• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg Rumor: New Rock Band Coming For Next-Gen Consoles

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Yes please!!!

(As long as I can transfer all my DLC from the 360 version)

ghibli99

If there's a way that I'll be able to keep my Ion drum kit going into this gen (and keep my embarrassingly vast DLC library intact too), I'm all for it! I was hoping for this ever since Harmonix sent out that survey... last year, was it?

18-Volt

Rocksmith and RB aren't the same style of game and co-exist quite nicely.

That's like saying you can't have Call of Duty because Arma III exists.

Hey, wasn't it Harmonix who tried to sell me a actual junior guitar for their last Rock Band game? If they'll try to continue where they left off with "Guitar teaching software" trend, then I'm not sure if they can compete with Ubisoft.

They need to return to basics.

Rembrandt

Banned
yeah, fuck it, I'll addicted again. It has its place in each gen, tbh. they're perfect party games that you can actually play by yourself.

Hey, wasn't it Harmonix who tried to sell me a actual junior guitar for their last Rock Band game? If they'll try to continue where they left off with "Guitar teaching software" trend, then I'm not sure if they can compete with Ubisoft.

They never left the basics. The pro stuff was all optional.

ElNino

Actually, I think it was Rocksmith who bundled the junior Epiphone guitar. Rock Band had two "pro" guitars though, the plastic Fender Mustang replica with buttons and the Squier Strat guitar with strings.

This I agree with though. Rock Band was my most played game for several years, and that was because of the terrific song library and that it allowed me to be a (make believe) rock star.

18-Volt

Actually, I think it was Rocksmith who bundled the junior Epiphone guitar. Rock Band had two "pro" guitars though, the plastic Fender Mustang replica with buttons and the Squier Strat guitar with strings.

Yes but you had to buy a "pro" controller or a midi guitar. Rocksmith works with all kinds of electric guitars. I ended up buying that Pro controller for RB3 and now it's completely useless.

All I want from them is to ditch that pro stuff and keyboard and make a good old school rhythm game playable with our old plastic instruments.

ElNino

Yes but you had to buy a "pro" controller or a midi guitar. Rocksmith works with all kinds of electric guitars. I ended up buying that Pro controller for RB3 and now it's completely useless.

All I want from them is to ditch that pro stuff and keyboard and make a good old school rhythm game playable with our old plastic instruments.
Sure, if you wanted the "pro" experience then you needed to buy one of those options. They were optional though and the normal game experience was still the main focus of the game, along with adding keyboard.

Synesthesia

Neo Member
Might be related: Penny Arcade released the details of the new pins for PAX East, and there is an unannounced one from harmonix, indicating something they will announce there..

http://penny-arcade.com/news/post/2015/02/18/pax-east-pins

I wouldnt be surprised to find out if it was Amplitude related, since they're shooting for a summer launch, I can see them having something big planned for PAX to drum up as much publicity as they can.

I really hope that if a current gen RB exists you can bring the DLC from 360->PS4 and PS3->X1.

I would rather not re spend hundreds of dollars to be able to play them again.

Qwark

I really hope that if a current gen RB exists you can bring the DLC from 360->PS4 and PS3->X1.

Haha, Sony or Microsoft allowing imports from their competitors, good joke.

Sorry, really don't see that happening. Probably going to have to start your library over...

Haha, Sony or Microsoft allowing imports from their competitors, good joke.

Sorry, really don't see that happening. Probably going to have to start your library over...
I mean didn't GTA V current gen ports also profile transfers from the last gen competitors console?

Doesn't seem too farfetched.

I'm hoping so much that this happens. Myself and all my friends moved to ps4 from 360.

All they would have to do is make a Harmonix account like Rockstar did for GTAV and store which songs you bought on last gen and then make them available on current gen.

Choomp

Banned
Ooh idk if this is a good idea. Seemed like that craze was popular for a short time that everyone gave that stuff back. I don't think plastic instruments would have that much appeal at this point.

Com_Raven

I wouldnt be surprised to find out if it was Amplitude related, since they're shooting for a summer launch, I can see them having something big planned for PAX to drum up as much publicity as they can.

Could be, but why would they keep the pin "under wraps", if it was related to an already announced game that will be out soon.

Hellraider

I would literally shed tears of happiness if a pc version that is backwards compatible with 360 instruments gets announced.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
AYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

if it were amplitude related, wouldn't they just show it? Nick chester from HMX posted here and said he has seen the pin already, but has not acknowledged what it was.

Trogdor1123

I want new Instruments with better range and connect directly to the consoles.

I don't care about the DLC I only had a few dozen but I can see how people feel that way though.

Brofield

See, I'd want to get it on Wii U, but that would involve rebuying all my DLC since I moved to 360, and that was expensive enough.

Honestly, I'll just get it on 360 and keep it around as a party game machine. Rock Band is still fun in small doses now and then, but I don't see myself getting as into it as I was back in the heyday of GH3/RB1

The rumour itself though I'm not surprised by. Harmonix has been getting more active on Twitter and Facebook as of late and been posting links to surveys to be used internally.

J-Rzez

Would consider if, and only if, I could have all my prior music from disc and dlc, and the game launches with a lot (measured in epic fucktons) of tracks.

AlexBasch

OH MY FUCKING GOD, BRING IT. I'M GETTING AN XBOX ONE IF THIS DOESN'T COME TO 360. DO IT HMX. DO IT.

I stil love Rock Band after all these years, and even more, now that I'm attempting to be a drummer after playing the plastic ones since 3, was more of a mic/guitar player.

Sure, I lack the basic drum musical knowledge, but I'm having a lot of fun and I wouldn't have played drums in the first place if it wasn't for RB. :')

OH MY FUCKING GOD, BRING IT. I'M GETTING AN XBOX ONE IF THIS DOESN'T COME TO 360. DO IT HMX. DO IT.

I stil love Rock Band after all these years, and even more, now that I'm attempting to be a drummer after playing the plastic ones since 3, was more of a mic/guitar player.

Sure, I lack the basic drum musical knowledge, but I'm having a lot of fun and I wouldn't have played drums in the first place if it wasn't for RB. :')

If you're into drums, the one and only way to play is to get a real electronic kit and one of their MIDI adapters. It's amazing

Considering most of the instruments out there are for Wii, not having a wii u version would be idiotic.

Almost as idiotic as not having a Wii version the first time around

Oh wait...

SFenton

Considering most of the instruments out there are for Wii, not having a wii u version would be idiotic.

Almost as idiotic as not having a Wii version the first time around

Oh wait...

Again, most of those players bailed even before Rock Band 3 came out. Wii U base is extremely low. Next to no one is playing Rock Band on Wii.

Why put the money into developing an engine (or outsourcing, as they've always done for Wii) and licensing when the game simply won't sell?

Hell, besides Skylanders/Infinity, what high-profile games even come out for Wii anymore (let alone Wii U)?

Again, most of those players bailed even before Rock Band 3 came out. Wii U base is extremely low. Next to no one is playing Rock Band on Wii.

Why put the money into developing an engine (or outsourcing, as they've always done for Wii) and licensing when the game simply won't sell?

Hell, besides Skylanders/Infinity, what high-profile games even come out for Wii anymore (let alone Wii U)?

Nobody wants to buy their instruments again.

You say most players bailed to 360. Uh no, sales say otherwise.

Look at total instrument sales, not just rb branded ones. Wii was the undisputed music game champion. Harmonix was blind to that last time, which is why their game was always a distant second. Are they really going to make the same mistake again?

While it may be in my wildest dreams, the biggest selling point for me would be if there was any way to transfer DLC across manufacturers. I had hundreds of dollars in DLC for the 360, but I have no plans of getting an Xbox One. If I could tie my XBL account and my PSN account to a single Harmonix account, and then get my DLC on the PS4, I would buy this game and new peripherals in an instant.

If ALL of my DLC doesn't come over from Xbox360 --> PS4, then no fuckin deal, at all, ever. They promised a platform, and if they don't deliver, they don't get any more money from me.

AlexBasch

If you're into drums, the one and only way to play is to get a real electronic kit and one of their MIDI adapters. It's amazing
Yeah! I'm looking into that.

Seriously, the only reason I got the drums originally back in 2007 and then the RB2 ones was because my brother always wanted to play them, I had both the mic and the guitar. But ever since 2010-1 I started playing them more seriously and apparently I'm learning the gripes of them in an actual band. :O I only play them in a borrowed kit, but I'd like to have something for my place instead.

/off topic, sorry :3

Nobody wants to buy their instruments again.

You say most players bailed to 360. Uh no, sales say otherwise.

Look at total instrument sales, not just rb branded ones. Wii was the undisputed music game champion. Harmonix was blind to that last time, which is why their game was always a distant second. Are they really going to make the same mistake again?

Who cares if a bunch of people bought it on Wii? A fraction of those people own a WiiU and casuals seem to not even know said system exists. Now, I'm not saying that a WiiU version couldn't be profitable (though most third party publishers seem to think so), but would it be a "mistake" to not release that SKU? I kind of doubt it.

Acosta

Lots of people will buy it thinking they can revive the "golden years". When they realize they can't, it will be too late.

(And you know it´s not going to be backward compatible)

Ubersnug

Let me use my existing controllers and import all the tracks from the previous rock band games I own and you have a sale!

Brofield

While it may be in my wildest dreams, the biggest selling point for me would be if there was any way to transfer DLC across manufacturers. I had hundreds of dollars in DLC for the 360, but I have no plans of getting an Xbox One. If I could tie my XBL account and my PSN account to a single Harmonix account, and then get my DLC on the PS4, I would buy this game and new peripherals in an instant.

If ALL of my DLC doesn't come over from Xbox360 --> PS4, then no fuckin deal, at all, ever. They promised a platform, and if they don't deliver, they don't get any more money from me.

Actually, this is my biggest thing. I have already given up on my Wii DLC even being transferred over, but a Wii U is still my primary console platform. If they want rock band to remain relevant again so that it spans two or more game generation continuously, a universal Harmonix account that tracks songs purchased and migrates them between consoles would be TREMENDOUSLY useful for those who wish to migrate between the console manufacturers.

If perhaps an additional $1 cost on top, or perhaps a bundle of songs ($10 for each 20 songs made crossplatform), I would accept that fee. Mostly I just want the revived Rock Band Network to be developed via the Unity engine because it seems to be the only one licensed across the Xbone, PS4 and Wii U which would allow songs to be published equally.

Top Bottom