• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne Boss Spoiler (IGN)

Quoting for new page.

Found the article where Miyazaki says there will be some mechanic that will make it easier for friends to play with each other.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/02...borne-and-dark-souls-creator-ign-first?page=3

Multiplayer has always been a bit of a mystery in the Souls games. In light of recent trailers that showcased three human players teaming up to fight a single boss, fans theorized that there might be a more streamlined, jump into a friend’s game kind of multiplayer this time around. Well, that’s not the case, as Miyazaki clarified. “You still have to go through the matchmaking process. However, there is a workaround where you can use keywords or a secret word and share them with friends. And of course, you can use Chalice Dungeons where you can share your chalice Dungeon with a limited number of friends.”

Do they always have to use some bizarre, esoteric method for cooperative play? Can't they just make a dedicated mode?

No, because that's part of the fun, and it'd ruin many, many of the concepts of the Souls games.

I bought the Limited Edition then realized that I work till 5:00, then have a 30 minute trip in the fucking cold, THEN I have to acknowledge my girlfriend and dog that day, with work following in the morning, leaving me like 3 hours.

Lord jesus when will I have time to git gud.

There isn't seem to be any official Bloodborne thread fow now so I'll post this here:

Okay, so this Wednesday I'm going to assist to Bloodborne's press presentation in Barcelona and I've been told that the demo will be playable and there will be a big prize for whoever beats it. I've been following this game closely but I've gone through a media blackaout regarding the gameplay mechanics. I get that Bloodborne is considerably faster than DS and there's no blocking but faster dodging instead, right? Any tricks I should know in advance? Maybe a build that works fine? Any tips for that Cleric boss fight?

I suggest watching Peeve Peeverson's playthrough of the alpha if you want to be sure you know how to kill the boss. He demonstrates several times how to kill the boss.

Do they always have to use some bizarre, esoteric method for cooperative play? Can't they just make a dedicated mode?

They basically want people to experience a lot of the game alone. These games are balanced around single PvE mostly, with summoning sometimes making things trivially easy.

2AdEPT

Fighting Cleric Beast with pure melee is a losing battle unless you're just goddamn amazing at the game. Ripostes and firebombs (after throwing oil) are far safer.

I can understand people not wanting to spoil by watching decent players, but if you watch you can see in the video he simply dodges through attacks gets a few hits in, then does all the riposte stuff....gotta budget those bullets! Think he had a torch on for some of the fight also, he didnt use his urns and basically wasted his molos so he till isnt that up to speed is my guess...I was just glad to see him get in behind the few times that he did....its mt favourite strat for souls challege runs etc. and it seemed like he was of the same ilk when countless others never got in behind...I was starting to think it wasnt possible or was being punished somehow.....but I dont really want to be superfluously spoiled and will try it for myself later!

edit: and I wisht the felleo goign to Spain the best of luck...make sure to report back!!

Not sure if I should post this here or the gamestop thread, but felt that its more relevant here because of the game title. For those that have a power up reward card and 6800 points you can get an awesome 24 x 36 poster below.

24x36-Poster-Bloodborne.jpg

Found it via a reddit thread.

I picked it up and I'm having it shipped to me. Apologies if I should have posted elsewhere.
Awesome, thanks for the heads up!

I'm surprised they showed this boss fight. Wish I could say why, but I'll keep it to PMs for now.
Interesting...

Not sure if I should post this here or the gamestop thread, but felt that its more relevant here because of the game title. For those that have a power up reward card and 6800 points you can get an awesome 24 x 36 poster below.

I picked it up and I'm having it shipped to me. Apologies if I should have posted elsewhere.

I'm surprised they showed this boss fight. Wish I could say why, but I'll keep it to PMs for now.
Thanks I def picked this up :) I had 20k points :p

2AdEPT

I wasn't trying to discount your post or create a straw man. Sorry if I sounded a bit extreme, but I was responding to an exchange between Hiko and Primeau.

You mentioned Lautrec and Lucatile who are from two completely different games in two completely different timelines. It's suggested that many hundreds, if not thousands of years have passed between DS and DS2, with kingdoms rising and falling, and the "cycle" (that you seem to loathe so much) repeating itself. For many, the subtle references and ephemeral connections between the two worlds/periods are enough, and linking it all together with some grandoise plot would be unnecessary and probably feel forced. Which is exactly why you refer to that Youtube commenter as a "hack", no?

If there's a DS3 coming, you can bet that it will have its own period/region of reference, and that linking the entire story back with the first two games is probably the last thing on Miyazaki's mind (although I imagine there would be subtle links to the key lore). You say you realise that you're asking a lot of From in creating the next high fantasy tale of political intrigue; then you tell me that you're not asking for much because all they need to do is "tweak" it. I think Primeau is right to an extent: you're simply not satisfied with the story being told - which is fine, but it's also a totally subjective opinion.

Remember that there's also a balance in these things. From strives for a rich world concept, fine-tuned enemy design, and fun, addictive gameplay. Those are their strengths, so that's where they focus their effort. When people chime in with "they could learn a thing or two about storytelling from Narnia/LOTR/Zelda", it's about as helpful as the people who go on a tirade about how "From needs to improve their graphics to keep up with next gen".

Maybe one day they will decide to spend money on a much more powerful engine. Or hire George R. R. Martin to help them write something. Who knows? But you have to accept that something else is likely to give if they put pressure on those other areas. You see a lot of "it would be nice if..." in these threads, with not a lot of real thought going into the consequences. I know it's difficult because everyone has their own expert opinion and idea of where they see the Souls series going. But the people who benefit the most are those who just enjoy the games (amongst others) for what they are.

If Bloodborne ends up disappointing you because they don't wrap up the story nicely, or the ending is not satisfying because your "choices" as a player don't matter, or NG+ is the same as NG narrative-wise, then you simply have different priorities.

Thanks for your detailed response...of course I think you realize I am a huge fan of the gameplay and the series overall, and can easily be content with the way things are. My point about Lautrec and Lucatile is that we really dont know enough about them to care what happens to them. I agree 100% linking the ds1 and 2 together is silly and dont mind if we have cameo appearances, but the games can remain separate. My criticism is that I dont think it would take much to return to, or perhaps improve on the depth of NPC interaction and description depth that we at least had a sniff of in Demons' and DS1.

I wasnt meaning to be so black and white in my presentation, and thereby evoke similar rigidity. Although as I said, I would be lying to say that I was extremely happy with the story the way it is. Yes I think they could improve the depth of the story, maybe its not so much the depth that I would hope tweaks a bit, maybe its just too unbelievable/doesnt really make sense that bugs me more, or maybe its jut too convenient the way the story goes each time, despite the location changing. I realize we are talking about fantasy and anything goes, so do not mistake my criticism as one toward creative liberty. Rather, I would hope that incredible art design somehow gets a little more meaning, and there is more interplay and congruence between the setting, the charcters and story. I think the only reason I mention it, is not becuase I would like FROM to change too much, but rather am confused why they dont come up with something a little more emotive in a way that makes sense; because it would not be that hard.

People fill in emotions for them based on music and expression of the voice actors, and that's great, take Priscilla for example. So many get emotional and refuse to fight her as "she doesnt mean to hurt anyone", and sounds sincere, meanwhile the crow people pick your eyes out and the bonewheels cut up what's left. Come on. A few more hours of development, or the job description tweak of a few staff to come up with more matching of the storyto the environment and the enemies wouldnt hurt would it? I also get that the developers perhaps intended for her to be a swindler, which is fine, despite so many taking her seriously, but surely you can see a trend here. Most of the personalities are either losing their mind or lying. We are not getting much of a story and perhaps if nothing else I just wish people would stop saying that we do.

No I am not a game developer, and dont know what it takes to pull this stuff off, and I realize it is too mcuh to ask to have a carbon copy of the Narnia and LOTR depth. ALso, I am sure you recognize that I am one of the poeple that would prefer they try for 60FPS, as yes the gameplay is more important than the lore. I do not think there has to be a huge compromise in what they have done before, especially considering they must surely be doing better at the box office than ever before; and of course I am happy with 30, but would be even more pleased with more. If its a choice between hair or 60 FPS, I will take smooth gameplay every time..the shaky camera is one thing that dissolves the immersion and seeing the hair fly around is fluff in the long run. ;)
this is a lighthearted joke dont offend

I just felt that since the Sage Freke, maiden astrea, and Ostrava, themes, which admittedly piqued my curiosity and had me care, at least a little, the Dark story went completely south (progresssively worse for ds2 in the way of convenient hollowing and "not knowing why" repetition) and am worried the Bloodborne story, which I hope people realize "could all be a dream" is potentially further convenient progression away from a taught match between art style and story, although I can see how a procedural dungeon and dreaming could go hand in hand very nicely. I wont really care too much, because I enjoy the art and gameplay regardless, but it would be nice if there was some evidence of the story taking longer than a few weeks to write out on allthe descriptions, and have NPC's that might recognize what other NPC's might know about the descriptions and that care what happens. They had it right when you took the seal of VInland after kiling Selen's brother, and it forced you to trudge around to advance the stroy. THis was ever so slight immersion into the story and could easily be expanded on. For example if you have a certian description in your inventory they could give different replies...which from kinda started doign but moved away from almost completely by DS2. A few more comrades that actually survive instead of perpetually losing their mind and being confused through hollowing or diseased nightmares would be great.......and at the end of reading said descriptions in their entirety, one could say, "YEs, I get it!" Instead of just "Yes, I did it....but I dont really know why?" That isnt really that much to ask is it?

tcrunch

People fill in emotions for them based on music and expression of the voice actors, and that's great, take Priscilla for example. So many get emotional and refuse to fight her as "she doesnt mean to hurt anyone", and sounds sincere, meanwhile the crow people pick your eyes out and the bonewheels cut up what's left. Come on. A few more hours of development, or the job description tweak of a few staff to come up with more matching of the storyto the environment and the enemies wouldnt hurt would it? I also get that the developers perhaps intended for her to be a swindler, which is fine, despite so many taking her seriously, but surely you can see a trend here. Most of the personalities are either losing their mind or lying. We are not getting much of a story and perhaps if nothing else I just wish people would stop saying that we do.

Priscilla is intentionally (from the dev's POV, not necessarily hers) telling you a conflicting story, it isn't a developmental oversight but rather the developmental intention. It is supposed to make you question the nature of the Painted World, the nature of Priscilla as an "abomination", and what Priscilla might be seeing that you don't.

The story of Souls games is very much what you make of it. But it is always going to be dark and sad in the end, and your role will always be some jackass that came into a ruined world and picked off the last bits of power left in it for your own gain.

2AdEPT

Priscilla is intentionally (from the dev's POV, not necessarily hers) telling you a conflicting story, it isn't a developmental oversight but rather the developmental intention. It is supposed to make you question the nature of the Painted World, the nature of Priscilla as an "abomination", and what Priscilla might be seeing that you don't.

The story of Souls games is very much what you make of it. But it is always going to be dark and sad in the end, and your role will always be some jackass that came into a ruined world and picked off the last bits of power left in it for your own gain.

fair enough...looking forward to something different story wise for Bloodborne I guess. Its official....hype level has exceeded the anticipation I felt for both DS1 and 2....confirmed.

2AdEPT

Sony just released a new commercial that features a small bit of new footage. It's of the Cleric Beast, but it appears that they've overhauled the lighting for the setting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWVeyuHufA

Well we have seen the orange sky before......I thought it was simply confirmed that there would be random day/night shifts in the world, so you could end up fighting a boss in a different back drop, but there would be no actual clock or rhyme or reason to it? Too bad I dont recal in which of these threads I thought I read that....could easily have read wrong. It makes more sense that they just changed this boss' backdrop and perhaps a few others. I thought a developer was quoted as saying something along the lines of, "We recognized that it would be boring to always have the same dark dreary night sky, and although the daylight we added is still ominous and consistent with the theme, we wanted to mix it up a bit."

edit: no. right. it wasn't that hard
smart ass who wrote this link...not me btw so dont shoot the messenger

Mutombo

I guess its a good point, the nature of the Souls games is what you make of it. I for one don't care much about the story, cannot remember any of the side quests, didn't know I was doing any of the side quests in the first place, have forgotten most of the dialogues and always had to go back online to read a wiki after something ambiguous happened to a character or another.

And I have studied narrativity, and how to tell stories in different and meaningful ways, in uni.

But that's okay. I play it to conquer the world. The worlds are great. To me the story is about being lost in those worlds and having to fight your way out of it. But when plot points are ambiguously vague they make me go "PFFT" instead of "Whats going on?" and I stop to take notice.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
how much more... how much more......

Elixist

whats awesome about that poster is you could crop a couple inches off the bottom and have just the artwork with no bullshit.

As opposed to the camera getting stuck on geometry and going nuts, especially in a game like this where you can potentially be locked on to big and fast moving enemies? Nah man, gimme that tackiness all day every day. Immersion is broken either way, so I'll take the option that keeps your field of view stable and consistent.

Wouldn't that cause performance issues? Let's say the camera is 15 feet behind you. You'd have to render geometry 15 feet beyond the edge of the playfield so when you're backed up against a wall you dont see an empty void between you and the camera.

Pearson

Banned
I'll be all about lightweight fast moving agility in this game rather than slower heavy hitting!

Very excited for this!

Loakum

Banned

Thanx and done.
v9iECZpl.jpg

Con_Smith

Banned
Any word if this will be a midnight unlock for the East Coast or will we have to wait until 3 in the morning like they did the order. I have to know this as I want to go digital but I'm not gonna wait 3 more hours then I have to for this game if I can help it.

2AdEPT

Any word if this will be a midnight unlock for the East Coast or will we have to wait until 3 in the morning like they did the order. I have to know this as I want to go digital but I'm not gonna wait 3 more hours then I have to for this game if I can help it.

I am definitely monitoring my CE order from EB games in Canada, if they have a midnight release I will have to wait in line, but at least will get going shortly after launch. If not, I have to wait until the next morning....will be tempting to just get an electronic copy but will have to hold out this time...no more double or tripple dipping until it is confirmed what I will have to pay for the DX11 PC version after already double dipping on PS3, PC and gettting the full PC DLC already. Sorry SONY, but I have done my share.

That new lighting looks gorgeous.

Wonder if it's like a NG+ kind of situation. And new armour! Amazizzle.

Still the same old weapon though.

I can't wait :(

Tiamant

You only get to choose one of 4 prebuilt characters for the demo. Kirkhammer/sword is the best weapon but you know choose as you like. For Cleric Beast:
shoot it in the head.

When you are shown the control scheme on the demo, read the part about Countershot and Backstrike.

Well done!

Choose a "class" with the pistol. If the demo is the same as previous builds, you have choice between the dual daggers and the axe. I'd say the axe is considerably better for the boss fight.

Spoilers for much of the demo area:
Things to know when getting to the boss: when you get down to the long road, take a right to proceed. There will be a bonfire up ahead with A LOT of enemy townsfolk around. DO NOT run into them, instead take a right past a carriage where a sleeping gunsman is.

The clocktower bell will ring and the crowd at the bonfire below you will disperse. Wait for them to spread out then run past them all, all the way up to the bridge. Once at the bridge, take a left to collect some bullets behind a statue and to trigger Priest Gascoigne, then watch as he kills the werewolves. DO NOT attack them because they can almost OHK you. When they are dead, run past all enemies to the end of the bridge where the boss is.

Things to know for the boss fight: Keep your distance and be ready to roll/dash away from the long distance lunges he can do. When he's not swinging lock-on to his head and fire with your pistol from a medium distance. After a few hits he will weaken and slump to the floor, at which point you run up to him and melee attack for a big critical hit.

After a critical hit again keep your distance and use any oil urns and firebombs you have on him from a medium distance. Oil urns first. Eventually he will heal his damaged face with a red effect, at which point you can again start shooting at his head to weaken him and score another critical attack. If you run out of bullets there are at least two bodies in the boss area you can loot for more.

Rinse and repeat and above all keep a safe distance.

pretty good advice so far....not sure of the rules, but if all you have to do is be one of the many who will complete the level to get a prize just wathching these guys play should do it:

THis is jsut some random guy I dont know,but he goes behind the boss to get his hits in....why most people allow the boss to face them all the time is beyond me, but each to thier own...I guess it is easier to lock on to the head for head shots etc.?

THis is Peeverson doing a full hour long analysis of the whole level..,forget about spoilers...what if its a cool prize??!!?!

I suggest watching Peeve Peeverson's playthrough of the alpha if you want to be sure you know how to kill the boss. He demonstrates several times how to kill the boss.

I wanted to chime in and say thank you. I didn't have time to follow all your instructions but I definitely took note of the bullet points you made, and oh boy did they help me!

So there I am with the rest of people playing the demo in one of the 4 consoles available. As suggested I pick the knife guy. At first I'm a bit disappointed with the damage output but everything changes when I start messing with the transforming mechanic. I take things slowly in a very reminiscent way to my first time through DS. Meanwhile, the people next to me are rushing and dying as expected. There's one kid (seriously, he's too young, how the hell did he managed to get in?) who, surprisingly, is keeping up the pace with me even though it seems like its his first time playing a game like this.

Anyway, here I am avoiding the big mob at the plaza, running through the dogs and letting the npc kill the werewolves, when I finally arrive to the boss and the awesome music starts playing. Suddenly all eyes are on me: the sony rep ramps up the volume, the annoying ladies talking about how dark and difficult the game is shut up, the other sony rep who get me in here shouts "you can do it!". I'm shaking.

Just so you know, I'm kind of the "coward" type of player in DS. In every boss fight the first thing I do is to defend and roll until I've learned all the patterns, but this simply isn't an option here because this damned thing is so freaking fast! I start by keeping my distance and aiming for the head. Boom! he starts bleeding and I run for the critical hit, immediately after I run to the opposite part of the bridge and wait for him to heal.

Wait a minute. This is very familiar, could it be...? Yep, this is Taurus Demon 2.0! Everything clicks in my brain and I start repeating the whole thing flawlessly amid the ooohhhs and aaahhhs from the audience everytime I'm close to being hit. Just about when he is at 20% health I run out of bullets so I throw all of my firebombs. 10% health remaining, time to play dangerous. I try to attack him after he jumps but I get stuck between the chariot and a statue. Wooosh! He sents me flying with a swing, everyone gasps and I only have a tiny bit of health left but luckily he leaves me close to an item.
9 more bullets. I target the beast as it's running towards me. BANG! BANG! Knife to the head and it finally falls! Everyone cheers, I'm still shaking.

Amazing experience all around, even better now that I know I've won a nightmare edition, and this is all thanks to you! :D

2AdEPT

YEs! Excellet storytellign I was right there with ya! Praise the SUn!!! er...... Moon now I guess?!?!?? So no one else got a copy just you?? Being from Canada I am jelly on that nightmare edition!

Game4life

Banned
Suddenly all eyes are on me: the sony rep ramps up the volume, the annoying ladies talking about how dark and difficult the game is shut up, the other sony rep who get me in here shouts "you can do it!". I'm shaking.

Best part of the story is the bolded lol! Congrats on your win!

tcrunch

Has anyone been able to find a 1080p wallpaper of the boxart?

If you mean the old boxart with the city, it's not 1920x1080 and then cropped down, it's a vertical shot to begin with. Gamersyde has the biggest possible images of it.

If you mean the gray art then the best I found was a 1980x1200, I resized/edited it down to 1080.

e: imo you would be better off using one of the screenshots as a bg

Top Bottom