• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne Press Preview Impressions (16/03/2015)

Menome

I got through Dark Souls II using nothing but dual-rapiers, so this focus on an aggressive playstyle suits me just fine.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I ctrl+f'ed the articles, no mentioning at all about the framerate

What I mean was, did any article say anything bad about anything? If they didn't, then it would suggest they are holding all criticism for the reviews, and lack of framerate criticism doesn't necessarily mean there aren't problems.

Not that I'm particularly worried. It does seem like the framerate is pretty stable based on all the leaked footage.

bombshell

German Blog has some impressions

http://blog.de.playstation.com/2015...id=577463116914499585&adbpl=tw&adbpr=40953865

including the PsVita remote play..

b6TWUNl.jpg

Thanks, I used the english version though posted by 2 others :)

Surprised the embargo isn't up yet.

Sony usually has a week-early embargo for games they're confident in and a week-of embargo for games they're not. But I also feel like they're weirdly scared of advertising Bloodborne - the all-CG reveal at E3, the skipped TGS reveal the previous year, the weird commercial, embargoed trailers, etc. It seems like everyone agrees it's an amazing game but Sony seems deathly afraid of talking about it.

It's like they still view FROM's Soul-types as extremely niche games.

Sometimes Ill read comments and genuinely think - "Oh this guy is new" and then I see its a veteran. You shocked me Alberto

Surprised the embargo isn't up yet.

Sony usually has a week-early embargo for games they're confident in and a week-of embargo for games they're not. But I also feel like they're weirdly scared of advertising Bloodborne - the all-CG reveal at E3, the skipped TGS reveal the previous year, the weird commercial, embargoed trailers, etc. It seems like everyone agrees it's an amazing game but Sony seems deathly afraid of talking about it.

It's like they still view FROM's Soul-types as extremely niche games.

What are you even talking about here? There are commercials and marketing posters everywhere for his game.

Endo Punk

Second Son+First Light+DmC baby!

Well I bought a Second Son bundle with the knowledge that Sony are working on a Souls type game :D Of course I love Second Son and other games that released that year like Pure Pool and Transistor but finally the reason I bought a PS4 is almost in my hands.

Keinu

This focus of faster and more agressive combat (with no magic), does that mean you will have less builds available? I loved playing through previous Souls game multiple times with different builds, is this now no longer possible (or more limited)?

The quality of the writing from that brief Kotaku UK blurb is so much better than those other selections that it's shocking. Maybe the Gamespot bit comes in second, but it's not close. I'm actually a little embarrassed.

What are you even talking about here? There are commercials and marketing posters everywhere for his game.

They're talking about it, but in very strange ways.

I always feel like they're advertising a straight-up action game than a slower, more atmospheric thing. The fact that a gameplay trailer leaked before E3 and yet E3 had a CG trailer says to me that they're not entirely sure what to show and what might scare people off.

Amused

Trustedreviews.com

Also, just a reminder for those who might not have experienced a From Software game before – there’s no pause. And there’s no escape.

Put it this way, I played for around two hours and didn’t even make it to the first boss.

Early Verdict:

Bloodborne has the potential to be one of the great PS4 exclusives, but only for a very niche market. Just like its origins, Dark Souls and co, it won’t have the mass appeal needed to make it a console-defining title. For those who are fans of Dark Souls and Demon Souls, Bloodborne is right up your street. It’s just not for me.

The quality of the writing from that brief Kotaku UK blurb is so much better than those other selections that it's shocking. Maybe the Gamespot bit comes in second, but it's not close. I'm actually a little embarrassed.
That was my favorite too! Seemed really genuine and gave some interesting development insights. Now I'm really stoked.

What I mean was, did any article say anything bad about anything? If they didn't, then it would suggest they are holding all criticism for the reviews, and lack of framerate criticism doesn't necessarily mean there aren't problems.

Not that I'm particularly worried. It does seem like the framerate is pretty stable based on all the leaked footage.

two things I read negative in a german preview:

- aliasing was there, but better than the alpha
- camera is sometimes bad

I always feel like they're advertising a straight-up action game than a slower, more atmospheric thing. The fact that a gameplay trailer leaked before E3 and yet E3 had a CG trailer says to me that they're not entirely sure what to show and what might scare people off.

I think it was obvious why they didn't show the gameplay openly at E3. It was still in rough shape. The leaked videos from behind closed doors showed a lot of framerate issues. And the Project Beast was the same. Except it had tearing on top of the framerate issues. And the visuals were nothing like you'd expect from a PS4 game. Once it got into presentable shape they not only showed it to the public, but immediately let them play it (gamescom).

They're currently running commercials earlier than they usually do. And last week they had a going gold party for it in Japan, which is something i've never seen them do for any game.

ironcreed

Banned
Demon's Souls already trained me for going light and fast, while using my roll. That is the strategy I especially had to use in order to beat King Allant. However, when Dark Souls came around, I fell into sword and boarding and going tank mode on occasion, but still found that rolling was more effective than sitting there blocking on most occasions. With that, I am already programmed to play that way, so I am not expecting it to be too much of an adjustment.

GulAtiCa

Going to be interesting to see how those that always tried to go 60+% equip load with big focus of using their shield and heavy heavy loads get used to this fast play style.

I always keep myself under 50%. And most chars of mine were under 30%, so I'm ready!

Fhtagn

Whoa, what the fuck.

I am increasingly amazed how saying anything, regardless of how non-inflammatory it is, elicits this kind of response.

Nevermind, fuck it. I'm out.

Except what you posted wasn't non-inflammatory; it was factually inaccurate and somewhat bizarrely so. For one thing, Bloodborne is being advertised on TV already; I saw one myself during last week's Better Call Saul. For another, review embargos are typically the day before, not a week before. There are exceptions, but day before is normal.

ced

Whoa, what the fuck.

I am increasingly amazed how saying anything, regardless of how non-inflammatory it is, elicits this kind of response.

Nevermind, fuck it. I'm out.

Your post was clearly trolling with mis-information and completely false when it comes to review date embargo in general.

georly

uh, it happened already with DkS2 and probably other souls games.

scared or not confident? Lol. also after the success and growth in popularity that Dark Souls had I have no idea how they could see this game as an extremely niche game. infact, they don't.

Just because they did it before doesn't mean it was correct then, either. Embargoing reviews til really close to release nowadays tells consumers you're not confident in your game, even if you actually are. Too many awful games have had embargoed reviews to do this anymore. Blame the bad games for this, but any time you appear to be hiding something, you're telling the consumers that you ARE hiding something.

That said, I'm sure this will be a good game (well, at least I hope), but if you're confident in it, and know it's a good game... don't be weird about coverage, don't hold off on reviews until the last minute possible... don't have a PREVIEW embargo up a week before the game. It just gives off the wrong message. Don't be an assassin's creed unity. I agree w/ alberto.

Your post was clearly trolling with mis-information and completely false when it comes to review date embargo in general.

What misinformation? Sure, games do it all the time now, but that doesn't mean it's a good thing anymore. Plenty of good games have release day embargoes... but so many bad ones do, too. It honestly tells me, as a consumer "uh... if they don't want review scores going out until after the game is on shelves... you should probably wait to see what they're hiding." Wayy to many games have hidden bad games behind release day embargoes for this practice to be normal/safe anymore.

Ads != talking about it. Ads != game coverage. Ads = Ads. Bad games have ads, as do good. Ads tell me nothing about what a game actually is. Ads tell me what the pubs want me to think a game is.

And again, don't get me wrong, if the game turns out well, it'll be the first game I pick up when I get a PS4, but in a world where you have companies doing reviews 2 weeks ahead of time for games they trust and reviews on release day (or not sending out early copies at all) for games that are total trash... it makes me a bit... apprehensive when a game's reviews are really late. It makes me ask "why?" That's all.

Steroyd

This seems tough to hit embargo date with this sized game. I'm surprised Sony hasn't sent review copies a few weeks in advance so that reviewers have enough time to really learn everything about the game and give it a proper review.

Even then they can't really review it thoroughly if the servers aren't up for them to test out the online features.

Xeroblade

Its really awesome that they tweaked the remote play controls, though I think the rear touch pad is not as touchy as I would like. Guess I wont lock on as much.

burgerdog

I'm starting to think that the majority of people play the Soul games behind a shield. I was terrible at the game until I dropped the shield and started to two hand my weapon and rely on my roll. Bloodborne is going to feel right at home for me.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback

Commenting on a game's advertising being "strange" is hardly a troll. I don't necessarily agree with the original sentiment (the game has been playable plenty of times months in advance) but being overly defensive in an unwarranted manner in return is uncalled for.

GulAtiCa

The way people pounced on ShockingAlberto for his simple observation is very odd. It's like anyone who isn't a regular around Souls GAF is attacked.. We all don't have to get all defensive about the game. He simply made an honest observation. nothing BS or trolling about it..

Sony's frightened yet they aired both the PS4 spring ad (which included Bloodborne) as well as Bloodborne's own commercial during The Walking Dead.
Sometimes Ill read comments and genuinely think - "Oh this guy is new" and then I see its a veteran. You shocked me Alberto
I'm not shocked :p

Volcynika

Commenting on a game's advertising being "strange" is hardly a troll. I don't necessarily agree with the original sentiment (the game has been playable plenty of times months in advance) but being overly defensive in an unwarranted manner in return is uncalled for.

People just like to throw out the word "trolling" for pretty much anything.

Fhtagn

The way people pounced on ShockingAlberto for his simple observation is very odd. It's like anyone who isn't a regular around Souls GAF is attacked.. We all don't have to get all defensive about the game. He simply made an honest observation. nothing BS or trolling about it..

Oh come on, one person jumped, and then he defensively accused us of being too sensitive, and then if you read the post in question, it's not rooted in fact, so... What does "non-inflammatory" mean again?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

If this is how you feel then use this, a discussion forum, to articulate why you disagree.

Not "THIS IS SOME BS RIGHT HUR"

You seem to not know what you are talking about. Bloodborne is a fast paced action rpg. Have you even read the impressions? Have you played the game? This is not a slow methodical game but a fast methodical one.

Orayn

Oh come on, one person jumped, and then he defensively accused us of being too sensitive, and then if you read the post in question, it's not rooted in fact, so... What does "non-inflammatory" mean again?

GAF has a serious problem with people getting defensive about games they're excited for. Honestly, circling the wagons in OTs and hype train threads is one of the worst things that goes on here and it deserves to be called out whenever it happens.

Fhtagn

If this is how you feel then use this, a discussion forum, to articulate why you disagree.

Not "THIS IS SOME BS RIGHT HUR"

Now I agree with this, as well, but this is a Gaf-wide thing that happens wrt any game and not a souls-fan specific thing.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

Read the thread. Multiple people jumped unreasonably after making a personal observation.

todahawk

Did you read the impressions in the OP?
It's definitely faster paced now, no turtling. Still atmospheric though it seems.

Sami+

Last time I played Demon's Souls I didn't use a shield at all - that two handed Meat Cleaver game was too fun not to. My last few Dark Souls runs have been mostly shieldless Zweihander runs. Excited as fuuuuuuck.

Fhtagn

GAF in general is too defensive about games they're excited for. People circling the wagons in hype train threads is one of the worst things that goes on here, and it deserves to be called out whenever it happens.

I would entirely agree with you if the post in question wasn't out of touch with reality. The game is being advertised on TV, they are flying journalists to Tokyo to play the game, they are giving lots of interviews; what basis is there to think Sony is being shy about this game? None.

This focus of faster and more agressive combat (with no magic), does that mean you will have less builds available? I loved playing through previous Souls game multiple times with different builds, is this now no longer possible (or more limited)?

I wouldn't think so.
You have one weapon on a hand that can be used in two different forms, and a gun for the other hand. You basically have three different tools at your disposal at any time to mix and match. I'm sure there will be many different builds not only for each combination of left and right weapon but for preferences of each form on the right hand. The magic of it is having more at your disposal at any time.

Top Bottom