• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Acolyte premieres June 4th on Disney+

10zqf6ai9bpc1.png

Looks like a Star Wars fan film

StueyDuck

This x100.
For heavens sake people show some Goddamm Intergrity Already.
It's the Netflix people.

And I don't mean the show is on Netflix, I mean people that are so ingrained in the Netflix style of viewing where basically if it exists I must watch it because it's content and I need more content.

Instead of watching something because it is quality or interesting or entertainment or just has good values for the family.

HoodWinked

First time hearing about this but was pleasantly surprised to see the guy from Squid Game.

It's going to be tough for them, there is just total Disney fatigue with all of their properties. While Netflix can churn out garbage without the same baggage.

‘Someone is killing the jedi…it doesn’t make sense’

I’m confused because the way he words this(or at least how the trailer’s words are cut) implies that this will be the first known existence of a Sith.

Regardless, I’ve been begging for them to finally unshackle themselves from the George Lucas timespan and they are finally doing it.

Even if this flops, I hope they keep trying, because I don’t want them to go back to the safety blanket of milking the prequels and OG trilogy for easy views.

Banjo64

cumsessed
State of this.

In an age of light, darkness rises.

Do they have to be so pathetically creatively bankrupt in everything they do?

That’s a strap line I would think of for a year 7 English project.

SJRB

Gold Member

I’m confused because the way he words this(or at least how the trailer’s words are cut) implies that this will be the first known existence of a Sith.

Regardless, I’ve been begging for them to finally unshackle themselves from the George Lucas timespan and they are finally doing it.

Even if this flops, I hope they keep trying, because I don’t want them to go back to the safety blanket of milking the prequels and OG trilogy for easy views.

You are already putting more thought into it than anyone from that show has done.

This is the franchise that "explained" one of the most mindboggling events in the galaxy with a random "somehow Palpatine returned" and actually thought that was enough of an explanation. These idiots can't write a compelling story to save their lives.

Andor is a fluke, an anomaly.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Decent trailer, just not sure how they are going to screw it up. First lightsaber being yellow is no accident. They want to show you how cool Rey was with her yellow saber.

I will watch, but I don't know that I have any faith in SW. I do like a world with a lot of jedi.

There were Jedi with yellow light sabers LONG before Rey. Watch this.

ManaByte

Gold Member

It's set in the High Republic. The height of the Jedi and when there were no Dark Side users around. The main threat the Jedi dealt with in that era were space Vikings.

AJUMP23

Gold Member

There were SITH in the old republic. KOTOR and other Old Republic comics have the Jedi dealing with Sith.

Trunx81

What has always bothered me is that the technology didn´t change that much in 1000 years. Already broke my immersion in the KOTOR games. Same weapons, same interfaces, same ships (although a bit different design). You would think that 1000 years could be enough to have a few upgrades.

jason10mm

Gold Member
What has always bothered me is that the technology didn´t change that much in 1000 years. Already broke my immersion in the KOTOR games. Same weapons, same interfaces, same ships (although a bit different design). You would think that 1000 years could be enough to have a few upgrades.
I thought the general idea was the Republic we see in the OT was Rome in its decline, so would older stuff be MORE advanced, or less?

I know lots of folks will collapse a few thousand years of pre-gunpowder/ICE tech into one era as if Vikings were running around with sculpted steel breastplates and Romans had fully armored cavalry with stirrups and lances like a teutonic knight but it would be nice to have more differentiation in Star Wars eras.

They gotta hit those touchstones of driods, sabers, and articulated walker vehicles though. Be weird to see wheeled cars, helicopters, or non aerodynamic spaceships.

Trunx81

I thought the general idea was the Republic we see in the OT was Rome in its decline, so would older stuff be MORE advanced, or less?

I know lots of folks will collapse a few thousand years of pre-gunpowder/ICE tech into one era as if Vikings were running around with sculpted steel breastplates and Romans had fully armored cavalry with stirrups and lances like a teutonic knight but it would be nice to have more differentiation in Star Wars eras.

They gotta hit those touchstones of driods, sabers, and articulated walker vehicles though. Be weird to see wheeled cars, helicopters, or non aerodynamic spaceships.
This could be the case for a few planets, but for a whole Galaxy? But on the other hand, we are talking about SciFi with magic lightsaber users, so suspension of disbelief is a go.

jason10mm

Gold Member
This could be the case for a few planets, but for a whole Galaxy? But on the other hand, we are talking about SciFi with magic lightsaber users, so suspension of disbelief is a go.
Given the "hop, skip and jump away" it seems almost all planets are in Star Wars, I don't see why there would be much divergence in technology. We "hear" a lot about the Rim and galaxys edge and stuff "far from the Core worlds" but we never really SEE any of it in that context, folks can pop back to Corusant for lunch from pretty much anywhere.

It would be cool to see factions or groups with unique visual aesthetic. We got rebel and imperial stuff from the OT, a little bit of Clone army versus seperatist in the PT, but the later stuff has been devoid of anything new. So I'm dubious that we will see cool new things in this show, but it would be nice as the production/SFX teams for these disney SW shows have been professional and top notch (couple episodes of Fett aside) and are probably LOADED with ideas if the lead creatives would just listen to them.

Toons

I read the first run of the main comic from the high republic and they were solid, i know its unlikely but id love to see a few of those characters. They had a trandoshan jedi that was pretty neat.

nush

I'm calling it now, Red Dreads gets a redemption arc and comes back to the light......

You're not wrong, I predicted the same when Riva showed up in Obi Wan. The writers can't help themselves as self inserts. Darth Vader style sacrifice at the end of the series.

ManaByte

Gold Member
They never really were anyway. George called the Expanded Universe "the licensing world" lol
George didn’t read the books at all.

He did like the comics though and bought all of the original art from the recent Marvel Han Solo mini series.

Dazraell

I remember being very excited about this show when it was announced, but honestly the trailer didn't really worked for me. Not sure what it was exactly or if it's just a burnout caused with multiple mediocre Star Wars tv series in recent years that didn't met my expectations (Book of Boba Fett, Obi-Wan, Mando Season 3, Ahsoka). I'm curious how they will show The High Republic era on live action though, some stuff here already looks neat

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It's the Netflix people.

And I don't mean the show is on Netflix, I mean people that are so ingrained in the Netflix style of viewing where basically if it exists I must watch it because it's content and I need more content.

Instead of watching something because it is quality or interesting or entertainment or just has good values for the family.
Bro I work out 15 hours a week in front of a TV, give me all the content.

RagnarokIV

Star Wars was THE FUCKING BOMB way back when.
Imagine as a kid/teenager someone told you “in the future Star Wars will mean fuck all, and the announcement of a new entry will make you shake your head in disappointment”

What the fuck have they done.

Last edited:

Toons

Not even true (the second sentence)

Literally the next tv show has a white male jedi as the lead(played by jude law)

I can't stand these disingenuous ass comments like that. These are the same folks saying "its not that theyre a minority!! Just make new characters that are minorities and we'd be fine with it"

Ok well here you go, they did that. These are all brand new characters so it should be fine right? Nope, STILL the same complaints. This is why people start to think its got more behind it than just being about whether characters are new or not.

Im all for critiquing and criticizing star wars on a projects merits, even preemptively so to an extent if you havent enjoyed previous stuff. But when you start simply seeing a group of mostl not white characters and immediately associating it with "woke" negativity BS out the gate it becomes increasingly harder to give those comments benefit of the doubt. I'll probably get flack for this too but I see it all the time. Have some principles people. Sorry to the mods if this is moddable but it needs to be said.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Literally the next tv show has a white male jedi as the lead(played by jude law)

I can't stand these disingenuous ass comments like that. These are the same folks saying "its not that theyre a minority!! Just make new characters that are minorities and we'd be fine with it"

Ok well here you go, they did that. These are all brand new characters so it should be fine right? Nope, STILL the same complaints. This is why people start to think its got more behind it than just being about whether characters are new or not.

Im all for critiquing and criticizing star wars on a projects merits, even preemptively so to an extent if you havent enjoyed previous stuff. But when you start simply seeing a group of mostl not white characters and immediately associating it with "woke" negativity BS out the gate it becomes increasingly harder to give those comments benefit of the doubt. I'll probably get flack for this too but I see it all the time. Have some principles people. Sorry to the mods if this is moddable but it needs to be said.
Quite the spirited defense of a show made by the woman who organized all of Harvey Weinstein’s casting couch meetings. It’s increasingly difficult to give your comments any benefit of the doubt.

Toons

Quite the spirited defense of a show made by the woman who organized all of Harvey Weinstein’s casting couch meetings. It’s increasingly difficult to give your comments any benefit of the doubt.

I've not watched the show.

Im not defending the show, or whenever is behind it. I know neither her name nor her past, and it isn't relevant to what I'm addressing. im addressing a comment made in this thread, and defending the shows casting, which as of now should bear little on its merit as a show itself.

The comment i was addressing was a disingenuous, trolling teir comment from any angle implying that "white people aren't allowed" in star wars because a show comes out that doesnt have them as the majority of the cast. if I went into a topic about Oppenheimer saying "I guess no black people are allowed" because its cast is majority white, it would be justifiably deleted, if not get me banned, because its disingenuous and trolling to say something like that for something like this.

I dont think my comment requires benefit of the doubt at all. I was very specific about what I was addressing, and that was openly criticizing a ridiculous comment that doesn't need defending. I am quite spirited in this subject, being a black man and a star wars fan for life.

Its entirely possible for wheoever is behind the show to have questionable ethics, and for that users comment to still be stupid, and it was stupid, and i think it should be treated as such. If I have to die on that hill then I will.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I've not watched the show.

Im not defending the show, or whenever is behind it. I know neither her name nor her past, and it isn't relevant to what I'm addressing. im addressing a comment made in this thread, and defending the shows casting, which as of now should bear little on its merit as a show itself.

The comment i was addressing was a disingenuous, trolling teir comment from any angle implying that "white people aren't allowed" in star wars because a show comes out that doesnt have them as the majority of the cast. if I went into a topic about Oppenheimer saying "I guess no black people are allowed" because its cast is majority white, it would be justifiably deleted, if not get me banned, because its disingenuous and trolling to say something like that for something like this.

I dont think my comment requires benefit of the doubt at all. I was very specific about what I was addressing, and that was openly criticizing a ridiculous comment that doesn't need defending. I am quite spirited in this subject, being a black man and a star wars fan for life.

Its entirely possible for wheoever is behind the show to have questionable ethics, and for that users comment to still be stupid, and it was stupid, and i think it should be treated as such. If I have to die on that hill then I will.
Ah, so we should extend benefit of the doubt to you but not the people you target. At least we know your intentions are pure, since you said so.

Kacho

It's the Netflix people.

"Netflix people" lol... I like that. There's truth to what you're saying.

It's hard to get a read on how people feel because we're all in our own little bubbles. Was seeing a lot of negative impressions today so I thought I'd pull up the official trailer and see how it was going. The number of dislikes really took off. You can tell people are still interested in Star Wars with the trailer being #2 in trending at 7 million views. But Disney just isn't hitting the mark. Maybe one of these days...

cqmRP61.png

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I can barely raise any interest in this slop anymore... but I watched the trailer, and aren't the Sith supposed to have been gone for thousands of years prior to Phantom Menace?

Why are we now getting them a 100 years prior to it?

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
You called it right...

Yeah, we could probably have a drinking game for The Acolyte where you can choose A. to take a sip of beer whenever a same sex pair gives each other a long, lingering look or touches fingertips with each other or B. down a BOTTLE of whiskey if there is a hetero kiss.

I can tell yah who is gonna be absolutely shitfaced by the end :p

As if Star Wars in general needs ANY romance, and the Jedi in particular with their weird celibate monastic ways. But I suspect she is gonna stuff it full of LGBT subtext* and wouldn't surprise me if any cishet relationships are based on (male initiated) violence.

*this would actually be ok if it was done in a fun way, like Top Gun. Sweaty shirtless men in direct competition with each other as men who also have to rely on each other for their very lives has a very homoerotic context even when it is 100% platonic. Not really sure what the lesbian version of this is, other than wearing plaid whilst driving a space subaru, but I'm sure you could make it fun if you wanted.

Top Bottom