• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blazblue Continuum Shift EXTEND |OT| - Now with New Hat

Esura

Banned
I wanted to learn Rachel before Noel actually in CT because of her cuteness but goddamn she is really difficult to use.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Her playstyle is fine but man, is she annoying. It's like "cute cute cute, look at me beat you with cutesy stuff" AUGGHHHHHHHHH

charlie_brown_augh.jpg
I've learned to ignore the cutesy fighting style. If you let it get to you, her entire moveset starts to look like taunts that do damage, and that just ruins your game.

Her pony victory pose still bothers me, though.

Rachel does look pretty complicated. Long combos and lots of setup stuff, but she's a pretty good character imo. Very scary when she manages to get you in the corner because she can keep resetting you with George.

Hey 360GAF, I'm gonna have a lobby up for a bit. Drop me a line if you want in--GT is dkblade77.

Edit: Hm... I dunno if the issue is my connection or something else, but sorry about that, Luminaton.

Fugu

I wanted to learn Rachel before Noel actually in CT because of her cuteness but goddamn she is really difficult to use.
Rachel isn't that hard, Noel is just that autopilot.

Rachel does look pretty complicated. Long combos and lots of setup stuff, but she's a pretty good character imo. Very scary when she manages to get you in the corner because she can keep resetting you with George.
Use neutral tech.

Akuun

Use neutral tech.
I know. Rachel is probably one of the matchups I know best because I seem to fight her all the time.

What I mean is that George neutralizes tech rolls, which gives Rachel a free pass into mixups and strong corner pressure. Her normal overhead is slow, but she has several other mixup options with j.2c, rising j.a, or simply hitting low after conditioning you to block high in anticipation of an overhead. She also has tricks such as partially hiding her overhead animations with flashy stuff (again, mostly George). I'm not saying she's impossible to fight or anything, but just that she is a pretty good character overall who is very strong if she gets you in the corner.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Post-CS2, especially. I really like what they did in leveling the playing field with regards to wallbounce mechanics.
Just when I can hold down 5C all day instead of mashing, much of Lambda's corner stuff doesn't work quite like it used to. :(

Akuun

Most, if not all, Blazblue characters become really good in the corner.
True, but characters like Rachel are especially good because they have a way of neutralizing your tech roll and forcing you to wake up blocking, which gives them stronger oki because they can go in for mixups right away. Moves like Rachel's George, Litchi's Daisharin super, and Lambda's 236D wheel all fall into this category.

I still mash 5c out of habit instead of holding it down lol. Force of habit and all that.

I actually like Lambda's new corner stuff. Her new corner combos look cooler than her older CS1/CS2 stuff, precisely because the new proration discourages loops.

Fugu

I know. Rachel is probably one of the matchups I know best because I seem to fight her all the time.

What I mean is that George neutralizes tech rolls, which gives Rachel a free pass into mixups and strong corner pressure. Her normal overhead is slow, but she has several other mixup options with j.2c, rising j.a, or simply hitting low after conditioning you to block high in anticipation of an overhead. She also has tricks such as partially hiding her overhead animations with flashy stuff (again, mostly George). I'm not saying she's impossible to fight or anything, but just that she is a pretty good character overall who is very strong if she gets you in the corner.
As Rachel is a zoning character, I would say that she's not actually that strong in the corner (Much like Lambda and Arakune aren't). She has strong corner oki (what you're describing), but every character with moves has strong corner oki.

EDIT: For the record, two of Litchi's three supers are corner oki supers.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I actually like Lambda's new corner stuff. Her new corner combos look cooler than her older CS1/CS2 stuff, precisely because the new proration discourages loops.
Although it's been funny seeing people think it still works and so don't block or tech during the gaps.

As Rachel is a zoning character, I would say that she's not actually that strong in the corner (Much like Lambda and Arakune aren't).
Granted, I suck at Blazblue, but this sounds backwards to me, unless we're talking up close in the corner rather than having the opponent in the corner.

Akuun

I think her CS2 combos still mostly work in CSX, but are no longer optimal due to proration.

CS1 combos definitely do not work, though.

Granted, I suck at Blazblue, but this sounds backwards to me, unless we're talking up close in the corner rather than having the opponent in the corner.
It sounds backwards to me, too. Rachel's neutral game indeed involves zoning and fishing for an opening, but once she's in (for example, if she gets a hit on you midscreen and does something that sends you to the corner and ends with knockdown), she is not going to back off and try to zone you. She can come in close and pressure because that knockdown gives her the time to set up her poles and George.

If Lambda has you in the corner, she can go in now and then for mixups, but her safest bet is to back up a little and try to lock you down, getting damage primarily from punishing your attempts to escape. This is because her melee and blockstrings are generally pretty terrible, and she is better suited to waiting for you to let down your guard yourself when you try to escape the corner instead of pressuring you into blocking the wrong way.

Rachel's melee is better than Lambda's, and they are backed up by her frogs and poles and such. So once she's in, she'll stay close and make an opening herself instead of waiting for you to stop blocking.

Sorry for the double post BUT the Jubei plushies are on Aksys' store

http://www.aksysgames.com/store/#merch

dxjl8.jpg

Price: $19.99

That price includes shipping, as I'm pretty sure that's how they price their merch unless otherwise indicated. Also, these are pretty limited.
Gah, they only ship to the US. Is there a way to get these in Canada?

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
BlazBlue: Continuum Shift EXTEND PS3/360/VITA and their LEs are all available to purchase on our online store now, if you haven't been able to find a copy and reside in the continental United States :)

http://t.co/jp0flqNA

And Jubei plushies on sale, like mentioned above!

http://li.brari.us/jubeiplush

Gah, they only ship to the US. Is there a way to get these in Canada?

If you email support [at] aksysgames |dot| com, we might be able to help~

firehawk12

Subete no aware
BlazBlue: Continuum Shift EXTEND PS3/360/VITA and their LEs are all available to purchase on our online store now, if you haven't been able to find a copy and reside in the continental United States :)

http://t.co/jp0flqNA

And Jubei plushies on sale, like mentioned above!

http://li.brari.us/jubeiplush

If you email support [at] aksysgames |dot| com, we might be able to help~

Hey, do you know about the situation with the game's available at BestBuy/Futureshop?

Fugu

I mean that their relative strength does not lie in the corner because the their playstyle is oriented around fishing for hits at a long range. Zoning characters are always relatively powerful on the advantage and at distance. Because of that, to fully utilize their abilities, zoning characters have to take themselves out of the corner to keep their opponents in the corner, which makes their corner game not much more powerful than their midscreen because it's similar in function: They are essentially playing their midscreen game but with a back wall. Compared to more rushdown-oriented characters, their options for keeping people in the corner are limited due to less deep gatlings and blockstrings. Rachel is a less extreme example of this because she still has fairly decent conventional pressure, but compared to the kind of lockdown that Taokaka, Jin, Litchi, Carl (etc.) can achieve it's not much.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So I just bought this for Vita. Does it support online play? I'm going to spend intimate time with tutorials and story to learn it, but if there's online and any other Vita noobs like myself, it would be fun to play with them.

I mean that their relative strength does not lie in the corner because the their playstyle is oriented around fishing for hits at a long range. Zoning characters are always relatively powerful on the advantage and at distance. Because of that, to fully utilize their abilities, zoning characters have to take themselves out of the corner to keep their opponents in the corner, which makes their corner game not much more powerful than their midscreen because it's similar in function: They are essentially playing their midscreen game but with a back wall. Compared to more rushdown-oriented characters, their options for keeping people in the corner are limited due to less deep gatlings and blockstrings. Rachel is a less extreme example of this because she still has fairly decent conventional pressure, but compared to the kind of lockdown that Taokaka, Jin, Litchi, Carl (etc.) can achieve it's not much.

I always saw Rachel as a sub-par zoner who uses it to get into the opponent the maintain the pressure. She's an odd mixture of both zoning and pressure. But you have to understand that she's not a real zoner because she cannot get damage from far away. After a full screen lobelia, what do you do? Sword Iris? Baden Baden Lily? It's not that much. She's still very much a rushdown character who has a lot of tools to get into you and maintain the momentum.

Fugu

I always saw Rachel as a sub-par zoner who uses it to get into the opponent the maintain the pressure. She's an odd mixture of both zoning and pressure. But you have to understand that she's not a real zoner because she cannot get damage from far away. After a full screen lobelia, what do you do? Sword Iris? Baden Baden Lily? It's not that much. She's still very much a rushdown character who has a lot of tools to get into you and maintain the momentum.
I don't know. While I agree with you that she is not a true zoning character, She's not exactly a rushdown character either, and she has a lot more fullscreen tools than most characters do. As for her fullscreen damage, Lambda's fullscreen damage is bad too and she's definitely a zoning character.

This new PSR system makes me feel like a boss. I have like 600 and it's still going up.

I don't know. While I agree with you that she is not a true zoning character, She's not exactly a rushdown character either, and she has a lot more fullscreen tools than most characters do. As for her fullscreen damage, Lambda's fullscreen damage is bad too and she's definitely a zoning character.

This new PSR system makes me feel like a boss. I have like 600 and it's still going up.

Yeah, I guess you're right. But I feel like her zoning isn't that great even when she has some tools. It's frustrating when you see your lobelia bounce back after a clash since that means you lose your zoning ability.

Also, the pumpkin is for either rushing in, to save yourself from unsafe moves or to keep pressure/combos... Not really a zoning tool.

But after setting up some pumpkins/rods/frogs/wind stocks, she has some insane pressure. Although I decide to spend everything in a fraction of a second... which I would need to learn how to save.

Is this why my PSR seems so high??? I played like 5 games and jumped to 90. I was thinking I was pretty damn awesome :(

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yeah, I guess you're right. But I feel like her zoning isn't that great even when she has some tools. It's frustrating when you see your lobelia bounce back after a clash since that means you lose your zoning ability.

Also, the pumpkin is for either rushing in, to save yourself from unsafe moves or to keep pressure/combos... Not really a zoning tool.

But after setting up some pumpkins/rods/frogs/wind stocks, she has some insane pressure. Although I decide to spend everything in a fraction of a second... which I would need to learn how to save.

Is this why my PSR seems so high??? I played like 5 games and jumped to 90. I was thinking I was pretty damn awesome :(

The new PSR caps out around 800 for extremely good players, unlike 300 like before.

StayDead

Been playing this most of today on 360. I really like what they've done with Platinum as although some things don't seem to combo anymore, the throw combos are really awesome. Played my friends Ragna/Relius for about 26 games worth and slowly started getting back into the game again.

Platinum <3

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
300 was like the highest possible PSR in CS/CS2. Most good players were barely over 200.

Yeah, I mentioned 300 because I saw that as the highest in CS. Most are around 700 in CSE but there's a couple in the 800s.

Akuun

It's not really fair to compare Rachel to Lambda, because their zoning tools have completely different purposes. Rachel's projectiles are used as cover to get her in, and to maintain pressure once she's in. She is basically a zoning character only in the neutral game, and then becomes a rushdown character as soon as momentum swings in her favor. Lambda's projectiles, in contrast, are meant to lock down the opponent and keep him away from her at all times. Unlike Rachel, she never has any reason tto go in because she CAN get good damage simply from counter hits at among range. That's not to say that she can't go in for mixups, but it's not her main game. Rachel absolutely has to rush down the opponent to get damage, but lambda does not.

Fugu

It's not really fair to compare Rachel to Lambda, because their zoning tools have completely different purposes. Rachel's projectiles are used as cover to get her in, and to maintain pressure once she's in. She is basically a zoning character only in the neutral game, and then becomes a rushdown character as soon as momentum swings in her favor. Lambda's projectiles, in contrast, are meant to lock down the opponent and keep him away from her at all times. Unlike Rachel, she never has any reason tto go in because she CAN get good damage simply from counter hits at among range. That's not to say that she can't go in for mixups, but it's not her main game. Rachel absolutely has to rush down the opponent to get damage, but lambda does not.
I disagree.

Lambda's sword damages maxes out at around 3k without meter, CH or not. She depends on Act Parser CHs or crescent saber to get more than that midscreen (or, god forbid, A gravity well CH) outside of gimmicks with pinwheel. Rachel's max damage without meter on almost every hit outside of the corner is around 2.5k, with the obvious exception being CH cat chair. In the corner, Lambda depends on loops which rely on her being a half screen distance or less, whereas Rachel can use conventional pressure and meter to accomplish similar amounts of damage. But both of their projectiles/animals serve similar purposes -- they both make it difficult for characters to close space in the air (don't forget that Rachel also has one of the game's most powerful AAs) and they make a ground approach dangerous. The major differences are that Lambda has absolutely amazing backdashes and strong, zoning-oriented reversals whereas Rachel has blockstrings that aren't totally worthless.

Real BB players putting NeoGAF on blast.

EDIT: I've beaten his Arakune before. I'll get there...

EDIT: I'm going to go ahead and take credit for winning all of the games by ending that streak.

Esura

Banned
I know I will be dropping this and SCV for SFxTekken in a few weeks though. Having fun with EXTEND and SCV before then though.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
God damn, I can't do shit today. Maybe I shouldn't try to play while I havent eaten all day. My body feels like it's made of lead -.- I GOT RAAAAAAAAAAPED My mind knew everything to do, and my body just said lol fuck you do everything 10 years later.

So I haven't played Blazblue online since early continuum shift days.....are people still bitching about lamda? She's not still top tier right? Which character gets the most hate online?

went to ranked to practice some stuff in a live environment

some dude called stickbug proceeded to wreck my face completely with litchi

training mode only is the way to go for now i guess

Fugu

went to ranked to practice some stuff in a live environment

some dude called stickbug proceeded to wreck my face completely with litchi

training mode only is the way to go for now i guess
Stickbug is a well-known tournament organizer. He's one of the best players on the east coast. Didn't know he could play Litchi, though.

Top Bottom