• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne Series In Early Development For Hbo

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

This week, we’re talking about Sony’s film plans for their Souls (Dark Souls, Demon Souls) franchise, and in particular, Bloodborne.

Since partnering with HBO on the upcoming Last Of Us series, Sony and HBO are both keen to bring more franchises to HBO Max. We can exclusively share that Bloodborne is in early development as a limited run series.

An early version of the script exists along with some concept art, both of which I’ve seen. The story will be similar in structure to movies like Dread or The Raid, with the protagonist set with a seemingly simple task but has to work through a series of battles with enemies. Each episode of the proposed 8-episode season sees the protagonist fighting a boss from the game in the climax. Between what I’ve seen in the script and of concept art, these will be visual feasts for the eyes, and in keeping with the Souls brand of bloody violence.

Sony is currently dissatisfied with some elements of the script and it is undergoing a re-write. Though, many elements, including the climatic boss fight for each episode, remain. We don’t have any casting news. However, it’s said they are looking for a lead actor who has a strong background in stunt work.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
An early version of the script exists along with some concept art, both of which I’ve seen. The story will be similar in structure to movies like Dread or The Raid, with the protagonist set with a seemingly simple task but has to work through a series of battles with enemies. Each episode of the proposed 8-episode season sees the protagonist fighting a boss from the game in the climax. Between what I’ve seen in the script and of concept art, these will be visual feasts for the eyes, and in keeping with the Souls brand of bloody violence.
giphy.gif

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I guess a monster of the week format could work for a very limited one season and done series. Hopefully it is rich with references to the lore and doesn't misunderstand what makes Bloodborne compelling in the first place.
It would be funny if they nail this and yet to this day no one can make a good post-Golden arc Berserk adaptation.

FunkMiller

Hmmm. Cant see them adapting a lot of the weirder and Lovecraftian elements. They’ll want a broad appeal fantasy show, suitable for a wide audience. Expect a very shallow interpretation.

FunkMiller

HBO already adapted Lovecraft Country. I doubt they would try to tone it down.

It’s based on a video game. Hollywood doesn’t understand video games.

They’ll tone done the weirdness and the more grotesque aspects, I have little doubt of that.

we’ll see tho.

Last edited:

elliot5

this sounds like a bad idea. I like HBO, but Sony movies/television and video game adaptations in general are 99% of the times bad.. I feel like these things never come to fruition and when they do they're a dumpster fire.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
It’s based on a video game. Hollywood doesn’t understand video games.

They’ll tone done the weirdness and the more grotesque aspects, I have little doubt of that.

we’ll see tho.
this sounds like a bad idea. I like HBO, but Sony movies/television and video game adaptations in general are 99% of the times bad.. I feel like these things never come to fruition and when they do they're a dumpster fire.
Movie-based hollywood? Yes. TV show hollywood? They still have more chances to prove themselves. Hopefully an extended format helps, since all of the video games they are planning to adapt are more than 2 hours.

Edit: FunkMiller more to your point, I feel like when a show is exclusive to a streaming service, they tend to go in the opposite direction(more gore, more sex, more blood, more grotesque) because they don't have to worry about TV rating systems since it's their turf. Amazon and Netflix have been doing the same. It's one of the better things to happen from cable's slow death.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bloodborne series. Demon's Souls movie. Uncharted movie. Last of Us show.

Sony what is going on? What's next? A MLB The Show movie?

MrS

Banned
So fucking stupid. I hate that they're persisting with this shit. Who asked for this? We want games not TV programmes.

MrS

Banned
How HBO series interfere with game development? What galaxy brain logic this is?
Well, smart guy, if we take TLOU TV show as an example, Druckmann, a video game director, is working on it and writing scripts. How is that not taking him away from game dev? Same will happen with Bloodborne.

Last edited:

Fbh

At least the approach they want to take doesn't sound bad. With good production values it could be fun.

Not really sure why Sony is going for a Bloodborne adaptation though. TLOU I get because it's one of the their main franchises, but they've shown little to no interest in Bloodborne after launch. They won't even release a next gen patch.
Hopefully this means they are actually interested in doing more with franchise on the gaming side.

Well, smart guy, if we take TLOU TV show as an example, Druckmann, a video game director, is working on it and writing scripts. How is that not taking him away from game dev? Same will happen with Bloodborne.

Druckmann has no time for games?
Damn so this show thing is actually GOOD for games. Keep them coming Sony!!

Also I don't see how the same will happen with Bloodborne. Miyazaki, who doesn't work for Sony, isn't going to drop his work on Elden Ring for this.

Kokoloko85

I normally hate the idea of video games on TV/ movies. But out of all the tv and movies. This I am interested in. Especially if its done by HBO.

A series about the lore/ prequel would be awesome

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
What the hell is Sony doing

i want games - NOT movies/tvseries based on games

Facepalm.jpg

So fucking stupid. I hate that they're persisting with this shit. Who asked for this? We want games not TV programmes.

Sony has been making movies and shows longer than PlayStation has been around. It's a different department of the company that sees how much people like the games and wants to cash in on that popularity.

skit_data

I love these games but I don’t think they will work as TV-shows.

Part of the story is that mystery, like having pages torn out of a book and then hearing fragments of them in different places by different narrators.

They can’t simply cast a mute protagonist that meets mysterious NPCs like Eileen or the Church dweller every now and then, fights a boss and then goes back to the Hunters dream only to see Gehrman violate the doll (oh yes, we all know what he meant by ”using the doll”). The whole atmosphere would be very hard to translate into a TV-show.

Last edited:

Three

Why is there always talk of some show based on some Sony game but I've yet to actually see anything at all ever?

MrS

Banned
Sony has been making movies and shows longer than PlayStation has been around. It's a different department of the company that sees how much people like the games and wants to cash in on that popularity.
They are clueless as to the reasons we enjoy games, then.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
They are clueless as to the reasons we enjoy games, then.
Sometimes Sony Pictures can stumble into gold. Comic book movies and TV shows were treated as the same joke until Blade and Spiderman both became big.

Bro, that's a good thing.

Unless you want more of Ellie finger-banging Dina. Remember Ellie can't play the guitar cause she lost a few fingers so what do you think she's going to play with?

giphy.gif

MrS

Banned
Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
This rumor is bullshit, I mean, an unknown site with no trackrecord? Yeah, it's not happening.

The same applies to the baseless rumors about the Demon's Souls and Horizon: Zero Dawn movies.

Holammer

Is the site a good source? Never heard of it, there's a very small footprint for the site and their twitter account is not verified.
Could be a site trying to build a reputation on "leaks" that cannot be independently verified and have to be taken with a pinch of salt. Since it's allegedly in early development, there's a perfect excuse: "Oh the project fell through" if anything fails to materialize.
With a rabid Bloodborne fanbase, the news will spread everywhere. A perfect subject to expand your fake-news brand on. If you know what I'm sayin'.

Last edited:

Metnut

The fact that they are willing to invest like this in the IP makes the likelihood of a sequel a near certainty.

Exciting stuff!

Top Bottom