• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black History Month: Black women unbothered by the police

Status
Not open for further replies.
C5FdjnZUYAEJyox.jpg

What's the deal here?

She do like some sort of force push?

Amazing photos.

It's also striking how the police have evolved over the years. Look at the ghostbuster rejects in the second photo, then back at the armor plated supersoldiers in the first photo. Crazy.

Got nothing but love for my inspiring sisters out there. They've always had it the hardest and deserve more respect and recognition for what they've overcome, time and time again. Great thread.

Chichikov

Anybody got a source for this picture?
I looked but my google fu has failed me.

Third and fourth photo reminded me of this:

Soldiers with fixed bayonets send to quell protests. I hope we will never see anything like that again in western world.
To be fair, they were marching on the Pentagon, I'm fine with soldiers preventing random people from walking into the DoD headquarters, and note that they actually have their bayonets covered here and in the more famous picture from that demonstration they don't have them attached at all. So as a whole, I think it was a reasonable response from the military there (IIRC there was some FBI fuckery going on with that march, but FBI fuckery is like a constant in America).
To be fair to the protestors, they weren't planning on occupying the Pentagon, they meant to engage in low-level civil disobedience in order to give a bigger reach for their anti-Vietnam war positions, and it generally worked well.

Now if you want to talk about shit we should never see again...
g7eeE2S.jpg

Incredibly powerful images.

I had to read up the context for the first image, because as someone who doesn't live in the US, the riot gear these cops are wearing seemed so excessive to me. It's something I just couldn't understand.

A demonstrator protesting the shooting death of Alton Sterling is detained by law enforcement near the headquarters of the Baton Rouge Police Department in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, July 9, 2016.

http://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/protests-against-police-violence-baton-rouge-st-paul-dallas/

It happened a day after the shootings in Dallas, where five police officers were killed, which makes it kinda more understandable. But at the same time I feel like it's what they would've worn anyway, so I'm back to "that's just fucked up".

Apt101

The Ieshia Evans image is pretty powerful. Two goons overreacting and rushing a woman who is calmly standing there.

Zaph

What's the deal here?

She do like some sort of force push?

The riot police's instigation programming had a malfunction while trying to deal with her.

Her arms and back were exposed so they can't claim she threatened them with a hidden weapon. She's tiny so they can't claim she was physically intimidating. And she was gracious, so the 'Dehumanizing Stare' won't work either.

LionPride

Banned
I'm a Latino and I can tell you Latinas are the backbone of our community as well. Its one of the things that bothers me about any "machismo" that goes on here. We all need to be partnering and uplifting each other, not trying to "act like men" or whatever bullshit.

These ladies in these photos are as bad ass as any man I've ever met.
Women of color are always the lifeblood of their communities, it's amazing how shitty we treat them tho

I'm a Latino and I can tell you Latinas are the backbone of our community as well. Its one of the things that bothers me about any "machismo" that goes on here. We all need to be partnering and uplifting each other, not trying to "act like men" or whatever bullshit.

These ladies in these photos are as bad ass as any man I've ever met.

Pretty much, there's nothing better in this world than a strong woman. I married one and have no regrets.

D i Z

That handbag anchors the shit out of that composition. How have I never seen that image before? It's iconic as fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom