• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blazblue Continuum Shift EXTEND |OT| - Now with New Hat

dwix

Totally forgot about this game until I saw the OT, so thanks for the reminder :)

I haven't played an Arc System Works fighter since Guilty Gear XX, looking forward to jumping back in (and getting my ass handed to me)!

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Why do they keep shitting on the previous versions top tier characters?
I don't know. My guess is that they try to balance them but then go way too far. What should have been a nerf stick turns into a nerf truck.

I don't know. My guess is that they try to balance them but then go way too far. What should have been a nerf stick turns into a nerf truck.

Well, you guys are only quoting the two characters who got nerfed hard.

Remember that Arakune from CT to CS was VERY viable (and still is). Ragna remained in high tier from CS to EX. Nu went from S tier to B tier. Valkenhayn has remained high tier too.

Rachel and Mak were pretty much the only ones who got screwed.

cj_iwakura

The Blazen comic series is no longer on the internet.

:(

tumblr_leqo4iQpdD1qf2hnlo1_500.png

It spiraled down into mediocrity, but the good comics were amazing.

Cristina V even dubbed one of them!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epn-fg48i9M

He took Blazen offline completely?! Damn it...

At least I grabbed the Rachel/Cow Jester comic. It still makes me laugh out loud every time I read it.
Boundary Bros. and Ragna/Tao; you will be missed.

cj_iwakura

He took Blazen offline completely?! Damn it...

At least I grabbed the Rachel/Cow Jester comic. It still makes me laugh out loud every time I read it.
Boundary Bros. and Ragna/Tao; you will be missed.

We ride!

:(

Someone had to have archived them, right?

Hazama's Troll Booth was the stuff of legends.

TrollingBooth1.png

Dreavus

Might be a good time to get back into the game. I kinda fell out of playing sometime after CSII came out. I couldn't relearn all of that stuff when the patch came out for CSII.

Might take the opportunity of a new game to try and learn Arakune again... I remember I was just getting those big curse combos down when I kind of stopped playing. I'll pick it up in a month or so when I actually have some time to sink into it. ^^

Might be a good time to get back into the game. I kinda fell out of playing sometime after CSII came out. I couldn't relearn all of that stuff when the patch came out for CSII.

Might take the opportunity of a new game to try and learn Arakune again... I remember I was just getting those big curse combos down when I kind of stopped playing. I'll pick it up in a month or so when I actually have some time to sink into it. ^^

So no more Jin?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Worth it at least on the Vita because they finally got it right by adding in online mode. IMO that's probably the launch game I'd want to get with a Vita since Gravity is launch "windows".

I wish we were getting a new 3ds version with online though. :(

TGMIII

So how are rachel and arakune looking in EX so far. Last time I put any effort into this they were both godlike but I know they pretty much put rachel in a wheelchair for a bit.

Fugu

So how are rachel and arakune looking in EX so far. Last time I put any effort into this they were both godlike but I know they pretty much put rachel in a wheelchair for a bit.
Rachel is good. She has a very good set of tools and handles most characters well. Arakune is very polarizing; he takes a lot of patience to play but he gets rewarded immensely for landing curse.

Really, the only character whose tier placement should be a factor in your choice is Makoto.

The one thing I hate about BB's balancing is how they seem to go overboard when a character is too good. I remember looking at the matchup charts/tier lists for CT and seeing positions literally flip in later releases. Looking at them and how balancing goes I feel really lucky about Bang. He was lowish in the first game, mid in CSII after being top in CS and high tier for Extend so far.

I know the overall matchups are a lot closer than ever before, but they should easy up a bit on the top/high tiers when they make BB3.

The one thing I hate about BB's balancing is how they seem to go overboard when a character is too good. I remember looking at the matchup charts/tier lists for CT and seeing positions literally flip in later releases. Looking at them and how balancing goes I feel really lucky about Bang. He was lowish in the first game, mid in CSII after being top in CS and high tier for Extend so far.

I know the overall matchups are a lot closer than ever before, but they should easy up a bit on the top/high tiers when they make BB3.

But if that trend continues, even if Bang ends up being low tier in the next one, that would likely only mean B tier.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
There is sprite downscaling. Blazblue arcade runs natively at 1280 x 768 so the sprites are downscaled for the 544p qHD display on PSVita.
As you can see from the OS-level screenshots though, it scales quite nicely, unlike the old PSP and 3DS ports of CT and CSII.

In short, Blaz is both slower paced and easier than Guilty. Lots of GG diehards hold that against BB, but I don't care.
There are lots of parallels in game systems. Dead Angle Attack, Burst, Barrier Block, Instant Block, Roman Cancels, Negative Penalty, etc. are all there in some repsect or another.
Thanks! :D

But if that trend continues, even if Bang ends up being low tier in the next one, that would likely only mean B tier.
I already said the matchups are close. It just seems a bit reactionary is all.

Edit: Damn, I want this game bad. It feels like I'm finally coming back home where I belong with this game...

cj_iwakura

Why do they rebalance high tier characters by knocking them straight to the bottom?

I never even fought that many Makotos in CSII when she was considered god tier. I mostly run into Ragnas and Tagers.

And Noels. I hate Noels.

Why do they rebalance high tier characters by knocking them straight to the bottom?

I never even fought that many Makotos in CSII when she was considered god tier. I mostly run into Ragnas and Tagers.

And Noels. I hate Noels.

I can't imagine they mean to make the top tier the worst in the new version, but like Solar said, they manage to take things too far. It's not like they can really be sure of how tiers will play out until people get their hands on the game and play it. We can at least be sure it's not intentional unbalancing like with a Capcom game because the games get more balanced with every new edition.

And of course, they probably only look at Japanese arcades when considering balance.

And Noel is worthy of being hated.

cj_iwakura

I can't imagine they mean to make the top tier the worst in the new version, but like Solar said, they manage to take things too far. It's not like they can really be sure of how tiers will play out until people get their hands on the game and play it. We can at least be sure it's not intentional unbalancing like with a Capcom game because the games get more balanced with every new edition.

And of course, they probably only look at Japanese arcades when considering balance.

And Noel is worthy of being hated.

I like the character, but a pro Noel is Tsubaki's worst nightmare.

Siliconera's been doing a feature "The Art of BlazBlue" with some nice info on the processes.
Concept Phase
Animation Phase
Background Phase
I was thinking about making a thread out of it, but this works too.
I don't know, but this method of balancing does have a plus side. You can have an idea of what to expect unlike Capcom's balancing. They should ease up on the nerfs a bit though.

raven777

I am thinking of getting this for my vita launch title.

I never played any blazblue series so this will be my first entry to the series.
From what I read the graphics are great and everything seems almost identical to the console version, so my only questions would be how are the controls? Is it easy to pull off commands and combos with vita d-pad or analog(if u can use)?

cj_iwakura

I am thinking of getting this for my vita launch title.

I never played any blazblue series so this will be my first entry to the series.
From what I read the graphics are great and everything seems almost identical to the console version, so my only questions would be how are the controls? Is it easy to pull off commands and combos with vita d-pad or analog(if u can use)?

I use d-pad. Both work fine.

Esura

Banned
Why doesn't Amazon have release day shipping for this? ._.

I preordered from my local Gamestop.

Then again...they charged my credit card twice for this game. Be funny they canceled my preorder and still didn't give me my money back from the mischarge and the preorder money. At this point, I think I need to stop preording from Gamestop...or at least the one I live by.

How is Noel in EXTEND?

matmanx1

Those LE versions are sooo nice I almost wish I was getting a console version instead of the Vita version. I own BlaBlu portable on the psp and it was and is a great portable fighting game so I really want to keep this one as an "on the go" experience for my Vita.

I wonder if that calendar or art book will ever be available to purchase separately?

Top Bottom