• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bleep.com's 25 Top Albums of 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
1. Battles - Mirrored (Warp)
After a string of critically received EPs and incendiary live shows, New York quartet Battles finally released their debut album this year in the shape of Mirrored. With expectations flying high, the four piece, consisting of members of Don Caballero and Helmet, delivered the album that many hoped they would, relentlessly experimental yet with a laser sharp precision and sense of purpose. Even within the avant-rock community Mirrored is a startlingly original work, a roadmap to the future where silicon chips and circuit boards are as much a part of the DNA of rock music as guitars and drums, if George Lucas had gifted Mos Eisley Spaceport with a CBGBs rather than a Cantina, Battles would have been the house band. Easily our album of the year, with Mirrored Battles have raised the game to new heights and left the rest of the world playing catch up.

2. Burial - Untrue (Hyperdub)
One of the most anticipated albums of the year, Burial's Untrue finally emerged at the end of this year to be met with near universal praise, with everyone from the broadsheets to electronic message boards buzzing with praise for the South Londoner's sophomore effort. A truly original album, Untrue rewires dubsteps origins, filtering the jagged beats of 2 step through an ambient haze till the end result is like stumbling across the ghost frequencies of some long dead pirate radio station in the dead of night.

3. Björk - Volta (One Little Indian)
A new Bjork album is always a special event and her latest effort, Volta, featuring collaborations with the likes of Konono N°1, Antony Hegarty, Lightning Bolt and long time producer Mark Bell (LFO) was no exception. Taking a looser approach than her last few albums, Volta is a microcosm of her entire career taking moments of inspiration from each of her previous 5 albums from the untamed exuberance of Debut to Vespertine's hushed beauty. Another fine album from a relentlessly experimental artist.

4. Matthew Dear - Asa Breed (Ghostly International)
Michigan's Matthew Dear has been keeping dancefloors packed for several years now with his peerless techno productions both under his own name and as Audion. Being one of the world's most respected dancefloor technicians obviously wasn't enough though, as for 'Asa Breed' he delivered his most song based effort yet and made a bold bid for Depeche Mode's electro pop crown. Throughout the albums 12 tracks, Dear's hypnotic bleeps and beats are cut through with his sonorous and melancholy tinged vocals, breathy harmonies and towards the end of the album unexpected moments of acoustic guitar. A wonderful and surprising album from an artist not afraid to expand his range and confound expectations.

5. Stars of the Lid - And Their Refinement of the Decline (Kranky)
A gorgeous ambient album of subtle tones and harmonics from Kranky's Stars of the Lid, 'And Their Refinement of the Decline' bathes the listener in sound, immersing you in its quiet hazy beauty. Amassed from five years of recordings and clocking in at nearly two hours, this is the kind of album you just assume isn't made anymore, slow, luxurious and utterly mesmerising it takes its time to slowly build up each tune and draw the listener into the velvet folds of its melodies.

6. Von Sudenfed - Tromatic Reflexxions (Domino)
It's taken nearly 30 years but it appears that the mercurial Mark E Smith has finally found his match. Having ruled his band The Fall with an iron fist, hiring and firing at will, it was quite a shock to find the post-punk tyrant fronting an unlikely partnership with German electronic duo Mouse on Mars. An even greater shock came when the resulting collaborative effort, under the name Von Sudenfed, turned out to be the best work any of the parties involved had produced for many years, an electronic, disco punk tour de force.

7. Panda Bear - Person Pitch (Paw Tracks)
As the lead singer with Animal Collective, Noah Lennox aka Panda Bear already has several classic albums under his belt but with his third solo effort Person Pitch he possibly topped them all. 7 tracks of psychedelic whimsy and experimentation that however weird and wonderful they get are still firmly rooted in a pop tradition and had everyone from The Observer to Pitchfork to the bloke behind the counter in Rough Trade competing to shower Person Pitch in well deserved praise.

8. Field Music - Tones Of Town (Memphis Industries)
The second album from Sunderland's Field Music saw the bands early promise come to fruition. 12 tracks of bottled sunshine that references bands as diverse as The Beach Boys, ELO, and Supertramp but manages to sound so much more than just the sum of its influences. Short, sharp and to the point, this is how pop music should be made. Although ideally listened to in an open topped cadillac as you sweep through America, 'Tones Of Town' will still bring a little joy into your life when you're crammed on to your train in the morning rush hour.

9. Modeselektor - Happy Birthday! (Bpitch Control)
After putting shame in the game of many other electronica producers with their debut album 'Hello Mom', Modeselektor returned this year with the brilliant 'Happy Birthday'. Once again they easily straddled the divide between the more experimental scene and the full on electro party madness of the Ed Banger/Institubes crews with an album that threw everything from dancehall, grime, hip-hop and electro into the mix and features a stellar rollcall of guests from the unlikely such as Thom Yorke (!) and Maximo Park (!!), to the more familiar likes of TTC, Otto Von Schirach and Puppetmastaz.

10. LCD Soundsystem - 45:33:00 (DFA)
Originally released in 2006 in conjunction with Nike, 45:33:00 is a mostly instrumental piece conceived as a soundtrack to your workout. Don't let the gimmicky concept fool you though, 45.33 is a sublime album and perfect accompaniment to this years 'Sound of Silver' LP which garnered most of the press. From the gorgeously soulful disco opener, through the slow burning electro of Someone Great and onto the album's ambient coda this is one of the best releases to date from James Murphy, and that's high praise indeed.

11. Paul Hillier& Theatre of Voices - Stockhausen : Stimmung (Harmonia Mundi)
Recorded in Copenhagen last year, this is only the third recording in existence of Stockhausen's Stimmung, a 70 minute vocal piece based around a single six-note chord, and acclaimed as the best to date. It's clever stuff, though you don't need a masters degree in music theory to enjoy what has been hailed as a masterpiece of the twentieth century and is a fitting tribute to the recently deceased composer. One of THE classical releases of the year.

12. Black Dice - Load Blown (Paw Tracks)
For this their fourth album, Brooklyn experimentalists, Black Dice, jumped ship from the mighty DFA to Animal Collective's Paw Tracks label, and it seems the change did them the world of good as Load Blown is probably the bands best work to date. A challenging rollercoaster of fractured samples, sheets of processed noise and complex rhythms, it may not be an easy listen but persevere and it is certainly a rewarding one, with the end result something close to what you might get should Autechre choose to remix Byrne and Eno's 'My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts'.

13. Fairmont - Coloured In Memory (Border Community)
One of the best British techno labels around at the moment, Border Community have got a knack for releasing music with its feet on the dancefloor and its head in the clouds, ploughing a similarly melodic yet club friendly furrow as Cologne's Kompakt. Having scored with excellent albums from Nathan Fake and label boss James Holden, Fairmont's 'Coloured In Memory' had a lot to live up to and delivered in spades, with a combination of almost celestial synthesizers, cloaked nimbus-like in reverb that floated above the intricate beats and rumbling bass and never let you forget that techno always sounds best when pumped through a wall sized soundsystem.

14. Murcof - Cosmos (Leaf)

Fernando Corona's long-awaited third album as Murcof, Cosmos was composed almost entirely from recordings of classical instruments, a move away from the micro-programmed sound he helped to pioneer. The immensity of tracks like the monolithic twins 'Cosmos I' and 'Cosmos II' brings to mind the work of the German electronic pioneers of the '70s or the Hungarian composer György Ligeti as much as the visceral, low-end rumblings of SunnO))) or Coil.

15. Strategy - Future Rock (Kranky)
Like early morning dew catching the first rays of the morning's sun, Future Rock glistens and shimmers and despite its obvious debt to dub, a genre normally noted for its heaviness, this is an effortlessly light album. Its bright shards of sound swaddle you in reverb and raise the listener higher and higher above the clouds before they echo off into infinity.

16. Blonde Redhead - 23 (4AD)
Formed in 1993, Blonde Redhead initially came under the wing of New York art rock noisiness Sonic Youth. Several albums, line-up changes and years on though and their chiming wall of guitars has become ever hazier and ethereal and latest album 23 bore a greater comparison to a peppier version of the sublime 'Loveless' by My Bloody Valentine or label mates the Cocteau Twins. Kazoo Makino's vocals float above the noise held aloft by whispered sighs, whilst the guitars are draped in sheets of echo and reverb and accompanied by the warmest synthesizers and strings.

17. Holy Fuck - LP (Young Turks)
Purveyors of deranged psychedelic disco punk, Canada's Holy Fuck won't be clocking up much daytime radio play with a name like that not that they'll be too concerned. Recorded whilst on tour, LP manages to capture the spirit of their amazing live shows and burns with a level of invention and passion that you'll be hard pressed to find in most other 'rock' albums released this year.

18. Luke Vibert - Chicago, Detroit, Redruth (Planet Mu)
It's been a busy year for Mr Vibert, not only did his collaboration with Jean Jacques Perry finally see the light of day but he also managed to squeeze in 2 solo albums and found time to remaster and re-release an extensive part of his vast back catalogue. Chicago, Detroit, Redruth, his solo album for Planet Mu probably just pips it as our pick of the bunch, no radical departures from his trademark style, but top notch analogue/moog-y/acid loveliness as ever, perfect for dancing, DJing, driving and everything else in between.

19. Dizzee Rascal - Maths + English (XL)
Whilst the grime scene continued to implode in a series of increasingly pointless and petty squabbles it took the return of Bow's Dizzee Rascal to remind us what made this genre so exciting in the first place. Not that Maths & English bares much comparison to the current sounds of the pirates or even the rough, arcade game beats of his debut 'Boy In Da Corner', but Dizzee has managed to raise both his lyrical and production game without sacrificing any of the raw energy that originally made him such an exciting prospect.

20. Alva Noto - Xerrox (Raster Noton)
Alva Noto is the operating alias of Berlin-based musician and composer Carsten Nicolai. Perhaps best known for his collaborative work with Ryuichi Sakamoto, Alva Noto's music focuses on texture and resonance, ranging from serene, contemplative calm to abrasive abstractions. On this latest work 'Xerrox', real world recordings of muzak, advertising, soundtracks and entertainment programs that we hear randomly in everyday life are manipulated beyond recognition.

21. White Rainbow - Prism of Eternal Now (Kranky)
Simply magisterial album of electro-acoustic noise and ambient textures on Kranky from White Rainbow and in much the same vein as the epic Stars Of The Lid album also released this year. From tracks that throb and hum with an industrial menace to moments of sublime beauty Prism Of Eternal Now is like listening in to the dreams of a vast slumbering power station.

22. Gosub - Watchers From The Black Universe (Citinite)
A new album on the peerless Citinite label is always a good thing. After releasing the excellent John Davis album Flashcan last year, Citinite returned to the present day with the latest effort from Gosub, the operating alias of Shad T Scott, electro producer extraordinaire and head of the Isophlux label. Watchers From The Black Universe not only boasts one of the best titles of the year but is the kind of lovingly crafted electro that makes grown men misty eyed. Fans of acts such as Drexciya and Dopplereffekt would do well to check this out.

23. Neil Landstrumm - Restaurant Of Assassins (Planet Mu)
Once upon a time Neil used to make no-nonsense serious techno records. But in 2007, no doubt fuelled and inspired by the UK's current climate of rave regeneration mixed with dubstep/dancehall-led sonic explorations, Landstrumm has patented a brilliant blend of early Warp/Leeds style warehouse clonk, dubstep, rave, techno and filthy huge low end BASS that puts him alongside the most interesting producers operating in the UK today. This is probably Neil's best record to date - and this man has made a lot of good records.

24. Future Pilot AKA - Secrets From The Clockhouse (Creeping Bent)Featuring collaborations with amongst others Thurston Moore, Belle & Sebastian and Can's Damo Suzuki, 'Secrets Of The Clockhouse' is an eclectic affair from ex-Soup Dragon Sushil Dade that ranges from sunshine fuelled psychedelic whimsy to wide eyed pop, via moments of folk and jazz and eastern chimes. An utterly irresistible record that brims with optimism and has the power to brighten up even the coldest winter day.

25. Oren Ambarchi - In The Pendulum's Embrace (Touch)

Stately, sonorous and full of space Oren Ambarchi's 'In The Pendulum's Embrace' consists of three tracks of slowly unfolding drones and tones, occasionally punctuated by simple plucked guitar notes. 'In The Pendulum's Embrace' goes nowhere fast, but when the scenery is this good what's the rush?

Sullichin

I don't get all the love for 45:33. I bought if from iTunes as a fan of their first album, and it's cool, but doesn't match the quality of their first album at all. I also had no idea Sound of Silver "won over the press" -- I thought that CD sucked ass in comparison to the self-titled.

Oh and where the fuck is In Rainbows? Retail releases only I guess?

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Sullichin said:
I don't get all the love for 45:33. I bought if from iTunes as a fan of their first album, and it's cool, but doesn't match the quality of their first album at all. I also had no idea Sound of Silver "won over the press" -- I thought that CD sucked ass in comparison to the self-titled.

Oh and where the fuck is In Rainbows? Retail releases only I guess?

Yeah, wasn't 45:33 commissioned by Nike or something? Apparently you're supposed to listen to it while jogging?

I do agree with Battles & Burial being up there. Mirrored contains some really mindblowing stuff...

Mamesj

Banned
Jesus christ. You take a break from keeping up on music news for one year and all of a sudden Lightning Bolt and Konono no1 are playing with Bjork, Black Dice puts out another album (thought they were dead when they lost the drummer), and finally, Thurston, Damo Suzuki, and Belle and Sebastian collaborate with someone I've never heard of.

Kevtones

The best part about this list is that it doesn't include the usually overrated M.I.A. and Jens Lekman records. And that 45:33 gets a nod, as its absolutely fantastic.

Otherwise, its missing a whole bunch of stuff.

Eric P

17. Holy Fuck - LP (Young Turks)
Purveyors of deranged psychedelic disco punk, Canada's Holy Fuck won't be clocking up much daytime radio play with a name like that not that they'll be too concerned. Recorded whilst on tour, LP manages to capture the spirit of their amazing live shows and burns with a level of invention and passion that you'll be hard pressed to find in most other 'rock' albums released this year.

this band is really amazing. i caught them with !!!.

I'd like to have more people check out Australia's Die! Die! Die! as well

Someone who is more into music needs to take the lists from sites like this one and kind if make an "if you like (more well-known artist) try..." and list these albums. Especially this year, so many of these bands I've never even heard of. I know there's good stuff on here (and I don't want to miss an album - I found out about the Avalanches a little more than a year ago) but I don't have the time to listen to everything.

edit: just for fun, I've heard of Bjork, LCD Soundsystem, and Blonde Redhead

theBishop

Banned
njp142 said:
Someone who is more into music needs to take the lists from sites like this one and kind if make an "if you like (more well-known artist) try..." and list these albums. Especially this year, so many of these bands I've never even heard of. I know there's good stuff on here (and I don't want to miss an album - I found out about the Avalanches a little more than a year ago) but I don't have the time to listen to everything.

you might be surprised how effective Amazon.com is at this.

Solaros

8bit said:

I do shop for the albums, and then if I like them I do what any respectable musician would do. I go to my store and buy them, or if the band is coming around town I go to their show and buy merch/album from them.

Dice Man said:
Just hang out in the monthly music threads. Much richer resource than a single end-of-year list.

You know any other good forums that discuss music alot? Music of this nature, not of the more.... corporate nature.

Solaros

Dice Man said:
Other forums? Huh?

Well there is this interesting place outside of neoGAF, I am not sure if it exists or not, but it is a place where like minded music lovers post on the same forum.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Here's what I did earlier this year:

Download FireFox plugin DownThemAll; this app lets you download everything thats linked off a webpage. Install it and set the filter as *.mp3

Open up various music blogs. I like The Yellow Stereo, stereogum or just anything off HypeM's list.

Plug them all into FindThemAll, chuck them out to a new folder. You'll probably get about several hundred songs for 10 blogs.

Now put them on and find some hot new shit. After a grace period either keep them or delete them, depending on your morality.

This led me to Blonde Redhead, Feist, Spoon, Beirut, Animal Collective and loads more :D

Solaros

McBacon said:
Here's what I did earlier this year:

Download FireFox plugin DownThemAll; this app lets you download everything thats linked off a webpage. Install it and set the filter as *.mp3

Open up various music blogs. I like The Yellow Stereo, stereogum or just anything off HypeM's list.

Plug them all into FindThemAll, chuck them out to a new folder. You'll probably get about several hundred songs for 10 blogs.

Now put them on and find some hot new shit. After a grace period either keep them or delete them, depending on your morality.

This led me to Blonde Redhead, Feist, Spoon, Beirut, Animal Collective and loads more :D

So I d/l that program, use it as an add-on, and visit random sites? Then it will download all of the .mp3 extensions on that site as long as I have the filter set up that way? Any other good music blogs/forums. Thanks for the idea by the way.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Solaros said:
So I d/l that program, use it as an add-on, and visit random sites? Then it will download all of the .mp3 extensions on that site as long as I have the filter set up that way? Any other good music blogs/forums. Thanks for the idea by the way.

It's not automatic, but it will keep that filter in so you just click DownThemAll! from your tools menu.

As for music blogs, nah, I just go to something new on Hype Machine

Andy787

Banned
Solaros said:
I do steal the albums, and then if I like them I do what any respectable musician would do. I go to my store and buy them, or if the band is coming around town I go to their show and buy merch/album from them.

You know any other good forums that discuss music alot? Music of this nature, not of the more.... corporate nature.
How old are you?

Tim-E

Eric P said:
this band is really amazing. i caught them with !!!.

Their name always caught my eye, but I hadn't listened to them. I'm listening to the stuff on their Myspace and wow, this shit is pretty amazing.

fistfulofmetal said:
what the hell am I listening to?

The sound of awesome.

Eric P

Tim-E said:
Their name always caught my eye, but I hadn't listened to them. I'm listening to the stuff on their Myspace and wow, this shit is pretty amazing.

The sound of awesome.

it's nuts when you see them live. it's a drummer a bassist and then two people playing two folding tables FULL of keyboards and patch cables and microphones and they just swap out and change each other's instruments and it becomes sort of jam-band-y but absolutely amazingly fun to watch

they're on tour with superfurry animals

http://www.holyfuckmusic.com/tour.html

UPCOMING SHOWS :

02.12.08 Neumos · Seattle WA · w/ Super Furry Animals

02.11.08 Doug Fir · Portland OR · w/ Super Furry Animals

02.09.08 Great American Music Hall · San Fran CA · w/ Super Furry Animals

02.08.08 Echoplex · Los Angeles CA · w/ Super Furry Animals

02.06.08 Belly Up Tavern · Solona Beach CA · w/ Super Furry Animals

02.05.08 Club Congress · Tucson AZ · w/ Super Furry Animals

02.02.08 Emos · Austin TX · w/ Super Furry Animals

02.01.08 Granada Theatre · Dallas TX · w/ Super Furry Animals

01.31.08 The Republic · New Orleans LA · w/ Super Furry Animals

01.30.08 Variety Playhouse · Atlanta GA · w/ Super Furry Animals

01.29.08 Cats Cradle · Carrboro NC · w/ Super Furry Animals

01.27.08 9:30 Club · Washington DC · w/ Super Furry Animals

01.26.08 Starlight Ballroom · Philadelphia PA · w/ Super Furry Animals

01.25.08 Music Hall of Williamsburg · Brooklyn NY · w/ Super Furry Animals

01.23.08 Maxwells · Hoboken NJ · w/ Super Furry Animals

Tim-E

Eric P said:
it's nuts when you see them live. it's a drummer a bassist and then two people playing two folding tables FULL of keyboards and patch cables and microphones and they just swap out and change each other's instruments and it becomes sort of jam-band-y but absolutely amazingly fun to watch

they're on tour with superfurry animals

http://www.holyfuckmusic.com/tour.html

Nothing too close to where I live. :( Damn you, West Virginia.

Solaros

ElectricBlue187 said:
ooh bad idea, friend.

I download them for free and usually pay more than my due for the music if I like it. I am a musician myself and believe in supporting them. I have just given bands $20 to $50 and have not wanted any merch. It might not seem like much but for a broke college student that works 40 hours a week it is quite alot for me. At the same time though, you can't really put a price on what good music can do to you. So, like I said, I definetly pay for it if I like it.

Andy787 said:
How old are you?

disco

No Cobblestone Jazz? No Chromaphobia? I mean, Justice Cross has to be somewhere even if i cba with it anymore.

Eric P

Solaros said:
I download them for free and usually pay more than my due for the music if I like it. I am a musician myself and believe in supporting them. I have just given bands $20 to $50 and have not wanted any merch.

just so you know, piracy of any sort spoken about openly is very frowned upon at gaf, regardless of if it is very widespread amongst the community.

Solaros

Eric P said:
just so you know, piracy of any sort spoken about openly is very frowned upon at gaf, regardless of if it is very widespread amongst the community.

Is donating more money than even people who actually pay for the album also frowned upon? Like I said before, if I like I will pay for it, if not then it gets deleted. I have morals and post on neoGAF!

Eric P

Solaros said:
Is donating more money than even people who actually pay for the album also frowned upon? Like I said before, if I like I will pay for it, if not then it gets deleted. I have morals and post on neoGAF!

it doesn't really matter to the eyes of the community or the mods.

i'm just trying to keep you from being banned.

Solaros

Eric P said:
it doesn't really matter to the eyes of the community or the mods.

i'm just trying to keep you from being banned.

Well if it really comes to that I do have quite a hefty folder of all my receipts from over the years of purchasing every single album that I currently either have on my hard drive and my iPod. Although I think I would rather just be banned than having to scan all of them in etc, but I do pay for them with actual monetary dollars. Which is more than most college students do I am sure. Thanks for letting me know though. It is appreciated that most people have double standards (not singling anyone out, just saying)

Kevtones

Makes me want to bump the AOTY thread again because it seems that not everyone has voice their lists... and to insert No Age - Weird Rippers into my top 5.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
shrug

I guess I do not understand the love for nonsensical compilation of a bunch of instruments that have no cohesiveness one way or another and have people call it "music." It's like these people got ahold of a bunch of instruments and started playing randomly.

My friend says it's like "chipmunks doing rock music." I agree.

Andy787

Banned
Solaros said:
lol.

I like how this generation feels so entitled by digital distribution that they think they should be able to determine the market. :/

reilo said:
shrug

I guess I do not understand the love for nonsensical compilation of a bunch of instruments that have no cohesiveness one way or another and have people call it "music." It's like these people got ahold of a bunch of instruments and started playing randomly.

My friend says it's like "chipmunks doing rock music." I agree.

Haha. Yeah. Thank you for articulating exactly what I was thinking and tried to get across in my post earlier. I kind of liked the song Atlas, it had a nice sound to it but I got to two tracks after and had to turn it off.

I really don't get the appeal of whatever that was.

Solaros

Andy787 said:
lol.

I like how this generation feels so entitled by digital distribution that they think they should be able to determine the market. :/

And how would going to the local music store to buy the album be controlling the market? Everything anyone purchases controls the market whether or not that person is aware of it. Isn't the individual controlling the "free" market what it is all about anyway? The stairs are to the right to get off of your horse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom