• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Mesa now out in Early Access. $20.

I bought this during the Summer Sale. I've found this game impossible to play on a controller due to the enemy design and pace. Head crabs are taking clips to beat :/ Am I the only one?
I'm playing with a controller on Hard mode and am currently half way through "Apprehension" but I've only needed to revert to KBM twice for certain encounters. Plays like a dream except no menu manipulation. :(

Use the crowbar for headcrabs, don't waste bullets.

I dunno about controller support but the crowbar is built for headcrab murderin. Isn't it one kill per hit, like HL2?
Yep.

epmode

I've been playing through this again and it really is one of the most impressive fan remakes I've ever seen. Here's hoping the soldier fights have been improved since the original release.

(Hooray @ the auto-crouch-jump option!)

Does anyone know if this is playable in VR?

It doesn't seem to be officially supported in any way. Unsure if there are any external mods.

Weapon drag looks great, and making the flashlight brighter and wider was greatly needed IMO.

Still haven't played through the Steam version all the way. I finished the mod version and loved it, bought on Steam to support their amazing work, but am mostly waiting for Xen. I do plan to use BM as a test for my Steam Controller this weekend though.

The Xen maps are massive and have complicated physics and puzzles that are probably trickier to do with Source than it was with GoldSrc, since they could fake a lot of stuff in the latter since graphics and physics were simpler.
Also they couldn't rely on "borrowing" any of the assets from HL2 + Eps for the Xen levels for obvious reasons.

Have to say, I ate a large serving of crow for Black Mesa -- grateful to have this in any form.

Arkanius

Guys, I'm really still surprised Valve is ok with Black Mesa existing and being sold.
Bets on them buying the team later on?

Just bought this on the Steam sale. Been wanting to try it out for a long time now since I was following the updates years ago. The nostalgia hit me hard, but I can't believe this was actually made. I love the graphic updates, the new gameplay elements and some of the musical score tweaks. I am only past the first part but it grabbed me the minute the train started moving!

Unit24

Just bought this on the Steam sale. Been wanting to try it out for a long time now since I was following the updates years ago. The nostalgia hit me hard, but I can't believe this was actually made. I love the graphic updates, the new gameplay elements and some of the musical score tweaks. I am only past the first part but it grabbed me the minute the train started moving!

Tweaks? They redid the entire soundtrack.

Top Bottom