• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Widow |OT| Theaters Bounce Back From Vormir

I didnt mind it, most likely a 6/10
Last 15mins was woeful, it was like they ran out of budget

shes run into and out of the building as it explodes, can see plain white cooridors
ground under the plane crumbles away in cgi, then we see them inside for 10secs before the plane drops
helicopter explosion

Last edited:

sol_bad

It's been rectified now :lollipop_grinning:

The final act(when things start exploding in the air) alone requires so much suspension of disbelieve.

It's an MCU movie.

Robot suits.
Super power sources.
Monsters.
Advanced AI
Super soldiers.
Laser guns.
Asgardian Gods.
Flying people.
Giant hovering ships.
Aliens.
Teleporting cubes.
Elves.
Reality ether.
Cryogenic sleep.
Robot limbs.
Talking raccoons and trees.
Spaceships.
Power stones.
Shrinking people.
Growing people.
Vibranium.
Wizards.
Teleporting.
Alternate realities.
Time controlling amulets.
Light speed travel.
Giant fire demons.
Hell spawn lizard creatures.
Time travel.
Witches.
Magic.

It's an MCU movie.

Robot suits.
Super power sources.
Monsters.
Advanced AI
Super soldiers.
Laser guns.
Asgardian Gods.
Flying people.
Giant hovering ships.
Aliens.
Teleporting cubes.
Elves.
Reality ether.
Cryogenic sleep.
Robot limbs.
Spaceships.
Power stones.
Shrinking people.
Growing people.
Vibranium.
Wizards.
Teleporting.
Alternate realities.
Light speed travel.
Giant fire demons.
Time travel.
Witches.
Magic.
When will people stop making this weak argument?

Ulysses 31

It's an MCU movie.

Robot suits.
Super power sources.
Monsters.
Advanced AI
Super soldiers.
Laser guns.
Asgardian Gods.
Flying people.
Giant hovering ships.
Aliens.
Teleporting cubes.
Elves.
Reality ether.
Cryogenic sleep.
Robot limbs.
Spaceships.
Power stones.
Shrinking people.
Growing people.
Vibranium.
Wizards.
Teleporting.
Alternate realities.
Light speed travel.
Giant fire demons.
Time travel.
Witches.
Magic.
Is all that supposed to excuse bad decisions characters make in the movie?(Taskmaster just has to kill Natasha personally rather than let her fall to certain death). Most of those things aren't even relevant to this movie.

Or key items appearing out of nowhere?

Or establishs that the widows can withstand explosions from less than a meter away or survive debris pushing them through the floor? Is there really no point for you at which an MCU movie takes too many liberties with physics and how humans can survive disasters?

Last edited:

sol_bad

Is all that supposed to excuse bad decisions characters make in the movie?(Taskmaster just has to kill Natasha personally rather than let her fall to certain death). Most of those things aren't even relevant to this movie.

Or key items appearing out of nowhere?

Or establishs that the widows can withstand explosions from less than a meter away or survive debris pushing them through the floor? Is there really no point for you at which an MCU movie takes too many liberties with physics and how humans can survive disasters?

Natasha has been through worse in the comics. It's all good.

Ulysses 31

Natasha has been through worse in the comics. It's all good.
The MCU has contradicted/deviated from the comics several times. How serious can you still look at the comics for explanations? Also It is really good film making when you have to look at sources outside the MCU for answers?

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I did wonder why Scarjo's suit was so tight and the other girls was loose. I want everyone in tight suits.

Ulysses 31

This video is over 7 and a half hours long. Do people really listen to the whole thing?
I assume their fans do, usually they BS around a little before they start with the topic video for an hour or so which I usually skip.

It's not uncommon for EFAP sessions to last that long or even longer. They pause nearly every scene and comment on it, especially when there's a lot of nonsense going on.

I linked it form the final act of the movie.

The air drop is easily one of my favorite parts, I wish they didn't show any of it in the trailers.
IMO this film had one of the strongest endings of any standalone Marvel character films... maybe Thor Ragnarok tops it.

The MCU has contradicted/deviated from the comics several times. How serious can you still look at the comics for explanations? Also It is really good film making when you have to look at sources outside the MCU for answers?

It's a fucking superhero film... there's people in floating cities commanding mind controlled assassins... what realism are you seeking here?

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

It's a fucking superhero film... there's people in floating cities commanding mind controlled assassins... what realism are you seeking here?
Widow is no superhero so I don't expect her to defy the laws of physics as much as she does in the movie.

Is it too much to ask for new MCU movies not to have this amount of plot holes, plot armor, plot contrivances, character assassinations, damaging world building to other MCU movies?

DKehoe

I assume their fans do, usually they BS around a little before they start with the topic video for an hour or so which I usually skip.

It's not uncommon for EFAP sessions to last that long or even longer. They pause nearly every scene and comment on it, especially when there's a lot of nonsense going on.

I linked it form the final act of the movie.
I skipped around the video out of curiosity and it seems like it's hours of nitpicking. I didn't think the film was amazing or anything but this seems like such a soulless form of criticism.

Ulysses 31

I skipped around the video out of curiosity and it seems like it's hours of nitpicking. I didn't think the film was amazing or anything but this seems like such a soulless form of criticism.
What do you call nitpicking? Things that allow the plot advance I wouldn't call nitpicks and they usually are forthcoming if they're discussing petty things in a scene.

Granted I've only watched from where I linked and not this full EFAP yet.

DKehoe

What do you call nitpicking? Things that allow the plot advance I wouldn't call nitpicks and they usually are forthcoming if they're discussing petty things in a scene.

Granted I've only watched from where I linked and not this full EFAP yet.
The moment you had it queued up to start on for example. It's them saying the explosion she ran past should have killed her. But those kinds of things happen all the time in action films. People narrowly avoiding explosions that in reality might have killed them is exciting for the audience. "Death dyfing stunts" appeal to people for that reason. Also nothing I heard was discussing anything deeper like themes. It was all just surface level "why didn't they just..." It just feels like it's another example of modern film criticism just being people pointing out plot holes, which is pretty dull.

I'm maybe being unfair here since like I said I just skipped about. So maybe I'd have a better understanding of it if I watched the full thing. But it's 7 hours and 40 minutes so I'm not going to do that.

Ulysses 31

The moment you had it queued up to start on for example. It's them saying the explosion she ran past should have killed her. But those kinds of things happen all the time in action films. People narrowly avoiding explosions that in reality might have killed them is exciting for the audience. "Death dyfing stunts" appeal to people for that reason. Also nothing I heard was discussing anything deeper like themes. It was all just surface level "why didn't they just..." It just feels like it's another example of modern film criticism just being people pointing out plot holes, which is pretty dull.
They usually are consistent and wouldn't give such a scene a pass in other movies either. I think they bring up a theme near the end about family which they felt falls flat.
I'm maybe being unfair here since like I said I just skipped about. So maybe I'd have a better understanding of it if I watched the full thing. But it's 7 hours and 40 minutes so I'm not going to do that.
Fair enough, I usually just skip to a scene I'd like to hear their take on like the prison break out scene(4:48:00), how much plot armor it involves and how it destroys Natasha's core values that come with her heroism.

Also has one of the worst editing with Alexei thrashing into riot guards and in the next scene he's past them. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Last edited:

sol_bad

That was exactly my point in my last comment when I pointed out Natasha has been through worse in the comics. It's a comic book movie, shit be crazy.

sol_bad

IMO Black Widow isn't doing too bad considering it is missing out on the Chinese ticket receipts.

314 million at the box office plus 60 million or more from Disney+, total of 374 million or more.

F9 is sitting at 600 million but 200 million is coming from Chinaaaa.

Does anyone know if this will get a release in China?

Ulysses 31

Long Man Bad's breakdown on all the character assassinations

That were all preordained by Khan :p

Last edited:
The first half I thought was pretty damn good with awesome fight sequences. The second half all went to the drain, what a bore fest.

Konnor

Long Man Bad's breakdown on all the character assassinations

That were all preordained by Khan :p

I've watched half an hour and most of his criticism applies to most other Marvel crap. The characters are wildly inconsistent because writers have to follow the Disney recipe and force them to make shitty jokes every couple minutes so that things don't get too serious and the audience starts to think or something, action interrupts everything because it HAS to be there and was probably shot beforehand, the plot is also wildly inconsistent and the emotional/character development stuff gets ridiculed or brushed off to make space for shitty corporate humor and explosions etc. Once you've seen one mediocre Marvel movie you've seen them all. Ironically Iron Man 3 that was hated by many Marvel fans is one of the few decent Marvel movies exactly because it doesn't follow that cynical recipe that closely.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Just saw this last night. It was a quality movie....good actors, good acting....but it seemed a bit boring. Not a ton of cool Black Widow scenes. Florence Pugh was great but overall it was Meh!

Top Bottom