• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Desert Online XB1X trailer

Some Nobody

This game looks so good. How MMO-y is it. Can you play it solo? Is the battle system the typical MMO auto-attack BS?

ViciousDS

Banned
only negative part of the game is there is literally zero armor progression.......everything looks the same from low level to max outside of maybe 2 outfits.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
This game looks so good. How MMO-y is it. Can you play it solo? Is the battle system the typical MMO auto-attack BS?
The combat system's fucking weird. It has some level of auto-attack in it, but it's different from old Korean MMOs.

How MMO-y: depends on what you mean. It's not WoW. By the traditional definition of MMO it's probably the most MMO MMO this side of the year 2000

You can play it solo. Combat is pretty action oriented and combo based, think DCUO but better. It's alright and I usually hate how MMO combat plays out

mebizzle

The action gameplay is a highlight, it is akin to a character action game with combos and real-time flashy combat. Think of it kinda like an open-world RPG with DMC combat and a persistent chatroom, towns, and world PvP at high levels.

The only bad things about it are the fact that it is a huuuuuuuuuuuuge grind and you don't get new cosmetic stuff without paying $$$, all the armor looks the same to sell costumes.

TissueBox

I'd like to get back to this eventually... I miss the cooking.

Looks nice as ever on console. Hopefully stable!

AJLma

The action gameplay is a highlight, it is akin to a character action game with combos and real-time flashy combat. Think of it kinda like an open-world RPG with DMC combat and a persistent chatroom, towns, and world PvP at high levels.

The only bad things about it are the fact that it is a huuuuuuuuuuuuge grind and you don't get new cosmetic stuff without paying $$$, all the armor looks the same to sell costumes.

Not really true, I just got the new Striker outfit off the marketplace within a few hours of deciding to try, it takes time but its doable.

Yazzees

I own it on PC and it has the worst pop-in I've ever seen, with seemingly no settings having much of an effect on it. Hope it runs better here.

The outfits can be purchased on the marketplace if someone puts them up.

I hear they tend to sell fast though.

I own it on PC and it has the worst pop-in I've ever seen, with seemingly no settings having much of an effect on it. Hope it runs better here.

The pop in is aggressive. I actually forgot there was pop in at some point though.

I guess my brain started to automatically tune it out.

Hubb

Not really true, I just got the new Striker outfit off the marketplace within a few hours of deciding to try, it takes time but its doable.

It takes time, luck, and the costume you want being one of the select few that actually gets listed. It is possible, but getting harder everyday. Specially boring if you don't have a maid.

Fast is an understatement.

mebizzle

And I'm assuming you spent those hours camping the marketplace to get it before it got sniped right? And how much time did it take you to grind the cost of it? They aren't cheap.

Yeah, high profile items like this or even ships and wagons will go up, you can attempt to buy it now and it basically puts you into a lottery queue for the chance to buy it.

AJLma

And I'm assuming you spent those hours camping the marketplace to get it before it got sniped right? And how much time did it take you to grind the cost of it? They aren't cheap.

Nope. I set a notification, once the notification pops it's on the market in about a minute.

It cost 38 million silver in game, which is reasonable imo.

mebizzle

Nope. I set a notification, once the notification pops it's on the market in about a minute.

It cost 38 million silver in game, which is reasonable imo.

That's definitely not always the case. I've seen things take 15-20 min to go from notification to posting, and you're not guaranteed the item even if you're camping.

Also, how long did it take you to grind 38 mil? Time is a cost.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
And I'm assuming you spent those hours camping the marketplace to get it before it got sniped right? And how much time did it take you to grind the cost of it? They aren't cheap..

Costumes and cash shop items that appear in the marketplace are really cheap. The problem is demand, and everyone that bids for them is given an equal chance to win the draw and the right to buy them. I've bought many pets and costumes without spending hours camping.

Yeah, high profile items like this or even ships and wagons will go up, you can attempt to buy it now and it basically puts you into a lottery queue for the chance to buy it.

You can just craft your own ships and wagons (all of which bar one you can buy any time as numerous are always stocked). Cheap to make and cheap to buy and you never really compete for those particular items.

And you don't seem to be aware of how the marketplace works. Cash shop items, after the notify, will go up within 30 seconds of a notification, non-cash shop items will go up between 10 and 15 mins.

Hubb

That's definitely not always the case. I've seen things take 15-20 min to go from notification to posting, and you're not guaranteed the item even if you're camping.

Pearl items go up in 30 seconds - 3 minutes. Regular items go up in 10-15 minutes.

Costumes and cash shop items that appear in the marketplace are really cheap. The problem is demand, and everyone that bids for them is given an equal chance to win the draw and the right to buy them. I've bought many pets and costumes without spending hours camping.

I don't mean to call you a liar, but either our definition of many is different or you're wrong.

AJLma

Once you're near endgame 38 mil isn't very much at all. Couldn't say exactly, if you wanted to grind for 38 mil it might take you about 4 hours if you're unlucky with drops, 2 if you are, but in a game like this you would be doing many things at a time to make silver ideally. I'm playing the game and buying an ingame item with the ingame currency, so I'm not exactly counting the time it takes.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I don't mean to call you a liar, but either our definition of many is different or you're wrong.

tSc8xKe.png

5000+ Hours played.

You think I'm gonna lie about how I got a bunch of Pearl items on the marketplace? Really? I also exclusively get Value Packs on the marketplace to sustain a constant subscription. Am I lying about that too? :p

gattsu

Yeah it's the most egregious example of pop in I have ever witnessed in a game. I've heard it can be mitigated by installing all onto an SSD? But even then, it's disgusting. Your brain literally tunes it out at a point and you fool yourself into thinking it isn't a problem. That being said, it is a wonderful, wierd game for what it is. It's a Korean grindfest, you'll be leveling up mostly by killing monsters around your level. At the core it's a game about efficiently killing large groups of mobs and moving to the next large group and repeating a thousand times over. But it's fun in a therapeutic, repetitive type way, like Musou games. The combat is infinitely more fun than a traditional tab MMO. It's almost like a fighting game at times. And we haven't even covered fishing, trading, land ownership... it's crazy.

My only legitimate gripe with it is the gear system. Every class only really has one set of gear in terms of looks (at least when I was playing back at release). Most "gear" is actually costume shop outfits you buy with real money. And I mean like $60 a pop real money. I'm ashamed to say I've probably spent $100 on this game. It's a really dumb system but it's what a lot of eastern MMO's will do. So if you like to collect cool endgame gear... this ISNT your game. But there's like a million other weird cool systems to explore in it that it's definitely worth the cost. $10 on steam is a steal for the amount of content you get. I think I paid like $30 at release and had a blast. Idk what Xbox price will be.

Definitely worth trying, I played on a controller on my pc when I was playing and I'm sure it will control very well on Xbox.

Hubb

tSc8xKe.png

5000+ Hours played.

You think I'm gonna lie about how I got a bunch of Pearl items on the marketplace? Really? I also exclusively get Value Packs on the marketplace to sustain a constant subscription. Am I lying about that too? :p

I mean I've been playing since the game launched, I am not sure what showing my a picture of your life skills mean. Specially since they aren't that high for 5000 hours played (afk'd).

You can get items off the marketplace, I get costumes and value packs myself. But I have to question the intentions of anyone who tries to say getting pets off the marketplace is even possible, let alone the fact that you can get many. In all the time I've played (including parts where I worked from home) I've gotten all of 2 pets off the market place. Pets are the cheapest pearl item someone can put up on the marketplace, and they are bid on by everyone. The fact that getting full T4s is luck based, you very rarely (if ever) get players who stop bidding on pets. They very rarely get put up, specially compared to costumes and value packs. I'm not bored enough to count up all the pets sold, but I'd be willing to bet that certain costumes have outsold ALL pets sold.

Is it possible to win a pet off the marketplace? Yeah, but it is also possible to win the lottery. I would never tell someone they could feasibly get a pet off the marketplace.

mebizzle

You can just craft your own ships and wagons (all of which bar one you can buy any time as numerous are always stocked). Cheap to make and cheap to buy and you never really compete for those particular items.

And you don't seem to be aware of how the marketplace works. Cash shop items, after the notify, will go up within 30 seconds of a notification, non-cash shop items will go up between 10 and 15 mins.

Yeah, I've played the game and what you're saying doesn't really match with my experience at all.

I didn't know the difference as far as pearl items go, because none of that info was ever explained and I never thought to check if there was a difference.

You can craft your own ships and wagons, if you grind the mats and the skills out, yeah. Also in my time playing, you could literally never find any ship, they sold out immediately. (This may have changed, I started around the time the Steam influx happened)

Once you're near endgame 38 mil isn't very much at all. Couldn't say exactly, if you wanted to grind for 38 mil it might take you about 4 hours if you're unlucky with drops, 2 if you are, but in a game like this you would be doing many things at a time to make silver ideally. I'm playing the game and buying an ingame item with the ingame currency, so I'm not exactly counting the time it takes.

You might not be, but it is not a negligible cost when explaining how the system works to someone new to the game. If you're talking about taking 2-4 hours to raise that amount of money, thats fine if it is just coming naturally through gameplay, though from what I have seen you have to be doing specific things to maximize efficiency to get it in that timeframe and are thus paying for it in time.

Also, to you guys who are arguing this stuff; I'm not trying to disparage the game at all as I think it is really cool. You would have to be lying to yourself or anyone else to not acknowledge that is one hell of a grind.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I mean I've been playing since the game launched, I am not sure what showing my a picture of your life skills mean. Specially since they aren't that high for 5000 hours played (afk'd).

You can get items off the marketplace, I get costumes and value packs myself. But I have to question the intentions of anyone who tries to say getting pets off the marketplace is even possible, let alone the fact that you can get many. In all the time I've played (including parts where I worked from home) I've gotten all of 2 pets off the market place. Pets are the cheapest pearl item someone can put up on the marketplace, and they are bid on by everyone. The fact that getting full T4s is luck based, you very rarely (if ever) get players who stop bidding on pets. They very rarely get put up, specially compared to costumes and value packs. I'm not bored enough to count up all the pets sold, but I'd be willing to bet that certain costumes have outsold ALL pets sold.

Is it possible to win a pet off the marketplace? Yeah, but it is also possible to win the lottery. I would never tell someone they could feasibly get a pet off the marketplace.

In the past few months, I have got 4 Boss items, 2 pets, 4 value packs and 2 premium costumes off the marketplace. No camping, no spending hours waiting.

I was trying to show ya that I've played enough of the game to understand how it works, and I've no reason to bullshit folks about it.

The marketplace is cancer. It's terrible for trying to obtain armour stones or concentrated stones, pretty much the backbone of the game's entire enchant system.

The marketplace is a lottery, but it's not hard to figure out how to get what you want out out of it. Even then, it's still pretty bad.

Zeta Oni

So do some of you who have put some time into the game feel like it's a good choice for someone's first MMO, or rather what would you say to someone going in with that background?

Everything I've seen about this game has had my attention (especially the combat, looks amazing) but outside of that I can comfortably say I'm out of my element when it comes to look for in a quality MMO.

I don't mind a grind at all as long the combat holds up.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
So do some of you who have put some time into the game feel like it's a good choice for someone's first MMO?

Everything I've seen about his game has had my attention (especially the combat, looks amazing) but outside of that I can comfortably say I'm out of my element when it comes to look for in a quality MMO.

Some of the best combat in any MMO I've played. Each class feels legit different, and the combat sandbox feels like a DMC game.

Laiza

This trailer and the previous trailer showcase considerably less pop-in than is currently in the game.

I'm curious if they managed to rein it in somehow. I suspect it's a part of that "remaster" they've been teasing for forever and a half now. I've actually slowed down my play because I kind of want to really get stuck in after they release that update.
About 1000 hours on Steam, best version of farmville I've played.
Accurate.

The "virtual world" aspect is really the biggest reason to play the game, IMO.

mebizzle

So do some of you who have put some time into the game feel like it's a good choice for someone's first MMO, or rather what would you say to someone going in with that background?

Everything I've seen about this game has had my attention (especially the combat, looks amazing) but outside of that I can comfortably say I'm out of my element when it comes to look for in a quality MMO.

The MMO-y aspects of it are great, they hearken back to the days of games like Ultima Online, which is what drew me to it. You don't have to worry about a strict progression of content, to get better gear, to do harder content, to get better gear, ad nauseam. You can go level your fishing one day, play the market the next, play through the story one day, or do whatever. It's a cool game.

Hubb

The marketplace is a lottery, but it's not hard to figure out how to get what you want out out of it. Even then, it's still pretty bad.

It is a lottery, there is nothing beyond that to figure out. Someone just starting out the game isn't going to be able to bid on pets let alone the other items unless they want to camp the marketplace (which is a waste of time). Or they get a maid, and if they are going to spend money they might as well just buy the pets.

Congratulations if you were able to actually get 2 pets over a few months. There are plenty of people who have gotten 0. Again it is all luck based, but the odds are heavily stacked stacked against the player.

Zeta Oni

The MMO-y aspects of it are great, they hearken back to the days of games like Ultima Online, which is what drew me to it. You don't have to worry about a strict progression of content, to get better gear, to do harder content, to get better gear, ad nauseam. You can go level your fishing one day, play the market the next, play through the story one day, or do whatever. It's a cool game.

Some of the best combat in any MMO I've played. Each class feels legit different, and the combat sandbox feels like a DMC game.

Thanks for the quick responses, sounds right up my alley.

Just saw some Dark Knight gameplay after looking up some classes and yeah, I'm there day one.

Slayven

They going to tighten up the controller controls? Cause they are cool at first but get ass cheeks when you start doing combos and advanced skills

What's the end game about?

There are node wars which are guild pvp stuff where you fight over control for nodes, which is basically territory for resources and taxes. But for people who aren't doing pvp, you are doing other stuff like hardcore farmville stuff. They are trying to gear up and get money, and there are lifeskills which are the means to do that. So basically you can go fishing, do trading, process materials, farming, etc. You also have a worker empire you hire from cities to gather materials and craft items for you. Good thing is after you hire them, you only need to feed them beer to make them happy. Hilariously enough, it's hinted that those drunk workers you hire are basically treated like indentured servants since there are sidequests where you track down a goblin worker who ran away from the worker supervisor. So the game also is a simulated slave driver simulator that is easily glossed over.

Ferr986

They going to tighten up the controller controls? Cause they are cool at first but get ass cheeks when you start doing combos and advanced skills

Yeah I did read they're improving controller support with the combat.

The combat system's fucking weird. It has some level of auto-attack in it, but it's different from old Korean MMOs.

There's 0 auto attack here. It's basically Dynasty Warriors with more combos.

Mephala

Let me tell you my story about my BDO experience...

Years and years ago when I was still a student I saw trailers for BDO Beta (Korea only at the time) character creator and horse riding. I was blown away and wanted in on it so badly. The combat was compared to Vindictus which I played at the time and enjoyed a lot.

This character creator still amazes me yet it also now disappoints me in its restrictions of body types and hairs styles tied to classes. Classes are also gender and race locked which is really disappointing.

Early this year I finally jumped in on BDO. At that time I ran the game below minimum specs on my PC and I was getting roughly 27fps with major dips in busy areas. In combat though which is what I wanted to play the game for, it was still a lot of fun despite my performance woes. The attacks were stylish and slaughtering enemies felt a lot more like an action game than a MMO. My initial thoughts were that it was almost too "musou-like" that is the enemies stand around or attack slowly and what hits you took were mostly insignificant. I was fighting enemies my level or higher and it wasn't an issue to defeat them at all, there was no challenge to it. But GAF assured me that things get better and there are difficulty spikes from 50 and beyond. All true, the combat remains the same and maybe even better. Not being able to take hits meant I needed to time my attacks, dodge retaliations, learn my animation cancels and how to effectively manage groups or attack whilst constantly moving to flank enemies.

Eventually, I found my character's limits without upgrading my gear. I had of course blown all my silver on a fancy costume from the marketplace, one with a nice blue flame effect on the glove (which lowered my FPS by about 9 leaving me fighting at 20fps yeah it was bad). I took time off combat and started pursuing everything else the game had to offer... A shit ton of AFK activity and a bunch of other life skills. I tried taming horses. I tried farming. I tried gathering supplies to sell (was a lot more profitable than I expected). I did some quests, I explored and dug into the map/node system.

Then I got addicted. I found the map, node, worker system fascinating. I wanted to connect all the dots. Send out an army of workers and collect, hoard all the things. I spent a long time connecting nodes, linking them, questing for things I needed like inventory space etc. I took breaks to fight stuff whenever I felt like it and I got introduced into World Bosses. I soon realised I was spending a lot of time going from place to place. I'd sometimes waste that time running to a boss only to see it die when I get there and get no loot. I needed to be at too many different places, sometimes only for a short time.

So I raised an alt. And I found that to be casual, relaxing and fun. While I grind this newbie up I could still access all my supplies. When I hit the harder areas I could bring my armor and accessories from my main as they aren't class bound. At some point in my grinding I saw a Tamer riding her Heilang.... I want that. I made a Tamer, began grinding her and that is when I lost control.

I now have 10 characters 8 of which are lv56 or higher. Learning new characters was frustrating as the combos were different and while some moves are similar they might have different key bindings. Some characters don't need to worry about resource management while others did. In the end I really enjoyed trying different classes and if not for slot restrictions I'd probably have more classes. I am currently waiting to buy my next character slot expansion with in game loyalty currency.

At this point, I can make money fairly easily if I put in the time. I make a bit just by logging into the game and letting my workers do their stuff. If I cared to do AFK activities I could also earn more. Getting better gear got put on the back burner repeatedly because I kept buying costumes off the market. I get distracted by horses on the market that can drift or I decide I need to turn one of my alts into a World Boss hunter and buy some gear for them.

I have spent a bit of money for convenience items so far. I have bought a storage and market maids. I have bought a maid costume for the perk that allows you to process items inside your storage without taking it into your inventory and a value pack (I ran out during the steam influx and it was near impossible at that time). I feel like I've definitely got my money's worth here. I've played and enjoyed the game more than most other games. I'm still learning new things and I really enjoy that I can play the game at my own pace, so much of it is achievable on your own.

Someone mentioned that there is no armor progression in the game. This is true in a way because there are not a lot of armor sets and some sets share appearance with others. What differs is their bonuses. Each armor can be upgraded towards end game levels and the armor isn't class restricted which is fantastic. I actually like a lot of the armor appearances more so than some of the costumes available for some classes.

Ferr986

I'm pretty sure this version is gonna be different than the PC version.

For example, PC version is too based around AFK life skilling, something that may be a double edged sword , it's awesome for the convenience but at the end the economy assumes you AFK lifeskilling a lot, so if you don't because reasons (power bill, noise, heat,etc) you slowly get behind the curve. They just can't pretend people will leave their consoles 24/7 so that will be adjusted.

Honestly, if I could I would migrate from PC to console, but knowing PA they'll never do it (hell, you can't use your regular account with the steam version).

Snoopycat

Banned
I'm happy this is coming to Xbox. I was going to give mine away because I never use it but I'm glad I've kept it because I've wanted to play this for a long time.

xviper

i've been interested in this game for a long time, looking forward to it, hope it doesn't disappoint, i love the MMO genre but what keeps me away from it is the awful gameplay, but Black Deseret seems to have a much better gameplay than the rest

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
only negative part of the game is there is literally zero armor progression.......everything looks the same from low level to max outside of maybe 2 outfits.
I watched the trailer, got super excited and then read this. I've never had an excitement boner be deflated so fast.

WaterAstro

Since the game is heavily PVP, this PVE showcase isn't REAL combat. You really don't need much skill to kill things in PVE, and classes are completely imbalanced for PVE.

It'll be interesting how PVP will be like when players are going to use controllers because you could do some really crazy shit on KBM. Ranger particularly has a ton of animation cancelling moves with some moves requiring mouse look lock.

Top Bottom