• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Acolyte premieres June 4th on Disney+

giphy.gif

nkarafo

It's the Netflix people.

And I don't mean the show is on Netflix, I mean people that are so ingrained in the Netflix style of viewing where basically if it exists I must watch it because it's content and I need more content.

Instead of watching something because it is quality or interesting or entertainment or just has good values for the family.
I never understood this mentality.

It's similar to "it's cheap so i don't mind if it's average" or the even better "looks like shit, i will pirate it".

Like, WHY? Why do you have to consume it either way? You do know you have the option not to, right?

Somehow people have forgot their time is also a limited currency they have to spend for this shit.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Diversity sure make me excited, can't wait to see more Jewish, Muslim, Indian and Mexican representation in my movies.. any day now.
The sad thing is that carefully pulling from those cultures DOES create very organic, coherent, authentic feeling, but also exotic and interesting alien societies. There is a reason why very little seems to resonate these days, it's because folks are ignorant of history and/or terrified of "cultural appropriation" so they are making stuff up wholesale and just aren't good at it and their personal biases shine through too strongly. Borrowing from other cultures is a far better base for innovation and imagination for most folks and it gives a feeling of age and off screen growth that is KEY for making a successful alien that can be pushed to the audience quickly.

Lucas did this with Phantom Menace and while you can yell at him for negative stereotypes, it certainly did frame the Trade Federation or that blue slave alien guy VERY quickly. Obviously it wasn't handled as well as it could have been but its a far cry better than the sloppy stuff we see today. Take Andor for example that weird mismash tribe on the Heist planet. Because they lacked any cohesive element or borrowed from too many nebulous sources, I never really connected with them or sympathized much with their plight. Had they been more alien looking or humans with a more unified appearance, I think they would have narratively worked far better. Same with the Harfoots in RoP. They never really gelled as a functioning society that had a worn, lived in vibe. They looked like a poorly costumed grab bag of actors compared to many of the other societies represented in the show and their "rituals" were ludicrous, they shoulda just lifted some stuff from real nomadic tribes.

near

Gold Member
I've watched the trailer half a dozen times now, it gets worse each time I see it. I already knew how I'd feel seeing this based on that leaked trailer, not sure why I'm putting myself through this agony of convincing myself it will be good. There is no saving Star Wars now, it's as bad as The Matrix franchise. It was a good run. :(

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I don’t ever have high expectations for Disney stuff, they make way too much content.

I still give stuff a shot, if it’s bad I won’t watch it. Don’t really give a shit about diversity either way.

StueyDuck

I never understood this mentality.

It's similar to "it's cheap so i don't mind if it's average" or the even better "looks like shit, i will pirate it".

Like, WHY? Why do you have to consume it either way? You do know you have the option not to, right?

Somehow people have forgot their time is also a limited currency they have to spend for this shit.
people always use to laugh at me in uni, lets be honest, there's alot of piracy going on at all campus' . Whenever i'd get invited somewhere to watch a movie at a girls dorm or a mates digs the second i saw it was a cam copy i'd just nope right out, like why the hell would i want to watch this new cool movie in the worst way possible, so i was the idiot on campus who'd rather go to the cinema then just download some shakey cam copy

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Jesus only just finding out about this show, saw the trailer... Went meh looks a bit shit, then started to read into it... Fucking hell, what is going on over at Disney, how in the holiest of fucks did they hand a Star wars show to Harvey Fucking Weinstein's personal "I had to have seen everything" assistant!?! Mindblown! WTF, cause she's lesbian she gets a fucking pass?? Why isn't every press rag/journo asking her about her role in letting that cunt rape and molest countless women and why in the fuck is she filling Star wars with LGTBBQ message shite, it's fucking star wars and where's the white dudes at lol... South Park so hit Kathleen Kennedy on the nail... Put a fucking chick in it and make her a lesbian... Goddamnit Disney

jason10mm

Gold Member
I guess at this point we're just waiting for Star Wars to get an Orville-like clone show that actually gets what fans liked.
That's.....Rebel Moon, innit?

Maybe the R cut will have the intensity, violence, and titillation the fans crave.

I suspect we will see a more.....traditional Star Wars show in a year or so, they just gotta clear the pipeline of this other stuff first. I don't think Kennedy will continue to drive this "force is female" stuff much longer if it keeps failing (though by what metric is nebulous). Still, as a mech machine I think almost all of the new star wars stuff has been a TOTAL failure, just D+ viewership ain't enough. Baby Yoda was probably the last mech success they had and that was 2019!!!

So they are gonna have to start looking towards revenue generation soon, big Disney can't keep floating them as a D+ content producer alone.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I suspect we will see a more.....traditional Star Wars show in a year or so

Skeleton Crew is later this year (Goonies Star Wars). Andor S2 is next year. Ahsoka S2 is after that. After that it's just movies since Rangers of the New Republic was cancelled.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Skeleton Crew is later this year (Goonies Star Wars). Andor S2 is next year. Ahsoka S2 is after that. After that it's just movies since Rangers of the New Republic was cancelled.
What's the theme and tone of Skeleton Crew? We getting any more Bad Batch (I would classify that as a straight boys show)? Andor is fire and above critique so far. Ahsoka.....well, let's hope they can clean up the dialogue, improve the action, and get some GODDAMNED ENERGY in the show! Maybe Ezra will balance out the ladies, though he was pretty beta in S1.

Hopefully Obi-wan is dead, Fett is dead, Mando s4....eh, it's just a movie wrap-up? No Bo-katan, or will that get rolled into Ahsoka s2?

Seems ridiculous to me that the Rogue Squadron stuff is dead. That feels like as slam dunk a concept as possible. Whatever Jenkins pitched must have been just dog shit, or possibly she stood her ground and refused to warp it? Either way, it seemed like a fool proof project.

ManaByte

Gold Member
What's the theme and tone of Skeleton Crew? We getting any more Bad Batch (I would classify that as a straight boys show)? Andor is fire and above critique so far. Ahsoka.....well, let's hope they can clean up the dialogue, improve the action, and get some GODDAMNED ENERGY in the show! Maybe Ezra will balance out the ladies, though he was pretty beta in S1.

Hopefully Obi-wan is dead, Fett is dead, Mando s4....eh, it's just a movie wrap-up? No Bo-katan, or will that get rolled into Ahsoka s2?

Seems ridiculous to me that the Rogue Squadron stuff is dead. That feels like as slam dunk a concept as possible. Whatever Jenkins pitched must have been just dog shit, or possibly she stood her ground and refused to warp it? Either way, it seemed like a fool proof project.

Skeleton Crew is basically the Goonies with Jude Law on a ship set in the Mando time period.

The current season of Bad Batch is the final season.

Filoni said the only purpose of Ahsoka S1 was to get Ezra back to the main galaxy as he's needed for stuff coming (the Heir to the Empire movie).

Apparently there's no Mando S4 right now, it's just the movie, Ahsoka S2, and then the Heir to the Empire movie.

Rogue Squadron isn't dead. Jenkins just said she's been told to deliver another draft of the script.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Thats a pretty loaded analogy. I'm not sure anyone could even get REMOTELY close to the quality of that film now or have kids interact in such a fashion. We'll see.

It's not hard to do. JJ Abrams did it with Super 8 and even the last TMNT movie did it right. They key is that kids would talk over each other. Most movies with kids don't get that.

Eiknarf

Banned
165,000 likes for the trailer
355,000 dislikes

Disney BUSTED using bots to boost The Acolyte! Tons of fake users praising Star Wars EXPOSED​

Billbofet

165,000 likes for the trailer
355,000 dislikes

Disney BUSTED using bots to boost The Acolyte! Tons of fake users praising Star Wars EXPOSED​

These bot tweets are hilarious. What fucking person would ever talk like that, "Prepare for excitement!", "Get ready for adventure", "Join the frenzy" WTF?!?!?!
Like, I have been pumped on certain things for sure, but if I ever talked to someone like that, I would hope they would kick my ass.

Example: I am excited to watch the Roadhouse remake and will be getting together with friends this weekend to watch it as they are excited as well. If I texted them "Prepare for excitement" or "Get ready for adventure" I would be uninvited, and rightfully so.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
It's not hard to do. JJ Abrams did it with Super 8 and even the last TMNT movie did it right. They key is that kids would talk over each other. Most movies with kids don't get that.
Damn, that's a keen insight. Now I gotta watch a bunch of kid films to see how true it is.

jason10mm

Gold Member
And no one has even seen it yet.
Some of this is that we have gotten SO MUCH Star Wars that just scenes of younglings, lightsabers turning on, and some force pushes is old hat now. So while this trailer would have broken the internet in like 2015 or something, at this point that stuff alone isn't gonna make a splash. Not to mention the (for me) VERY mixed results in Ahsoka, Fett, Mando S3, and especially Obi Wan give me pause. About the only Star Wars thing I'm 1000% behind at this point is Bad Batch, just give that team more resources and have them go off and do more stuff.

Lucasarts should be VERY worried about this. If the core audience reacts with this much cynicism it shows that they are in grave risk of losing the entire thing because I don't think this new stuff is hitting hard with them either. Not sure why LucasArts and Marvel, properties Disney bought SPECIFICALLY to broaden the Disney brand towards boys, have both made such heel turns to go after girls when there are so many other Disney properties to serve that market (and as far as I can tell they have done NOTHING to create a 'Princes' line or something like that to appeal to boys) but here we are. They have dug this grave for themselves and now have to lie in it. It's gonna be years and require an entire exec flush to right the ship for me. Put Faverau, a guy that knows how to craft a story, has a bit of a naughty frat side, but also knows balance and subtlety, in charge of Lucasarts.

To be fair, a lot of people thought Andor would suck just by looking at it. It was one of the best audience reviewed shows from Lucasarts.

Yet that's one of the few Disney Star Wars shows/movies that hasn't sucked

I did say in my previous post that most of Disney Star Wars has sucked. I didn't say it's all terrible. And this seems like more of the same..

Last edited:
Some of this is that we have gotten SO MUCH Star Wars that just scenes of younglings, lightsabers turning on, and some force pushes is old hat now. So while this trailer would have broken the internet in like 2015 or something, at this point that stuff alone isn't gonna make a splash. Not to mention the (for me) VERY mixed results in Ahsoka, Fett, Mando S3, and especially Obi Wan give me pause. About the only Star Wars thing I'm 1000% behind at this point is Bad Batch, just give that team more resources and have them go off and do more stuff.

Lucasarts should be VERY worried about this. If the core audience reacts with this much cynicism it shows that they are in grave risk of losing the entire thing because I don't think this new stuff is hitting hard with them either. Not sure why LucasArts and Marvel, properties Disney bought SPECIFICALLY to broaden the Disney brand towards boys, have both made such heel turns to go after girls when there are so many other Disney properties to serve that market (and as far as I can tell they have done NOTHING to create a 'Princes' line or something like that to appeal to boys) but here we are. They have dug this grave for themselves and now have to lie in it. It's gonna be years and require an entire exec flush to right the ship for me. Put Faverau, a guy that knows how to craft a story, has a bit of a naughty frat side, but also knows balance and subtlety, in charge of Lucasarts.

Not only that I don't think Star Wars and MCU is as popular at schools anymore either. I remember Star Wars especially before Disney bought them being extremely popular with boys. Same with MCU, but that was Phase 1 - 3. From what I've been seeing it's not as much anymore

Anime and Manga has overtaken western entertainment in popularity in general when it comes to the young crowd

nush

Not only that I don't think Star Wars and MCU is as popular at schools anymore either. I remember Star Wars especially before Disney bought them being extremely popular with boys. Same with MCU, but that was Phase 1 - 3. From what I've been seeing it's not as much anymore

Just look at what brands kids have on their school backpacks. Paw patrol, Spiderman and Frozen maybe?

Billbofet

Anime and Manga has overtaken western entertainment in popularity in general when it comes to the young crowd
Agree with this. My daughter is 16 and grew up on the MCU. She has lost any and all interest in it.
My son is 9, and he and all his friends have no interest in MCU and beyond zero interest in Star Wars. They will still see a Spiderman movie, but nothing SW - tv or movies.
I see a lot of interest in sports with younger kids, so maybe this tripe has moved them over to this. Who knows?

Kacho

Just look at what brands kids have on their school backpacks. Paw patrol, Spiderman and Frozen maybe?
My kids had one friend who was really into Star Wars a few years ago but he lost interest. Not sure why exactly but I thought it was interesting. Star Wars is definitely not popular with most kids.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I think Mando s1 was the last time we got a real injection of star wars fans. My kid and all his friends lived and breathed Mando. But as they went farther and farther away from him and baby Yoda and twisted the show into more girl centered stuff he lost interest. Boys just don't care about bo-katan or ahsoka and very few girls care about star wars AT ALL

Top Bottom