• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blood Alloy - GAFfer made Metroidvania inspired by Vanquish, Hotline Miami; on KS

yall worrying too much over what the people developing the game are saying inspired it. it's just small takes on mechanics. looks pretty good.

Coiote

I was ready to criticize this game for being another metroidvania dark souls inspired and just after ghost song, but the Gameplay looks ace, so I will skip the rant. I hope they get the animation fixed, because as of now is the only glaring flaw I see in the game.

I will pledge if they support my indie game platform of choice, i.e., Vita. Good luck!

mclem

I have backed 7 kickstarters over the past year or so. Guess how many actually came out... none.

Yeah I'm going to wait till this comes out.

Which ones? A reasonable proportion of those I've backed have made it to release, and those that haven't generally have understandable delays and clear signs of progress.

.la1n

Yeah sorry but the trend of kickstarter games inspired by 'insert popular franchises here' has already worn out its welcome. Art is mediocre too.

I don't get all these "metroid style" kickstarters.

Gunlord is made by a proven, established dev who shipped physical copies of their game. It won Classic Game Room GOTY for 2012. Yet their campaign to bring the game over to 3DS and Wii U is struggling, meanwhile, every tom dick and harry wants to jump into kickstarter and thinks their project is worthwhile.... it's sad really.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Inspired by:
Metroid: Rich worlds, environmental storytelling, discovering secrets, gaining new abilities and weapons
Turrican: 360-degree aiming, level design that rewards exploration
Hotline Miami: Savage gunplay, ruthlessly aggressive enemies, pounding soundtrack
Demon's Souls/ Dark Souls: Stamina-based combat mechanics, cohesive world-building,
Vanquish: Extremely mobile main character, blisteringly fast-paced combat
Abuse: Dark atmosphere, terrifying enemies, simultaneous run-and-gun gameplay with 360 degree aiming
Deus Ex: Brilliant storyline, gameplay and narrative that completely branch for the last half-hour of gameplay depending on your choices

9219040059_348cb26cc9_o.gif

DarkSiegmeyer

Neo Member
Hi there! Dev here! Thanks for all of the comments and feedback guys!

A few sentences about the Dark Souls reference: I am a HUGE Demon's and Dark Souls fan, and spent dozens of hours PvP'ing in Demon's Souls 4-1. I actually got fairly decent with a Claymore+Faith build, but that's another discussion.

Anyway, the combat in the Souls games is defined by stamina regulation - attacking, blocking, and dodging all consume stamina, and the act of holding up your shield slows your stamina regen. Thus your stamina management becomes critical, and it makes every action or inaction you take. A secondary component to this is the visual tell of every enemy about to attack you with its melee weapon. Now, when you swap out melee weapons with guns, that pre-emptive "visual tell" of an incoming attack is gone - to say nothing of the range aspect involved. That's why we compensated by upping the speed and dynamic abilities of the player character. I know Dark Souls combat is slow, methodical, and thoughtful, but we're still tweaking the gameplay to get it to feel great with guns - using Dark Soul's stamina mechanics as a starting point. Hope this clears thing up!

I'm getting sick of everything being inspired by Dark Souls

Teknoman

I have backed 7 kickstarters over the past year or so. Guess how many actually came out... none.

Yeah I'm going to wait till this comes out.

Most of the stuff kickstarted will most likely take a year and a half to 3 at most. Its not like you'll back them in January and the thing will be done in May.

DarkSiegmeyer

Neo Member
I've backed 17 Kickstarters, and of those, 6 have come out, and literally every one of the others is showering me with development logs and updates. I totally get that there's a lot of uncertainty surrounding Kickstarter, and that some projects run amuck, but look at this way - I personally am trying to make it as a game developer as a life's calling. If I try to cash in with $50k, but don't deliver a product, then that ruins my name FOREVER. I am going to work my BUTT off to make sure that does not happen.

But I look forward to earning your trust with a solid final product, and I hope that our work warrants you a purchase upon release :D

Dat paying for potential

Do people realize why all these small developers, sometimes of 2 or 3 people and sometimes a single person, do so much comparison to games you love or famous games?

Maybe because with only a concept or some brief footage they need to give you something, some pull or tantalizing information, to make an investor spend any amount of their hard-earned money on funding a dream that they will painfully work on day and night. This guy doesn't have a full studio with a famous name that will give him funding, he's not a name in the industry that'll get him 3 million dollars, he's not reviving or working with a beloved franchise that people will nostalgia about and throw money at, he's just a guy who really wants to make a game.

He needs some way to get enough of your faith in this being a game you want to play to drop money on it. I think it makes sense to give all these names as a comparison point.

Minyobi

The game looks pretty neat so far.
Judging by the video, the gameplay looks like it is going to be on point.

I'd rather "Genesis-era Treasure games" be on the list of inspirations after "Metroid" and "Turrican", but I can't do much about that.

A few sentences about the Dark Souls reference: I am a HUGE Demon's and Dark Souls fan, and spent dozens of hours PvP'ing in Demon's Souls 4-1. I actually got fairly decent with a Claymore+Faith build, but that's another discussion.

Anyway, the combat in the Souls games is defined by stamina regulation - attacking, blocking, and dodging all consume stamina, and the act of holding up your shield slows your stamina regen. Thus your stamina management becomes critical, and it makes every action or inaction you take. A secondary component to this is the visual tell of every enemy about to attack you with its melee weapon. Now, when you swap out melee weapons with guns, that pre-emptive "visual tell" of an incoming attack is gone - to say nothing of the range aspect involved. That's why we compensated by upping the speed and dynamic abilities of the player character. I know Dark Souls combat is slow, methodical, and thoughtful, but we're still tweaking the gameplay to get it to feel great with guns - using Dark Soul's stamina mechanics as a starting point. Hope this clears thing up!

It's easier to just explain the mechanics than to compare the game to "dark souls" or "metroid." The latter is annoying and we know what mechanics are and how they are implemented.

Do people realize why all these small developers, sometimes of 2 or 3 people and sometimes a single person, do so much comparison to games you love or famous games?

Maybe because with only a concept or some brief footage they need to give you something, some pull or tantalizing information, to make an investor spend any amount of their hard-earned money on funding a dream that they will painfully work on day and night. This guy doesn't have a full studio with a famous name that will give him funding, he's not a name in the industry that'll get him 3 million dollars, he's not reviving or working with a beloved franchise that people will nostalgia about and throw money at, he's just a guy who really wants to make a game.

He needs some way to get enough of your faith in this being a game you want to play to drop money on it. I think it makes sense to give all these names as a comparison point.

The Gunlord devs are also a tiny studio (2 man, brothers). They are proven devs with shipped games, and even they are having a hard time getting 40,000 euros for a game that's already highly acclaimed. Dropping names and comparing your game is really annoying when, in my estimation, people who fund projects like this are knowledgeable gamers who understand an explanation of technical gameplay design.

Gbraga

I LOVE the enemy design, but I'm not very fond of 2D mouse gameplay, will the game have controller support?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I see the Vanquish inspired stuff, what I don't see if the Vanquish level speed. It would probably have been wiser to say "inspired by Dark Void Zero" than Vanquish.

Also I hope by release the characters animations are less stiff. Make her lean into her run or hunch over or something to give her a look to go with how she moves.

Decado

Blisteringly fast stamina based combat? :\

I dunno about this. Also not a fan of this weird animation style. Thought it was charming the first few times I came across it, but now it just looks cheap.

Tellaerin

I don't get all these "metroid style" kickstarters.

Gunlord is made by a proven, established dev who shipped physical copies of their game. It won Classic Game Room GOTY for 2012. Yet their campaign to bring the game over to 3DS and Wii U is struggling, meanwhile, every tom dick and harry wants to jump into kickstarter and thinks their project is worthwhile.... it's sad really.

Would you rather that people have no confidence in their projects and just not bother?

Gunlord's made by a "proven, established dev" that made their name developing retro games for defunct hardware. They've moved physical copies of their games in part because they appeal to retro fans and collectors. And they're struggling to get an existing game ported to 3DS and WiiU, rather than developing something for the PC from scratch, where the backers get to have their feedback heard as part of the development cycle. So your comparison's really apples and oranges.

I enjoy games like this. I don't think there are enough of them. I have no problem with people trying to Kickstart these projects. Crowdfunded indie games are filling the gap now that the big companies have largely abandoned the middle tier to concentrate on throwaway f2p/cellphone stuff and monster budget triple-A titles. I consider that a good thing.

The Gunlord devs are also a tiny studio (2 man, brothers). They are proven devs with shipped games, and even they are having a hard time getting 40,000 euros for a game that's already highly acclaimed. Dropping names and comparing your game is really annoying when, in my estimation, people who fund projects like this are knowledgeable gamers who understand an explanation of technical gameplay design.

All of their games are niche that most people perusing Kickstarter for games would not have played. Saying they can't meet funding sorta supports my point.

I said it makes sense. Not that I particularly care for it or whatever, but it does make sense. This is a big risk scenario. You can't just sit on your haunches with some of this kind of stuff.

ugh at the long list of inspirations on kickstarter

INSPIRATIONS:
ASSORTMENT OF TOP TIER GAMES MY GAME PROBABLY WON'T LIVE UP TO WHICH OF COURSE FEATURES DARK SOULS

you should check out this fast paced action game that relies heavily on nuanced stamina mechanics, its called vanquish

ugh at the long list of inspirations on kickstarter

INSPIRATIONS:
ASSORTMENT OF TOP TIER GAMES MY GAME PROBABLY WON'T LIVE UP TO WHICH OF COURSE FEATURES DARK SOULS

you should check out this fast paced action game that relies heavily on nuanced stamina mechanics, its called vanquish
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, but it's on the list.

Gbraga

Also, what's up with people saying "it reminds me more of X, they should say that inspired them". Do they know what inspiration means? You can't be inspired by something you don't know. It may be similar, but doesn't mean the devs even played said game, may be just a coincidence.

I do agree that the "inspired by" thing is silly and became the kickstarter buzzword though.

I was being sarcastic. I just found it funny that he listed Vanquish for its fast combat when it is also "Manage Stamina Under High Pressure: The Game". This game looks fine for an early build but namedropping numerous high tier games as direct inspiration is bound to raise suspicions. I guess I can understand dropping one or (maybe) two as your main inspiration but listing a grab bag of them seems bad.

I was being sarcastic. I just found it funny that he listed Vanquish for its fast combat when it is also "Manage Stamina Under High Pressure: The Game". This game looks fine for an early build but namedropping numerous high tier games as direct inspiration is bound to raise suspicions. I guess I can understand dropping one or (maybe) two as your main inspiration but listing a grab bag of them seems bad.

To explain different parts of the game using a well-established game as a reference point doesn't seem so bad to me.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The main character's torso not moving at all is a bit weird. It's just incredibly rigid.

Yeah I'm not liking the look of the character animation on this. That's a big part of getting the gameplay right on a game like this, and it seems pretty stiff. You can't have fluid gameplay with a stiff character.

Coiote

I asked about the possibility of a Vita port and got this answer from them:

Suppressive Fire Games said:
I've been designing the game's control schemes from day ONE to be able to be played on Vita!

:D

So, yes, and we're currently having conversations with various.. people to that effect. ;)

Sounds good, uh? Hope they meet their goal and make the Vita port official.:)

Razlo

I happen to live near this developer, and got a chance to play an early build of the game. It plays really well and is already fun despite being in pre-alpha.

If you like the genre, you'll likely leave satisfied when this game hits. I already backed it myself.

DarkSiegmeyer

Neo Member
Hey guys -
Dev here again. Again, I agree that just name-dropping franchises - Dark Souls in particular - can be scummy. Payday 2, by all accounts a great game in its own right, name-dropped Dark Souls with regards to its character creation - and it was a really, really tenuous link. This is not like that.

See me playing the game and explaining the direct correlation between the mechanics here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXTl9k-MeXA

Also, as for the list of inspired games... I mean, yeah, that's what happens when I play a game that I like, or when I think about a game that I like. I get inspired by certain mechanics that are done well, or certain elements of the game or story that are done well, and it gives me a desire to emulate that in my own game.

For example, had I said, "Narrative choice just like Deus Ex: Human Revolution" or "Narrative choice just like Mass Effect 3," that would have provoked an immediate reaction - "What, you want to lead us down this illusion of choice and then present the player with three buttons to press?"

No. I want the final act of the game to branch into completely different sectors of the level with entirely different objectives. Like the first Deus Ex.

Just making it abundantly clear where I draw my inspirations from. I've been a game player for all of my life, and a game dev for only the last six. My entire life has been composed of "Ugh this game doesn't do this well," and "This sequel doesn't have this great feature the first game had, why??" I'm trying to from all of those lessons.

Also, there is no regenerating health in this game. Not sure where people got that idea.

Top Bottom