• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard: World of Warcraft up to 7.4 million subscribers this quarter

StayDead

No doubt there's way too much nostalgia. Hey guys, let's stack fire and nature resist for a few fights. Wasn't that long ago we were stacking shadow resist gear too.

Grabbing specific gear for specific encounters was really cool. I remember mage tanking in Gruul and gaining the Stamina gear made me feel awesome.

Westlo

Dammit Blizzard I have other games to play, I need to play Bayonetta 2 and Smash. I also have friends and work. I will not return to wow this time!

Goes and buys WOD

Play Bayonetta 2 during the 2 hour log in queues once WOD hits.
patrice.png

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I was gifted a free month by blizz so I wonder if I'm counted in those statistics?

I can't stand this game anymore, 30 free days and I only managed to play 40 minutes last week.

Not because I had no time, but because the game is SO FUCKING BORING.

How many Subscribers does a MMORP need to be considered succesfull? or atleast to make money?

Final Fantasy A Realm Reborn e.g crossed 2 Mio subscribers in April

Grabbing specific gear for specific encounters was really cool. I remember mage tanking in Gruul and gaining the Stamina gear made me feel awesome.

It could be cool if it was implemented better than "Now go do this instance 15 levels below your level and hope the right item drops because that's fun"

danm999

You may notice that there aren't many Vanilla paladins who have great fondness for the game as it was then.

Ding ding ding.

Ask any Vanilla Paladin what they did during raids, and get ready to hear about the horrors of the five minute Blessing cycle they'd need to apply to 40 people.

Been playing on and off since later 2006. Still a great game, I'm aware that I have probably spent over £300+ in subscriptions and expansions but I still enjoy it.

Also, Vanilla sucked.

Moff

I think vanilla was fine, the game has also greatly improved over the course of vanilla. AQ40 and naxxramas were simply great encounter-, design- and gameplay wise. and at least my class, the mage, evolved a lot an was super fun in those raids, rolling ignites anyone? amazing.

I am aware that especially Burning crusade improved WOW a lot in general, but to me at least, there is still the community aspect, and although I completely agree that this is completely subjective to me and my server, I like to think that same server battlegrounds helped a ton to form a great community. that was just destroyed after vanilla. all the people I know in that game, both horde and alliance, I know from vanilla PVP, and boy those were glorious times. best thing I ever did in any game.

I've played every expansion on launch day mate, not true at all, queues from the millions....AND MILLIONS of people wanting to play is the main issue launch day, plus some bugs.

FAKE EDIT - that was a fast edit.

slideshow_1002130658_wrestlemania.0403i.JPG

But seriously. Will check out the patch when I get home and have already bought the expansion so hope it's good. Just need to get levelling. Good to see the game is still doing well, I think it still deserves it.

Raiding in WoW reached its pinnacle in Ulduar, that raid was just so wonderfully done with the organic integration of hard modes and variety of encounter design. Beating Algalon without anyone dying was so satisfying. I don't think we'll ever get a raid that rivals it.

Ansatz

I think people's opinion of Vanilla WoW is *heavily* coloured by what class/spec they wished to play at the time. If you happened to be one which was ideal for endgame, you may well have had a fantastic time. If not...

You may notice that there aren't many Vanilla paladins who have great fondness for the game as it was then. And I don't think pallies are in any way the only class treated that way.

I loved my Paladin in vanilla!! In raids I liked following DPSers around throwing heals/cleanse at them, plus all 3 tier sets were sexy. I always had the most healing done, often with the least overhealing done. That was my way of measuring success, heh. In the later expansions i found that you can't realistically anticipate damage, but have to just spam the heal button at all times otherwise they'd get nuked before there's time to react. At any rate I consider it alot worse now.

In BGs it was even more fun as I harassed opponents with stuns, trolling them by grabbing their attention, let them waste time on me and then bubble / BoP / BoF out of the way. That bought precious time for the others to grab a graveyard / the flag.

lazygecko

I think people's opinion of Vanilla WoW is *heavily* coloured by what class/spec they wished to play at the time. If you happened to be one which was ideal for endgame, you may well have had a fantastic time. If not...

You may notice that there aren't many Vanilla paladins who have great fondness for the game as it was then. And I don't think pallies are in any way the only class treated that way.

WoW doesn't revolve around raiding for everyone.

zeromcd73

The king marches on.

I might resubscribe for the new expansion. Despite my heavy addiction with it for years a long time ago and giving up, I just can't ever seem to say goodbye for good.

Damn you World of Warcraft
I loved you :(

UnrealEck

i found that you can't realistically anticipate damage, but have to just spam the heal button at all times otherwise they'd get nuked before there's time to react. At any rate I consider it alot worse now.

Bosses have specific abilities you need to learn as a healer, a tank or a DPS regardless. If you're playing at the heroic level, you're going to benefit your guild greatly if you know how to heal based on the situation and concerve mana.
I really don't see how this got worse.

Bosses are way better now than they were in vanilla. Class abilities and talents are also more thoughtout and aren't as static.

fwpx

Playing the pre expansion content yesterday REALLY turned me off. I am now regretting my expansion purchase. It feels like none of it had any heart.

forms

I didn't even reach max level in Pandaria. I just felt really disconnected from the whole experience, moving on to other games. Having hopes for the upcoming expansion though, as it looks nice.

I do miss the times when less help was available however.

Wow, I never expected Wow to actually gain in subscribers.

No wonder they canceled Titan.
I guess titan was kinda more social media oriented than WoW, but now that social media isnt something fresh and exiting anymore it had no chance to survive.

I think its great that they still have so much effort in improving wow and I still enjoy playing wow, but i really hope there will be another MMO from Blizzard in the future - They are the only ones who can make an MMO as good as WoW (I lost interesent in every other MMO i tried like SWTOR after a really short time)

mrlion

Sub spikes are really not newsworthy everyone knows that there will be a sub spike when:

A) There's a new patch
B) There's a new expansion

After people absorbed everything from the two above they go back to their normal lives.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Still nowhere near that 11m peak they used to have.

We'll see how things go once Warlords of Draenor releases.

I don't know why I'm commenting on this game, I only played it for like 1 hour

so what its a pay to play game 7million 10 year later is amazing, and amazing run.

Subs go up right before expansion, this is nothing new. Be interesting to see how the expansion performs with how low Pandas sold compared to previous expansions.

Goldenhen

Sub spikes are really not newsworthy everyone knows that there will be a sub spike when:

A) There's a new patch

After people absorbed everything from the two above they go back to their normal lives.

And flopped MMOs such as Wildstar and ESO etc.

Ding ding ding.

Ask any Vanilla Paladin what they did during raids, and get ready to hear about the horrors of the five minute Blessing cycle they'd need to apply to 40 people.

As a druid main from vanilla, we had it worse than them. We were worse healers, worse DPS, and we weren't even considered tanks. In PvP the joke was that Druids were the most 'feared' class since even hunters could cast 'scare animal' on us. And don't even get me started on our stats... Every piece of gear we owned had strength, intellect, and spirit and weapons were nothing more than stat sticks (and our moves didn't even scale with gear!)

End game Druids existed for casting Innervate on the real healers during raid fights and nothing else. Between the 3 minute cool down on it, we were allowed to toss sub-par heals and have our HoTs denied because "A stronger version of that effect is already on that target".

Linkark07

Banned
Didn't know MoP was already on the WoW battlechest.

Man, I really want to buy the game again and play for a while. Have never made an Alliance character.

I was gifted a free month by blizz so I wonder if I'm counted in those statistics?

This is interesting this was not brought up before now. I would not be surprised if this is the cause of the spike. The description nowhere mentions sub numbers - it mentions recent amount of players. Could very easily be counting the multitude of people that went back for the free month that almost anyone with a Blizzard game got an email from.

I played last night for the first time in a while. Enjoyed it, will be playing WoD. Not a huge fan of the new models, though. The male NE run animation is so goofy I'm stunned it made it into the live game.

mclem

WoW doesn't revolve around raiding for everyone.

Vanilla mostly did, at least for people with PvE tastes.

A) There's a new patch

But unless everyone resubbed at the last minute, this is a spike *before* either A or B have occurred.

lol I remember Wildstar aficionados assuring me to their very end of their lives that it was going to be THE MMO.

I remember those same players claiming it will totally blow ever game ever. That catering to the hardcore or the extreme minority was a great idea. How 40 man raids was the thing.

Wildstar was suppose to defile years of WOW clone failures and why 40 man instance raids did not exist.

Chavelo

I want to sit down and have a nice little cup of coffee with the animators and manager responsible for the new night elf animations. You know, just go over things like what was their thought process and such. Then I would calmly leave, wish them a good day, and leave them 30 dollars so they can go ahead and take that to their cashier, add credit into my Battle.net account, and then automatically change the faction of my main toon so I can be an Orc or undead instead cause goddamn did they fuck night elfs up. :(

TheContact

Can't wait to go home and try this. Is molten core and the new bg out yet? I'm in the beta but barely did the first zone because I want it to be fresh when the expansion comes out

I remember those same players claiming it will totally blow ever game ever. That catering to the hardcore or the extreme minority was a great idea. How 40 man raids was the thing.

Wildstar was suppose to defile years of WOW clone failures and why 40 man instance raids did not exist.

Just another game in the pile of "WoW killers"... has any game or series ever wracked up as many 'killers'?

I think the fact that theyare increasing the size of the WoW team and cancelled "Titan" is leading to some old people coming back too.

For I while I was just going to wait for their next MMO but it seems like they are recommitting to WoW with no plans to make another one in the near future.

Plus I haven't really played since cata launched and wanted to see what was up. With them throwing in panderia for most old players and the chopper mount promo, etc. it seemed like as good a time as any.

With Blizzcon less than a month away and them officially canceling the MMO they never really announced to begin with, I'm really expecting them to announce something new big this year in regards to WoW (especially since Blizzcon is AFTER WoD launches).

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
It might be tough to start fresh now without the ton of newbies also leveling around you, as for as finding groups and all that.

You still see plenty of people in low lvl zones thanks to all the cross servers stuff going on. As for finding groups... just use the Dungeon Finder and in 5-10 mins, you're in a dungeon with 4 other people.

I wonder if Blizzard will ever bring smaller time slots to the US. I'd like to play WoD for a little bit since I was a player for eight years, but I really don't want to have a whole month tempt me to fall back in. I've been clean a whole year now and I can't fall victim to addiction again!

Would be even cooler if you could buy hours and they only counted when you're online. I know overseas Internet cafes are huge but there must be a reason why that system isn't here either. Or I just never seen it.

ampere

Raiding in WoW reached its pinnacle in Ulduar, that raid was just so wonderfully done with the organic integration of hard modes and variety of encounter design. Beating Algalon without anyone dying was so satisfying. I don't think we'll ever get a raid that rivals it.

Throne of Thunder was pretty amazing.

Actually almost all of the raid bosses in Mists of Pandaria have been great. But fuck fuck fuck Lei Shi, terrible boss. Ugh

With Blizzcon less than a month away and them officially canceling the MMO they never really announced to begin with, I'm really expecting them to announce something new big this year in regards to WoW (especially since Blizzcon is AFTER WoD launches).

Blizzcon is the week before WoD. Blizzcon: Nov 7/8, WoD: Nov 13

They might talk about patch 6.1 but that's probably it in terms of future content.

TheContact

Pandaland made me quit after playing since beta. Badass orc warlord expansion though? Yea I resubbed for that.

Pandaria was a stupid concept. This feels more like Warcraft and more nostalgic. Not sure what they were thinking with Pandadia. I just think they always wanted to add pandas to their game. I remember they wanted to do that a loonng time ago but something about China stopped them

Blizzcon is the week before WoD. Blizzcon: Nov 7/8, WoD: Nov 13

They might talk about patch 6.1 but that's probably it in terms of future content.

For some reason I was thinking those two dates were reversed. I still think with it that close to release we'll see a lot less about what's going to be there day one and what's going to be in the future of the series. I don't think titan was cancelled the day they announced it was cancelled, there was likely a winding down for a long period over the last year, and I expect we'll hear of what their plans are for all those developers.

Freeing up one of their five teams from Titan will mean big things... especially since it wasn't their smallest team.

Top Bottom