• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne is a great game, but a bad Souls game.

Vinland

Banned
Suuuure it isn't.

I love how people completely overlook the huge design and philosophy overlap just because marketing tells them it's totally different
This one's an exclusive!

I would say that the game is a composite of several franchises. You cannot make 3 games prior and deny the experiences gained won't peek through but games like Otogi also shine through.

This is a From game and it is an experience that shows the hard work of its creatives that birthed it.

I don't see how people can disagree with the gist of what he's saying. Bloodborne stripped out a lot of what made Dark Souls great, and only replaced it with better combat.

That's not true at all. You're saying they stripped out the atmosphere, discovery, challenge,bosses, and lore? They stripped some of the things out but you're being hyperbolic.

The way I see it is that Bloodborne is a fantastic game. It is what it is. Enjoy it instead of trying to make it what you want it to be.

It's not called blood souls for a reason.

it's a new ip with souls mechanics.

it doesn't have the build variety of the souls games, but it's way more focused on the melee combat and fast paced gameplay.

every melee weapon has more more move set and depth than it's equivalent in the other souls games.

that's just what Bloodborne and if Bloodborn 2 were to happen it's probably gonna be the same with the build v and the stylish transforming weapons.

Battleborn is the sequel to bloodborn

I'm curious why you (OP) chose bad as the adjective when your catalog of issues didn't reflect that? Like, feel free to critique the game on whatever merits you want, but using "bad" just seems purposefully inciting.

GavinGT

Banned
That's not true at all. You're saying they stripped out the atmosphere, discovery, challenge,bosses, and lore? They stripped some of the things out but you're being hyperbolic.

The way I see it is that Bloodborne is a fantastic game. It is what it is. Enjoy it instead of thinking what you want it to be.

I said "a lot". I'm not sure how you got those specific things from my post. Even if we're limiting the discussion just to character builds, that's still "a lot".

Some really obnoxious analogies being made here. Bloodborne is from the same creators and comes from the same philosophy. Comparing games from different publishers and games from completely different genres is asinine and stupid. Souls games and Bloodborne have more in common than not. Please stop acting as if they are a huge philosophy shift.

I'm curious why you (OP) chose bad as the adjective when your catalog of issues didn't reflect that? Like, feel free to critique the game on whatever merits you want, but using "bad" just seems purposefully inciting.

I didn't use bad

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Quake is a Doom game. Halo is a Marathon game.

Yes, and yes.

So you proved my point.

People were excited about BB because of the Souls games, it has Souls like mechanics from the same dev, and looks pretty much like a Souls game.

Acting like it's not is just stupid.

How serious is it to have a good build in Bloodborne/Souls? I am actually not paying that much attention to the build in Bloodborne and I'm using logic as to what will do the most damage. I'm barely upgrading Bloodtinge and Arcane that much as I have yet to see a use for it.

I hope I don't end up in that situation where I didn't upgrade a certain aspect and get stuck forever with the boss...

If you don't suck you can pretty much beat the game with anything. Good builds are generally more for PvP.

I don't know many people that played Dark Souls 2 with leather armour, a greatsword and a 100% Damage Reduction, but I'm doing just fine.

PBalfredo

Just OOT, do you consider Soul Calibur and Tekken same game too? Or Darkstalkers and Street fighter? Or Starcraft and Warcraft? I can give you alot more games.

All games above are made by the same company and belongs to the same genre. So by your definition. They must be same games in the same series, right?

This goes far beyond just being two games in the same genre being made by the same company. Notice that I mentioned the philosophy behind the games being the same. That's huge deal. There is a big difference between the gameplay philosophies of SF and Darkstalkers or Starcraft and Warcraft. All of the hallmarks of Souls philosophy of game design are front and center in Bloodborne.

Varvor

I would not say its failure as Souls game....but its big enough departure where i did not enjoy it as much as i hoped.

DS and DkS slow and methodic nature of its play (even shield turtling) caters to me more then breakneck and risk taking style of Bloodborne. I respect what it does, but that pertivular game is not for me.

Gotta start by saying you probably should have went for a different title.

Anyway, I loved BB, but I agree somewhat. The variety, with just about everything, is really limited. It doesn't really have anything to do with it not being a Souls game, it's just what I've come to expect from the developer. What is there is amazing, I just wish there was more.

Fat4all

Banned
How serious is it to have a good build in Bloodborne/Souls? I am actually not paying that much attention to the build in Bloodborne and I'm using logic as to what will do the most damage. I'm barely upgrading Bloodtinge and Arcane that much as I have yet to see a use for it.

I hope I don't end up in that situation where I didn't upgrade a certain aspect and get stuck forever with the boss...

It doesn't really matter if you have a serious or perfect build, more that you have a focused build. Find the weapons and abilities you like and hone in on leveling those attributes.

Bloodtinge and Arcane are for builds that take a very different focus. They are useful for PvP as well.

Adam Blue

I really don't see how that guy can get to the last boss and then for some reason his build can't beat him. This is hilarious but probably not intentional so I apologize.

You can beat Souls games without really taking care of your build. Just think about equipment and enemy attacks.

aly

Both series are incredibly overrated.
Good games, but god damn, keep your dick in your pants.

I don't understand overrated as a complaint. It just sounds like getting mad that people like something more than you do. Like what makes something overrated?

Silvard

Considering the OP attributed his lack of success on a boss to his build, I really can't trust his opinion on anything but the shallowest of observations about Souls games or Bloodborne.

Gbraga

yes, and darkstalkers is a street fighter game

and starcraft is basically warcraft in space!

am i doing this right, guys?

/S

You're using actual IPs as examples, so no, you're not.

There's no game called "Souls" by From Software, it's Demon's Souls, it's Dark Souls, and now Bloodborne. People call these specific and VERY similar games "Souls games", a lot of people adopted the "Soulsborne series" term once Bloodborne came out.

If we're using IPs to define what a "Souls" game is, this denial should have happened in 2011, when people started putting both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls on the same "Souls" boat.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I made this post in another thread but I'll put it here, as this comparison reflects my thoughts on Bloodborne compared to other Souls games and can hopefully supplement the original poster's opinion:

Demon's Souls = Resident Evil 1
(New fun concept, a bit flawed but something you would like a sequel to improve upon).

Dark Souls = Resident Evil 2
(The sequel that improved everything, with a better way of navigation but not too hand-holding)

Dark Souls 2 = Resident Evil 3
(Tried in many ways to be different than its predecessor. New concepts but not all of it beloved. It has its fans)

Bloodborne = Resident Evil Code Veronica (Not quite the previous games, not quite a full on action game. A fun thrill ride with a bit less depth to the exploration)

Eidan

Some really obnoxious analogies being made here. Bloodborne is from the same creators and comes from the same philosophy. Comparing games from different publishers and games from completely different genres is asinine and stupid. Souls games and Bloodborne have more in common than not. Please stop acting as if they are a huge philosophy shift.

I didn't use bad

There's a large enough shift where anyone can say there are clear differences in the series, making the statement "Bloodbourne is a bad Souls game" sound silly. To me it's like someone saying "Dino Crisis is a bad Resident Evil".

lord_lad

Banned
This goes far beyond just being two games in the same genre being made by the same company. Notice that I mentioned the philosophy behind the games being the same. That's huge deal. There is a big difference between the gameplay philosophies of SF and Darkstalkers or Starcraft and Warcraft. All of the hallmarks of Souls philosophy of game design are front and center in Bloodborne.

and now you are just grasping straws here to fit your narrative......

i can give you alot more examples and/or write an entire wall of text to rebuke you but i'm not because as Ned Stark would've said:

"A mad man sees what he sees."

You're using actual IPs as examples, so no, you're not.

There's no game called "Souls" by From Software, it's Demon's Souls, it's Dark Souls, and now Bloodborne. People call these specific and VERY similar games "Souls games", a lot of people adopted the "Soulsborne series" term once Bloodborne came out.

Semantics...SEMANTICS...........

DeaviL

Banned
People are really stretching this "lol false equivalence" thing thin.
It's the exclusive "souls type" game for the PS4.
It really damn dishonest to make your only discourse "it ain't souls brah".

It's a souls type game, and one could say it is quite disappointing that it takes away location and build variety.

Ferrio

Banned
How so? I can't help but to roll my eyes when I read these kind of comments in regards to content. The game has the same average duration of the others Souls, which is impressive by itself, considering Bloodborne is a much more fast paced game than DS and DkS. In addition to that, you have the Chalice Dungeons and the DLC expansion that is in the works (people generally count Artoria of the Abyss as if it was in DkS original package, so I think it is relevant to say this).

Even if you factored in the unique Chalice dungeons (which I wouldn't cause they're trash) the game still has less content. The build variety sucks, so additional play throughs all feel very very similar. The NG's don't add anything worth a damn, the multiplayer blows, the hunter tools might as not even exist they're so bad.

Don't get me wrong it's a great game, but the lack of replayability compared to the others really let me down.

aly

I made this post in another thread but I'll put it here, as this comparison reflects my thoughts on Bloodborne compared to other Souls games and can hopefully supplement the original poster's opinion:

Demon's Souls = Resident Evil 1
(New fun concept, a bit flawed but something you would like a sequel to improve upon).

Dark Souls = Resident Evil 2
(The sequel that improved everything, with a better way of navigation but not too hand-holding)

Dark Souls 2 = Resident Evil 3
(Tried in many ways to be different than its predecessor. New concepts but not all of it beloved. It has its fans)

Bloodborne = Resident Evil Code Veronica (Not quite the previous games, not quite a full on action game. A fun thrill ride with a bit less depth to the exploration)

Huh. I really like the way you put this. I think this is pretty much how I feel so far about each game. Must mean that Dark Souls 3 is going to be amazing.

Sol1dus

Ya'll are dumb. It takes one poster to make everyone else fall in line and pick on a guy, using moronic statements- blowing things out of proportion. This is one reason why people don't take this industry seriously.

I didn't even agree with the OP at the beginning but some of you guys are so fucking dumb with your analogies that you made it easier for me to agree with him than not.

PBalfredo

and now you are just grasping straws here to fit your narrative......

i can give you alot more examples and/or write an entire wall of text to rebuke you but i'm not because as Ned Stark would've said:

"A mad man sees what he sees."

If you have an argument then make an argument.

Rozart

Dark Souls vs Bloodborne is going to be the next SMT vs Persona.

Nah. Majority of the Souls players love both BB and the Souls franchise. It's not nearly as divisive as the whole Persona vs SMT thing. Dark Souls 2 is actually the game most players tend to turn their noses up to.

I didn't use bad

What does the title say?

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Huh. I really like the way you put this. I think this is pretty much how I feel so far about each game. Must mean that Dark Souls 3 is going to be amazing.

It depends on where you think it's headed. I don't think Dark Souls 3 will be equivalent to Resident Evil 4 and turn the series upside down. However I believe it can be like Resident Evil 0 or Resident Evil Outbreak. The one between them that is seen as a better game is up to interpretation.

Top Bottom