• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black vet's food taken at behest of Trump supporter at Chili's; Chili's apologizes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eating while black.

Huffington Post said:
U.S. Army veteran Ernest Walker started recording video when a manager at a Chili’s restaurant in Cedar Hill, Texas, questioned his military service and took away his food.

Like some other establishments around the country, Chili’s offered free meals to veterans and active military service members on Veterans Day. Walker wrote on his Facebook page that he was eating at Chili’s with his service dog, Barack, when an elderly customer wearing a Trump shirt came up to him. “He said he was in Germany, and that they did not let Blacks serve over there,” Walker wrote.

Soon after, Walker said the restaurant’s manager approached him and said that a fellow customer said Walker was “not a real soldier because [he] had [his] hat on indoors.” He asked to see identification, and continued to question Walker. Eventually, he took his food away, even though Walker showed him his military ID and discharge paperwork.

The only thing I can do is keep sending these kind of things to Trump supporters who believe all the racist incidents are fabrications.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Well that guy is getting fired. Just a shame the customer won't see any repercussions for his racist ass actions.

I expect stories like this to increase. The majority see this as their chance to bring the country back to the 50-60s again.

Fox Mulder

Fuck chili's anyways.

And did you see 60 minutes? trump's totally cool guys, he won't do anything bad like emboldening racists and bigots or anything.

JCX

The guy should have known better than trying to eat in a restaurant filled with economically anxious Americans.

Took away his food even as he showed his military ID anyway? I hope that manager likes mopping floors for a living.

And fuck that old Trump bigot. He's a fucking disgrace to the country, and a liar. My uncle is black, was in the military, and has been stationed in Germany since the mid 70s serving over there until he retired.

kribz

Will probably get berated for this but....

Why is him being a Trump supporter relevant?

That being said the manager acted poorly in this situation and should be reprimanded for his actions!
The gentleman had enough documentation to prove that he was a veteran.

Smellycat

The dog's name is Barack?

Their reasoning for questioning his status was because he had his hat on indoors? WTF I expect that kind of logic in a videogame...

nullset2

My mama used to tell me "don't do a right when it looks like a huge wrong".

This is one of those cases, why shit the water? Guy already has his meal, don't fuck with people that way.

I'm curious as to what happened between the the guy showing his military ID and having his food taken away. Like... did the manager just decide the ID was fake?

The idea that the manager would, instead of sorting the situation and stopping customers from harassing other customers, join in on the racist parade, is beyond deplorable. Questioning someone else's service in that manner is despicable, and he deserves to be gone because he doesn't know how to do his job.

The guy has some sort of resolve. Im sorry but with level of disrepect shown to me I would have gone ape shit on that manager.

Dude Abides

Banned
I'm not sure if naming your dog Barack is a tribute or an insult.

Scumbag Trumpets gonna scumbag. Shoot these people to the moon.

Trump had a big part in this, but this is also the result of segregating the army and then white washing World War 2 for the next 7 decades. They just can't even imagine the idea that a black man could have served back then. Also see the backlash to Battlefield 1.

Will probably get berated for this but....

Why is him being a Trump supporter relevant?

That being said the manager acted poorly in this situation and should be reprimanded for his actions!
The gentleman had enough documentation to prove that he was a veteran.

Context.

There's been a wave of racist violence and hateful acts made this past week explicitly in Trump's name.

I saw the video of this last night and it's ridiculous. I can't imagine how embarrassing it was for that dude to just get his meal taken away like a kid who refused to eat his vegetables or some shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom