• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bleep.com's 25 Top Albums of 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.
reilo said:
After you hear jackasses who haven't showered for days wearing plaid shirts and Dickie pants with unkempt hair on why old Czechoslovakian film is revolutionary because the director chose to ignore simple things such as, you know, having a coherent point to the film and instead just juxtaposes bullshit imagery of women giving birth and trains arriving at the fucking train station, you just say to yourself, what's the point to all of this?

Not to mention having to write an in-class exam about how a Picasso painting is similar to a poem by that blabbering lesbian Gertrud Stein.

After a while you just want to say, shut the fuck up and design something that looks/sounds good and has a point to it. And most important of all, have fun with it. They confuse being different with being unique and good. Make something enjoyable with some substance to it and stop trying to annoy me by referencing some old avant garde painter on why your piece of work is good.

Yellow and pink is not a revolutionary color scheme asshole!

But oh, I am all about out doing others. I don't know what the deal with your sister is, but I loathe having to follow some 'rules' given to me by someone who knows nothing about design.

Dammit I want easy listening pop music and I want it now!

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
funkmastergeneral said:
Dammit I want easy listening pop music and I want it now!

Yeah, you pegged me down to a t. I listen to nothing but pop music. Forgive me!

7Th

reilo said:
After you hear jackasses who haven't showered for days wearing plaid shirts and Dickie pants with unkempt hair on why old Czechoslovakian film is revolutionary because the director chose to ignore simple things such as, you know, having a coherent point to the film and instead just juxtaposes bullshit imagery of women giving birth and trains arriving at the fucking train station, you just say to yourself, what's the point to all of this?

Not to mention having to write an in-class exam about how a Picasso painting is similar to a poem by that blabbering lesbian Gertrud Stein.

After a while you just want to say, shut the fuck up and design something that looks/sounds good and has a point to it. And most important of all, have fun with it. They confuse being different with being unique and good. Make something enjoyable with some substance to it and stop trying to annoy me by referencing some old avant garde painter on why your piece of work is good.

Yellow and pink is not a revolutionary color scheme asshole!

But oh, I am all about out doing others. I don't know what the deal with your sister is, but I loathe having to follow some 'rules' given to me by someone who knows nothing about design.

I still fail to se how this even comes close to being a fair comparison for Battles... they're just fun and quirky yet very technically accomplished. There is no "avant-garde" symbolism to their composition; you can tell the guys are simply enjoying themselves when playing.

Mamesj

Banned
reilo said:
Yeah, I don't do that. If they ask for my honest opinion, I'll give it to them. I'm not one to put down others in order to raise myself. I let my work speak for itself.

I know I have no idea about what you do, just using your name as an example since you're an art student. which probably looked like I was trying to knock you (i'm not.)

and I respect your view---too many humorless uptight dicks in any form of academia (art school and university alike)

reilo

7Th said:
I still fail to se how this even comes close to being a fair comparison for Battles... they're just fun and quirky yet very technically accomplished. There is no "avant-garde" symbolism to their composition; you can tell the guys are simply enjoying themselves when playing.

When I listen to Battles, to me, it sounds like they try to make different music just for it to sound different. Just because you can make graphic that is pink and yellow, doesn't mean it will look good.

I don't know, in a nutshell, it just doesn't sound good to me. That is all.

WEBSTER FOR THREEEEEEEEE!

Oops, sorry, not the NBA thread.

Kevtones, ya watching?!

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Battles is icky.

Stars of the Lid is number one on that list for me. It's the only album this year(okay, another band with the word Stars) in the "indiekid" genre which I liked at all.

Are any of those albums indiepop and not at all experimental or grating? Which ones, I'd love to check them out.

7Th

reilo said:
When I listen to Battles, to me, it sounds like they try to make different music just for it to sound different. Just because you can make graphic that is pink and yellow, doesn't mean it will look good.

I don't know, in a nutshell, it just doesn't sound good to me. That is all.

I still don't see it. They don't go overboard with gimmicks and follow a clear harmony to their melody. Complaining on Otomo Yoshihide is completely fair, even when the pseudo-music connoisseurs such as my dad play the “mathematically complex” card his music still lacks a clear tune or even a rhythm and as much as I enjoy him I can’t force him on others with a realistic argument considering my lack of musical knowledge, but for Battles I just can’t understand a “unique for the sake of being unique” criticism. You’re still free to dislike them and claim so around the entire world, though. Wonders of the free speech!

QVT said:
Are any of those albums indiepop and not at all experimental or grating? Which ones, I'd love to check them out.

You should enjoy Blonde Redhead, I supose.

reilo

7Th said:
You’re still free to dislike them and claim so around the entire world, though. Wonders of the free speech!

And you are free to like them. I have no problem with that. Just providing my perspective, I guess.

Although, even if I don't like the song Atlas, I really do like that video.

Battles is overrated imo. I agree with what relio is saying partly. They have talent but they try to hard to be unique. Aspects of their songs sound forced and unneccessary. They are probably a blast to see live though...

The rest of the list is pretty bad also. Nothing on the list screams "wtf" like M.I.A. on Pitchforks Top 50... but the list itself doesn't seem to make any sense.

Luke Vibert's Chicago, Detroit, Redruth while a good album, is the worst stuff Luke has put out in the past 10 years he has been around. It is defiantly his least inventive and there are numerous other albums that deserve more praise then it.

Matthew Dear is overrated. Nothing on his album really does one thing great.. it is just average techno.

LCD Soundsystem getting a nod for 45:33 and not Silver of Sound makes no sense.

Black Dice's album is more of the same stuff they have always made, which in my opinion was always way too experimental to be really ever any good.

Perhaps the only real good picks would be Modeselektor, Blonde Redhead, and Burial. Though Burial shouldn't be that high on the list. It is a good album... but people are drinking too much kool-aid right now.

Albums that should be on the list would defiantly be Ace of Club's Benefist. This is a Luke Vibert project and it is also some of the best acid-electro I have ever heard. Really fucking amazing shit... and much better than Burial's Unrtue. Fuck I would also throw the Tuss's (aka Aphex Twin) album Rushup Edge on there somewhere. Short album yes... but oh so fucking solid.

And finally no "And Here We Go Sublime" from the Field? Wtf... That just makes zero sense to me.

QVT

7Th said:
You should enjoy Blonde Redhead, I supose.

No, that's pretty much the opposite of what I was looking for :lol In fact, Experimental was actually one of their self professed genres on myspace. Thanks though. :D

Flynn

Eric P said:
i think people who still use the term "emo" to mean young scenesters is worse.

Add people who call people "hipsters" to the list.

Though, I like to use the word "emo" to describe stuff like Final Fantasy plots. It's kinda apt.

reilo

Flynn said:

Though, I like to use the word "emo" to describe stuff like Final Fantasy plots. It's kinda apt.

Don't forget Joe Budden music.

7Th

Flynn said:

You could always resort to "teenage angst".

Flynn

7Th said:
You could always resort to "teenage angst".

But there's an extra layer, no? All the cosplay outfits and well-combed hair -- the merging of fashion sense with brooding is something unique to new emo wave.

7Th

Flynn said:
But there's an extra layer, no? All the cosplay outfits and well-combed hair -- the merging of fashion sense with brooding is something unique to new emo wave.

I was going to let my weeaboo take over and correct you over the appropriate term for Nomura's fashion sense being "visual-key", but since I want to conserve my already laughable dignity I'll just quietly agree.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Wow, I'm not sure where all the anger is coming from. Life becomes a lot easier when you see opinions as opinions rather than facts.

Sit back, relax, and enjoy the music for its intrinsic value...

QVT

7Th said:
I was going to let my weeaboo take over and correct you over the appropriate term for Nomura's fashion sense being "visual-key", but since I want to conserve my already laughable dignity I'll just quietly agree.

I was going to go ahead and suggest you call it visual kei if you wanted to sound like you knew what you were talking about.

7Th

RSTEIN said:
Wow, I'm not sure where all the anger is coming from. Life becomes a lot easier when you see opinions as opinions rather than facts.

Sit back, relax, and enjoy the music for its intrinsic value...

Sit back, relax, and enjoy the comic for its intrinsic value...

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
7Th said:

Sit back, relax, and enjoy the comic for its intrinsic value...

:lol :lol :lol

Mamesj

Banned
No, that's pretty much the opposite of what I was looking for In fact, Experimental was actually one of their self professed genres on myspace. Thanks though.

experimental is a broad term...If the the song "23" (on their myspace) is grating and too experimental for you, then I have no idea what you're looking for...kenny g? :lol

speedpop said:
Should I be scared that I have zero knowledge of these bands on the list (besides Bjork)?

BE VERY AFRAID. jk. check some of them out, you never know what you might find.

ZeoVGM

Banned
The Battles album is amazing.

Though Say Anything's double album should be on there. Though.. Not exactly shocked that it's not considering the rest of the list.

QVT

Mamesj said:
experimental is a broad term...If the the song "23" (on their myspace) is grating and too experimental for you, then I have no idea what you're looking for...kenny g? :lol

Wasn't grating was just kinda boring and blah.

I'm looking for more something like... Weezer? IDK.

QVT

Mamesj said:
ever listened to pavement? they're like a rich man's weezer.

I really really dislike Pavement. Voice is too whiny. I can't do whiny voices.

I can see how they'd be similar but Rivers sings much differently.

reilo

QVT said:

Rivers voice could make a grown man orgasm.

Fact.

Mamesj

Banned
Iamthegamer said:

well, yeah, that was implied. it was a knock against weezer ;)

wat

there are few songs where malkmus actually tries to sing...otherwise, he "talksings" like lou reed. are you sure you've heard pavement...

QVT

Mamesj said:
there are few songs where malkmus actually tries to sing...otherwise, he "talksings" like lou reed. are you sure you've heard pavement...

There are lots of people who sound "whiny" to me. Muse, NMH(although that's more of a shrieking, giraffe dying sound).

Listen to Date With Ikea. That's whiny to me.

Zilch

Banned
Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain is pretty Weezer-ish. Listen to Cut Your Hair and tell me Rivers couldn't have written it. Brighten the Corners is really straightforward guitar pop too (but that one has Date With Ikea on it).

Mamesj

Banned
QVT said:
There are lots of people who sound "whiny" to me. Muse, NMH(although that's more of a shrieking, giraffe dying sound).

Listen to Date With Ikea. That's whiny to me.

:lol I stand corrected. yeah, Spiral Stairs (the guy who sings Ikea) songs don't count. I always skip his songs... (sorry to any spiral fans...)

QVT said:
That'll teach me!

haha, I have all their stuff, which album should I look at?

always a tough question...they have some phases.

Slanted and Enchanted is classic. basically wouldn't be weezer without this album, though I don't know if that means you'll like it. Check out the song Summer Babe at least. then Crooked Rain, Brighten the Corners, and Terror Twilight are more straightforward indie pop rock. Wowee Zowee has good tracks, but a lot of weird tracks interspersed...there's a great album underneath some stuff that should've been cut. Westing is probably too experimental.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
RSTEIN said:
14. Murcof - Cosmos (Leaf)

I hope some of you will check this one out. It's so wonderful, as is his previous release.

The Alva Noto and Oren Ambarchi albums are really nice, too, but I wouldn't go around recommending those to everyone. There's a pretty specific group of people that will listen to this sort of music and not come away very confused or angry.

Zilch

Banned
People should listen to the new British Sea Power album. It's the only rock music I listen to nowadays that makes me want to pump my fist.

edit: why don't we have music discussion threads here? all we've got are 'what are you listening to?' threads were people just post images and measure their dicks. talking about music is so much more interesting to me.

reilo

Zilch said:
People should listen to the new British Sea Power album. It's the only rock music I listen to nowadays that makes me want to pump my fist.

edit: why don't we have music discussion threads here? all we've got are 'what are you listening to?' threads were people just post images and measure their dicks. talking about music is so much more interesting to me.

We do, but it just turns into needless sploodging over Neutral Milk Hotel. It's gag-worthy.

Zilch

Banned
I motion that "Neutral Milk Hotel" be put on the censor list, and instead of changing to asterisks it should change to a hilarious, offensive term.

QVT

Mamesj said:
always a tough question...they have some phases.

Slanted and Enchanted is classic. basically wouldn't be weezer without this album, though I don't know if that means you'll like it. Check out the song Summer Babe at least. then Crooked Rain, Brighten the Corners, and Terror Twilight are more straightforward indie pop rock. Wowee Zowee has good tracks, but a lot of weird tracks interspersed...there's a great album underneath some stuff that should've been cut. Westing is probably too experimental.

Summer Babe is pretty good. I dunno if it's my type of music but it's not bad at all. Unlike that Staircase character.

Mamesj

Banned
Zilch said:

first topic-- this lightning bolt video:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=x4SBemeqAp4

:lol

QVT said:
Summer Babe is pretty good. I dunno if it's my type of music but it's not bad at all. Unlike that Staircase character.

he adds a lot musically, but yeah, his songs are always kinda random and cheesy. except Two States.

Iamthegamer said:
You can't diss "Grounded". Just can't.

And Wowee Zowee is the shit, back away with those criticisms, man.

yep, grounded is an awesome song. some of my favorite songs of theirs are on Wowee Zowee-- We Dance, Father to a Sister Thought, Rattled, Grounded, brinx job, fight this generation. but even malkmus said he was stoned off his ass the whole time it was in production. it shows :lol

Vyer

I'm not going to insult other folks' music, because I understand that people have different tastes.

In an effort to expand my experiences, I've pulled some different tracks from suggestions in this thread and that 'best albums of 2007' thread. I mean a lot of you guys top tens. I tried to sample a lot of that to see what I might like so I could look into more from the artist.

Man, I just can't get into it. Just about any of it.

From that other thread I gather much of it falls under three different categories; indie, electronic or metal. I guess these genres are just not for me. Some metal I could pick up but the rest...it's just not very enjoyable to listen to (for me.)

I wish there were music threads that mixed it up here a bit more, so I could check out a little wider range of suggestions.

Kevtones

Runner's Four is the best Deerhoof record. I think Friend Opportunity, while good, was not as good, and felt much, much shorter in comparison.

Oddly enough, I saw them right after the album came out and they played more stuff off of Runner's Four then Friend Opportunity.

reilo

Vyer said:
I'm not going to insult other folks' music, because I understand that people have different tastes.

In an effort to expand my experiences, I've pulled some different tracks from suggestions in this thread and that 'best albums of 2007' thread. I mean a lot of you guys top tens. I tried to sample a lot of that to see what I might like so I could look into more from the artist.

Man, I just can't get into it. Just about any of it.

From that other thread I gather much of it falls under three different categories; indie, electronic or metal. I guess these genres are just not for me. Some metal I could pick up but the rest...it's just not very enjoyable to listen to (for me.)

I wish there were music threads that mixed it up here a bit more, so I could check out a little wider range of suggestions.

If you like pure, electric guitar wankery, give Coheed and Cambria - No World For Tomorrow a listen. Massive guitar solos out the ass, epic feel to the songs like it was performed by an orchestra in some songs. Progressive rock stuff - just complete music instruments composition. That's my personal album of the year.

QVT

Vyer said:

You wouldn't get them. Just indie and electro. White Man starts classical threads every week or so these days, but he listens mostly to extremely avant garde stuff.

What do you listen to if not metal indie or electronic?

Mamesj

Banned
Vyer said:

what do you want to hear? start a thread for it. I'm trying to help people with suggestions here, feel free to throw out a random genre. or better yet, random adjectives.

Kevtones said:
Runner's Four is the best Deerhoof record. I think Friend Opportunity, while good, was not as good, and felt much, much shorter in comparison.

Oddly enough, I saw them right after the album came out and they played more stuff off of Runner's Four then Friend Opportunity.

It was definitely short. then again, Runner's Four was the exception...most of their discs are about a half hour. I like the way Friend Opportunity was produced. It threw me off guard that they went for such full production and had such a full sound, despite being one guitarist short. makes me wonder what they'll do next.

Zilch

Banned
Vyer: That's pretty unfair. Both 'indie' and 'electronic' cover a huge fucking expanse of musical styles and sounds.

QVT

Zilch said:
Vyer: That's pretty unfair. Both 'indie' and 'electronic' cover a huge fucking expanse of musical styles and sounds.

So does metal! Wider than electronic, I'd say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom