• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: iPad 3 in March with retina display, quad core chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobor

Sales expectations for non-Apple tablets are higher this year than 2011 from all the analysts I've read. More Android tablets, and some Win 8 ones as well.

Part of the issue though is that iPad is targeting a certain pricepoint ... it's unclear how many non-Apple tablets will be targeting that price and higher. Obviously the more targeting a higher price, the more competition, etc. pushing more powerful specs.

Really my point though is the contention that the A6 will automatically beat everything just seems silly. Are you actually arguing that Apple's SoC design is so far beyond everyone else's that they simply can't even compete? History shows that's quite unlikely.

Sales for non Apple tablets will be higher this year...in the low end. Most of us believe they'll be competing against a new iPad 3 as well as a price reduced 2. I don't see how anyone but Amazon makes headway against that.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Do you think the new tablet will keep the Apple structure of releasing at $500 or do you think maybe with this new retina display they might try and go for a higher initial asking price?

I could see them pushing this up to $600 for the starter version, and then they could just sell the iPad 2 on the low end.

What's the deal with manufacturing though? I mean I know they kept the 3gs around as a cheap phone, but I thought they only did they to get people into the ecosystem and to clear out all of their stock right? I mean they aren't still making 3gs phones are they?

I ask this because I wonder if they try and sell a discounted iPad 2 will they keep the product on the market until the iPad 4 or will they just keep it around until they clear out all of their stock? I could see if they keep it around then selling the iPad 3 for say $600 and the iPad 2 for $400. If it's option 2 IDK what they'd do. $600 and $400 would be nice, but once iPad 2s existing stock is cleared then the $600 price for the iPad 3 might seem high or needing to be adjusted. That's something Apple doesn't do though outside of when they launch new models.

Call me crazy with all of the cheap new Android tabs that we could get this year with ICS and they could even be a better than the iPad 2 though not close to the iPad 3. Yet I'd easily pick up an iPad 2 instead provided Apple prices it how I'd prefer it. Somehow I doubt that'll happen though as I'd love to see a $250-$300 iPad 2 and I doubt Apple will go any lower than say $350.

I'm thinking $400 for the iPad 2, but that's with my mind saying the iPad 3 would be $600. If it's $500 (dang that's ZOMG awesome) then I'm not quite sure Apple could get away selling the iPad 2 for $350-$400. They might need to sell it for $300 or else I could see people just buying the iPad 3. At any rate a cheap iPad 2 would help the "lower" end market and IMO negate the need for Apple to go and try and make the "cheaper"
7" tablet always rumored about.

On a side note is anyone worried about the iPad 3 fractioning the iOS market more with the increased processing power as well as another resolution to account for? Am I crazy on this?

This thread has confirmed one thing: I fucking hate Apple fanboys.

And Android users acting superior for not using an Apple product are any better? Both sides have their fair share of assholish and annoying fans, and also rational fans.

And when I get this (if my tax return has enough left after paying off debt), I will bequeath my iPad 1 to my wife. It will basically be her digital textbook aside from her Nook Color.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
And Android users acting superior for not using an Apple product are any better? Both sides have their fair share of assholish and annoying fans, and also rational fans.

Oh, trust me, I will not argue that. Android fanboys can be just as intolerable. Maybe it just boils down to: fanboys are fucking annoying. I'm interested in seeing what both camps can offer.

Because comments like "CES tablets are now obsolete!" Are super dumb and annoying. Don't take it so personally.

I am not taking it personally, it just seemed pointless and stupid and posted for no other reason than to piss people off. I am just more annoyed at how ridiculous the statement was.

You seem to be well-versed in super dumb and annoying posts.

Thank you for saying it for many of us.

Im kinda expecting apple to start raising the prices of ipads with ipad 3

I dont think they will. I think they have people pretty locked into expecting the $499 price for the base model. To suddenly spike it when you have so many more competitors entering and much lower price points, it doesnt make sense.

I would find a 128GB model more likely than a price increase on the base model. If anything gets a price increase, it will be the LTE option (if true) that gets a price jump.

kehs

Banned
I can't wait until they unveil the ipad3 itouch Large as a seven incher with stylus.

It's going to be a great thread.

Vanillalite

I dont think they will. I think they have people pretty locked into expecting the $499 price for the base model. To suddenly spike it when you have so many more competitors entering and much lower price points, it doesnt make sense.

I would find a 128GB model more likely than a price increase on the base model. If anything gets a price increase, it will be the LTE option (if true) that gets a price jump.

Key with the price spike IMO would be that it's in conjunction with them continuing to sell the previous model at a cheaper price point.

Key with the price spike IMO would be that it's in conjunction with them continuing to sell the previous model at a cheaper price point.

If they drop the price of the iPad 2, but make the iPad 3 higher than $499 for the base model, I would be shocked. Keeping the iPad 2 around but at a lower price would not be a surprise. Just see what they do with the iPhone each year. The new model keeps coming in at the same $199 on contract, while last year's model drops in price.

Vanillalite

If they drop the price of the iPad 2, but make the iPad 3 higher than $499 for the base model, I would be shocked. Keeping the iPad 2 around but at a lower price would not be a surprise. Just see what they do with the iPhone each year. The new model keeps coming in at the same $199 on contract, while last year's model drops in price.

Does Apple keep making the old model though to sell or do they just try and clear stock on what's already made?

Tobor

When the rumors broke that they were going to double the resolution of the iPhone, there was speculation they would raise the price. Didn't happen, and it don't think it will now.

kehs

Banned
When the rumors broke that they were going to double the resolution of the iPhone, there was speculation they would raise the price. Didn't happen, and it don't think it will now.

They made up the cost difference by not doing bothering to design a new phone.

Raistlin

Sales for non Apple tablets will be higher this year...in the low end. Most of us believe they'll be competing against a new iPad 3 as well as a price reduced 2. I don't see how anyone but Amazon makes headway against that.

Thanks for not addressing the central point :p

Synless

The biggest issue this has is that Apple hasn't really introduced any official gaming accessories for the iOS line when really they should. That's the secret sauce missing in them REALLY being a strong gaming platform. You can't depend on touch and accelerometer for all your gaming use cases.

All I want is a nice sized official Bluetooth controller for the iPad. Many of you disagree with me, but I think it would make one hell of an impact in making it a top tier gaming device.

Vanillalite

With the amount of iPhone 3GSs sold each quarter, they have to be manufacturing more.

I wonder how that goes for them. Seeing as the 3GS is basically free that while I know Apple gets the AT&T kickback I wonder just how much it costs to make a 3GS since Apple likes to make money on hardware and not just on the back end with software.

Also makes me wonder just how cheap if they go this route it would be to manufacture an iPad 2 at this point. Would help us better gauge how much Apple would price drop it to.

I wonder how that goes for them. Seeing as the 3GS is basically free that while I know Apple gets the AT&T kickback I wonder just how much it costs to make a 3GS since Apple likes to make money on hardware and not just on the back end with software.

Also makes me wonder just how cheap if they go this route it would be to manufacture an iPad 2 at this point. Would help us better gauge how much Apple would price drop it to.

If the iPad 2 sticks around, it will drop to $400. If it drops to $300 that would be a very ballsy move, and put major hurt on other tablet vendors.

Do you think the new tablet will keep the Apple structure of releasing at $500 or do you think maybe with this new retina display they might try and go for a higher initial asking price?

I could see them pushing this up to $600 for the starter version, and then they could just sell the iPad 2 on the low end.

What's the deal with manufacturing though? I mean I know they kept the 3gs around as a cheap phone, but I thought they only did they to get people into the ecosystem and to clear out all of their stock right? I mean they aren't still making 3gs phones are they?

I ask this because I wonder if they try and sell a discounted iPad 2 will they keep the product on the market until the iPad 4 or will they just keep it around until they clear out all of their stock? I could see if they keep it around then selling the iPad 3 for say $600 and the iPad 2 for $400. If it's option 2 IDK what they'd do. $600 and $400 would be nice, but once iPad 2s existing stock is cleared then the $600 price for the iPad 3 might seem high or needing to be adjusted. That's something Apple doesn't do though outside of when they launch new models.

Call me crazy with all of the cheap new Android tabs that we could get this year with ICS and they could even be a better than the iPad 2 though not close to the iPad 3. Yet I'd easily pick up an iPad 2 instead provided Apple prices it how I'd prefer it. Somehow I doubt that'll happen though as I'd love to see a $250-$300 iPad 2 and I doubt Apple will go any lower than say $350.

I'm thinking $400 for the iPad 2, but that's with my mind saying the iPad 3 would be $600. If it's $500 (dang that's ZOMG awesome) then I'm not quite sure Apple could get away selling the iPad 2 for $350-$400. They might need to sell it for $300 or else I could see people just buying the iPad 3. At any rate a cheap iPad 2 would help the "lower" end market and IMO negate the need for Apple to go and try and make the "cheaper"
7" tablet always rumored about.

On a side note is anyone worried about the iPad 3 fractioning the iOS market more with the increased processing power as well as another resolution to account for? Am I crazy on this?

i think they will continue at $500 for the iPad 3 entry level model, iPad 2 will continue and drop to $300, I don't think Apple wants a 7" tablet tbh

Day. Fucking. One.

Been waiting so long for this. Held off on the iPad 2, and it was painful. (bought and returned it like 3 times to get my fix). I'll probably get the 3 whatever the fuck it ends up being- but a quad core and retina? Fuck me. Apple will again show why they're dominating the market. The specs are meerly icing. OS, tablet optimized ecosystem, and industrial design is what utterly destroys all other tablets out there, by a massive margin.

I was an apple hater until I got an iphone. Now I have a macbook air, apple tv, and soon an ipad. :)

That's pretty much how it goes for anyone. I've never met an Apple hater, online or offline, who actually owns/uses Apple products. They hate Apple by some principle.. or something. It's as irrational as you can get. The only way I would actively 'hate' an electronics company is if I bought and got burned by several of their products that were complete trash. I can't see any significant percentage of Apple haters falling under that category. They usually pride themselves on never having touched an Apple product in their lives, or something along those lines. Bravo.

isnt the a5 800mhz x2? the touchpad gets up to 1.7ghz x2 pretty comfortably. i dont think theres a way to fairly compare the two bench wise but on clock alone id doubt any level of superior architecture could make up for a discrepancy that large.

The Touchpad? LOL. Case in point. The thing performs like utter and complete shit next to the iPad 2. I know, I have one. Shows you why #s and specs mean nothing. The thing literally feels like molasses next to the buttered silk experience of the iPad 2. It's not even comparable. The responsiveness is night and day. And I'm pretty sure the iPad 2 GPU destroys that of the touchpads technically. It massively outperforms most other tablets out there. I've yet to see anything even close to Infinity Blade 2, Real Racing 2, etc. on competing tablets. If rumors about the A6 and next gen PowerVR GPU are true, the iPad3 will be an ultra-efficient monster.

Sarcasm

The Touchpad? LOL. Case in point. The thing performs like utter and complete shit next to the iPad 2. I know, I have one. Shows you why #s and specs mean nothing. The thing literally feels like molasses next to the buttered silk experience of the iPad 2. It's not even comparable. The responsiveness is night and day. And I'm pretty sure the iPad 2 GPU destroys that of the touchpads technically. It massively outperforms most other tablets out there. I've yet to see anything even close to Infinity Blade 2, Real Racing 2, etc. on competing tablets. If rumors about the A6 and next gen PowerVR GPU are true, the iPad3 will be an ultra-efficient monster.

I think more like how OS and hardware do matter. The ipad/iphones cores are 1ghz, but are under-clocked to 800mhz.

Don't know why he used touchpad, bad example regardless.

That's pretty much how it goes for anyone. I've never met an Apple hater, online or offline, who actually owns/uses Apple products.

You must not know all that many people. Perhaps one quarter of the students enrolled in my degree hate apple, but are required to use Apple products frequently for their coursework, and many own their products for one reason or another. Generalizations, ahoy.

Rookje

What I really want to do is: what is the weight of the thing? Width?

I really wish my iPad was thinner and lighter (though I do have an iPad 1).

sfedai0

Banned
This ipad will dictate whether I join the Apple ecosystem, or Android because I havent decided on a smartphone either. If it has the right form factor, processor speed and resolution is best in class, then I will join the Apple camp.

Phoenix

This. Apple does not generally raise price points once they've established one. They tend to deal with any 'increase' with efficiencies in the manufacturing chain.

Zaptruder

Banned
I think... of all the major religions, been an Apple Fan has got to be one of the more fufilling ones to be in.

I mean... their proverbial God regularly releases pretty cool shit.

noah111

Still Alive
All I want is retina display, even if it makes it a bit thicker. Great camera would be cool, too, and might actually make people use the iPad as a camera more... especially due to the editing (snap speed etc).

CiSTM

Banned
I wonder if this is going to stay in same price range as Ipad 2. If the cheapest model will be something like $699 or even $599 then I will stick with my Ipad 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom