• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blockchain Gaming and Its Future

Menavanes

Banned
Hello, users forum NeoGaf
I did not create my own threads in this forum before, so don't judge me strictly.
Everyone knows perfectly well that blockchain games are gaining huge popularity among gamers lately, I'm watching them, as this, in my opinion, is a fairly hot topic. Today I would like to tell you which games are the leaders in the world market.
There are some where the whole gameplay is looking at the picture of a token you mined, and on the other hand - games with actual gameplay, for what it's worth.

Besides obvious Cryptokitties, i've assembled a list of games that took my attention:

1) Ether Kingdoms - cute red\blue dorks mine themselves, and then go to battles to die. Very good art, and gameplay is decent too.

2) Ethercraft - you could say it's a roguelike-ish kind of game? Nice pixel graphics, live market.

3) CryptoSaga - for those of you, who loved jRPG's, here's a cool one. Animations is decent, have potential.

4) CryptoSpaceX - beautiful space-themed project, they released Ep.1 i think, but i haven't looked at it much since July, so i might be wrong.

5) EtherRock - i wanted to include that one, because the idea is just funny. It reminds me of infamous potato salad kickstarter, in regards of effort, but those rocks are selling still.

6) Angel Battles - PvP oriented game, as far as i figured, very nice art, in my opinion, but the breeding part (regarding Angels) got me surprised a little bit there.

7) CryptoFights - 3D graphics aren't something to write home about, but gameplay seems interesting. PvP is my jam.

So, that's not at all everything that i laid my eyes upon, but those are prime examples i'd say, at least for me. I do, of course, enjoy interaction with another people in MMO games,

so my favorits are a little bit biased: numbers 1, 4, 6, 7. What are your opinions on future of blockchain gaming? If You have some games you've already tried, share your experience.

I'd like to add to list of things something new to look at, maybe even invest, as i strongly believe, that blockchain gaming possibilities are almost limitless.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
"Everyone knows perfectly well that blockchain games are gaining huge popularity among gamers lately"
I've never heard of a single one of these, didn't know this was a genre. What sort of benefits does the blockchain grant these games?

dispensergoinup

Gold Member
Huh, what am I missing? These are mobile/flash games tied to blockchain? And uh, not sure about the gaining popularity among gamers claim. Can you back this up?

dottme

Why would I spend a lot of CPU on a block chain?
It might be good to let us know what the blockchain is used for in those games?

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
These games do not install cryptocurrency miners on your devices, it is used in the backend for security and data parity, probably a few other things I'm not thinking of. This does not seem like an ad.

"Simply put, Blockchain games are any games that include blockchain technology in its backend or mechanics in general."

https://www.quora.com/What-is-blockchain-gaming

This article seems to be pretty good at giving a layman's explanation of what they're getting at with the term "Blockchain gaming."

From what I can tell it's about moving the ownership of data from the company to you; in essence, if you were to say play Final Fantasy 14 and get a fancy new sword, instead of it being stored in your account in THEIR systems, you would store it in your Blockchain service's (Seems Etherum is the one open to promoting this) wallet, and they would have the item marked in your profile on their services for verification.

That way in events of an attack, company trying to defraud you, etc you could come back and say "HEY THIS IS MINE, SEE, IT'S ATTACHED," and everyone around you in that system would be able to verify this, given a few variables in the environment and cyptocurrency they use.

Being able to prove ownership starts getting into the nitty gritty of how blockchains work and gets into needing to know how encryption, trust relationships, and verification work.

I don't believe the OP is aiming this as an ad, but probably expected more people to know about blockchain gaming. I would imagine people would be more knowledgeable on this if they were monkeying around with cryptocurrency.
This could be a large thing for consumer rights when it comes to the software industry, but don't feel like companies are going to hop all over handing their customer's more rights over their products.

I haven't heard anything of this, but I'll start digging around to see what murmurs are circulating; if I find anything in IT land I'll drop a post here with the source(s)

Shifty

but probably expected more people to know about blockchain gaming
To me the term 'blockchain gaming' implies something a little more tangible than "same games different backend".

It's kind of like asking "hey guys, are you all excited for MySQL gaming?!"

dispensergoinup

Gold Member
These games do not install cryptocurrency miners on your devices, it is used in the backend for security and data parity, probably a few other things I'm not thinking of. This does not seem like an ad.

"Simply put, Blockchain games are any games that include blockchain technology in its backend or mechanics in general."

This article seems to be pretty good at giving a layman's explanation of what they're getting at with the term "Blockchain gaming."

From what I can tell it's about moving the ownership of data from the company to you; in essence, if you were to say play Final Fantasy 14 and get a fancy new sword, instead of it being stored in your account in THEIR systems, you would store it in your Blockchain service's (Seems Etherum is the one open to promoting this) wallet, and they would have the item marked in your profile on their services for verification.

That way in events of an attack, company trying to defraud you, etc you could come back and say "HEY THIS IS MINE, SEE, IT'S ATTACHED," and everyone around you in that system would be able to verify this, given a few variables in the environment and cyptocurrency they use.

Being able to prove ownership starts getting into the nitty gritty of how blockchains work and gets into needing to know how encryption, trust relationships, and verification work.

I don't believe the OP is aiming this as an ad, but probably expected more people to know about blockchain gaming. I would imagine people would be more knowledgeable on this if they were monkeying around with cryptocurrency.
This could be a large thing for consumer rights when it comes to the software industry, but don't feel like companies are going to hop all over handing their customer's more rights over their products.

I haven't heard anything of this, but I'll start digging around to see what murmurs are circulating; if I find anything in IT land I'll drop a post here with the source(s)

Thanks for the explanation! This helped a lot, and I agree that it seems like it'd be a legal minefield with throwing digital ownership and such especially with micro transactions and things like rare item drops. I can see the potential but is there also a possibility of this being abused? Is block chain mega secure in that digital items or whatever would be susceptible to duping?

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
To me the term 'blockchain gaming' implies something a little more tangible than "same games different backend".

It's kind of like asking "hey guys, are you all excited for MySQL gaming?!"
Most if not all online games use some flavor of SQL as a database, whether it be items, account information, character information...whatever they use it for...

Why develop proprietary database formats when you have widely used, widely supported back ends that accomplish the same goal?

Hell, games used IRC for chat services for a very long time before swapping to SQL managed chats; it's easier to extract data from SQL queries than it is running verbose logging and searching with things like grep or Notepad++, or another text editor.

I don't even want to think of the size of the raw text logs of something like WoW; so much less data and so much quicker to query SQL than it would be manually search than those ginourmous raw files.

That term may mean that to you, but it is not the reality.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Thanks for the explanation! This helped a lot, and I agree that it seems like it'd be a legal minefield with throwing digital ownership and such especially with micro transactions and things like rare item drops. I can see the potential but is there also a possibility of this being abused? Is block chain mega secure in that digital items or whatever would be susceptible to duping?
No matter what system is created, it is created by humans, and humans by definition are imperfect.

There is always a crack in the system

You will never see an impervious system; no matter if it's digital or physical.

Walls are meant to be broken, and systems are meant to be hacked.

The easiest thing someone could do is get a hold of your wallet's key through some sort of phishing. There's things like node poisoning and stuff you can do, but it's tricky and I'm not exactly here to go in depth about how to subvert different systems.

Plus I'm not a developer or a black hat hacker, so, there's that. I do other things in IT.

Marsellio23

Hmm .. I'm interested in crypto games lately, but I'm not familiar with all the games listed on the list. Be sure to review some in more detail.

Shifty

Most if not all online games use some flavor of SQL as a database, whether it be items, account information, character information...whatever they use it for...

Why develop proprietary database formats when you have widely used, widely supported back ends that accomplish the same goal?

Hell, games used IRC for chat services for a very long time before swapping to SQL managed chats; it's easier to extract data from SQL queries than it is running verbose logging and searching with things like grep or Notepad++, or another text editor.

I don't even want to think of the size of the raw text logs of something like WoW; so much less data and so much quicker to query SQL than it would be manually search than those ginourmous raw files.

That term may mean that to you, but it is not the reality.
Easy there tiger. Would you mind vacating my throat now you've jumped down it?

I never said MySQL was a bad thing, just a comparably mundane backend that doesn't make a lot of difference to the gaming experience as players see it. It could be blockchain, NoSQL, or whatever and the games themselves would remain largely the same. Ergo, "Blockchain Gaming" isn't a very tangible thing, much like "Cloud Gaming".

If anything your examples only further demonstrate that mundanity. If I started a thread called "MySQL Gaming And Its Future" the level of confused responses would probably be similar to what we see in here.

Moochi

The only value blockchain might have for gaming is better security for online accounts, digital item ownership (no duping of items in games that allow trade or auctioning in games like Diablo 3), and better hack prevention for online gaming.

These are not exactly the kind of things most gamers will be hyped about. Diablo 3 got a lot better once it ditched the real money auction house. It seems to me that blockchain will only be used to give a false value to digital items by enforcing scarcity.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Easy there tiger. Would you mind vacating my throat now you've jumped down it?

I never said MySQL was a bad thing, just a comparably mundane backend that doesn't make a lot of difference to the gaming experience as players see it. It could be blockchain, NoSQL, or whatever and the games themselves would remain largely the same. Ergo, "Blockchain Gaming" isn't a very tangible thing, much like "Cloud Gaming".

If anything your examples only further demonstrate that mundanity. If I started a thread called "MySQL Gaming And Its Future" the level of confused responses would probably be similar to what we see in here.
I was trying to be more factual than anything; sorry if I may have jumped down your throat about it.

Though, to be pedantic, you never clarified what you were saying to that degree originally; this response is MUCH more clear on what you were trying to convey. I did infer too much from what you were putting down though, so I do apologize again about that.

About tangibility, you could say that about any tech out there, especially with the increasing rate of developed technologies.

Why do machine learning if we have rudimentary AI? Why do AI when we can just work on cloning and gene programming? Why do email when we have SMS services?

Fuz

Banned

Wait.
So, it's basically an ethical, consumer-friendly version of cloud systems?
Quite interesting if so.

Last edited:

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Alright, so already finding a good bit of information on this. Here's what I'm finding so far:

This is still in its murmur phases and has only really emerged in the past 4-6 years. Although there are probably many predecessors before it, it seems as HunterCoin has been coined with being the first major hit in Blockchain Gaming. After that it's that KryptoKitties, which surprisingly sold a digital cat for $170,000 USD << I'm legit surprised I haven't heard of that at all, I keep my nose pretty far in my books so to speak, but didn't see anything about that.

1. Companies are not mining on your local device
2. Companies may be using this for authentication/verification purposes in the public blockchain space, but may set up their own private backends for different purposes (Data storage, parity, etc)
3. These are some of the popular business models:
3.1. Nothing, just a back end system using blockchain for some purpose
3.2. Letting you "own," the assets in game, using either a private wallet they provide or another source, allowing you trade within their systems
3.3. Letting you OWN the assests, to where you CAN exchange them for the actual crypto currency block chain method they're using; this model would lead me to believe that they're mining on their system (And maybe in some limited cases, your device) and essentially paying you a small dividend of what they're making

CryptoKitties seems to follow model 3, and seems to be one of, if not the most popular blockchain game.
Leave it to caturday to get people involved.... -.- /s

Ether Kingdom doesn't really have a lot on their business model, but I would say it falls into 3?... it seems like they're admitting you're playing a game and mining for them on their server, but get a stake in what is mined during your play sessions, which would be INCREDIBLY small.

CryptoSaga doesn't mention anything about their game on their page really, just "Hey this is what we are, sign up and play, WOO!"

At it's current state and usage, this just sounds like a goofy API for mining, and I'd imagine if I dig a bit further I could find bots for it. That just begs the question of "Why waste your CPU usage on that, when you could just get an ASIC miner and...make more?"

*Dig the digging while writing this post lol* Some of the games even mention having API's JUST for bots, weirdly enough, because they left the source code open and secured by blockchain. That way people can, in a ssseennssee, put a "Second Layer," on top of service and manipulate it that way. Think akin to using a proxy to bot/hack/etc on early open protocol online gaming (Which by the way, there's some INCREDIBLE stories about people doing this and how that got them their start in game dev/IT), but that the devs are encouraging and sometimes even paying people for.

Most of the companies don't seem to be housed in the western market, or at least that they're willing to admit. Seems like most are based in the Asian market (China, Korea, etc), and hell some even if I go directly to some of the coin markets don't list where they're based from.

There seems to be full on marketplaces for multiple games using the APIs that even allow you to move coins to different applications; meaning you could technically find incredibly expensive item in game A, sell it, then transfer the funds into game B

^^^ That sounds really cool, but...why not just sell it on ebay or something and get it in a currently widely accepted currency?

-=-=-=-

SUMMARY:

This seems to be following the same ideology that CryptoCurrencies have; decentralizing market places and economies, in this case that of which is in the video game itself. Some buzz terms I've seen are "A Player owned economy," or a "Truely player owned game," which to me, wouldn't make sense as a current business model. The more I read into it, the more it's business men and accountants cranking out "How can get value out of an open, decentralized economy?" which is just the theme of Crypto in the first place. I would elect to say that the term "Blockchain gaming," is more of a blanket term meaning that it's using blockchains in the backend somewhere, versus these games that base themselves on a flavor of coin and using that blockchain as its backend in some way.

Blockchain gaming seems like it will be around as more technologies are starting to combine that with our current security protocols, but this whole "Make money while gaming," "Cryptogaming," thing just seems like a concept to get people interested into cryptocurrencies and stir hype about that using blockchains.

I wouldn't be surprised to seem more of these types of games pop up for a while, but believe 100% it's a fad and a way to test out the waters in different industries to start building up data for proposing business models to investors/clients, and to maybe use those failed funds to invest in what blockchain DOES end up making a grip of money out of.

SOURCES:

https://www.coindesk.com/the-emerging-trends-in-the-blockchain-gaming-world (This article is really damn good, actually, I recommend everyone read it)
https://www.cryptokitties.co/sign-in?redirect_url=L2tpdHR5LzEyNTA2NzE=
https://imps.me/
https://coinmarketcap.com
https://cryptosaga.io/#/
http://exchange.projectwyvern.com/assets/
https://singularityhub.com/2018/12/01/how-blockchain-is-changing-computer-gaming-for-the-better/

For transparency, I did use more sources to verify the information in the above articles and websites, I just don't want to litter this post with links to other websites as to not make it seem like an ad lol

And this post further proves that! Give me some time to write up a quick and dirty analysis, jeez man! Hahahaha xP
Geany screwed up my formatting, I had to doctor it a whole bunch. Last time I do some scripting while writing an analysis I promise xD

TLDR: This looks like it's currently just business people poking the waters to see what business models can come out of blockchains and more importantly cryptocurrency. Depending on the path of both blockchains and cryptocurrency, this will either be a fad or a new issue on consumer rights.

Last edited:
My beef with blockchain is that it is like keeping accounting of all that takes place within a particular blockchain at a global level, and putting copies of the accounting on millions of machines. Keeping track of all of that seems like it will lead to unsustainable growth of the blockchain file.

Either the blockchain will eventually have to let go of more remote, older, transactions eventually, perhaps archiving them in a few locations... Or more hypothetically perhaps superdeterminism will be proven somehow, or some higher level patterns will be found, and the blockchain will be ever more compressible the bigger it gets. Even fully random sequences cannot have indefinite length without some kinds of patterns or structures emerging.

Last edited:

TwiztidElf

I'm no blockchain expert.
I do work in tech, and I've seen many middle managers who have less clue than me saying "blockchain" to make themselves look good though.
From my basic understanding, an ever increasing chain that needs proofed/verified in it's entirety makes me question future processing overheads.

I do work in tech, and I've seen many middle managers who have less clue than me saying "blockchain" to make themselves look good though.
From my basic understanding, an ever increasing chain that needs proofed/verified in it's entirety makes me question future processing overheads.
I'm not entirely familiar, but I think only new blocks need processing. I think the older blocks just need to be stored, which still will present a memory overhead.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
I'm not entirely familiar, but I think only new blocks need processing. I think the older blocks just need to be stored, which still will present a memory overhead.
The older blocks need to be stored in the sense that new blocks are coming in.

If there's no new blocks coming in, there's no changes to the blockchain and no reason to change it, thus no reason to grow.

Blockchains CAN be used just to verify data, which would not bring any changes and hence forth not cause growth, and since there's multiple trusted sources, it's more reliable. If Jimmy tells you the Moon is made of cheese, but Larry, Harry, and JimBob are saying it's made of wood, you're more likely to believe Larry, Harry, and JimBob.

The blockchain DBs are stored across multiple host nodes; these could be virtual servers, specialized SANs, what have you.
It decentralizes the DB so that 1 copy going corrupt is not an issue, and data is still verifiable, and more trusted because it's from multiple sources.

Best practices for DBs in general is that you archive older less accessed data and either place it onto a service with less resources or completely remove it from the live environment. You already will be doing things for redundancy like tape back ups, platter drives, snapshots, whatever, so that just falls into your data redundancy/ERP anyways.

The reason why bitcoin specifically is resource intensive is because the blocks grow huge; they do archive data, but it doesn't mean that your block size will change, just the blockchain size. BitCoins are typically doing large amounts of banking transactions, but could be used for say, anything, as long as the data format fits, and you would be selling your resources still, just using it to process different information, not a different type of protocol.

That does not mean all blockchain usage is resource intensive; it still depends on what it's actually DOING at that time that causes it to be heavy.

P.S. Not even SQL loads it's entire DB into memory by default, I can only think of a few use cases for that...I don't think that would be best practices. It's queried and read from disc; I HATE DB WORK, but I want to say to even get a full DB into memory is more trouble than looking at the actual root issue of your problem, and will cause further issues down the line.

https://blockgeeks.com/guides/what-is-blockchain-technology/#How_Does_Blockchain_Work

P.S. Not even SQL loads it's entire DB into memory by default, I can only think of a few use cases for that...I don't think that would be best practices. It's queried and read from disc; I HATE DB WORK, but I want to say to even get a full DB into memory is more trouble than looking at the actual root issue of your problem, and will cause further issues down the line.
The thing is, the few blockchains I've used, if you have a wallet accessing program on your machine you need to download the entire blockchain to your machine, or so it seems.

There are ways around like the ether website, that lets you access your wallet remotely without hosting the blockchain. But it seems that those that provide for access to wallet funds those providing it need complete copy of the blockchain on the same machine. AFAIK, there was no way to just download the latest 5-10GB and be good to go, you needed to put the entire chain, sometimes over 100GB, constantly growing file, on one of your drives.

Last edited:

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
The thing is, the few blockchains I've used, if you have a wallet accessing program on your machine you need to download the entire blockchain to your machine, or so it seems.

There are ways around like the ether website, that lets you access your wallet remotely without hosting the blockchain. But it seems that those that provide for access to wallet funds those providing it need complete copy of the blockchain on the same machine. AFAIK, there was no way to just download the latest 5-10GB and be good to go, you needed to put the entire chain, sometimes over 100GB, constantly growing file, on one of your drives.
Yes, because you're becoming a part of the host network; this is part of your cryptocurrency contract.

If your database keeps information on dates and what money was spent that day, once your database becomes to large, you look to cut fat. You look at the most accessed data and say "Oh hey, from this date to this date gets accessed once every 3 months not every day like every thing else, archive that and throw it on this low resource environment."

That data can be kept in blocks, in a blockchain.

Though, this is not an IT forum, and I'm not trying to be rude, but please do further research about how blockchain works and database best practices, and not so much cryptocurrency.

That data can be kept in blocks, in a blockchain.

Though, this is not an IT forum, and I'm not trying to be rude, but please do further research about how blockchain works and database best practices, and not so much cryptocurrency.
Hopefully such methods are implemented in future software revisions. But, as it stands it seems the current software of many of these need it all in the same disk drive. Perhaps they do have that capability of archiving, but I've not heard of it, what I've heard is get a bigger drive discussed, preferably solid state.

In any case, should adoption and activity grow 100-1000 fold, the growth rate of the blockchain which is several gigabytes per month for many of them, would go 100-1000 fold, and that would be recent activity.

Marsellio23

The only value blockchain might have for gaming is better security for online accounts, digital item ownership (no duping of items in games that allow trade or auctioning in games like Diablo 3), and better hack prevention for online gaming.

These are not exactly the kind of things most gamers will be hyped about. Diablo 3 got a lot better once it ditched the real money auction house. It seems to me that blockchain will only be used to give a false value to digital items by enforcing scarcity.

I disagree with you! Blockchain can be used in gameplay. It is quite real.

I disagree with you! Blockchain can be used in gameplay. It is quite real.
Blockchain could integrate stock like ICO ownership of the games themselves, not just items but clans or organizations within games or virtual locations, virtual company ownership, or even ownership of the real world companies making them, as well as alternate crypto currencies that can be worth real money.

They also are good for voting, incorruptible voting, within games.

Also blockchain currencies need not give false sense of value but real sense. Either by mining, or passively by proof of stake, the individuals can be rewarded with more currency, which if it sustains value can be traded for real world stuff and real world currency.

Also it may serve as a bridge between virtual and real economies, by making the integrity of currency inviolable, unlike traditional virtual currency which could be easily edited in and out of existence.

A company could for example do blockchain currency gold backed, if desired, or backed by any real world asset desired.

Last edited:

Marsellio23

Blockchain could integrate stock like ICO ownership of the games themselves, not just items but clans or organizations within games or virtual locations, virtual company ownership, or even ownership of the real world companies making them, as well as alternate crypto currencies that can be worth real money.

They also are good for voting, incorruptible voting, within games.

Also blockchain currencies need not give false sense of value but real sense. Either by mining, or passively by proof of stake, the individuals can be rewarded with more currency, which if it sustains value can be traded for real world stuff and real world currency.

Also it may serve as a bridge between virtual and real economies, by making the integrity of currency inviolable, unlike traditional virtual currency which could be easily edited in and out of existence.

A company could for example do blockchain currency gold backed, if desired, or backed by any real world asset desired

I think all this awaits us in the future!

Mingen

This is really similar to advertising, but, are such large companies will create fake accounts to promote 10 games at once?

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Not dead, just extremely useless.
Blockchain itself is actually incredibly popular in the security sector of IT right now.

CryptoCurrency is where it's dead; though right now it's doing that thing of steadily climbing back up before another crash. Got a few people I know who bought after the last crash with that mentality in mind.

Maybe popular in the developers living room at dining time. Other than that, unless you are talking about the blocks in Tetris I have no fucking clue what you are referring to.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Maybe popular in the developers living room at dining time. Other than that, unless you are talking about the blocks in Tetris I have no fucking clue what you are referring to.
It's IT security stuff; back end stuff you won't ever have to deal with if you're just an average consumer.

It's fairly popular in other places than the developer talk; it has a lot of practical applications. Companies are always head strong on moving into new technologies as there's ??? next to certain costs, so what's mainly going on right now is if it's going to be widely adopted as IT best practices.

Blockchain itself is actually incredibly popular in the security sector of IT right now.

CryptoCurrency is where it's dead; though right now it's doing that thing of steadily climbing back up before another crash. Got a few people I know who bought after the last crash with that mentality in mind.
No, BLOCKCHAIN technology is useless. Why on earth would you need a decentralized, censorship resistant slow af LEDGER?

Top Bottom