, ranked pvp games, etc..

This game will fail big time on console.

Freeman76

It is difficult to get into. It's a pretty deep game technically with all the investment nodes and the profession system and that is defintiely NOT something that will translate well to a console game.

The gear progression system is horrendous and has caused me to quit the game three times already. And given the fact that you need to basically be logged in 24/7 to make progress or grind in this game there is no freaking way Console gamers are going to leave their consoles on overnight and for prolonged periods of time.

Also the fact that events like world bosses are on timers that console players will miss out on this thing is just reaking of being disastrous with not much content for console players.

The game lacks real content that friends can jump into and play together with especially things like dungeons, ranked pvp games, etc..

This game will fail big time on console.

Lol, if you think they arent going to adjust it for the console crowd you must have your head up your arse.

mamojama

Neo Member
Ive wanted to play this game since I discovered it when it was still only available in S.Korea. I never really thought it would be released in English. But Im not really into MMO. I just want to play it for the character creation. Then again, I dont really have a gaming pc and quality internet speed for it.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I loved so many of the ideas of Black Desert, however the fears of Pay to Win (or at least Pay to quickly surpass others) came to being. Sure you can do everything without paying the story, but so many of the coolest armor sets are hidden away behind absurdly priced costumes, asinine boosts (boats/wagons) instead of building them and more. Just... it kinda ruined much of the fun.

Top Bottom