• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black incarceration rate in the US has declined over the past 16 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is genuinly surprising to me given all the stuff I see getting posted on these forums. You'd think things were getting worse. I guess that's the danger of echo chambers.

Man just say what you really want to say. If you get banned then maybe the place your posting on isn't in line with your ideals?

Dudes be sweating at the keyboard and shit trying to get their message across while figuring out how to maintain membership on a forum that they're clearly at odds with. Crazy.

marrec

Banned
Whoa, I'm really surprised. Is it because of weed legislation?

That coupled with DOJ investigations and minimum mandatory sentence law changes.

For example, in 2010 South Carolina's governor signed a sentencing reform package that abolished minimum mandatory laws for first time drug offenses.

smurfx

get some go again
many cities learned that it's far more profitable to fine the hell out of people instead of jailing them. look at how many people had warrants in ferguson.

kirblar

That's just shot. 303 were killed. About one every 29 hours.
The point is that it's a drop in the bucket compared to the number of people sitting in Jails. The rate isn't going down because people are being killed at a higher rate.

Malyse

The point is that it's a drop in the bucket compared to the number of people sitting in Jails. The rate isn't going down because people are being killed at a higher rate.

Actually the point is that both are way too high and that people on gaf can't recognize a facetious statement.

Enzom21

Nah I'm not saying that there aren't issues.
I guess that's the danger of echo chambers.
This says otherwise. If you didn't think there wasn't an issue, why would you include that last little bit?

I was just surprised by these stats given how many threads get posted here about blacks being targeted by law enforcement. Given that frequency, and the fact that I don't live in the US, I just assumed that things were getting worse, when in fact they seem to be getting better.

Incarceration rates have gotten better, but that doesn't say shit about the disproportionate mistreatment of blacks by the police.

Incarceration rates have improved, law enforcement hasn't.

Somehow Gaf is going to spin this into a negative...

...too late.
Wow I didn't know "GAF's" username was nhlducks35.

Fuchsdh

The stats for blacks aren't surprising given the decriminalization of marijuana in more and more locations and the drop of other drug offenses; neither does the increase in heroin and opiates among whites.

What is weird is this tidbit:

Consistent with this explanation, a larger proportion of white inmates have been convicted of sex crimes (16.4 percent) than have black inmates (8 percent).

What factors would lead a larger number of whites to be convicted (and in this case, jailed) for sex crimes than blacks? Is it just a matter of reporting, or something tied to socioeconomic factors?

kirblar

What factors would lead a larger number of whites to be convicted (and in this case, jailed) for sex crimes than blacks? Is it just a matter of reporting, or something tied to socioeconomic factors?
Probably both. Easier to track/get people who are using more technology. (Have a seat...)

Somehow Gaf is going to spin this into a negative...

...too late.

Way to sit on your high horse. Sure the situation is better but lets get real the situation was and is horrible in fact it was way beyond horrible. You want people to be so overjoyed black people are being oppressed less than they used to be that is so great. First black people are enslaved and are eventually released from enslavement after well a war that divide the country then they are released from enslavement but oppressed beyond measure and given no rights as citizens, experimented on, beaten tortured, had their communities burned to the ground and then they finally gain the same rights as white people and magically as if by design the war on drugs begins which by an "unfortunate stroke of luck" effects black people by such an overwhelming majority that it might as well be called another form of slavery. Slowly black people are not being jailed as often but, they are still the number one target and you want people to be happy about this.

Prob cuz they all get shot

hqdefault.jpg

As soon as jobs become scarce again and enough of the majority decry the loss of work to minorities, they'll figure out a clever way to render them ineligible for those jobs and back to poverty/prison they go.

G.ZZZ

The Drug War was a major systematic reason to put blacks behind bars, now that white people are effected by rampant legal and illegal opiate use - suddenly the problem is getting addressed.

Like in the '80 with cocaine? Please. Anti-prohibitionism (in the extremely narrow view where america = the world) has been around for almost as long as the war on drugs is. But i guess that's what living in a commie nation make you think.

noshten

Like in the '80 with cocaine? Please. Anti-prohibitionism (in the extremely narrow view where america = the world) has been around for almost as long as the war on drugs is. But i guess that's what living in a commie nation make you think.

The War on Drugs has always had racial undertones. Whether its the Opium which was linked with Chinese immigrants. Cocaine which was linked with blacks . Mexicans and Marijuana

Federal: "Fifty percent (95,800) of sentenced inmates in federal prison on September 30, 2014 (the most recent date for which federal offense data are available) were serving time for drug offenses (table 12, appendix table 5). In comparison to the 53% in state prisons, violent offenders represented 7% of the federal prison population (14,000 prisoners). Among female federal prisoners, 4% were convicted of violent crimes in 2014. Public order offenders made up 36% of the BOP population, and 9% of federal prisoners (17,000) were serving time for immigration offenses. Among Hispanics in federal prisons, 26% were sentenced for immigration offenses (16,100 inmates), and 57% were sentenced for drug crimes (36,000 inmates). Fifty-three percent of black federal prisoners were convicted drug offenders in 2014, and 25% served sentences for weapons offenses."

State: "More than half of all state prisoners on December 31, 2013 (the most recent date for which offense data are available) were serving sentences of at least 1 year for violent offenses on their current term of imprisonment (704,800 prisoners or 53%), including 165,600 persons for murder or nonnegligent manslaughter and 166,200 for rape or sexual assault (table 11, appendix table 4). A smaller percentage of females were sentenced for violent offenses (37%) than males (54%), although the proportion of those sentenced for murder was similar for males (13%) and females (11%) in state prisons. Almost 16% of state prisoners were convicted drug offenders (208,000 inmates), including 24% of all females in state prison (22,000 inmates) and 15% of all males in state prison (186,000 inmates)."

http://www.drugwarfacts.org/cms/Prisons_and_Drugs#sthash.aWpFsZC9.dpuf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom