• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Mesa now out in Early Access. $20.

Patch 1.0.1
május 7. - BMS | Hubicorn
We would like to thank everyone for supporting us during Early Access. Based on all of your feedback and bug reporting so far, we would like to introduce our day two patch to you, 1.0.1.

This patch contains critical bug fixes that will enhance your experience with our product. Please find the changelist below:

Changelog:

• Resolved, in some cases, rendering issues related to HDR & Full Brightness.
  • Fixed a bug causing animation issues when swimming in Multiplayer.
  • Set “English” as the default language for all in-game UI until translations are complete.
  • Fixed player spawning deaths in cases where another player has spawned on top of one another.
  • Fixed cases where multiplayer spectators spawn killing in-game players.
  • Fixed save / load keys not appearing in the keyboard bindings list
  • Fixed quicksave / quickload key bindings not appearing in the keyboard bindings list.
  • Fixed choose team key binding not appearing in the keyboard bindings list.

Reminder:

Please be sure to restart your Steam client and download the latest update. Running a dedicated server? Please be sure to run an update to bring your build up to date. Players running on the new client version will not be able to connect to out of date servers.

As always, be sure to report any issues you find in our discussion forums and thank you again for the support.

some people in the thread are saying they're still having the problem

yesterday's post

IMPORTANT: Performance Fix for Day One
május 6. - [BMS] Jordan Fanaris
We're aware of a few performance issues related to some of the settings in the options menu. We'll be working on a fix for these soon in an upcoming patch.

Extreme Framerate Drops & Stuttering:
You can try a couple of things if you have stuttering or poor FPS:

From the main menu go to "Options," click the "Black Mesa" tab, and uncheck the four boxes under "Performance."

These options are called "Enable DLight Manager", "Enable Muzzleflash DLight", and "Enable Battery DLight".

Possible Full Bright/No Lighting Fix:
Make sure if you are using a laptop your dedicated video card is being used.

Control Panel > NVIDIA Control Panel > Manage 3D Settings > Program Settings > Add bms.exe > Select Dedicated graphics card (field 2).

You can also try:

Find 'autoexec'.cfg in SteamApps/common/Black Mesa/bms/cfg and open this file with Notepad

Add the following lines to this file:

mat_dxlevel 95
mat_fullbright 0
mat_hdr_level 2

Save the file and launch the game to see if this fixes your issue.

We are extremely sorry for the hiccups, we'll be rolling out additional patches for some of the other issues as quickly as possible over the next few days. Thanks for your patience!

CBD550F8451246C69E5C11CBA033E0C8CE38478F

lol

I'm working on some rebalancing for the next patch. The assassins are somehow bugged and are doing 12 damage when they're meant to be doing roughly half that. Have asked a programmer to look into it.

I am also buffing up the Alien Grunts a fair bit, and the Vorts a little, toning down the Apache a bit, and a few other small tweaks.

I've also fixed the Crowbar. Its SP and MP values got swapped around somehow and its range value got set way too high. Man, the stuff which slips through the cracks sometimes

http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1266077&p=47681562&viewfull=1#post47681562

We found the Source of the assassin damage bug. We'd set NPC Glocks to do 12 damage to make the guards more useful, and it looks like the assassins draw their damage values from the base NPC Glock, rather than the cvar for their damage value - and nobody noticed, unfortunately. A programmer will fix this and hopefully the assassins will thus be nerfed in the next update, as they currently do something like 2x more damage than we had intended them to.

http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1266077&p=47683949&viewfull=1#post47683949

yeah, they were pretty tough lol

http://forums.blackmesasource.com/i...r-Fullbright-Issues/?postID=607715#post607715

Any ETA on ST/OaR uncut on the workshop?
Our lead programmer is rewriting our publishing tool to use a completely different file upload system, one without filesize restrictions. Once that is done and put out there, I will get them up immediately.

When will it be done? Hopefully within a few weeks to a month. We've got a crapload on our plate right now, as you can expect, so an exact time is tricky.

http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1266077&p=47685134&viewfull=1#post47685134

So is this basically a remake of HL1?

I'm sure they've worked hard but I'm thinking $20 is priced too high. $10 would feel more appropriate.

does Black Mesa have controller support? I know it sounds dumb, but this is a deal breaker for me :(

On the store page it says it has partial support, so probably works in-game, but no for the menu. I don't play shooters with a controlelr, but could try it out how it works.

Kama_1082

Banned
On the store page it says it has partial support, so probably works in-game, but no for the menu. I don't play shooters with a controlelr, but could try it out how it works.

ah ok, that's cool. If you could try it out, I'd appreciate it. I just play on a recliner and my carpal tunnel kicks in after 30 min of gaming on kb+m.

ah ok, that's cool. If you could try it out, I'd appreciate it. I just play on a recliner and my carpal tunnel kicks in after 30 min of gaming on kb+m.

Tried it out. It's fiddly in the menu. At first I could navigate with it d-pad to some extent, but had to use mouse to enable the joystick and then make settings like invert the look, or switch the sticks, sensitivity, however afterwards couldn't navigate the menu with it, only with mouse. Worked in-game though. Gamepad bindings were in the keyboard tab.

Kama_1082

Banned
Tried it out. It's fiddly in the menu. At first I could navigate with it d-pad to some extent, but had to use mouse to enable the joystick and then make settings like invert the look, or switch the sticks, sensitivity, however afterwards couldn't navigate the menu with it, only with mouse. Worked in-game though. Gamepad bindings were in the keyboard tab.

thank you so much for the help, I appreciate it. I could do with that!

Chitown B

there's no way to press a direction on the joystick and have it map to a direction.

This needs native 360 controller support NOW.

CHC

Man I can't wait for the Xen release so I can play this over one (highly enjoyable) period of time.

blurrygil

First time I've seen this....ever. (yeah, I'm slow and behind)

But the two trailers just made my hair stand up. Wow...do want.

*throws money at monitor*

I use Steam Big Picture on an HTPC, so I try not to have to be minimized fiddling with other software if I can help it.
Oh I get you, last night I had fun testing the default sensitivities on a controller myself. The inherent 'always run' option enabled by default felt waaaay too fast for my tastes, but after that it felt great.

Patch 0.0.2
május 19. - [BMS] Chon Kemp
The new patch is released! Introducing Black Mesa 0.0.2.

This is a much larger patch than the last one. We hope that this patch has resolved most of the serious performance issues and stuttering in multiplayer.

Please find the full changelist below:

PROGRAMMING CHANGES

• Performance fixes: Dynamic lights removed from muzzle flashes and explosions. These were causing stuttering and performance issues in MP, which should now be fixed. Dynamic light options removed from menu as they no longer do anything.
  • Loading screens: Our flashy loading screen system now works properly for MP on secured servers (the majority of servers). Previously they only worked on unsecured and listen servers. Also made some updates to the loading screens' appearance to make them a bit nicer.
  • Spawn system: Fixed all players penetrating each other to death over a single spawn point during round resets.
  • Chat box exploit: Fixed a recently discovered bug which affects all Source games and allows players to execute commands on all players using the chat box, potentially crashing the server.
  • Tripmine hitbox: Doubled the size of the Tripmine hitbox to make it easier to shoot.

BALANCE CHANGES

WEAPON TWEAKS

Crowbar

• Crowbar range reduced from 76 to 40.
  • Crowbar force reduced from 20 to 13.
  • Crowbar attack speed on hit (singleplayer) reduced from 0.2 to 0.25 (is now 4 hits per second instead of 5 - is now the same as 2012 mod release).
  • Fixed weird recoil issue where if hitting the same spot repeatedly, the player's view would drift to the right.

Glock

• Glock singleplayer damage reduced from 9 to 8 (to maintain 9mm parity with MP5).

MP5
  • MP5 spread (cone of fire) increased from 1 1 0 to 1.75 1.75 0.
  • MP5 horizontal recoil increased by factor of 1.75.
  • MP5 singleplayer damage reduced from 9 to 8.

Shotgun
  • Shotgun singleplayer damage per shot increased from 6 (48 total) to 7 (56 total).
  • NPC Shotgun damage increased from 15 to 20.

DIFFICULTY TWEAKS

• Enemy damage multiplier for hard difficulty increased from 1.5 to 1.75. Hard difficulty just got harder!

ENEMY TWEAKS

Alien Grunt

• Agrunt health increased from 96 to 120.
  • Agrunt Hivehand minimum range decreased from 256 to 128 (they are more inclined to use their Hivehand in close range, now).
  • Agrunt Hivehand max range increased from 2048 to 4096 (they are more inclined to use their Hivehand at long range, now).
  • Agrunt Hivehand usage increased and strengthened significantly:
    • Hivehand minimum burst size (minimum random number of bees fired per burst) increased from 3 to 5.
    • Hivehand maximum burst size (maximum random number of bees fired per burst) increased from 5 to 8.
    • Hivehand minimum rest interval (minimum random time between bursts) decreased from 2 to 1.
    • Hivehand maximum rest interval (maximum random time between bursts) decreased from 6 to 3.

Alien Slave

• Aslave health increased from 60 to 70.
  • Aslave zap damage increased from 20 to 30.
  • Aslave zap cone increased from 0.6 (roughly 50 degrees) to -0.70710677928 (135 degrees). They are now significantly more accurate when firing at you now.
Apache

• Apache rest time (rest time between bursts) increased from 2 to 3.
  • Apache charge time (how long it takes to charge a burst) increased from 2 to 3.
  • Apache max burst count (maximum random number of shots fired per burst) decreased from 40 to 30.
  • Apache min burst count (minimum random number of shots fired per burst) decreased from 30 to 20.
  • Apache burst hit max (how many times maximum he will hit you before he stops his burst) decreased from 5 to 4.

Assassins

• Assassin damage bug fixed. Damage is now 5 (used to be 12!)

Ichtyosaur
  • Ichtyosaur health increased from 260 to 310.

LAV

• LAV damage increased from 5 to 8.

Marines/Human Grunt

• All Hgrunt healths increased by 10.
    • Commanders: Health from 60 to 70.
    • Grenadiers: Health from 50 to 60.
    • Grunts: Health from 50 to 60.
    • Medics: Health from 40 to 50.
  • The amount a medic can heal a fellow marine was increased from 25 to 30.
  • Increased Marine accuracy very slightly by reducing their spread from 6 6 0 to 5 5 0.
MAP CHANGES

SINGLEPLAYER TWEAKS
  • Many changes have been made to the singleplayer maps. See full changelog for more details.[forums.blackmesasource.com]

MULTIPLAYER TWEAKS

• Weapon canisters dropped by players now use their HL1 behaviour - they drop the weapon + ammo that the player was using when they died. Previously they just gave you all the ammo the dead player was carrying.
  • Respawn time for all suit battery pickups increased from 15 to 30.
  • Respawn time for all chargers (health and suit) increased from 15 to 30.
  • Capacity of suit chargers reduced from 75 to 50.
  • Many changes have been made to the multiplayer maps. See full changelog for more details.[forums.blackmesasource.com]

MODEL CHANGES

• Changed the world models for the RPG and Tau to reflect their new viewmodels.
  • Updated the Hummvee to use proper specular and normal maps. Fixed lighting errors on it and improved its look significantly.
  • Fixed bad collision on some M35 (truck) variants, where players would get stuck inside them.
  • Updated the blast door model used in Surface Tension.
  • Fixed some of the pipe corner props so they are properly made of metal, insead of plastic.
  • Fixed the model properties on the Lambda Door to make it metal instead of plastic.
  • New models for the MP5 grenade and RPG ammo. Both should be more visible and unique looking now.
SDK CHANGES

• Updated the modelviewer images for the new weapons (the old ones were extremely out of date).

http://steamcommunity.com/games/362890/announcements/
and hotfixes 1 and 2

livestream

https://twitter.com/BlackMesaDevs/status/600362823902957568

Join us for The Test Chamber! We'll chat about workshop mods, patches and play DM! Follow us! http://twitch.tv/blackmesagame
CFTo81VWoAAUCgk.png

Crowbar range reduced from 76 to 40.
Crowbar force reduced from 20 to 13.
Crowbar attack speed on hit (singleplayer) reduced from 0.2 to 0.25 (is now 4 hits per second instead of 5 - is now the same as 2012 mod release).
Fixed weird recoil issue where if hitting the same spot repeatedly, the player's view would drift to the right.
Good to hear I'm not insane, this was bugging me fierce and I couldn't explain why the crowbar felt off.

epmode

I hope this patch fixed the thing where the game won't launch with G-Sync and fullscreen enabled. I have to force windowed mode and then switch to fullscreen once it loads.

I really hope they fix the low res blood textures on the gloves and give us proper viewmodel_fov and viewmodel_offset_x, y, and z support.

Sometimes the AI (vorts) just stand there unresponsive until you attack them.

Small nitpicks, but worthwhile I think (it is early access after all).

Having a ton of fun with the game!

About to test out the following workshop mods, should be easy enough.

Classic HP Charger Sounds
Classic Suit Charger Sounds
Original HEV Mk IV Suit
Original HEV, VOX, and Tram Announcer Voices

vladdamad

Has anyone tried any of the fan-made maps yet? The best single player one so far seems to be this one and it's quite good, like a really condensed version of the first half of the game. Really hope more fan-made stuff starts coming out soon, it's always really entertaining to play through.

jambo

Has anyone tried any of the fan-made maps yet? The best single player one so far seems to be this one and it's quite good, like a really condensed version of the first half of the game. Really hope more fan-made stuff starts coming out soon, it's always really entertaining to play through.

Just played this now and loved it.

It's pretty short, but really well done. I love the idea of everything being so tightly built around the one area.

Plus I love the little off shoot levels like HL Uplink and Lost Coast.

Just got to the 'Power Up' level.... Really love how the MP5 feels weighty in this, perhaps the best HL iteration of the gun- I don't think much of its HL2 variant.

Really loving how this plays, absolutely beautiful recreation. Sound mods for old files work flawlessly as well.

Edit: and it looks like it snagged nearly 30k more sales during discounts, jooooooiiiiin uuuuuuusssss.

Another dev is doing those, Tripmine Studios. They're going to be Operation: Black Mesa and Guard Duty. However for over a year they've been on radio silence.

dork

Banned
Another dev is doing those, Tripmine Studios. They're going to be Operation: Black Mesa and Guard Duty. However for over a year they've been on radio silence.
Great news. Well I remember this one took forever too. God it's bringing me back to my childhood. Amazing

PARANO1A

I bought this during the Summer Sale. I've found this game impossible to play on a controller due to the enemy design and pace. Head crabs are taking clips to beat :/ Am I the only one?

epmode

I dunno about controller support but the crowbar is built for headcrab murderin. Isn't it one kill per hit, like HL2?

Miker

I bought this during the Summer Sale. I've found this game impossible to play on a controller due to the enemy design and pace. Head crabs are taking clips to beat :/ Am I the only one?

I haven't played this, controller or not, but having played the original game, I doubt it's just you. The enemies, weapons, and difficulty were all designed around a mouse and keyboard. Maybe there's not enough auto aim with the controller enabled though?

Top Bottom