• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard shifts developers away from Heroes of the Storm, Cancelling Events for the Game in 2019

It’s kinda sad because this is my go to game to play with friends. After dota I needed something more casual that didn’t feel like ‘work’ and where the community wasn’t so toxic and now they’re telling me that.. yeah I don’t know what’s going to happen with the game..
It's kinda poignant as DotA itself (which created the MOBA genre) was originally based on a Warcraft map mod iirc. HotS is pretty fun and I've enjoyed my time with it. It's a shame that the metric for what constitutes a "success" to a company is so huge that it can kill even a good game that's pulling its weight.

Well one of the problems from a money standpoint that was brought up on reddit was that the deals for skins weren't nearly as good in 2.0 as they were before. I would shell out money for a 50% off skin for $5 often if I really wanted it.

I ended up buying the 2015 xmas skin bundle and 2017 lunar new year bundle because they were good deals for the skins it provided.

However future bundles post 2.0 didn't provide everything like they did before and while gems are given out every 25 levels and you can buy tints with shards, the dollar per skin value was just nowhere near as good.

edit: For instance I just logged onto Hots. While the new xmas 2018 bundle is up for sale. I cannot buy any of the previous years skins that are xmas themed for straight up money. For a limited timed event I have to either spend shards or hope to open it in a loot box. I cannot buy it straight up for cash. Where before during the 2016 season I could buy all the 2015 xmas skins in a bundle discounted.

As of right now I can't buy the 2015,2016, or 2017 xmas skins for money. It makes zero fucking sense.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
As an avid Dota 2 fan I enjoyed my little side excursions into it with some friends. Lots of fun systems at play and the different maps were conceptually great. The highs weren't that great, but the lows weren't that bad as well. Sucks to hear about people who put work into it only to have the rug pulled out from underneath them.

I wonder if this betrayal to the community make eSports players and sponsors think twice about moving to support a game by companies who don't have contractual commitments and infrastructure going forward.

Top Bottom