• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Friday 2015 Retail Musings

leehom

Was to best buy last night and don't recall anyone with systems. Saw some with a buttload of games in their hands. Unsurprisingly, lots of people were walking out of best buy empty handed.

Is black Friday officially almost a bust?

I only did window shopping, but I went to Target, Walmart, and Best Buy. All of my observations were done at 8 PM CST.

All of the consoles were sold out at Walmart, but there was still a New 3DS XL and a couple of 2DS left over. There were several copies of Majora's Mask 3D left, but Splatoon for Wii U was gone. I forgot to pay attention to the console stock at Target, so I don't know. Many of the games there were being bought.

At Best Buy, no one seemed interested in any of consoles. There were tons of Xbox Ones, Wii Us, and PS4s on the floor.

At my one of my local gaming stores, all 3 used Vitas sold out on Black Friday. Before BF, they had been sitting in the store for months.

I did not go to Gamestop, so I don't know what happened there.

Saw a lot of people at Best Buy with the Uncharted PS4 bundle. A friend of mine mentioned she got one as well. I also noticed that the only game sold out with regards to the $34.99 and under games was Mortal Kombat X.

Chronos24

Went to local Walmart this morning about 9:30 not really caring about any sales in particular just wanted to see if it was a wreck in there. Games for all formats were hit hard. No consoles to speak of. As for games there were a couple carts and cardboard pallet things that had a lot of Titanfall in them. (Only thing I noticed a lot of). Walked out with Dying Light and Gears Ultimate for $15 each. Simple and satisfied. On another non gaming related note,there were several clothing bins lots of people were just falling into digging for cheap clothes. Seriously?! But then again, it was pretty much all that was left and I mean these people were feet hanging above their heads digging for some socks... Wow

Edit:details

Vestal

Gold Member
I hit Walmart, Target and BestBuy the last 2 days.

On Thursday Xbones were moving well at Walmart, PS4 Uncharted Bundle not so well. They had only 1 FUCKING display for games and it was a shit show, the only game I went for at Walmart was not fucking there(The Last of Us Remastered).

After that I headed to Target, Xbones and WiiUs were moving pretty well, PS4 Uncharted was meh it looked like.

Today I went to BestBuy at around 4pm and there was still a Stack about 5 feet tall of PS4s( so about 40 or so Ps4s I guess since it was 4 per) Gears Bundle was sold out, didn't check the WiiU area though so unsure about that. Walmart was also gushing with the Mario Amiibo earlier today.

All in all I would say that Xbones appeared to be moving better, or maybe people were like me and price matched the PS4 bundle earlier in the day at Walmart with Amazon to steer away from the crazy,.

Volumes will probably match last year but revenue won't unless software made a killing. And that is perfectly Ok I think. I'm for sensible growth and sustainability for the industry. Average console prices being lower will surely affect revenues.

Grabbed an xbox1 for my kids for Christmas. Couple other people buying them at the same time.

Saw a couple Ps4's walking out the door as well. Lot's of stock available of both.

Super exciting, I know.

AniHawk

nothing was out of stock at toys r us. only ps4 was out of stock at best buy. ps4 and wii u were out of stock at target.

3ds systems were everywhere. target had a couple vitas. this was from about 6-8 pm.

Dominator

I worked opening (5am) to about 2pm today at GameStop. We had 6 of the Smash/Splatoon bundles, only 2 left by the time I left. I don't remember the exact amount of the Uncharted bundles we had (probably over 25), but there were 9 left when I got out. We got sent tons (TONS) of the Gears Xbox's, so those were moving. Not as quick as the Uncharted bundles, but definitely selling. There were also the LEGO Movie bundles for Xbox One, and a few families picked that one up (only had 5 of those in store though). We had 6 Xbox One Elite consoles and only 1 left when I left. I didn't sell any of the Fallout 4 bundle or the Kinect bundle.

I'm sure we were almost wiped out (store was open another 7 hours after I left) of everything by the end of the night.

Its just my store but the Uncharted bundle was moving quicker than the Gears bundle, but Gears was definitely moving as well. This holiday will be good for both Sony and Microsoft regardless of who sells more.

Until Dawn, The Witcher III, and Batman on PS4 seem to have all sold well based on Target/Best Buy/Online impressions. Syndicate and Mad Max may be up there as well

At Target...
Witcher III was gone outside of one Xbone copy

Mad Max/Syndicate/Batman sold out

Tony Hawk had one copy left (lmao)

Evolve wasn't looking too hot in terms of sales

Sports games were totally MIA on PS4/XB1

Nintendo games seemed relatively untouched outside of $15 Animal Crossing, which sold out

Tons of PS4/XB1s left, Skylanders or Disney Infinity (IDK which) were a hot commodity

Saw a lot of people at Best Buy with the Uncharted PS4 bundle. A friend of mine mentioned she got one as well. I also noticed that the only game sold out with regards to the $34.99 and under games was Mortal Kombat X.

Tons of MKX at my best buy. I got the last until dawn however and couldn't find ff x/x-2 sadly =\ My local BB is one of the big box ones in NJ as well.

Poor Tomb Raider.

CUzZjffU8AMu4Kw.jpg

Poor whatever those boxes are on the left. Holy crap what is that?

etta

my hard graphic balls
Nobody buys xbox ones at my best buy. They had 20-30 stacked up lol. Didn't look for ps4. Its weird cuz xbox one was sold out at the 2 walmarts and 2 targets by me and I was told by a guy at one target that they sold a lot of them.
Maybe your store is in a less popular location?

Went into Best buy yesterday 30 minutes after they opened. Grabbed Rare Replay and Until Dawn and went straight to the checkout. The guy three in front of me had 3 blu-rays in his hand and bragged about how he had been there since 2pm waiting in line.

Went into Best buy yesterday 30 minutes after they opened. Grabbed Rare Replay and Until Dawn and went straight to the checkout. The guy three in front of me had 3 blu-rays in his hand and bragged about how he had been there since 2pm waiting in line.

At the bb by me there were tents set up 2 days ahead of bf lol

ProjectBerkley

Neo Member
I went to Best Buy last night solely to pick up some games and movies. Got there around 9:00 PM and overall things weren't too crazy. Lines were moving at a good clip and everyone seemed to be acting civilized. One thing worth noting is that three or four different employees saw all the games in my cart and tried to sell me on GCU. I informed them I was already a member but it was interesting because that's the first time anyone there has ever tried to sell it to me.

Anyway, picked up Witcher 3, AC Syndicate, Rare Replay, and Gears Ultimate on XB1 for myself. Got Until Dawn (plenty of that in stock surprisingly), Taken King and Diablo 3 for my brother on PS4. Realized I was going to have storage issues so bought a 1 TB external hard drive for my Xbox One. $50, pretty good deal.

Managed to get Inside Out for $10 on my way out. I had wanted to get GTA V but it was sold out so I hopped over to Walmart after I left BB and picked it up for $25. Had to get it out of the regular games case since the special displays in produce (lol) were already raided. Was worried it wouldn't ring up right but didn't have an issue. I got Lego: Jurassic World for another $25 too.

As for consoles at BB, the Tomb Raider XB1 wasn't selling at all. I saw maybe one or two gone from the huge stack. Kind of a shame because I have the game and I love it. Anyway, the Uncharted bundle was selling pretty well. I didn't see any of the Gears bundle so they might have sold out. Nobody was touching the Wii U's.

All in all it wasn't the disaster I thought it was going to be.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Slowly buying my new rig online completely. Just need a 30'+ monitor and god damn it's been hard to find a good deal on those. All those 27' inches making up the majority of the deals...ugh. Some nice LG 29's but I am not into ultra-widescreen.

The Target close-by had OK action when I arrived. Was able to snag a cheap TV for a gift easy. Didn't look into the consoles section :)

Keyouta

Went to Superstore after classes and got the PS4 Uncharted Bundle for $350 from a mistake, pretty happy with it. They had the game sales in a locked cage at customer service.

Uh no. They're saying those items sold best online. PS4 and XB1 were restricted to in store only on Thanksgiving so they and a ton of TVs and other gadgets weren't measured.

Also what I said was correct, target had there biggest one day ever online sales record. WiiU was one of top three items sold. Also last time I checked the WiiU smash/splatoon bundle was in store only so that doesn't even count towards sales.

Please read before posting ignorant responses

chrislowe

Apparently here in the dirty south we like our Xboxes... There was still a gigantic pile of Uncharted Collection PS4s this afternoon, while the stack of $299 Xbox Ones were half the size...

That, or there wasn't as much Xbox product to begin with...

I think its a pretty bad decision to make a bundle with old games like Sony did.
If I bought a new console, I wouldnt want to play the games I've already played but something new instead like Tomb Raider.

So I think Xbox actually sold way more then PS4

I think its a pretty bad decision to make a bundle with old games like Sony did.
If I bought a new console, I wouldnt want to play the games I've already played but something new instead like Tomb Raider.

Excellent reasoning. I am sure that is why the Tomb Raider bundle is out selling the PS4 Uncharted bundle by such a large margin.

They did the same thing last year as well iirc. The GTAV PS4 bundle.It did alright though I don't recall if they won NPD that month.

oSoLucky

They did the same thing last year as well iirc. The GTAV PS4 bundle.It did alright though I don't recall if they won NPD that month.

Sony also isn't bundling with a bunch of extra free games or gift cards. I'm sure they're willing to trade XB1 selling better for a weekend or a couple months for higher net revenue per unit sold(or actually making a profit on the systems).

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

Hence the Gears bundle was the best selling.

Two Words

Just came back from Wal-Mart 30 minutes ago with a Smash Bros/Splatoon Wii U bundle. I lucked out. They had one left. Not sure what suddenly made me go and buy it. Guess I've had an itch for Smash for a few years now.

Which doesn't add up at all once you take into account the piles of Tomb Raider bundles sitting in stores across North America while the Gears of War Remaster bundle at $299 is practically flying off shelves.

It is about price around this time. Both consoles are going to push a huge amount of units with their remaster bundles alone.

Opt1kon_

At My store (Gamestop) we were selling out of the cheaper bundles left and right, however i'd have to say for every 3-4 XBOX ones we sold, We ended up selling 8 or 9 more uncharted bundles, however I Can say and Confirm from the NPD Thread that Abdeil was right I've been watching the stock of our holiday/FAMILY/Gears bundles and microsoft hasn't sent us much, I Mean we have a lot but not as many PS4s (Uncharted bundles)

also surprisingly the wii u was selling well, we sold out of them, and towards the end of the day my SM came to the conclusion that we should try and price match the target down the block from us, we didn't do it because we didn't know if the DM would allow for that but the last 15 or so costumers we price matched them through targets deals so a few costumers got the $14 3 months of gold for free and the Costumers who purchased PS4s got 3 month of PS+

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Stopped at the Microsoft Store earlier today, and Xboxes were selling well. Didn't see any PS4 or U systems there. :p

Expected to see them cleared of the Bone games I wanted, but they had plenty of copies...of everything.

I never set foot in a Best Buy or Walmart.

oSoLucky

Does Microsoft usually wait until Monday to release their PR if they win Black Friday? I guess we'll know how well they did in relation to the others of we hear the bragging or not.

From Finland:

I went to a large Nordic home electronics dealer right when it opened. They had a XBONE with FIFA and Ori for 299€ and vanilla PS4 for the same price. The PS4's were gone in 15 minutes, and only saw one guy buy an Xbox.

dcb2821

From what it sounds like, whoever had more stock to sell at $299 will end up winning Black Friday, because both seem to be selling well.

Javin98

Banned

Yep, that's why we're seeing tons of the XB1 RotTR bundles flying off the shelves. Oh, wait, they haven't even grown wings yet....

Top Bottom