• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Acolyte premieres June 4th on Disney+

ManaByte

Gold Member
9NHRnBo.jpg

Trailer will be out tomorrow officially. This is the series set at the end of the High Republic era.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I’ll give it a chance! New era hopefully means cool trooper designs & spaceships different from the Prequel & OT eras.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I’ll give it a chance! New era hopefully means cool trooper designs & spaceships different from the Prequel & OT eras.
Play Jedi Survivor if you want to know how it looks. There’s a lot of High Republic stuff in that game. It’s the height of the Jedi.

DKehoe

This is one I've been more interested in than some of the others since it feels like it might cover ground that's a bit different from the previous stuff.

ManaByte

Gold Member
"In The Acolyte, an investigation into a shocking crime spree pits a respected Jedi Master (Lee Jung-jae) against a dangerous warrior from his past (Amandla Stenberg). As more clues emerge, they travel down a dark path where sinister forces reveal all is not what it seems…."

Description from Starwars.com

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
https://bleedingfool.com/movies-tv-...or-issues-with-disneys-next-star-wars-series/

Comments from director in article:

“…white women need to kind of step up their game, to be quite honest. Sorry, but I’m calling you bitches out. You really do. ‘Cause like, I couldn’t agree more with everything these women are saying, but I’m also seeing the silent killer, which is a lot of white women at the top who are kind of reinforcing a lot of old ideas.”

“I find it a lot as a gay woman, with gay characters, whether they be gay men or gay women, where I’m saying, ‘that’s not a gay person.’ You basically want me to cast someone that you find attractive, straight white man.”

Hard pass.....fuck Kathleen Kennedy and her continuing to push woke garbage into Star Wars.

jason10mm

Gold Member
https://bleedingfool.com/movies-tv-...or-issues-with-disneys-next-star-wars-series/

“…white women need to kind of step up their game, to be quite honest. Sorry, but I’m calling you bitches out. You really do. ‘Cause like, I couldn’t agree more with everything these women are saying, but I’m also seeing the silent killer, which is a lot of white women at the top who are kind of reinforcing a lot of old ideas.”

“I find it a lot as a gay woman, with gay characters, whether they be gay men or gay women, where I’m saying, ‘that’s not a gay person.’ You basically want me to cast someone that you find attractive, straight white man.”

Hard pass.....fuck Kathleen Kennedy and her continuing to push woke garbage into Star Wars.
I want you to close your eyes and try to imagine what the person saying this looks like. Picture her, they/them, him, whatever in your mind. Ready? Ok, now click...

pKInYF4.jpg

Were you close?? :p

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

Leaving Disney+ was a good decision.

Billbofet

I predict critics will adore this, the normal SW defense force on gaf will carry water for it, YouTubers will rage, and not many will watch it.
I do hope it's good though, but damn they need to not let their showrunners and directors interview or promote anything. They just can't help themselves.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Director sounds like an idiot but I’ll still watch it. It has the girl from Logan in it and she was crazy good in that so I’m mostly just curious if she became a good actress or if it was one off kid actor thing.

LordCBH

And yup. Passing on this turd.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I predict critics will adore this, the normal SW defense force on gaf will carry water for it, YouTubers will rage, and not many will watch it.
I do hope it's good though, but damn they need to not let their showrunners and directors interview or promote anything. They just can't help themselves.
To be fair, I think she said that junk in 2019 at some DEI summit, so naturally she is just playing to the crowd.

Still, why hire her? Off the high octane action and thrills of......Russian Doll??? She has like ZERO action/adventure in her background, so this is gonna be 100% talkie relationship drama and preachy-preachy with rando action shots made by someone else thrown in. If it is even half as coherent as the mess that was Obi-Wan I'd be surprised.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

I didn't think my expectations could get any lower........
As in that they are low? or in reference that the amazing High Republic era character that's literally a rock?
960x0.jpg

There we go. I knew they could get a little bit lower.

Star Wars is dead to me. Dead.

To be fair, I think she said that junk in 2019 at some DEI summit, so naturally she is just playing to the crowd.

Still, why hire her? Off the high octane action and thrills of......Russian Doll??? She has like ZERO action/adventure in her background, so this is gonna be 100% talkie relationship drama and preachy-preachy with rando action shots made by someone else thrown in. If it is even half as coherent as the mess that was Obi-Wan I'd be surprised.
Considering Leslye Headland was Harvey Weinstein Personal Assistant when she worked at the Weinstein Company I'd imagine she knows where the bodies are buried and finagled her silence into an unmerited career path at Disney(probably protecting some perverted bigwig) as it seems weird that Kathleen Kennedy would stick her neck out and actually want to hire her at Lucasfilm especially considering how these media companies tend to avoid hiring people even if it's potentially just bad press from guilt by association.

She also looks like impending doom in human form which I'd imagine would normally be a negative considering she's the face of their big new Star Wars I.P...
690c03c5560497cf612531f0116f99b2f3-leslye-headland.rsquare.w330.jpg

She looks like a young Ernest Borgnine

AP_ernest_borgnine_jt_120708_wblog.jpg

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I just want a Revan movie/show, the old republic beauty, jedi and sith in their prime, smugglers, imperial agents doing spy shit, all that. The potential for amazing early-GoT quality levels of twists and brutality is there and Hollywood would rather just be fucking stupid.

GymWolf

Disney make things too easy for us.

They don't even try to disguise that shit to trick people.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

That explains the period blood in the poster…

jason10mm

Gold Member
Considering Leslye Headland was Harvey Weinstein Personal Assistant when she worked at the Weinstein Company I'd imagine she knows where the bodies are buried and finagled her silence into an unmerited career path at Disney(probably protecting some perverted bigwig) as it seems weird that Kathleen Kennedy would stick her neck out and actually want to hire her at Lucasfilm especially considering how these media companies tend to avoid hiring people even if it's potentially just bad press from guilt by association.
This very interesting, didn't know that. I imagine the "militant lesbian" part involved feeding off his scraps no doubt. How many starlets had to give this lady a tounge bath to get the "priviledge" of sitting on Harvey's couch just to get a bit part in some Miramax film?

Or her radical persona is just a preemptive defense screen against the #metoo crowd coming for her.

AJUMP23

Gold Member

She also looks like impending doom in human form which I'd imagine would normally be a negative considering she's the face of their big new Star Wars I.P...
690c03c5560497cf612531f0116f99b2f3-leslye-headland.rsquare.w330.jpg

She looks like a young Ernest Borgnine

AP_ernest_borgnine_jt_120708_wblog.jpg

We need a new hope.

Doom85

You are talking about a company that had Thrawn trilogy all written and instead of doing that as EP VII-IX they did what they did.

That was never going to happen. Harrison Ford has wanted out since Return of the Jedi as he never thought much of the character Han compared to his roles of Indy and Deckard, I guarantee you he only agreed to do TFA if they killed him off. And they must have paid him a ton to do the cameo in TROS.

Cyberpunkd

That was never going to happen. Harrison Ford has wanted out since Return of the Jedi as he never thought much of the character Han compared to his roles of Indy and Deckard, I guarantee you he only agreed to do TFA if they killed him off. And they must have paid him a ton to do the cameo in TROS.
Star Wars made him, he should have a little respect.

Deckard was good, Roy Batty was much better. People remember Hauer’s monologue, they don’t remember anything Deckard related. Indiana was good though.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
You are talking about a company that had Thrawn trilogy all written and instead of doing that as EP VII-IX they did what they did.
No company would release a Star Wars sequel to ROTJ where Chewbacca was crushed by a planet. That’s why they didn’t adapt the terrible EU books.

Doom85

Star Wars made him, he should have a little respect.

Deckard was good, Roy Batty was much better. People remember Hauer’s monologue, they don’t remember anything Deckard related. Indiana was good though.

To be fair, I could understand him being burned out. Regardless of what others claim, the original trilogy was not planned out (George Lucas himself confirmed this in 2010), and one thing was Return of the Jedi was not originally planned to be the end of a trilogy, just a new installment in the series. However, due to various circumstances, they decided to not keep making new entries past this one for the time being and altered the story to make it an ending to a trilogy.

In fact, when Yoda said, “there is another” in Empire Strikes Back, Lucas and crew had zero idea who Yoda was actually referring to, they put the line in as a backup in case Mark Hammil wanted out at some point during the continuous movies they were originally thinking of making so then they could introduce a new character as the lead and have them be the “another”. When they realized they’d be temporarily stopping with 6, they just went with Leia being the “another” and made her Luke’s sister (so no, Lucas and crew did not write one short kiss and one long kiss scene in 4 and 5 respectively knowing they were twins, they made up that revelation with 6).

Mind you, Lucas has made some inconsistent descriptions about the behind-the-scenes of the first three films over the years, so if you find contradicting info to this, that’s not surprising and it’s up in the air how much they did or didn’t plan on, alter, etc.

Doom85

No company would release a Star Wars sequel to ROTJ where Chewbacca was crushed by a planet. That’s why they didn’t adapt the terrible EU books.

Well, that happens LONG after the events of the Thrawn trilogy. The Thrawn trilogy is actually really good, but yes the original EU was an even mix of good stuff and idiotic and sometimes “was the writer on drugs?” garbage.

Honestly, Chewie’s death wasn’t my issue with New Jedi Order, mine was it was fucking nineteen books long! I got to the halfway point and had to stop for my sanity’s sake.

Like, yes, the Yuuzhan Vong were cool, but this shit did not need to be drawn out that long, for fucks sake.

Not to mention a bunch of plot threads go nowhere due to constantly switching authors, and nothing comes of the major set-up for Anakin Solo due to Lucas deciding against it as he didn’t like people confusing him for his grandfather (who the hell would be reading a book this far into the timeline and make that mistake? For fucks sake, Lucas!). Which also changed their plans for Jacen, which then ultimately lead to his character being flushed down the drain in the next book series.

So yeah, at that point, the original EU was dead to me.

Well, that happens LONG after the events of the Thrawn trilogy. The Thrawn trilogy is actually really good, but yes the original EU was an even mix of good stuff and idiotic and sometimes “was the writer on drugs?” garbage.

Honestly, Chewie’s death wasn’t my issue with New Jedi Order, mine was it was fucking nineteen books long! I got to the halfway point and had to stop for my sanity’s sake.

Like, yes, the Yuuzhan Vong were cool, but this shit did not need to be drawn out that long, for fucks sake.

Not to mention a bunch of plot threads go nowhere due to constantly switching authors, and nothing comes of the major set-up for Anakin Solo due to Lucas deciding against it as he didn’t like people confusing him for his grandfather (who the hell would be reading a book this far into the timeline and make that mistake? For fucks sake, Lucas!). Which also changed their plans for Jacen, which then ultimately lead to his character being flushed down the drain in the next book series.

So yeah, at that point, the original EU was dead to me.

Nah NJO was fantastic

Also Lucas is way better than most of the shit Kathleen Kennedy shits out

I love EU especially the EU Post Hand of Thrawn Duology

I'm hoping this Acolyte show is good due to being a huge Prequel/The Clone Wars show. But seeing who's in charge and what was talked about when it comes to making that show. Yeah I'm being extremely wary of the show so far

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Decent trailer, just not sure how they are going to screw it up. First lightsaber being yellow is no accident. They want to show you how cool Rey was with her yellow saber.

I will watch, but I don't know that I have any faith in SW. I do like a world with a lot of jedi.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Well cut trailer but looks like more ground we have covered over and over and over. And that red dredlock thing going on there.......not working for me. I'm just imagining her in her ship, lightspeeding from planet to planet, tediously maintaining that hairdo all the while. Not feeling much charisma or energy from the lead asian guy either but I don't think I'm familiar with his work to know what he is capable of.

They GOTTA get away from those Tatooine robes for Jedi though, it's like having bellbottom jeans and plaid vests even AGES after/before that was a fashion.

I just hope to god they put real thought and time into lightsaber choreography. If we get another run of "stabbed through the torso, you'll be fine in a week" bullshit I'm gonna burn my Special Edition VHS tapes and be done with Star Wars for good!*

*no I'm not, those are my precious treasures even if I'm not sure I can even watch them anymore!

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Every ethnicity and gender under the sun is represented in this trailer - except white men.

Sybrix

I'll watch it but given the track record, i anticipate 60%-70% of the episodes will be filler crap with 2 or 3 being decent.

Last edited:
Top Bottom