• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: PS5 official says PS5 event for this month is 'tentative' (Analyst expects $500/$400 price point)

Honestly its a bit of a piss take asking $100 more for a disc drive.. unless it has ps 1-3 disc BC.

I'm all digital and ive got a stand alone 4k player so if its that much difference I'd rather put it towards more memory.

They are making the digital edition 100$ cheaper not because of the price of the drive but because you are locked into buying from the store only and removes the ability to resell games/play used games. Its really not that complicated. The price of a UHD drive has nothing to do with it.

Hostile_18

Banned
They are making the digital edition 100$ cheaper not because of the price of the drive but because you are locked into buying from the store only and removes the ability to resell games/play used games. Its really not that complicated. The price of a UHD drive has nothing to do with it.

I know that. But looking at it outside of a business context and as a forward facing consumer proposition its not that great for those that want/need a drive. Its not exactly the best way to start a multi year relationship with a consumer, with them feeling ripped off.

If the prices are accurate, i'm getting the PS5 digital edition. For $399 it should be more than enough.

Can't see myself getting the disc version for $499 and if i did, it would only be for the added ability to play 4K bluray movies.

I'm not buying disc games anymore.

Last edited:
It was revenue, and no they are not in "survival mode".... Honestly, calm yourself down and think logically. They probably don't show numbers anymore because people like you go full on conspiracy mode. "Xbox is dead", meanwhile they are literally building new consoles and preparing for a 4th generation :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Xbox is doing fine as reported millions of times and 4 consoles later. It has the full backing of the MS ceo, they just bought 7 fucking game studios and said they are willing to buy MORE. I think you're the one in survival mode trying your hardest to take shots at a plastic box and a company you literally have ZERO stake in.

It's just weird man.
Gotta say i agree with this and i'm a Sony fan first and foremost.

Xbox is in no way in danger or survival mode. That's just ridiculous. It's just Sony's success makes it seem that way.

mortal

Gold Member
Digital edition is going to sell like hotcakes.

I'm still going with the disk drive because I like having the option, even though most of my library is digital at this point.

nowhat

I'm still going with the disk drive because I like having the option, even though most of my library is digital at this point.
I'll go with the disc version as well, because while I've bought mostly digital this gen, there's the 4K BluRay option.

(...and for the record, I've used a PS4 to play a BluRay once. But hey, at least the option is there.)

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
All I need is an official price and pre-order date announcement.

I'm not going to even begin to fool myself. Want to know the price, I need a pre-order date regardless. I'll be pre-ordering either way. Even if I say no at first,.. it's just too much.. I'll have one pre-ordered the moment it's possible. I have a small library of disc games, but if the all digital is $100 cheaper, I'll likely go all digital and use the savings toward the expanded storage I know I'll want to or have to buy.

Saberus

I know that. But looking at it outside of a business context and as a forward facing consumer proposition its not that great for those that want/need a drive. Its not exactly the best way to start a multi year relationship with a consumer, with them feeling ripped off.
Ripped off?? oh come on now.. you will be getting a machine very little markup, maybe even at a loss.. can't imagine feeling ripped off at 499 for either xbox or Sony for the tech inside, I paid over $600 for my Oppo 4K BR, so I don't see the ripped off part.

Hostile_18

Banned
Ripped off?? oh come on now.. you will be getting a machine very little markup, maybe even at a loss.. can't imagine feeling ripped off at 499 for either xbox or Sony for the tech inside, I paid over $600 for my Oppo 4K BR, so I don't see the ripped off part.

Well not in terms of the overall package (that's great value) but having an optional extra that costs a $100 dollars. It has to feel justifiable to the mass market regardless of all the business reasons behind it.

If i had a physical PS4 collection i would begrudge been "forced" to pay that kind of premium.

At this point its still all speculation. I don't believe the difference will be that much at all personally. 😊

Last edited:
Given that physical media will have a audio/video performance advantage to streaming media for the foreseeable future I wonder if we will see a spike in the popularity of 4k Bluray. 4K TV market penetration will accelerate drastically again around Black Friday and there wont be a better way to show off your 4K TV than with Native 4K media. Which, still today is few and far in between.

Xdrive05

DE would be massively tempting at that price! But I never had a PS4, so I’d like the option to pick up 2nd hand PS4 games some day for dirt cheap and finally work through the PS4 library I never had. That’s got to be worth the $100 right there.

$500 / $400 pricing is the right strategy. I never expected the PS5 to be more than $499 max. But also thought $499 might be the new $399 in 2013.

Having a $399 digital-only model with no blu-ray disc drive is smart. They can't play used PS4 games, but they can add their digital library and buy new PS4 / PS5 games.

This will counter Lockhart. Sony can argue that it's less expensive SKU for the mainstream still plays next generation PS5 games at the same quality and resolution, unlike Lockhart playing Series X games.

I would also imagine the $399 digital model will get an official 1.6 TB SSD upgrade in 2021/2022.

Ozzie666

With Sony's recent digital profits announced, I'd not be at all surprised if they are ruthless and cutthroat with the price of the digital only console. they will be willing to take much more of a loss, because they know they will get it back 10 fold over 5 years. I think $399 is assured for the DE version as a high price, I''d not at all be shocked to see $349.

One thing that has changed if true, is Microsoft removing paywall requirements for online gaming. If this is true, I don't see how Sony could continue to charge for online either. Sony's PSN is nowhere near GamePass value. So maybe there is something they can add.

I'd prefer a disc version. I would feel a bit trapped without it.

Iced Arcade

I don't see Sony having a higher price tag for weaker hardware that the series x. Also don't see either of them charging 100 less for a diskless version.

I hope the both have price wars and consumers reap the benefits on both sides.

Gotta say i agree with this and i'm a Sony fan first and foremost.

Xbox is in no way in danger or survival mode. That's just ridiculous. It's just Sony's success makes it seem that way.

I think there is an interesting question here. Yes, XGS has recently acquired a number of studios, but are customers going to flock to them based on the potential of Game Pass? Will their current customers even stick around for years until their studios are finally ready to release their work? I think their recent showcase demonstrates that they are headed into this console cycle without being very prepared. We are not going to really know the full software lineup for either console for perhaps a month more, but I do not think these two competitors are very close when it comes to next generation titles that are likely to appear within the first year. I do recall Phil Spencer recently pushing a narrative with the claim that a generational break is somehow anti-consumer, which just seems disingenuous and self serving. And how much will a cheaper console matter when the software is lackluster compared to the competition?

In one corner of the ring we have a fighter who is the world champion and coming into the match hungry and ready to go. He dances around the ring, throwing faux pushes, kicks, etc. and the speed is just astonishing. The other is pretty damn big, but looks like he is terribly out of shape; his cornerman recently quit and has been replaced by an abusive alcoholic relative. He stumbles into the arena, shouts some bluster at the crowd, and insults his opponent. Most of the audience expects a knockout in the first round.

Survival mode starts after reality sinks in and the gaming division is faced with crossing the valley of death. Usually, the ones who make it to the other side have lost considerable weight and look like they have been through an ordeal. After it all, perhaps Mr. Spencer will insist that this trip was planned all along, that everything went really well, and just wait until E3 when everyone is just going to be completely blown away....

Arkam

Enjoying everyone's take on this rumor. Can see the "half full" vs the "half empty" crowd lol. Half full are excited by the Discless price and the half empty feel they are being screwed by the disc price (relative to the diskless). Not sure anyone is really wrong, but damn if it it ain't entertaining! Assuming LockHart is a thing I think Sony NEEDS that big gap in price (in addition to other reasons) so they can ALSO point to two different price/customer..... but say "not gimped' to justify the price over Lockhart.

Esca

I'm going to get the disc version even though I've switched mostly over to digital in the last year. I still have a ton of disc's if it's backwards compatible I'm

cormack12

Gold Member
WELL LOOK AT THE BIG BRAIN ON BRAD.. SOUNDS LIKE A PURE PLAYSTATION FANBOY. LMAO

I CANT WAIT TILL XBOX CRUSHES YOUR LITTLE PS5 AND I COMEBACK HERE AND TELL YOU TO SK MY BIG BALLS> CHOKE ON THEM BOY

Same here guys! I am older gamer and loving it.

200.gif

Redlancet

Banned
With next gen and Jim Ryan downplaying having the lowest price and Phil saying they won't be the most expensive, MS will probably take a loss a $399 because they want people in the ecosystem and GamePass subs are more important to them than any sort of console loss at launch; especially since in the digital age when game attach ratios at retail are worthless.

Meaning we'll probably see:

PS5 Disc: $499
XSX: $399
PS5 DE: $399
Lockhart: $299
You people act like Microsoft its a ong, no they wont take a loss

With next gen and Jim Ryan downplaying having the lowest price and Phil saying they won't be the most expensive, MS will probably take a loss a $399 because they want people in the ecosystem and GamePass subs are more important to them than any sort of console loss at launch; especially since in the digital age when game attach ratios at retail are worthless.

We will see, Internet forums had been 0/4 when it comes to predicting Xbox hardware launch prices. As in every time someone suggest MS would pricier hardware cheaply, they get disappointed. MS is happy to discount software, but we have yet to see Ms actually selling hardware for cheap.
We are not even sure Lockhart would even exist.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Gamer card revoked.

I'll return it once you apologize and address how absolutely crazy you sound.

The issue isn't going digital. The issue is that taking the disc reader out means losing the multimedia function, and that is worth more to the user than the measely 15 dollar manufacture savings.

If going digital is inevitable, then there is no reason to take the disc reader out early; the only reason to offer a digital console is to benefit the manufacturer.

And something we noticed with selling things; people don't give a shit what manufacturers like, people want what THEY like. The attempt to make Digital only consoles is to kill off used games early, there is exactly zero benefit to the consumer. There is a reason Xbox has killed the Xbox SAD.

The day no one buy used games anymore, is the day the disc reader become useless. But doing this any sooner does not benefit the customer in any way.

supernova8

Banned
Source: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...rofit-estimates-plans-100-billion-yen-buyback

An official at the PlayStation unit, who asked not to be identified because the plan is not yet public, said Sony’s next announcement regarding the PlayStation 5 is tentatively scheduled for this month. The company intends to release two versions of the console, one with a Blu-ray disc drive and one without, though it has yet to disclose the pricing for either model.

“I think the core of Sony PlayStation early-adopters will snap up the first several million units quickly,” said Macquarie Capital analyst Damian Thong. “With backward compatibility, their existing game library will work with the new console, so the new machine would be usable right away.”

Thong said he expects the standard PlayStation 5 unit would be priced at $500 and the disc drive-less version would be sold for $400. Altogether, he said, Sony would sell more than 6 million units of the PlayStation 5 consoles by the end of March next year.

Maybe it's just me but... this Damian Thong guy is mostly saying stuff that anybody could say without really doing a whole lot of actual research.

(1) Early adopters will but the early units - no shit sherlock
(2) Discless version will be cheaper - no shit sherlock
(3) 6 million units.... hmm that's just pulling a number out of your arse.

$100 for a disc drive?!
Compensation for a loss of a disc drive. Imagine if I take air conditioning out of your car, your car would be far less desirable to drive, beyond the financial cost of the air conditioning components.
If Sony only discount the price of the removed hardware, literally no one would buy it.

ZywyPL

Banned
There is no value in going digital only, like zero, especially if you're from a poor country.

Having a game already installed and ready to play on day 1, or should I say hour 0, is already a huge benefit for many. Games being always attached to your profile and ready to re-download, even after hardware change, is also another one. There are tons of benefits with going digital only, just ask hundreds of millions of PC gamers. Living in a poor country is a lame excuse, 60$ is 60$ no matter the version, you can always wait for sales to get the games dirty cheap.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Locking yourself into paying the extortionate PS Store prices is insane to me.

There are sales year round. Within the first twelve months of launch you can get any game at half the price.

If you're a physical media collector? I get. If you're broke and you need to sell games to buy games? I get it. Otherwise it's just a waste of time and space.

PC has been pretty much full on digital platform for years for good reason.

$100 for a disc drive?!
More like a $100 discount to lock you into buying digitally. Digital only means they dont have to worry about you contributing to the resale market, and means you're significantly more likely to buy from the Playstation Store (which they get a larger cut from).

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Compensation for a loss of a disc drive. Imagine if I take air conditioning out of your car, your car would be far less desirable to drive, beyond the financial cost of the air conditioning components.
If Sony only discount the price of the removed hardware, literally no one would buy it.

I know what you’re going foe but, some don’t see the drive as desirable If they want to go all digital. Some may elect to keep their PS4 for older library titles and go all digital on any recent or coming titles leading to launch.

They may also trade their PS4 in for. Is and buy back used later or even re-purchase games digitally when they’re cheap later.

Im considering these options depending on price difference in models because I can use that money towards additional storage.

Azurro

Banned

Lockhart only being $100 off is ridiculous, there's not enough price differentiation. There will be at least $200 difference between Lockhart and Series X.

As you said, MS only wants people in the ecosystem, so Series X Is not that important, it's only their PR box. They won't care who buys what as long as they can get a Gamepass sub out of it, so they will push Lockhart hard as the cheaper, mass market option.

Lockhart will be $299 and XSX will be $499.

Last edited:
I know what you’re going foe but, some don’t see the drive as desirable If they want to go all digital. Some may elect to keep their PS4 for older library titles and go all digital on any recent or coming titles leading to launch.

They may also trade their PS4 in for. Is and buy back used later or even re-purchase games digitally when they’re cheap later.

Im considering these options depending on price difference in models because I can use that money towards additional storage.
Why would the existence of the disc reader be a negative? The cost of production is 15, 20 dollars at best. Would you bother saving 20 dollars to lose its multimedia and backwards compatibility capabilities? No one is forcing you to use the disc reader, you can go all digital on a traditional console already.

The only person benefiting from you buying an all-digital PS5, is Sony. You will lose the option of buying 2nd hand games. Doesn't matter that you never planned to buy 2nd hand games, the option is removed. Your only benefit is 20 dollars.

That is why there is a need to cut 100 dollars from the price. This is an acknowledgement that losing the disc reader makes the console worse. If you deny this, you end up with Xbox SAD that no one wanted to buy.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I'll go with the disc version as well, because while I've bought mostly digital this gen, there's the 4K BluRay option.

(...and for the record, I've used a PS4 to play a BluRay once. But hey, at least the option is there.)

I'm going digital since I have a separate 4K Bluray player. Plus I'm starting to use PSNow more (downloading the games, I'm not streaming them) and I'm finding out that with my backlog I can't afford to have games just laying around anymore.

The only person benefiting from you buying an all-digital PS5, is Sony. You will lose the option of buying 2nd hand games. Doesn't matter that you never planned to buy 2nd hand games, the option is removed. Your only benefit is 20 dollars.

That is why there is a need to cut 100 dollars from the price. This is an acknowledgement that losing the disc reader makes the console worse. If you deny this, you end up with Xbox SAD that no one wanted to buy.

Nah man. Not true. I realized that I don't buy or use 2nd hand games anymore with the existence of PSNow and PS+ game sales. But I agree with you that the console needs to be AT LEAST $50 cheaper. But it should be $100 cheaper to get the full benefit for the consumer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom