• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Sails S4 |OT| The End Is About To Begin - Sundays 9/8c on Starz

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
EPISODE 6 SPOILERS

This episode was absolutely brutal to watch. The scene in the cabin with Madi and Eleanor was hard to watch.

I liked that last scene between Max and Rackham. I wonder what her plan is?

It almost feels like they're all being pushed off a cliff. Even when they feel like throwing in the towel, they're just not able to.

B3N1

I'm just amazed by the production value in the show. Even GoT slows down sometimes, and here we've been getting tons of fights and ship-CGI this season.

And the payoffs are amazing, I'm glad to have been watching this for 3 years now, it's been worth it for the character interactions only.

~ SPOILERS FOR THE NEW EPISODE ~

THIS FUCKING SHOW

~ SPOILERS FOR THE NEW EPISODE ~

response to spoiler reaction:

The fight in the cottage, oh man. Making a fire in a place where you're supposed to hide seemed like the worst idea ever. I saw the guy behind Eleanor when se went to the window, and was thinking about whether he should've been there, well, nope. After the cut and her crawling, I already expected how it ends, which made it all the more depressing.

I'm a sucker for these kind of fights, too bad Banshee dropped them in the last season.

Rymuth

Newest Episode
- Eleanor dies! Yay!

- Madi dies! Boo!!

- When Jack brought Max to Anne, I figured he was leading her to die by giving Anne the closure she wanted. Shame.

- Next episode: The revolution begins. Flint has his army but the look he gave Silver at the end was truly chilling. This. This is the moment when that line from Treasure Island, 'the only man Captain Flint ever feared', truly materialized. Silver's name had become legendary.

jett

D-Member
That's some shit.

Eleanor absolutely deserved death. Then again, so did Max, and she's still kicking. Seems reading about history isn't gonna help us at all, we're in 100% fiction territory here, although now it seems highly probable that Max will become Mary Read. Except for the Treasure Island people escaping, I'm not sure how this is going to end. Guess everyone else will die.

sangreal

That's some shit.

Eleanor absolutely deserved death. Then again, so did Max, and she's still kicking. Seems reading about history isn't gonna help us at all, we're in 100% fiction territory here, although now it seems highly probable that Max will become Mary Read. Except for the Treasure Island people escaping, I'm not sure how this is going to end. Guess everyone else will die.

came to say the same thing -- max must be mary read

(treasure island)
I think this series is set way before treasure island so it doesn't tell us who will die -- it only tells us the handful (3?) people who have to live

sangreal

I'm just amazed by the production value in the show. Even GoT slows down sometimes, and here we've been getting tons of fights and ship-CGI this season.

And the payoffs are amazing, I'm glad to have been watching this for 3 years now, it's been worth it for the character interactions only.

response to spoiler reaction:

The fight in the cottage, oh man. Making a fire in a place where you're supposed to hide seemed like the worst idea ever. I saw the guy behind Eleanor when se went to the window, and was thinking about whether he should've been there, well, nope. After the cut and her crawling, I already expected how it ends, which made it all the more depressing.

I'm a sucker for these kind of fights, too bad Banshee dropped them in the last season.

I didn't even notice that until the second time through

creeper.png

This episode was lit
no pun intended

I swear if max lives through his whole series I'll be pissed

As for rodgers...you just played yourself and got your woman got

I'm going to miss this show so much when it's over. There's never been anything like it before, but maybe we can hope for Treasure Island down the road?

Pkaz01

Really don't think Madi is dead, Billy will prolly find her alive and create some drama subplot to make Silver think Flint left her to die or some stupid shit

sangreal

Really don't think Madi is dead, Billy will prolly find her alive and create some drama subplot to make Silver think Flint left her to die or some stupid shit

she's dead, man. it's the final season

(treasure island)
billy's departure is almost certainly final too since it makes a clean transition into that story

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Part of me is skeptical about Madi's fate but there are only a few episodes left. She had a major head injury and was in burning house, I gotta imagine she's gone. And even if she was alive, how would she get off the island?

This episode covered a lot of ground. I was surprised by how much it kept going on for. So many scenes felt like ones they'd typically end the episode on.

Pkaz01

(treasure island)
billy's departure is almost certainly final too since it makes a clean transition into that story

I can't see it, no heartfelt goodbye, no impact on the overall story? Theres got to be a reason for it

sangreal

I can't see it, no heartfelt goodbye, no impact on the overall story? Theres got to be a reason for it

(again treasure island)
actually you may have a point since somehow billy needs to find out where the treasure is, and the only people that know are flint, calico jack, silver and madi

Yeah it felt like a weird way for Madi to die, since the spaniard only clubs her on the head and then we just see eleanor outside the house, passed out saying she couldn't save Madi. I don't think we can count her out yet. Max could also end up being the woman that Silver is married to in TI.

Brutal way for Eleanor to go, I've always enjoyed the character so it was a bit sad. When you consider where these characters were in episode 1 and where they end up now, its crazy. I really enjoyed all the scenes between Madi and Eleanor, they sort of had a sisterly relationship but there was that unwritten line that Eleanor never told Madi - your dad didn't tell me you were alive because he knew I would have found a way to use you to further my desires.

In many ways I find Eleanor and Max to be so tragic, they both could have simply done what most of the women of the day did and just married a rich guy and had a pleasant life. They fought hard though and built something from scratch and multiple times now all their hard work has been completely erased by a few men. Eleanor always thought she was smarter than she actually was and schemed too much for her own good, Max was always smarter than everyone thought she was and her desire to simply pick the simpler choice has constantly bit her in the ass. Eleanor was always fighting against someone to prove herself, whether its her father, Vane, Flint, or the pirates. Its ironic and sad that she ultimately dies because she was outside the fort trying to save her husband, brokering the deal for the Urca cache.

I did like the little speech Max gave Jack at the end - civilization always wins, the only way to beat civilization is to work against your enemy inside civilization. It'll be interesting to see how the Maroon army with Flint and Silver leading it fare against the Spanish Empire, and how Max and Jack fare in trying to use society to bring down Woods Rogers.

Avinexus

Okay, what am I missing near the end with Silver and Flint in which Silver asks "still no sign of Rackham?" and them saying Rackham abandoned them? He just picked them up off the island. It was literally right after Max and Rackham said they were going to go north instead of south, but I didn't think it would be instantaneous. Or was it just that, "Follow me north rackham" end scene, start new scene "Oh no Rackham abandoned us!"?

Rymuth

I'm going to miss this show so much when it's over. There's never been anything like it before, but maybe we can hope for Treasure Island down the road?
Spartacus was pretty close (also by Starz) - both shows build up on previous seasons as you get the sensation that the characters are like a train headed off a cliff.

sangreal

Okay, what am I missing near the end with Silver and Flint in which Silver asks "still no sign of Rackham?" and them saying Rackham abandoned them? He just picked them up off the island. It was literally right after Max and Rackham said they were going to go north instead of south, but I didn't think it would be instantaneous. Or was it just that, "Follow me north rackham" end scene, start new scene "Oh no Rackham abandoned us!"?

it's a time skip

Coxy100

Banned
Even though I hated her I was sad to see Eleanor go. Great episode!

Also not convinced that Madi is gone either...

Ruruja

I'm in the Madi survived camp.

That was another superb episode. I had a moment when Rackham was just talking to Max on the beach that this show is so perfectly piratey and I'm going to miss it so much.

B3N1

That was another superb episode. I had a moment when Rackham was just talking to Max on the beach that this show is so perfectly piratey and I'm going to miss it so much.

Beach scenes are great. Both the visuals and sounds create such an atmosphere. Another one I can think of was the meeting between Rogers and Flint last season.

Hex

Banned

But when Rackham went off on Max in the hold of the ship he got amazing

Hex

Banned

(treasure island)

Actually
Silver is married to a woman of African descent, whom he trusts to manage his business affairs in his absence
it fits

Dysun

Eleanor always tried to outsmart everyone and finally played her hand one too many times. Not sad to see her go for what she did to Vane

It does seem likely that Madi survived somehow since they didn't make her death clear

Rackham's departure was a bit jarring from one cut to another

TripOpt55

Another strong episode. I continue to be blown away by how consistently great this show is. Never lets me down and never seems to let up either. Every episode feels big and important.

Sir Doom

man, I really thought the episode will end in downer, but the cliffhanger gave me hope.

great episode.

so we're going to have 2 pirate forces attacking Nassau

Love the show and this season but every episode lately seems to end with: "but wait a minute, I have a new secret army ready to wreak shit on everyone"

Finally the women are dead!

I have wanted them out of this show for like 3 seasons now. Too bad that dark haired woman is still alive, I just cant stand her know it all, Rackham was giving here shit then she turns it around again and makes him look like a fool. God this show man.

Amazing episode

Jesús Christ, somebody kill Max please
She is a fucking parasite

I don't hate Max like a lot of people seem to. Yeah she's conniving and self-serving, but outside of a few characters like Jack/Anne and occasionally Flint/Silver who isn't?

And the actress who plays Max - Jessica Parker Kennedy might honestly be the most beautiful woman I have ever seen. I will be shocked if she doesn't have mainstream success once this show is over, she's too damn beautiful to not be in movies/television.

8baea978b69c0e67a8c4326557d891e989c261b863856e5d69667580d5c1d2ee.jpg

aqDwC.png
aqDwC.png
aqDwC.png

what an exit for the character, such a gut-punch but at least the latter half of the episode was more satisfying for the team. Damn shame how they are going to all inevitably lose in the end. Finale is gonna kill me. It's interesting though, watching a tv series in the perspective of the losers.
Catching up, this shit almost ruined the series for me.
Set up was so stupid.

danthefan

I'm a few episodes behind, but holy shit the
violence
is seriously ramped up this season. Some of it is pretty awful imo.

Holy fuck what an episode.

*SPOILERS*

The swell of music in the scene where Flint
has Eleanor in his arms as she's dying, and he stands up in a look of despair at the burning house was some next level shit. Reminded me so much of Interstellar!

Pkaz01

Holy fuck what an episode.

*SPOILERS*

The swell of music in the scene where Flint
has Eleanor in his arms as she's dying, and he stands up in a look of despair at the burning house was some next level shit. Reminded me so much of Interstellar!

I don't think we need spoiler tags anymore. That was also Miranda Barlow's house which probably made it 10x worse in addition to thinking Maddie is in there still. Flint is such a good character

God damn this show is so fucking awesome. Best show on TV. By a landslide.

I'm so hyped to see these last few episodes and also so bummed this is it.

sangreal

I don't hate Max like a lot of people seem to. Yeah she's conniving and self-serving, but outside of a few characters like Jack/Anne and occasionally Flint/Silver who isn't?

And the actress who plays Max - Jessica Parker Kennedy might honestly be the most beautiful woman I have ever seen. I will be shocked if she doesn't have mainstream success once this show is over, she's too damn beautiful to not be in movies/television.

She is an absolutely awful actress though. I can't wait for every scene she is in to end so I can stop hearing that terrible fake accent

Since last season I've been rooting for Eleanor to die but that was actually pretty sad tbh. And I didn't expect it to be so impersonal with a Spanish soldier attacking her

I also got an interstellar vibe from that music swell during the scene when flint was looking at the burning shack

Fantastic episode.

edit: aww shit I forgot that was Miranda's house. that scene means even more now.

I don't think we need spoiler tags anymore. That was also Miranda Barlow's house which probably made it 10x worse in addition to thinking Maddie is in there still. Flint is such a good character

Shitttttt! Did not realise it was Mirandas house! Holy fuck!

And you're absolutely right, Flint is a superb character. Still my favourite of the show and always has been.

I also got an interstellar vibe from that music swell during the scene when flint was looking at the burning shack

The swell of music in the scene where Flint has Eleanor in his arms as she's dying, and he stands up in a look of despair at the burning house was some next level shit. Reminded me so much of Interstellar

Brother?

cripterion

Just came to say this show is brilliant, casting is amazing, everyone is on their top game, the locations and costumes are well done too. It's one of the rare shows with Deadwood and Rome where I can say I haven't had to go through a bad episode, every single damn episode made me interested in the story and its cast and now that we're reaching towards the end, it is kinda bittersweet to let this show go but at the same time they don't want to overstay its welcome.

Once it is all said and done though, the show will be missed and I'll be looking forward to what the people being the show or the actors move unto in the future.

sangreal

another strong episode, even without action

y'all were mostly right about billy and maddie. fuck billy

everyone gunning for Flint now

Top Bottom