• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black developers @ GDC speak out on stereotypes in gaming

I work in the visual effects industry (kind of similar to the games industry) in the UK and the Netherlands and I've noticed over the past 15 years that there are simply not a lot of black people interested in working in this industry. This started from college, where out of 75 students only 1 was black.

I think the games and visual effects industry is one of the most diverse industries out there. Ive worked in teams with people from all over the world, who all have different backgrounds and cultures.
I don't know if that has more to do with the interest, or the ability. But just in general, because black people make up a much smaller section of population, there will be less black people in essentially every occupation. It would just be nice if occupations like this were roughly proportionate to the black population of the region.

There is a lot of truth in that article. Growing up in the hood and in college every black person played Madden, Live, and 2K, but me, but you also have to realize that it's a different type of black person that plays those. I've been around a bunch of black nerds and only a small percent of them play those particular sports games.

He is dead on about fighting games though, because when I used to be a competitive player, I mostly saw Negroes, and Hispanics. Keeping up with nation wide scene you can add Asians and a sprinkle of white folks in there.

There is a major diversity problem in there, that I would like to do something about. It's such a shame that I didn't really have anyone to look to in that regard. The black people working in the industry are not famous. The closest one is Reggie and he doesn't have jack to do with development. I want to run a publishing company myself one of these days, but I haven't met any other black people really who are trying to accomplish the same thing or something similar in the field. It feels like I'm alone, but that won't stop me from accomplishing my dream.

Give War A Chance said:
I don't know if that has more to do with the interest, or the ability. But just in general, because black people make up a much smaller section of population, there will be less black people in essentially every occupation. It would just be nice if occupations like this were roughly proportionate to the black population of the region.

This is not necessarily true.
https://books.google.com/books?id=D...age&q=predominantly black occupations&f=false

From my personal experience, I've seen a high number of black people outweighing white people in fast food, custodial, public transportation, and retail. I graduated from a college that was more or less predominantly white and I still saw mostly black people and Latinos working as housekeepers and cafeteria workers. On the flip side, the people with the highest graduation rate at my college are black women. Interest, income, and background do matter.

lol why would you say that? Think you're taking things too seriously, I never let any GAF thread affect my life. It's just a gaming forum
I took a months long hiatus after one really bad thread where people were very open with their ignorance and pure racism. I didn't want to deal with that anymore.

As a black rookie developer myself, I'm currently making a game with my friend and an artist. I didn't even try to get myself in any of the game companies because I felt they wouldn't hire me. So I'm taking the indie route and seeing where that takes me. In the meantime, my day-job is in the IT department of a non-profit.

One of my friends, also a black game developer, got laid off from the game company he was working at. It was a fun experience for him, but I'm not sure he got much out of it. He currently works at the IT department of a major bank.

Most black developers I know (and I know a lot; Info tech is pretty much the family business) are working in IT, even the ones that wanted to get into game design and development. Usually, it's because they are more viable options.

"Hiring is done via word of mouth," Mathews said. "It's people you know you work well with, which often means people who are like you, which often means people who are the same race."

That line about developers mainly hiring people through word of mouth, makes it even harder for people like me.

Top Bottom