• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Panther - Official Trailer

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Jesus Christ

Africa is an entire continent, it's very large with many nations, groups and cultures.

You're having a meltdown over Wakanda being so advanced while being consumed with outdated stereotypes of what you think "Africa" is like meanwhile there are millions of homeless and poor people throughout the American continent let alone the United States but I doubt you have serious expectations that the USA is going to change that
i wouldnt call that a meltdown lol

They have ancient alien technology that's why. It is weird that their world is secret.

However, Marvel-Earth has a lot of secret locations the regular world has no clue about. (The Savage Land, The Blue side of the moon, whereever it is the Inhumans live etc...)

Wakanda does not have ancient alien technology; at least, it's not the source of their technological advancement.

What they have is the largest source of the rare and powerful metal Vibranium, which they sold small amounts of for massive wealth.

I mean I have no knowledge of the comics, but in that case they see like twats.

Is it explained how a civilisation in Africa also became extremely technologically advanced? In the trailer someone mentions something about seeing Aliens come to Earth and people fly, I assumed Wakanda was an Alien civilisation or learned technology from Aliens.

It just makes no sense to me how an African civilisation without any contact from outside influence were able to have such technological feats, let alone without any other parts of Africa even having the slightest hints of it.

This makes perfect sense to me. Had there been a region not meddled with by any foreign civilization, (especially the West) Wakanda is an example of what Africa may have turned into. Especially with the amount of natural resources Africa has.

Wakanda tech is leagues beyond anywhere else because of Vibranium, which is an alien substance. It is only found in Wakanda.

Why should Wakanda share this with anyone else in the world when the US could give a flying F about Africa?

mortal

Jesus Christ

Africa is an entire continent, it's very large with many nations, groups and cultures.

You're having a meltdown over Wakanda being so advanced while being consumed with outdated stereotypes of what you think "Africa" is like meanwhile there are millions of homeless and poor people throughout the American continent let alone the United States but I doubt you have serious expectations that the USA is going to change that

His post was hardly a "melt down", come on...

I completely understand his questioning though, especially not being familiar with the lore or backstory from the comics.

Considering that the MCU portrays a realistic grounded world, where other African countries are very much in relative poverty.It raises an interesting question about the ethics of an isolationist country like Wakanda.

Why are you coming at his neck for? lol

i wouldnt call that a meltdown lol

Come on, dude is having a mental collapse over comic book science because it takes place in Africa

does he get confused at every superhero film like "wait, how can one man create a suit of armor powered by a source of energy that doesn't exist in real life and why is he the only one that has that?!?"

Jesus Christ

Only one meltdown here that I see.

Garruson

Jesus Christ

Oh, sorry, I didn't know Africa was an entire continent with many nations, groups and cultures. Thanks for clearing it up :)

I'm not having a meltdown, I simply asked how they got their technogolgy. Technology, science, and most progression in whatever field are often achieved on building on other people's findings and discoveries. So I simply didn't get how a place undisturbed by outside world influence, and surrounded by cultures and groups and nations that don't reflect Wakanda and also probably didn't reflect the growth of other continents cities or cultures, is so advanced.

I'm not knowledgeable of dates, or growing capitals and cities in the various continents of Africa and how their cities and technologies that relate to modern versions of how we know them coincide with the rest of the worlds. In this regard I probably am falling on stereotypes and the uneducated idea that modern African cities have only grown to catch up to western or Eastern in similarity in recent decades or century. I simply don't know, that's why I asked.

But boom, it's based off of Alien technology, and they're assholes and segregate that technology from the people around them. Now I know, and now I can enjoy the film without the question of how it happened, because the film looks great :D

Jumeira

Banned
Jesus, theyve just made up everything, its far too OTT for me, i mean a part of he world is like an alien planet, technology that makes no sense (beyond suspension of disbelief). Also that guy with all those disgusting bumps over his body, making my hair stand up, if i keep looking at him im going to have a physical reaction, seriously i breakout in a rash when i wince like this.

It looks like a train-wreck to me, just awful.

His post was hardly a "melt down", come on...

I completely understand his questioning though, especially not being familiar with the lore or backstory from the comics.

Considering that the MCU portrays a realistic grounded world, where other African countries are very much in relative poverty.It raises an interesting question about the ethics of an isolationist country like Wakanda.

Why are you coming at his neck for? lol

You have to look at it logically, the other regions provide a buffer for Wakanda to hide from the rest of the world.

Why should Wakanda share tech with the US who dropped an atomic bomb on innocent people?

Why should they share their tech to a nation who took their people to be slaves for them?

The only way to prevent any of their tech from getting into the hands of these people is to hide it.

IcyStorm

Jesus, theyve just made up everything, its far too OTT for me, i mean a part of he world is like an alien planet, technology that makes no sense. Also that guy with all those disgusting bumps over his body, making my hair stand up, if i keep looking at him im going to have a physical reaction, seriously i breakout in a rash when i wince like this.

How else would you have adapted Wakanda from the comics into the MCU?

Garruson

Come on, dude is having a mental collapse over comic book science because it takes place in Africa

does he get confused at every superhero film like "wait, how can one man create a suit of armor powered by a source of energy that doesn't exist in real life and why is he the only one that has that?!?"

1470404164975.png

it's not based on alien technology

Wakanda makes their own tech the same way Iron Man does, they're comic book scientists

It honestly is dumb to sit here and find it so inconceivable

mortal

You have to look at it logically, the other regions provide a buffer for Wakanda to hide from the rest of the world.

Why should Wakanda share tech with the US who dropped an atomic bomb on innocent people?

Why should they share their tech to a nation who took their people to be slaves for them?

The only way to prevent any of their tech from getting into the hands of these people is to hide it.
I don't think he was talking about the United States or European nations, just neighboring African nations mostly.

Jumeira

Banned
How else would you have adapted Wakanda from the comics into the MCU?

Not sure they should even go there, the world is so out of place with what ive seen with other stories based on earth. Ironman/Spidey suit have just look useless next to the stuff in that trailer.

hydruxo

How is that a mental collapse lmao. He just asked a question. Nothing about his post resembled a meltdown.

Yes it is Wakandan tech but Vibranium comes from space and not the Earth.

Exactly, that what makes it an alien metal but the technology is Wakanda

alien technology would mean that it was created by beings not from our planet and that's not the case. The technology is of Wakandan origin, the metal virbranium is what came from space

Alienous

Black Panther even has his swagger when he's falling. He throws those tracking balls(?) towards the vehicles like a character out of an anime.

Jaeger

Jesus, theyve just made up everything, its far too OTT for me, i mean a part of he world is like an alien planet, technology that makes no sense (beyond suspension of disbelief). Also that guy with all those disgusting bumps over his body, making my hair stand up, if i keep looking at him im going to have a physical reaction, seriously i breakout in a rash when i wince like this.

EBoSH1H.jpg

conpfreak

Not sure they should even go there, the world is so out of place with what ive seen with other stories based on earth. Ironman/Spidey suit have just look useless next to the stuff in that trailer.

It's literally supposed to be like that, and Wakanda has been characterized like this for a LONG time. Way before the MCU existed.

Garruson

I don't think he was talking about the United States or European nations, just neighboring African nations mostly.

That's exactly what I meant, it just seems odd to hide it from neighboring countries, or tribes or any outside people nearby.

I only asked because from my understnading most technological, medicinal and philosophical advancements derives from trade, war, knowledge sharing etc.

And there's such a thing in fiction that even if something is fantastical, or magic, it still needs to be believable in the world it's in. And I'd assume that the world Marvel is in the rest of the world gained its technology and knowledge through the exact same way our world did... which is through war, trade, invasions, cultural assimilation etc. so in that sense yes I do find it hard to believe, but yes I will still see the film because it looks great and I really enjoyed Black Panther in Civil War. I have no other exposure or knowledge of the character outside of what I've seen.

If such a simple question or discussion makes you think that I'm having a meltdown perhaps look in the mirror?

The Kree

Banned
Wealthy advanced nations withhold shit from poor countries in the real world too. You know why it happens and you know things get complicated.

Yeah I really don't see how Wakanda is so unbelievable in the MCU

everything else you can accept but your brain refuses Wakanda, I don't know what to tell you

Cuburt

Did they go back and reduce the eye size? Doesn't look goofy like in the first trailer.

Yeah, seems like it.

Old.
7SxEIFD.png

New.
6VYm4K8.png

So glad they did this. It was my only gripe with the new redesign, and now I feel pretty confident in saying the new design is the superior design.

Alienous

That's exactly what I meant, it just seems odd to hide it from neighboring countries, or tribes or any outside people nearby.

I only asked because from my understnading most technological, medicinal and philosophical advancements derives from trade, war, knowledge sharing etc.

And there's such a thing in fiction that even if something is fantastical, or magic, it still needs to be believable in the world it's in. And I'd assume that the world Marvel is in the rest of the world gained its technology and knowledge through the exact same way our world did... which is through war, trade, invasions, cultural assimilation etc. so in that sense yes I do find it hard to believe, but yes I will still see the film because it looks great and I really enjoyed Black Panther in Civil War. I have no other exposure or knowledge of the character outside of what I've seen.

If such a simple question or discussion makes you think that I'm having a meltdown perhaps look in the mirror?

I think some people infer racism from "How did Wakanda achieve this?" questioning. I'm also inclined to ask those questions, and over-analyse the fiction. In reality Wakanda is technologically advanced because Stan Lee thought it would be a nice change of pace to represent an African country that way, or maybe just to sell comic books.

I don't know if there's a compelling in-canon explanation. I'd just assume that Wakanda is a country that takes the sciences seriously - funding that directly rather than wars, or entertainment distractions.

Neece

This “why don’t they share the tech with their neighbor Africans? plays into the stereotype that Africa is a single country or that they are a single people with motivations that are shared for the entire continent. They don’t share like any other world power that has ever isolated themself from the outside world. They have a special resource and they don’t want anyone coming in to fuck with it like every other part of the world that has wars and genocide for resources.

Ditto the “but the rest of Africa is poor so why don’t they share” sentiment. That just ignores world powers now that don’t share their technology and wealth with the poor countries across the border.

Them being neighbors with other African nations or tribes doesn’t mean they would naturally be allies and not enemies. Look at the neighboring powers in Europe, Asia, and The Americas throughout history.

Why not? You had colonial nations pillaging, enslaving, destroying culture and dividing African nations for hundreds of years. They are a geographically isolated country with a lot of natural wealth. They would realistically have no reason to expand because of their resources. It really isn’t difficult

Slayven

Tony can build a nuclear reactor in a cave with just a weilding torch

Captain America can get a shot in the ass and suddenly he can bench press a helicopter

Thor can fly by twirling a hammer

But Black People with computers is where it gets TOOOOOO CRAZYYYY

LOL every time I tell you

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
So glad they did this. It was my only gripe with the new redesign, and now I feel pretty confident in saying the new design is the superior design.

Same.

I really disliked the new helmet but the fixed version actually looks better than the old one now. Before the cat stuff looked goofy because of the propositions but now it looks badass.

Wakanda in the MCU is only just starting to open up to the rest of the world and sharing knowledge. They've had a long history of invaders and thieves coming to steal their technology and vibranium to use for nefarious purposes so yes they are not automatically trusting of every other nation in Africa. When they finally did open up and send diplomats to another country we saw what happened.

And T'Challa is fighting ideals within his own country about opening up, which is the damn premise of the movie. Killmonger doesn't want Wakanda to come out of the shadows and wants to usurp the throne because he feels it is going in the wrong direction.

Jumeira

Banned
Serious question: What's it like to not have an imagination?

Dont be so dense, BP isnt the only representation of fantasy, itd be hard to enjoy Miyazaki films, LoTR, Blade Runner, StarWars etc if that was true right? I have a problem with senseless depiction of life/worlds/tech where they contradict their own laws. After viewing this trailer have no interest in this movie, and thats fine.

Also found out i have trypophobia, i react severely to visuals of circular clusters, can be holes, circles or bumps, my body breaks out in a painful rash, i cant watch it even if i wanted to.

Actually, they cover this in Hickman's run on New Avengers. It's a piece of a larger conversation about a "king's morality." Like any world leader, sometimes a king does things that are considered immoral to normal people in order to protect their country.

In the case of Wakanda, they specifically turned away people in order to protect Wakanda, and ensure it thrived. It's like being a country with immeasurable wealth, right? The more you share it, the less you ultimately have. On top of that, as a civilization continues to grow, it can be difficult to keep certain values intact.

Keep in mind, even - this isn't across racial lines or anything. Literally just their borders. That can be a good thing or a bad thing... But ultimately, in the comics T'Challa decides Wakanda should be connected to the world.

The Kree

Banned
*Ultron uses Vibranium to turn a city into a meteor.*

I just don't understand why Wakanda has been so stingy with their stuff! Gosh!

Alienous

Yeah I really don't see how Wakanda is so unbelievable in the MCU

everything else you can accept but your brain refuses Wakanda, I don't know what to tell you

Because it isn't predicated on catch-all magic. It's "there are human beings on planet Earth that managed to achieve this", and I think it's fairly natural to ask "How?".

Tony can build a nuclear reactor in a cave with just a weilding torch

Captain America can get a shot in the ass and suddenly he can bench press a helicopter

Thor can fly by twirling a hammer

But Black People with computers is where it gets TOOOOOO CRAZYYYY

LOL every time I tell you

I think that's a misconception. If I was told Sweden in the MCU had achieved a technological utopia it would elicit the same questions.

Dont be so dense, BP isnt the only representation of fantasy, itd be hard to enjoy Miyazaki films, LoTR, Blade Runner, StarWars etc if that was true right? I have a problem with senseless depiction of life/worlds/tech where they contradict their own laws. After viewing this trailer have no interest in this movie, and thats fine.

Also found out i have trypophobia, i react severely to clusters of holes, circles or bumps, my body breaks out in a painful rash, i cant watch it even if i wanted to.

You, on the other hand... How did you watch any other superhero movies where this was not the case. What makes this any crazier than the rest?

Top Bottom