• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne Boss Spoiler (IGN)

IKizzLE

Souls game have always had camera problems like that. Not sure how they can fix that without resorting to "fixed" camera angles like Resident Evil games.

It's only gonna be worst now that the game is faster.
Can easily seeing reviewers handing out lower score because of it.

Rurunaki

Most of that camera problem stema from the "target locking" mechanics. It just means players would have to rely on manual targetting much more now To avoid bad camera angles against bosses.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The camera is the biggest thing i can see reviewers knocking points down over, that and "its just another souls game". It only depends on how much these two things irritate reviewers

Hypron

Most of that camera problem stema from the "target locking" mechanics. It just means players would have to rely on manual targetting much more now To avoid bad camera angles against bosses.

Yeah but that leads to other problems as well, since lock on dodges are quite different from the rolls you get when you're not locked on.

Hypron

I'm not either. If we look at the Cleric Beast, the camera seems to be a more difficult opponent than the actual boss.

Yeah, the bad camera combined with the terrible framerate in the alpha made the fight a lot harder than it should have been. Hopefully the framerate part is fixed in the final game so we'll just have to fight the camera.

The Souls camera works well against smaller enemies and big enemies that remain far away from you. As soon as you get up close to a big enemy it goes to shit.

aly

I'm not either. If we look at the Cleric Beast, the camera seems to be a more difficult opponent than the actual boss.

Final Boss: Dark Camera. I say the worse part is now that rolling and side stepping have changed and you have to deal with the camera jank when choosing to use one.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
It'll be like,

"5 years ago we tolerated Demon's Soul's eccentricities due to the novelty and newness of the game design, 2 years later we again tolerated the game quirks due to the limitations of last gen platforms and again for DKS2.

No more. With Bloodborne a 'janky mess' on next generation consoles and no real 'next generation gameplay' in sight to elevate it above its predecessors, the souls series has finally hit a major stumbling point, 6 out of 10." - IGN

2AdEPT

Yeah, that's fair enough. I would definitely be happy with a story that is a little more direct.

But I feel it's essential for these titles to maintain a sense of the unknown, which adds to the atmosphere for me. It's not like it's one or the other though... you can have both. I know these are awful comparisons, but I was happy with the story in the first Halo game and the first Matrix film. Relatively straight forward stories that worked effectively. I thought the sequels to both ruined what they had set up by explaining too much. I want some unknowns in a game like this.
Agreed! I am definitely a supporter of colours and continuums vs. black and white rigidity.
The thing i'm worried about is the camera

yeah this touched off a few responses for good reason. Although even the guy who was playing and who got caught with the camera too close to the cleric in the first 18 minutes video didnt avoid it during a show off video, the good news is that we should be able to adapt our playstyle to avoid these messy situations....it is indeed something extra one has to dodge, but it can be done and wont wreck my experience. Hopefully others adapt their playstyle accordingly. I just never lock on that close in range and avoid close encounters like that inthe first place. If I do need to get in close I make sure to be rolling, usually to his backside to get hits in there. I was surprised out of all the vids we have seen very few times the players even attempted to sneak in behind, which, especially for the trailers, is understandable as they want to show off the frontal nudity for the camera. BUt I was hoping more would do that strat in the alpha.

It'll be like,

"5 years ago we tolerated Demon's Soul's eccentricities due to the novelty and newness of the game design, 2 years later we again tolerated the game quirks due to the limitations of last gen platforms and again for DKS2.

No more. With Bloodborne a 'janky mess' on next generation consoles and no real 'next generation gameplay' in sight to elevate it above its predecessors, the souls series has finally hit a major stumbling point, 6 out of 10." - IGN

IGN Cons

- No minimap
- Objectives are not clear
- Boring colour palette
- Bad story telling
- Limited dialogue options
- High difficulty curve
- Not enough resources

Rurunaki

It'll be like,

More like "Too much boss screaming and furs washed with L'oreal shampoo.. 6 out of 10."

aly

Cons
-------

- No minimap
- Objectives are not clear
- Bad story telling
- Limited dialogue options
- High difficulty curve
- Not enough resources

I don't remember those being consider problems in Dark Souls 1&2 reviews. Highly doubt they would now,especially since just about every outlet seems to have someone who is a fan of the games and potential reviewer.

Nah. I think Bloodborne will receive overall positive reviews.

As for camera I think I'll do what I usually do: lock on when hitting smaller enemies and manually aim on large enemies.

The fact that you can only use the new dash when locked on may lead to a lot of R3 spam. Maybe lock on will be good when far away from large enemies (and players) so you can quickly avoid lunges and ranged attacks, and quickly dash towards them where you can unlock the camera and more carefully aim your attacks.

I don't remember those being consider problems in Dark Souls 1&2 reviews. Highly doubt they would now,especially since just about every outlet seems to have someone who is a fan of the games and potential reviewer.

I was pulling that out of my ass of course, but I am curious as to what the original Demon's Soul's reviews were like, before it got popular.

Nah. I think Bloodborne will receive overall positive reviews.

85 meta critic minimum, but I'm optimistic this could break 90. Even Dark Souls 2 is sitting at 91.

I was pulling that out of my ass of course, but I am curious as to what the original Demon's Soul's reviews were like, before it got popular.

Well, I know Famitsu gave it pretty average scores. 32 I think... very low for their standards!

Shengar

Done quite mediocre in Japan, but very strong word of mouth plus the translated Asia version makes it a very popular cult hit. I think the very strong reception from western reviewer influenced by that word of mouth.

As someone who has a lot of experience fighting the Cleric Beast at PSX, you absolutely have to know when to break lock-on and when to trigger it again.

Even the fight against Capra Demon and Flamelurker tells you to not use lock-on all the time.

85 meta critic minimum, but I'm optimistic this could break 90. Even Dark Souls 2 is sitting at 91.

Well, I know Famitsu gave it pretty average scores. 32 I think... very low for their standards!

Actually, they gave it a 29/40, a REALLY low score for them when dealing with big exclusive games. I remember people being shocked at the time because of the 3 point difference between reviewers (9/7/7/6), but that just happened again with Dragon Quest Heroes^^

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon's_Souls

I'll never understand why action games don't use camera systems that pass through geometry and make the walls/enemies/whatever a bit transparent to keep it from getting stuck in weird angles.

Actually, they gave it a 29/40, a REALLY low score for them when dealing with big exclusive games. I remember people being shocked at the time because of the 3 point difference between reviewers (9/7/7/6), but that just happened again with Dragon Quest Heroes^^

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon's_Souls

Honestly, I'm not surprised it didn't review particularly well. It took me a fair bit of effort to really "get" Dark Souls, and that was with lot's of help from the community.

If I was a reviewer going into Demons Souls in the dark, I would have probably severely underrated it as well.

2AdEPT

Honestly, I'm not surprised it didn't review particularly well. It took me a fair bit of effort to really "get" Dark Souls, and that was with lot's of help from the community.

If I was a reviewer going into Demons Souls in the dark, I would have probably severely underrated it as well.

????? did I miss something? a couple people simply highlght the negative responses out of a plethora of positive including games of the year all over the place and all of a sudden it didnt review particularly well overall? I bought it mostly based on positive reviews, and that those reviews were more detailed and less vague than Dragon age, which did score better but only slightly....I got my son both, as I was waaay more intrigued by Demons' based on those reviews and played both...obviously one set of reviews was better than the other at sorting out what was what. This award for Dragon age cut and pasted straight from wikipedia summed up for me which to buy for myself:

"Dragon Age: Origins received AbleGamers Foundation Most Accessibility Mainstream Game of 2009[110] making it the most accessible game for gamers with disabilities for 2009."

Demons wasnt even nominated

orochi91

The camera seems manageable to me, but if it's truly an impediment during frantic fighting then Bloodborne deserves any low scores it gets.

Reviewers taking AAA games to task this gen has been a breathe of fresh air.

The camera seems manageable to me, but if it's truly an impediment during frantic fighting then Bloodborne deserves any low scores it gets.

Reviewers taking AAA games to task this gen has been a breathe of fresh air.

Camera was fine against normal enemies in the alpha. I'll admit I had some trouble against the boss, but I'm going to attribute that to being forced to stand almost right up against a 30+ inch TV on the PSX show floor. Tough to see everything on-screen when playing like that.

I actually didn't find myself using lock-on all that much in general. Mainly used it for easy targeting with oil urns and firebombs.

What probably alienates newcomers the most is that the Souls games explain so little. Without browsing a guide or wiki a new player will have no way to know about equip limits and have a hard time understanding how stats work. This is especially troublesome in the interconnected Dark Souls where you can very easily get lost without direction.

I hope Bloodborne is more accessible in that it is easier to understand how its base mechanics work.

I'll never understand why action games don't use camera systems that pass through geometry and make the walls/enemies/whatever a bit transparent to keep it from getting stuck in weird angles.

Different design tastes. A lot of people think it looks tacky when translucency effects like that occur, and is a greater sin than the occasional bad camera angle. It's immersion breaking.

????? did I miss something? a couple people simply highlght the negative responses out of a plethora of positive including games of the year all over the place and all of a sudden it didnt review particularly well overall? I bought it mostly based on positive reviews, and that those reviews were more detailed and less vague than Dragon age, which did score better but only slightly....I got my son both, as I was waaay more intrigued by Demons' based on those reviews and played both...obviously one set of reviews was better than the other at sorting out what was what. This award for Dragon age cut and pasted straight from wikipedia summed up for me which to buy for myself:

"Dragon Age: Origins received AbleGamers Foundation Most Accessibility Mainstream Game of 2009[110] making it the most accessible game for gamers with disabilities for 2009."

Demons wasnt even nominated

By the time it launched worldwide there was positive momentum behind the title because some people had imported etc. But the Japanese reception was pretty muted from what I gathered.

That was really just the impression I got from the other side of the world, so someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

That Famitsu score was pretty poor, and there was an interview where Yoshida said stuff like "We underestimated the quality of the game and to be honest, the media in Japan did the same" http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-10-sony-admits-dropping-the-ball-with-demons-souls

Then again, it looks like Eurogamer at least gave it a 9/10 from the import version so maybe it was well received? Either way, it's a small miracle the Souls games are as popular as they are.

EVH

Yeah, camera with such big entities is hard to deal with in every game, so no surprise.

What makes me a bit angry is that the hair simply doesnt react to the floor or the walls. I remember for example the threads from the spears in Wind Waker not clipping in in the floor but laying on it and was an awesome effect. I'm sure PS4 can do it.

takriel

I'm really thinking that I don't want to look at reviews for this game, because I think that I will have a different opinion than most reviewers, seeing as the Souls franchise has become my favorite franchise. I don't see this being anything less than a 9.5 game for me.

Reviews may also contain quite a lot of spoilers, of course depending on how blind you want your first playthrough to be.

If we don't get any details on PvP and covenants before reviews I may stay clear of those and all subsequent threads and let all of that be a surprise.

Different design tastes. A lot of people think it looks tacky when translucency effects like that occur, and is a greater sin than the occasional bad camera angle. It's immersion breaking.

As opposed to the camera getting stuck on geometry and going nuts, especially in a game like this where you can potentially be locked on to big and fast moving enemies? Nah man, gimme that tackiness all day every day. Immersion is broken either way, so I'll take the option that keeps your field of view stable and consistent.

aravuus

I'm really thinking that I don't want to look at reviews for this game, because I think that I will have a different opinion than most reviewers, seeing as the Souls franchise has become my favorite franchise. I don't see this being anything less than a 9.5 game for me.

Well, it certainly shouldn't be hard to avoid the reviews if you want to, threads concerning those are helpfully named "review threads" after all. I'm also gonna skip reading any reviews beforehand, not because I care about the scores, but because I don't want to get spoiled.

Speaking of reviews, do we know when the embargo ends? I won't be reading them because of fear of spoilers... I already feel like I've been weak with this game! Thank god they haven't actually shown/revealed too much. It's almost blackout time I think.

Spineker

Banned
Speaking of reviews, do we know when the embargo ends? I won't be reading them because of fear of spoilers... I already feel like I've been weak with this game! Thank god they haven't actually shown/revealed too much. It's almost blackout time I think.

If it's a legitimately amazing game, it would have to be soon

Lux R7

1c60ab87890b059eb71ec0a2373e4091bb8437eb4661150bfdb267273b92e0f7.jpg

Hypron

Yeah, camera with such big entities is hard to deal with in every game, so no surprise.

What makes me a bit angry is that the hair simply doesnt react to the floor or the walls. I remember for example the threads from the spears in Wind Waker not clipping in in the floor but laying on it and was an awesome effect. I'm sure PS4 can do it.

Whoaw there. Hair physics is quite computationally expensive. It's on a completely different level than a spear not clipping through a floor (which the souls game already do to some extent).

FROM has a history of shoddy framerates (and the alpha didn't run at a good framerate either) so expecting them to have monsters covered in fur that behaves realistically is a bit crazy.

A little bit sad that the death blow came through a giant pylon and the beasts arm doesnt even collision detect with it.

Shit like that is pretty annoying in most dark souls games.

Boss has a cool design, but the fight itself seems pretty boring.

Even still, this game makes me want to get a PS4.

I'm still not going to get one yet

I'm still impressed by the graphics From have managed to put together. My only concern is with framerate and IQ, which both look good in the recent footage.

I am certainly not port begging, but I do feel sad Bloodborne won't come to PC. The Souls games have so much detailed artwork that really pops out with good IQ.

If it's a legitimately amazing game, it would have to be soon

I don't think it's even gone gold yet. Besides, I can't think of the last non-Nintendo game to have an embargo more than a week before release. A real sign of the times unfortunately.

I am supremely confident this game will review well in any case.

convo

I know people who absolutely hate it and think it's lazy, because they don't like the void that is always beyond the walls. Though call me crazy because i thought dark souls sometimes does it for smaller pillars?
Besides that people usually rage that Boss attacks seem to pass through some big obstacles geometry, and i am fine with that because it is just another thing to remember from the previous games, and when it happens you at least are reminded what you are dealing with here. But who know how the majority of bosses will be like.

i-Lo

I fail to understand why FROM never took the approach of making certain items in the world translucent and make the camera clip through them like certain capcom games? The camera in cleric beast boss looks like a battle itself.

Grady

Was playing a game yesterday that prompted me throughout the whole game with a hint to crouch everytime i had to crouch...i mean, do developers really think gamers are that slow.
Really wish there was a souls game on ps4 right now, in the mood to play one.

Top Bottom