• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bleeding Edge Review Thread

To be fair, they were working on this game before the MS acquisition.

That's true but they still released the game this way. Microsoft could have helped them make it better. If I remember correctly Naughty Dog wasn't always known for making Uncharted games. Sony helped them reach that point.

But to be fair this doesn't mean that future titles will be bad. I'm pretty sure HellBlade 2 will be much better.

Microsoft continues to have a quality control problem with their first party games. Seriously who at MS is in charge of checking the quality of their games before it gets released?

If Nintendo's next big Mario or Zelda game was being developed and it was turning out how bad Halo 5 was for the Halo franchise they would never have released the game. Case in point they scrapped Metroid 4 and gave it to another developer. I'm starting to think no one at Microsoft actually checks their games, if the dev says its good to go then Microsoft starts printing the discs.

Psykodad

Banned
Microsoft continues to have a quality control problem with their first party games. Seriously who at MS is in charge of checking the quality of their games before it gets released?

If Nintendo's next big Mario or Zelda game was being developed and it was turning out how bad Halo 5 was for the Halo franchise they would never have released the game. Case in point they scrapped Metroid 4 and gave it to another developer. I'm starting to think no one at Microsoft actually checks their games, if the dev says its good to go then Microsoft starts printing the discs.
MS is focussing on GaaS, so they'll likely get a basic concept out and improve it gradually.

Which is exactly their overall problem.

GHG

Gold Member

They release alphas and betas to get "community feedback" .

People who are "insiders" get access to these alpha/beta tests first:

By virtue of the methods they are using to test these games, they are not getting the feedback they need.

By virtue of the methods they are using to test these games, they are not getting the feedback they need.
That might be one of the worst quality control ideas I've ever seen. If I was gonna get community feedback (which would only be a secondary control) it would be doing research and finding prominent fans that have a history with a series, who know it inside and out and who's content shows a deep understanding of what makes it great. Like if I wanted feedback for the next Halo I'd go to youtubers like the act man, but if I wanted feedback on the next Killer Instinct game his opinion would mean nothing to me. Having a already set group of "insiders" for every game is just dumb.

Reactions: GHG

Dory16

Banned
That's true but they still released the game this way. Microsoft could have helped them make it better. If I remember correctly Naughty Dog wasn't always known for making Uncharted games. Sony helped them reach that point.

But to be fair this doesn't mean that future titles will be bad. I'm pretty sure HellBlade 2 will be much better.
What exactly is wrong with this title in your opinion? Not every game has to be a 3rd person action adventure AAA. This was never advertised as such. It's overwatch like and a side project that xbox players get for free on game pass. What does it have to do with Naughty Dog?

Dory16

Banned
That might be one of the worst quality control ideas I've ever seen. If I was gonna get community feedback (which would only be a secondary control) it would be doing research and finding prominent fans that have a history with a series, who know it inside and out and who's content shows a deep understanding of what makes it great. Like if I wanted feedback for the next Halo I'd go to youtubers like the act man, but if I wanted feedback on the next Killer Instinct game his opinion would mean nothing to me. Having a already set group of "insiders" for every game is just dumb.
Thanks for your expertise.

Fake

That might be one of the worst quality control ideas I've ever seen.

Microsoft is actually looking for a cheap way to abuse control quality. If I remember right, Microsoft did something similar on Windows 10 when they fired most of the quality control staff. Windows 10 quality control those days are most 'Windows forum' with work by one the stupid ideias I ever heard. You create a thread about the problem you have with Windows 10 and only if get high upvoted, they took measure to resolve that. One day someone posted about a Windows 10 update erasing HD files, but get little upvote so Microsoft push the update anyway. After that you know what happens, users get their files deleted and Microsoft pushed back their update until the fix the problem.
Happens with Xbox division as well. I don't know what they're thinking for seeing this as a better solution or even if this are paying off.

Last edited:
What exactly is wrong with this title in your opinion? Not every game has to be a 3rd person action adventure AAA. This was never advertised as such. It's overwatch like and a side project that xbox players get for free on game pass. What does it have to do with Naughty Dog?

Microsoft will nurture Ninja Theory to be an even greater studio. Which is what Sony did with Naughty Dog in my opinion . I was only using Naughty Dog as an example. No offense intended.

GHG

Gold Member
This is your counter argument? For real?

Honestly I'm not surprised.

Whenever these tests take place any negative feedback is shouted down by the superfans who love everything and anything Xbox. People get labeled "haters", "not real fans" and all sorts when in reality they are just trying to give honest feedback to enable the devs to improve the game. "It's just an alpha, what do you expect" is also another one.

It's sad really.

Honestly I'm not surprised.

Whenever these tests take place any negative feedback is shouted down by the superfans who love everything and anything Xbox. People get labeled "haters", "not real fans" and all sorts when in reality they are just trying to give honest feedback to enable the devs to improve the game. "It's just an alpha, what do you expect" is also another one.

It's sad really.

As someone who participates in tons of MP betas, this is the case for virtually every one of them. You can browse Reddit or if the game has one, official forums and you can always find people brushing off valid criticism. It’s just your basic fandom. But there was plenty of good feedback given to the devs for this game and they listened to it and have already updated it a couple times.

Also you said earlier you have to be an Insider to play test these games, per usual you’re in an Xbox thread spreading nonsense. They usually have technical tests for these games that are Insider only but they don’t last long. Since GamePass launched they typically do a couple tech tests and then open betas. IIRC this game had two tech tests for Insiders and two open betas. Gears got a couple tech tests and then open betas. They don’t use the Insider program to do all of their beta testing, lol.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: GHG

ethomaz

Banned

That is a big issue... most Insiders are heavy Xbox fans that will praise anything so the couldn’t give feedback that makes a game better...

GHG

Gold Member
As someone who participates in tons of MP betas, this is the case for virtually every one of them. You can browse Reddit or if the game has one, official forums and you can always find people brushing off valid criticism. It’s just your basic fandom. But there was plenty of good feedback given to the devs for this game and they listened to it and have already updated it a couple times.

Also you said earlier you have to be an Insider to play test these games, per usual you’re in an Xbox thread spreading nonsense. They usually have technical tests for these games that are Insider only but they don’t last long. Since GamePass launched they typically do a couple tech tests and then open betas. IIRC this game had two tech tests for Insiders and two open betas. Gears got a couple tech tests and then open betas. They don’t use the Insider program to do all of their beta testing, lol.

As per usual maybe you have a problem reading? :

Lol indeed.

And actually no, I've taken part in a ton of alpha/beta's this gen (some even under NDA) , was involved in the development for both Project Cars games via WMD as an "investor" and I've never seen what I witnessed with the Sea of Thieves alpha and betas anywhere else.

But I guess that's what happens when you give your alpha testers the impression you are doing them a favour by letting them test your game.

Last edited:
Virtually everyone nowadays entices alpha test access behind paywalls like preorders or membership. Again you’re bitching about something typical but making it seem as if MS is doing something unique 😆

The game got at least four tests/betas. Lack of feedback was not an issue no matter what you experienced in Sea of Thieves.

GHG

Gold Member
Virtually everyone nowadays entices alpha test access behind paywalls like preorders or membership. Again you’re bitching about something typical but making it seem as if MS is doing something unique 😆

The game got at least four tests/betas. Lack of feedback was not an issue no matter what you experienced in Sea of Thieves.

Never said there was a lack of feedback either. It's the type of feedback that's been the issue.

And again no, virtually everyone doesn't do "fans only" alpha/beta tests. There's a reason why most companies in the industry will pay money to have independent external play-testers sourced for them.

It's crazy how you'll brush off clear issues and say "well everyone else does it". Keep at it I guess.

giphy.gif

Psykodad

Banned
What people are expecting?

The best Ninja Theory game was an 8/10.
They never did a great game.
Hellblade is easily one of the best games this gen, though.
And personally I'd put both that and Heavenly Sword in my top 10 of all time.
They just never were AAA.

But I suppose it's subjective.

Last edited:

ILLtown

Microsoft is actually looking for a cheap way to abuse control quality. If I remember right, Microsoft did something similar on Windows 10 when they fired most of the quality control staff. Windows 10 quality control those days are most 'Windows forum' with work by one the stupid ideias I ever heard. You create a thread about the problem you have with Windows 10 and only if get high upvoted, they took measure to resolve that. One day someone posted about a Windows 10 update erasing HD files, but get little upvote so Microsoft push the update anyway. After that you know what happens, users get their files deleted and Microsoft pushed back their update until the fix the problem.
Happens with Xbox division as well. I don't know what they're thinking for seeing this as a better solution or even if this are paying off.
Yep, the quality of MS's products has dropped as a result of this. With the Xbox stuff, even when lots of people are all saying the same thing, they sometimes still don't listen.

Cortana is one example. When that was in testing, lots of people said it sucked. That it was too slow compared to the OG "Xbox take a screenshot"-type commands. That it often didn't respond in the correct way. That it wasn't anywhere near ready to be rolled out. They rolled it out anyway, it barely improved, then a couple of years later, they removed it from the console.

I remember one thread on the Xbox Insiders sub-Reddit that had a heavily-upvoted comment in it from someone saying they wish MS would focus more on stability/speed/polish with the Xbox UI instead of a heavy focus on adding new features, and a senior member of the Xbox team replied and said "You might want your parents to buy you a pony, but that doesn't mean you're going to get one" - a comment they later deleted.

I submitted nearly 200 bug reports via the Xbox One when I was an insider, but I opted my console out of it over a year ago and won't be going back.

Bankai

Goddamnit MS & its first party studios, just release some GREAT QUALITY titles!! How hard can it be???

Sony does it :messenger_savoring:

Never said there was a lack of feedback either. It's the type of feedback that's been the issue.

And again no, virtually everyone doesn't do "fans only" alpha/beta tests. There's a reason why most companies in the industry will pay money to have independent external play-testers sourced for them.

It's crazy how you'll brush off clear issues and say "well everyone else does it". Keep at it I guess.

giphy.gif

You have no idea what internal or independent testing they do. And yeah, virtually everyone does alpha/beta tests for people who preorder the game or join some membership. As well as completely open betas. Just like NT did for Bleeding Edge 😊

I don’t think you have any idea the type of feedback these games get. NT has forums and a presence on the BE Reddit as well as a Discord for the game and they got great feedback from all three. I know because I was there reading it and giving it. Again, sorry Sea of Thieves scarred you so.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Yup, even though it had a derogatory edge to it...as it came mostly from us Sony fans. There does seem to be some validity to the term, in that much of the output may be used to fill out the game pass library (whether good or bad).

Said this since day one but of course the defense squad came to downplay it. I said Microsoft will cut budget on individual AAA games and just churn out more AA like games to fill that gamepass catalog. Looks like it is coming to fruition as stated.

Last edited:
Said this since day one but of course the defense squad came to downplay it. I said Microsoft will cut budget on individual AAA games and just churn out more AA like games to fill that gamepass catalog. Looks like it is coming to fruition as stated.

It’s almost as if they just bought a bunch of studios and it takes years for AAA games to be made.

Gamernyc78

Banned
It’s almost as if they just bought a bunch of studios and it takes years for AAA games to be made.

Yeah like Bleeding Edge 🤔 We've also been hearing this same regurgitated excuse for years already with studios they already had for years 😊 Like Crackdown 3 was going to be awesome with Uber cool destruction, took yearssss of investment and what did we get???? 👌🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

GymWolf

Eurogamer:

"Bleeding Edge could be on to something with meaningful updates, but at launch it's Xbox Game Pass filler at best."

Game Pass filler? Is that like a compliment or an insult?
you wife married you just as a filler between her many external lovers.
do you feel insulted by this?

that's you answer.
of course i'm joking about your wife, don't get mad:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:
Yeah like Bleeding Edge 🤔 We've also been hearing this same regurgitated excuse for years already with studios they already had for years 😊 Like Crackdown 3 was going to be awesome with Uber cool destruction, took yearssss of investment and what did we get???? 👌🤦‍♂️

Bleeding Edge was a small project the studio was already working on. Literally the exact opposite of what I described. Also spending a lot of money and time doesn’t guarantee a good game, please quote where I said this? Yeah MS misfired with Crackdown 3. Sony did with Days Gone. It happens.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Bleeding Edge was a small project the studio was already working on. Literally the exact opposite of what I described. Also spending a lot of money and time doesn’t guarantee a good game, please quote where I said this? Yeah MS misfired with Crackdown 3. Sony did with Days Gone. It happens.

Nice comparing a game tht is 71 meta and that sold successfully to Crackdown 3 which sits at 60 meta (and yes 11 points difference is big), would have sold like shit even if not on gamepass lol and was in devolopment for way longer with several teams involved but still missed its mark. You are poving my point. Crackdown 3 isn't an outlier in Microsofts portfolio but the norm with their first parties overall.

I mean what's hard to understand? Again! Sony's first parties overall and in quantity are better meta wise, goty wise and graphically if you look at the sum of all parts and its not close. Even ps3 exclusives avg higher and that's during the days it was close. But ps3 graphically after uncharted 2 just had no competitors in first party sector.

We have years of data from those studios in terms of awards, ips, meta avgs to prove my point, what do you have? Blind faith?

Bro have your opinion but it's based on nothing. Again Microsoft has had yearssss to prove ppl wrong since ppl complained thy only relied on the trifecta of gears, halo, Forza and proved nothing. If anything besides Forza even those once strong titans have been in a bit of a downfall and haven't got stronger.

Last edited:

xool

Mediocre studio outputting mediocre games, sounds about right.
Instead of 2-3 studios I would have been happier if MS had bought 1 high caliber studio with that money.

I actually don't. First parties always end up serving 2 masters - make a game and make a shiny system seller. These two things are not the same. Multiplatform is almost always better.

Far better some AA devs got life support and quality multiplatform devs stayed that way.

[edit] expecting Insomniac to wither on the vine under sony btw.

Last edited:

xool

I'm of opinion that Tameem Antoniades influence runs rampant as their output is the same-ish.
Don't know what the style is called, but I'd say it's more of a personal thing than the vision of the whole studio.
DMC's character design and his resemblance comes to mind, not sure how to explain it - IMO he should be fired so the studio will be free and creative.
Damn right.

Red head skank (apologies if skank means something different in your country)

Ninja Theory - red head female skank protrag
Enslaved - red head female skank protag
DmC - Dante has dark red hair. skank/"heroin chic" look replaces old dante. Kat is skanky turned to 11
Senua - skanky protag, celtic therefore red hair (under mud/dirt)

idk who in the studio is responsible for this but not unlikely that greek guy has the hots for skinny red heads

;tldr Art design at NT thinks being a heroin addict is cool. Wanks to red hair.

[edit] let me check :
cJpCyFA.jpg

Red head - check
Skinny - check
Looks a mess - check.

100% all the time, every game they make.

Last edited:

Crew 511A

Eh...I'm seriously concerned with how they are managing these studios. Rare is a prime example of this. Talk about a disappointment. Then you've got legitimately successful first party franchises like Halo and Gears of War where Microsoft can't keep the original dev teams around, and the series is run into the ground by people who don't understand why the games were successful in the first place. But I digress.

In terms of Bleeding Edge, not enough maps and game modes, and the high TTK just means whichever team stays together or gets the first couple of kills will run the board. The character design is an acquired taste, and I haven't acquired it. If you want a game like this, I'm not sure why you wouldn't just play Overwatch.

Nice comparing a game tht is 71 meta and that sold successfully to Crackdown 3 which sits at 60 meta (and yes 11 points difference is big), would have sold like shit even if not on gamepass lol and was in devolopment for way longer with several teams involved but still missed its mark. You are poving my point. Crackdown 3 isn't an outlier in Microsofts portfolio but the norm with their first parties overall.

I mean what's hard to understand? Again! Sony's first parties overall and in quantity are better meta wise, goty wise and graphically if you look at the sum of all parts and its not close. Even ps3 exclusives avg higher and that's during the days it was close. But ps3 graphically after uncharted 2 just had no competitors in first party sector.

We have years of data from those studios in terms of awards, ips, meta avgs to prove my point, what do you have? Blind faith?

Bro have your opinion but it's based on nothing. Again Microsoft has had yearssss to prove ppl wrong since ppl complained thy only relied on the trifecta of gears, halo, Forza and proved nothing. If anything besides Forza even those once strong titans have been in a bit of a downfall and haven't got stronger.

Meta 😆 Days Gone is trash, idc what the meta is. If I said Order 1886, would that make you feel better? The moral of the story is every platform holder misfires. Basically you’re expecting MS to shoot out AAA titles right after buying these studios, when most of them already had stuff in the works and when games take years to make. Which opinion is based off of nothing again?

How many years you think people have been waiting on MS to step up their first party is irrelevant. They just bought a bunch of studios. Games take time to make.

wipeout364

I haven’t played the game but I will say that the art style in this game makes me actively dislike it. I essentially have it for free on game pass and haven’t installed it for that reason, I don’t want to look at that IMO ugly design, it one up borderlands in this department in all the wrong ways.

GHG

Gold Member
You have no idea what internal or independent testing they do. And yeah, virtually everyone does alpha/beta tests for people who preorder the game or join some membership. As well as completely open betas. Just like NT did for Bleeding Edge 😊

I don’t think you have any idea the type of feedback these games get. NT has forums and a presence on the BE Reddit as well as a Discord for the game and they got great feedback from all three. I know because I was there reading it and giving it. Again, sorry Sea of Thieves scarred you so.

I know exactly the type of feedback these games get, and it's been consistent since they started putting emphasis on the insider program and giving players incentives for merely participating. All in all it's been a great way to get honest and unbiased feedback... not.

It's funny that for feedback avenues you mention the exact same three places (forums, reddit, discord) where the game was also supposedly 'marketed' as well. I see those three avenues are working tremendously well and getting desired results in all aspects 😊

Firing on all cylinders I tell you.

Last edited:
Show me on the doll where Sea of Thieves touched you.

Bleeding Edge got a lot of good feedback from the betas and tech tests. Again, I was there and saw it. You apparently were in the corner sucking your thumb distressed from a SoT beta or something.

Youre saying they marketed Bleeding Edge on the Bleeding Edge forums and Discord? What a big brain move, probably got a lot of people that way who had no idea what it is.

Last edited:
I haven’t played the game but I will say that the art style in this game makes me actively dislike it. I essentially have it for free on game pass and haven’t installed it for that reason, I don’t want to look at that IMO ugly design, it one up borderlands in this department in all the wrong ways.

It certainly has a Battleborn type of polarizing art style.

Neo_game

What people are expecting?

The best Ninja Theory game was an 8/10.
They never did a great game.

I disagree. They are talented devs. They need good support and backing, assuming the talent has not left. lol. IMO there are many good dev team out there but they do not get the support, marketing to push their games.

Top Bottom