• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bleeding Edge Review Thread

Raziel

vpDpe34.png
9MmF5dm.png

Destructoid - 6.5/10
I'd like to pick this back up one day, but realistically, I don't see that happening...If you're even remotely interested in Bleeding Edge, play it now while the matchmaking is still lively.

Eurogamer - No score
Bleeding Edge could be on to something with meaningful updates, but at launch it's Xbox Game Pass filler at best.

Game Informer - 6.75/10
Like most living competitive games, there’s a chance Ninja Theory could greatly enhance the experience over time. For the time being, however, it’s entertaining for a bit and then it fades fast.

Gamespot - 6/10
I'd like to believe Microsoft and Ninja Theory will keep tweaking and expanding the game so it can compete with other competitive multiplayer games, but right now it feels like a temporary multiplayer fix for players looking to break up the monotony, rather than the next esports obsession.

PC Gamer - 58/100
Bleeding Edge's characters are cool, but the combat is too shallow to hold attention for long.

USgamer - 2.5/5
It's a solid pick for a few game nights with your pals if you all have Game Pass, but it still needs some time to develop into a true competitor.

TheXboxHub - 4.5/5
While it certainly isn’t what some fans of Ninja Theory may be expecting, it is still a great first collaboration from what will likely be one of Xbox Game Studios’ finest teams.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
When I played with a full team of my buddies it's really fun. the game is too chaotic to truly enjoy alone. There needs to be mechanics that allow players to lonewolf it. A skillful player should be able to 1vX in this game. If the skill gap is really large it's possible, but absolute requirement to have a full team at all times just makes the game difficult to enjoy.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
To be honest I downloaded it and never tried it and just delete it 🤭

Mediocre studio outputting mediocre games, sounds about right.
Instead of 2-3 studios I would have been happier if MS had bought 1 high caliber studio with that money.

Nah they make pretty good games, I would say. It's just probably with MS moeny, they try even those concepts, which would be otherwise binned.

Reminds me of Brink.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Eurogamer:

"Bleeding Edge could be on to something with meaningful updates, but at launch it's Xbox Game Pass filler at best."

Game Pass filler? Is that like a compliment or an insult?

pr0cs

I just couldn't even make it out of the tutorial.
Just not my kind of game and felt like it would live or die by the community which I just don't have time for

Shin

Banned
Nah they make pretty good games,
I'm of opinion that Tameem Antoniades influence runs rampant as their output is the same-ish.
Don't know what the style is called, but I'd say it's more of a personal thing than the vision of the whole studio.
DMC's character design and his resemblance comes to mind, not sure how to explain it - IMO he should be fired so the studio will be free and creative.

Vawn

Banned
Eurogamer:

"Bleeding Edge could be on to something with meaningful updates, but at launch it's Xbox Game Pass filler at best."

Game Pass filler? Is that like a compliment or an insult?

It's the future - a world where games don't need to be good enough to sell for $60 or more, just good enough for people to not go out of their way to jump through a much of hoops to stop the monthly charge to their credit cards.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I'm of opinion that Tameem Antoniades influence runs rampant as their output is the same-ish.
Don't know what the style is called, but I'd say it's more of a personal thing than the vision of the whole studio.
DMC's character design and his resemblance comes to mind, not sure how to explain it - IMO he should be fired so the studio will be free and creative.
I think I understand what do you mean. Only afterwards you said that obviously. I don't think that makes a game bad and Hellblade was pretty different at least camera wise.

Psykodad

Banned
It's the future - a world where games don't need to be good enough to sell for $60 or more, just good enough for people to not go out of their way to jump through a much of hoops to stop the monthly charge to their credit cards.
It's so painfully obvious what happens with most games under MS.

But don't you dare point it out.

Shame though, because Ninja Theory is a great studio.

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
I think I understand what do you mean. Only afterwards you said that obviously. I don't think that makes a game bad and Hellblade was pretty different at least camera wise.
Nariko was also interesting (design wise), but Enslaved then again was closer to that, strangely they seem to have a female lead fetish of sort. :messenger_neutral:
Nothing wrong with it, but they need to expand IMO as they have the talent it just needs to be taped into then again almost every company is sticking to what they know/sell so yeah.

Mr Hyde

Sounds like a pretty dull future, if this is the quality we get. Shame, I like NTs previous games, would hate to see them put out bargain bin games. I really hope MS lets them flourish and not be another Rare.

Alphagear

Microsoft wanted to outmatch Sonys 14 studios by getting more studios within a couple of years.

Not knowing it has taken Sony 25 years of chopping and changing before being satisfied with what they have.

Panic buying if anything by Microsoft.

Would have prefered if they went the Sony route and wait until a developer has proven themselves before buying.

Surprised Microsoft didnt acquire Remedy or even Platinum studio. They have the money.

If the Japanese market mattered then Mistwalker was a good choice.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
To be honest I downloaded it and never tried it and just delete it 🤭

Nah they make pretty good games, I would say. It's just probably with MS moeny, they try even those concepts, which would be otherwise binned.

Reminds me of Brink.
Well this game was in development shortly after the release of HellBlade, so it's not representative of what they can do with Microsoft's backing. I would look more to Hellblade II and this Project Mara game they got in the works.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
MS destroy every company they got.

Hands of destruction.

Indeed. MS has a habit of forcing their newly acquired studios to make games outside of their comfort zones but to follow the latest industry fads. Ninja Theory has only done singple player story heavy games and now they're doing a team-based online brawler. That's obviously MS' influence.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
In genres that has lots of competition, you either need to be better or different, if not then its gonna die out, especially when it comes to MP focus games.

i bet, it would not be the case if the game would be 9/10 or similar. then everybody would praise m$. excuses excuses excuses, like always.

Don't bet with me, im not a kiddo gamer from 2k's, i know everything i like, and why i like.

My games knowledge is huge, so pls no trivial replies like scores to me.

Roberts

As I said in the other thread, I like it a lot. Usually not very good at competitive games, but the gameplay mechanics here are really up my valley, especially when playing as ZeroCool. Love it.

And, yes, if there is no teamplay, doesn't matter how good you are - you are screwed. I actually like it that way. When your team does play together, it feels so satisfying to kick the ass of the other team. That said, played it till got all the achievements and I think I'm done unless they add some new content.

I get that it is not for everyone - a friend joined me for one game and uninstalled it afterwards, but I'm glad it exists.

As I said in the other thread, I like it a lot. Usually not very good at competitive games, but the gameplay mechanics here are really up my valley, especially when playing as ZeroCool. Love it.

And, yes, if there is no teamplay, doesn't matter how good you are - you are screwed. I actually like it that way. When your team does play together, it feels so satisfying to kick the ass of the other team. That said, played it till got all the achievements and I think I'm done unless they add some new content.

I get that it is not for everyone - a friend joined me for one game and uninstalled it afterwards, but I'm glad it exists.

Id rate it a 6/10 but I don’t think that’s a bad score. It can certainly go higher with more content. The gameplay is very good. And yes I also enjoy the team concept of it even if my teammates are typically pure doodoo that ignore objectives.

Kusarigama

Tameem has not worked on Bleeding Edge. This was started by a separate team while Tameem was busy with Hell Blade.

Shin

Banned
Tameem has not worked on Bleeding Edge. This was started by a separate team while Tameem was busy with Hell Blade.
Co-Founder and chief creative director vs. a director (Rahni Tucker / Bleeding Edge), my point stands.
I'll double down on that even because Rahni worked on DMC IIRC and look how that turned out.
The same can be said about the idiotic brothers at Crytek.

20111228143542693.jpg

Kusarigama

Co-Founder and chief creative director vs. a director (Rahni Tucker / Bleeding Edge), my point stands.
I'll double down on that even because Rahni worked on DMC IIRC and look how that turned out.
The same can be said about the idiotic brothers at Crytek.

20111228143542693.jpg
dMc was divisive. The new direction was not something that wasn't approved by capcom. I liked it a lot. Infact it is the only dmc game that I have played till the end. Bleeding Edge is an experiment for sure. How many melee multiplayer games have existed before it? GoW Ascension comes to mind. If you don't try new stuff, you get stuck with same stuff.

McCheese

Just to stack up the failure, It has 20 viewers over on Mixer right now, and to be fair to Mixer, it has only 41 viewers on Twitch. For reference, this is trending worse than LawBreakers so that's an Xbox achievement pop-up for the team right there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom