• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BLM supporter breaks into cop's house after an FB argument; gets shot dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
The most shocking thing is that it was a cop -the kind of people we should expect to have training on dealing with people in crisis.

Whether it's a mentally ill man braking into a house, a concealed carrier attempting to identify himself, or a shooter barricaded in a garage, the answer always seems to be "I feared for my safety -that dude had to go." There doesn't seem to be any willingness to not just kill people as the most convenient solution to a problem.

Do you know how they're trained to deal with these situations? It looks like he did exactly what's called for in training. If a person doesn't comply they get shot center mass. If this case went to court in any part of the United States nobody would find him guilty.

The off-duty officer was also inside, and gave a series of verbal commands to Mr. Gebhard, which he ignored, the police said.

“Fearing for his life and the lives of the others in the home, the off-duty officer shot the suspect,” the police said. The newspaper quoted the police as saying that the officer said “get down, get down, get down” before firing.

BokehKing

Banned
That is reasonable, sounds like he made efforts not to shoot the guy. In that situation I think it's acceptable, though I often wonder why more people don't shoot to incapacitate instead of to kill.
Because center mass is an easier target than Hollywood style kneecap shots.

If you miss, what if he closes the distance? Better to be safe than sorry.

MartyStu

Does not get much cleaner than this.

What a dumbass. Actions like this severely the cause.

Because center mass is an easier target than Hollywood style kneecap shots.

If you miss, what if he closes the distance? Better to be safe than sorry.

Yup. If you are shooting a gun, you are shooting to kill.

This guy had bipolar disorder but that's most likely going to be ignored because painting BLM in a negative light is more important. Nevermind the fact it says the guy threatened other members of BLM as well.
The guy was mentally ill.
Anyone who forcefully enters a private property with intent to confront, intimidate or harm gets whatever they deserve
Give this fucking guy a posthumous Darwin Award for going to a cops place to pick a fight.
What a fucking idiot. Stupidity like that ruins it for the rest of us.
Wth? That was just stupid how do u make things better by breaking into someone's home?
Does not get much cleaner than this.

What a dumbass. Actions like this severely the cause.

This isn't to say it was incorrect to shoot him, but that it adds to the tragedy. He didn't do this because he was stupid or angry, he did this because he didn't have the mental clarity not to. Also, we shouldn't use "bipolar" as a catch-all "he's crazy and dangerous!" label.

Pepboy

It's not that easy to even hit a moving target at close range. It almost sounds like he shot through the door they were barricaded behind but the story isn't clear.

I think the story was pretty clear. I think it's pretty clear it states he entered the house and did not respond to requests to leave.

article said:
He then went to the backyard, picked up a large, concrete planter and threw it through a rear door, shattering it, the statement said. He went inside, where the officer’s wife, mother-in-law and two children had barricaded themselves in a room.

Of course, it's a separate issue of whether we believe the article. In theory, maybe he was shot outside and dragged in by the shooter. But given the planter through the window and the bipolar, I could see the simple story of him breaking in and being shot as true.

Ruins what?

He ran BLM. These fucks brought the war to us. Jesus, Pope, count the dead...dozens, hypothetically. What's next? Hundreds? BLM have the power to wipe out the entire human race, and if we believe there's even a one percent chance that they are our enemy we have to take it as an absolute certainty... and we have to destroy them.

rokkerkory

He ran BLM. These fucks brought the war to us. Jesus, Pope, count the dead...dozens, hypothetically. What's next? Hundreds? BLM have the power to wipe out the entire human race, and if we believe there's even a one percent chance that they are our enemy we have to take it as an absolute certainty... and we have to destroy them.

What?

This isn't to say it was incorrect to shoot him, but that it adds to the tragedy. He didn't do this because he was stupid or angry, he did this because he didn't have the mental clarity not to. Also, we shouldn't use "bipolar" as a catch-all "he's crazy and dangerous!" label.

It's not a catch-all to get off scot-free either mate. Grey area something something.

It certainly is tragic for everyone involved though.

NimbusD

Guns, mental disorders, and police are always a deadly mix. Rip

It's a shame life and the problems in this nation are way too complex for media (social or traditional) to converse about properly. This will get lumped with "BLM vs cops" and not mental issues.

MJPIA

More details coming out, some contradicting and some confirmations.
http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_91cd9239-6f0f-5ece-8d66-c2ced7841fc4.html
The officer shot Tyler Gebhard, 20, of the Affton area, twice after Gebhard threw a concrete planter through the windows in the back door and entered the home, police said. Gebhard was acquainted with the officer, whose wife hid in a back room with two young children and the officer’s mother-in-law during the home invasion, police said.

Gebhard was 10 to 15 feet into the home when the off-duty officer shot him twice in the chest, police said. Gebhard died shortly after the shooting at St. Anthony’s Medical Center.
St. Louis County police Officer Benjamin Granda said the department has found no evidence that Gebhard and the officer spoke directly online, and said the two aren’t friends on Facebook.

However, both were involved in a church group on Facebook where Gebhard allegedly posted “anti-law enforcement and anti-white” threats, Granda said. He wouldn’t discuss or share specific posts, but he said that there was no direct connection to the Black Lives Matter movement.

“(The Facebook posts are) erratic, sporadic, and some are very threatening and menacing,” Granda said. “They’re all over the place. It puts on display the type of mental and/or emotional crisis he was going through.”

Granda said the investigation is ongoing, and he isn’t sure if there were direct posts or conversations between the off-duty officer’s family members.
Gebhard’s family confirmed with police that he suffered from bipolar disorder and schizophrenia and that he had a history of not taking his medications, according to police.
“From conversations with the family through ongoing investigation, this is all abnormal behavior for Tyler,” Granda said.
Initially, police Chief Jon Belmar said Gebhard threw a 50-pound concrete planter through the back door. Granda said Monday that the planter actually weighed in at 112 pounds.
While there can be various debate about deadly force, standing ones ground and whatnot for other cases but if someone who is obviously not in a sane set of mind, is shouting and throws a 100 pound piece of concrete through your back door and comes in while your family is hiding inside the house deadly force, hell any force to protect them is absolutely justified in this case.
We can mourn the man who died and regret what happened but there wasn't much else the officer could do at that point.

chefboy

Neo Member
That is reasonable, sounds like he made efforts not to shoot the guy. In that situation I think it's acceptable, though I often wonder why more people don't shoot to incapacitate instead of to kill.

First rule of gun handling; if the situation has escalated to where a gun is drawn is drawn, you are shooting to incapacitate, usually at the center of mass. For the one being hit by the weapon, this usually means death. Shooting at arms, legs or anything else is Hollywood bullshit. I don't mean to offend, but I wish people would get this idea that a gun can be used non-lethally bullshit out of their heads. If a gun drawn, that means the aggressor is meant to be stopped, period. Lethality is to be sorted out afterwards.

Cartman86

Banned
Beliefs and actions are important though it seems quite often that people only agree with that when it fits their political narrative. The man's mental health matters, his black lives matter support matters, everything matters. The specifics of what was going through this mans head may never be known. Throwing mental health under the bus isn't necessarily fair and just stigmas them more. The ultimate question that I think is much more important and doesn't rely on our perfect knowledge of the unknowable is if the political group seems genuine in condemnation of such actions or considers them a part of their "charter". I think it's pretty clear that BLM is not a hate group and the actions of lone people cannot be traced back to the movement. Come back when there is an explosion of BLM supports deescalating situations through murder and we can talk. The same cannot be said for some pretty mainstream right wing ideologies (Evangelical, factions of Islam, whatever the fuck Trump is etc.)

Two Words

Honest question, is there a person who is "crazy and dangerous" who doesn't fall under some sort of mental illness? I mean, is it wrong to define somebody as crazy if they have a severe mental illness? Is it purely to be sensitive and mindful about hurting the feelings of those with mental illnesses? I guess the crux of my question is, if the term "crazy" isn't intended for people with severe mental illnesses, then who is it intended for?

Breads

Banned
It's almost impossible to reason with people going through a manic episode. Police usually do the trick though. Not sure why this person had to die.

That's all I have to say until more details surface.

Rich!

Bipolar people?

I'm bipolar, and I know it would be a fucking stupid idea to break into someone's house in a country where you can defend your home with force, especially if you knew the owner was a cop.

And bi-polar does not automatically mean mentally ill to the extent some people in this thread are painting it as. That's fucking insulting.

nilbog21

Banned
Welp, finally a story that justifies gun ownership. Been a while since I seen one of these.

Great job hurting your cause though..

Sad situation all around.

No, the gun was one of the main problems here. Like it always is.

Sorry but you're wrong on this one. That man had every right to protect himself and his family with a gun from a violent intruder. Mental illness or not that's irrelevant when someone is busting in with a clear intent to do harm.

BokehKing

Banned
It's almost impossible to reason with people going through a manic episode. Police usually do the trick though. Not sure why this person had to die.

Not sure? He broke into someone's house, by lifting a 100lb item. Dudes family was inside and children, maybe he should have tazed him right? Mace? Maybe have a go at some good old fashion fisticuffs? What would you have done different? You have about 6 seconds to decide because someone just angrily broke into your home.

Sad situation all around.

Sorry but you're wrong on this one. That man had every right to protect himself and his family with a gun from a violent intruder. Mental illness or not that's irrelevant when someone is busting in with a clear intent to do harm.

The conflict that gave birth to this situation: created in part by guns and certainly made worse by guns. I'm sure a person is really glad to have a gun in Afghanistan too.

johnny956

So if this officer didn't have a gun how would have it played out? The guy already managed to throw a 100lbs planter through a window and was already 10 feet into the house. He wasn't stopping and cop's family is in a bedroom hiding.

I feel for the victim as he clearly had some sort of episode that caused it as no one with a clear mind would do what he did but this cop had every right to do what he did

Breads

Banned
Not sure? He broke into someone's house, by lifting a 100lb item. Dudes family was inside and children, maybe he should have tazed him right? Mace? Maybe have a go at some good old fashion fisticuffs? What would you have done different? You have about 6 seconds to decide because someone just angrily broke into your home.

What I would have done differently would be based on actually being there and not assumptions based off of second hand information on the internet.

ie

Since you asked though I have dealt with dangerous situations with people going through manic episodes. It runs in the family (roughly 20% of one side). Never killed anyone though.

i hate guns as much as anybody, but no. the dude went to someones house and broke in. the end result is sad, but the only person who got hurt was the only person to blame. the real tragedy would have been if someone innocent died.

.shin

Banned

What in the fuck are you talking about?

The conflict that gave birth to this situation: created in part by guns and certainly made worse by guns. I'm sure a person is really glad to have a gun in Afghanistan too.

The conflict that gave birth to this tragedy was someone with mental illness getting furious over the Internet and decide to break into someone's home and hurt people. You can stop there.

I don't know about afghans but I know the family in that home was glad they had a gun at that time.

The conflict that gave birth to this tragedy was someone with mental illness getting furious over the Internet and decide to break into someone's home and hurt people. You can stop there.

I don't know about afghans but I know the family in that home was glad they had a gun at that time.

Systems thinking, who needs it.

Nicktendo86

You know, I am empathic towards the man breaking in this mans home, he had a mental illness and obviously wasn't fully in control of his actions, I am also empathetic towards the officer, whilst it is upsetting another life has been needlessly lost he was protecting his family like any person would do in such an extreme circumstance.

Guns are the real problem here and always will be, that being said, was the man breaking into his home armed? I am seeing nothing to suggest he was.

Being from the UK obviously I have a different perspective, if someone was to break into my home here I wouldn't have the option of a firearm to defend myself, the criminal would most likely not have a firearm either although there is a small possibility they would have, I do believe that guns are the main problem, without them this man would probably still be alive and the instant reaction to protect others wouldn't be to immediately resort to a gun.

Problem is, it's been engrained in US culture for so long and guns are just out there now, for everyone to get that if you made them illegal there is still a high probability a criminal would own one and still be armed which obviously puts citizens at a high level of risk, especially with criminals knowing if they were to break into someone's home they would likely be unarmed inside the house.

It's a difficult situation, either way this is an extremely sad story and something I wish wouldn't happen.

Obviously guns are a massive problem in the states but (also from the UK here) if someone so obviously out of control broke into my house with my wife and child huddled in a room and I had a gun I would absolutely use it, as I'm sure most people would. I'd use anything I had at hand to defend my family, whether the person breaking in is armed or not would not be something I would think about. They are obviously not coming in for a cup of tea and a chat.

Terrible situation though, I'd say this is a story about America's poor mental health care than anything.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children

First off, he's a cop, so even if you ban guns he'd probably still have one.

Second, this is absolutely a pro gun situation, because a lunatic busted into his house and he defended his household.

I'm bipolar, and I know it would be a fucking stupid idea to break into someone's house in a country where you can defend your home with force, especially if you knew the owner was a cop.

And bi-polar does not automatically mean mentally ill to the extent some people in this thread are painting it as. That's fucking insulting.

Thank you. Like most illnesses, there's a wide spectrum of severity within bipolar, including different classifications. Painting bipolar with such a wide brush only helps to contribute to the stigmatization of mental illness.

Maybe you should layoff the batman vs superman

it's weird, because that's exactly what the rest of your post does

Matt

Being from the UK obviously I have a different perspective, if someone was to break into my home here I wouldn't have the option of a firearm to defend myself, the criminal would most likely not have a firearm either although there is a small possibility they would have, I do believe that guns are the main problem, without them this man would probably still be alive and the instant reaction to protect others wouldn't be to immediately resort to a gun.
...Or the cop and/or his wife and children could be hurt or dead. I have no love for guns but you are making a huge leap here. It's very possible the gun in this situation prevented a larger tragedy from occurring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom