• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg suggests that the Switch might be a replacement for the Wii U and 3DS

How could anyone dispute it? Pokemon and Fire Emblem have moved to Switch. We are just seeing a focus on console-like software for Switch because the 3DS still has a few outsourced games in the pipeline.

Well..

The bottom line is that the Switch is meant as a Wii U replacement. The Wii U can no longer be purchased at retail and stock of games is dwindling quickly.

The 3DS will live out the rest of its "life", for 18 to 36 months, and then will eventually no longer be supported, but I don't think the Switch is intended to replace it as it is with the Wii U.

It is a replacement for the wiiu for sure, but 3DS? lol

See?

I thought the same, but why the fuck they released a new 2DS XL, honestly was gutted to see that.

The quicker the kill everything off the better.

Nintendo is not developing any 3DS games.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
spongebobicon.jpg

SwItcH iSN't RePlacInG tHe 3DS

Yup,just like the DS didn't replace the Game Boy.

Just select an alternate reality from the Multiiverse!

sphinx

the piano man
In late 2016/ early 2017 nintendo announced the WiiU replacement, it's called Switch.

They claim it's at its core a home console and that it's not a replacement for the 3DS. Two facts seem to support this notion:

A) The software (Breath of the wild and MK8 are homeconsole, WiiU-like games, not 3DS-like games)

B) Nintendo's announced and confirmed support for 3DS in 2017 in form of hardware revisions and some games. Metroid, Pikmin and Pokemon special editions are happening, hell we may get DQXI in the west still. We are also getting Atlus late in the year.

so this year, no, switch does not replace the 3DS, not in any shape or form.

now, looking into 2018 and beyond, the 3DS will inevitably decline, regardless of whether the Switch exists and/or a dedicated 3DS successor is planned or in the works. So 2018 is, for all intents and purposes, 3DS's last last breath. Market saturation and incredibly fucking ancient technology will prevent nintendo from keeping it alive any further.

so the big question remains.

Will Nintendo release a non-switch branded piece of hardware, say, Q4 2018 and/or in 2019? hardware with exclusive games to it, no overlap with Switch hardware?

my bet is No, they will not release, new, out-of-the-blue hardware. my bet is that they will have several switch forms, one probably resembling more of a handheld (clamshell, AC adapter, better battery life, etc)

that being said, anything can happen and Nintendo is probably be taking the "wait and see" approach. they could for all I care, release a mobilelike-but-with-Dpad-and-buttons digital-only device with all of nintendos games from NES till 3DS for sale on the Eshop that would effectively take the role of "nintendo's new handheld" (not saying it WILL happen, but it could, nintendo is very unpredictable)

Patch13

I thought the same, but why the fuck they released a new 2DS XL, honestly was gutted to see that.

Nintendo is hoping to produce and sell 10 million Switches this year. OTOH, there are 60 million 3DS units in the wild. If Nintendo dropped the 3DS right away, their business would suffer, and that wouldn't be good for the Switch, or for anyone who owns either device.

I'm expecting another couple of years of releases for the 3DS, with Nintendo aiming for a smooth ramp up of the Switch as the 3DS slowly ramps down. (This also gives them some room to pivot if Switch sales get threatened by a surprise hybrid coming out of Sony or Microsoft.)

Basically, come 2020, All The Things will probably be on Switch. But I wouldn't be surprised to see some neat stuff come out for the 3DS in the meantime.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.

They can't make enough Switch to satisfy demand due to the NAND issue. They need money. The New 3DS OG is being retired. I see the new 2DS as a cheap pokemon device. look at the colours.

Instro

Nintendo is hoping to produce and sell 10 million Switches this year. OTOH, there are 60 million 3DS units in the wild. If Nintendo dropped the 3DS right away, their business would suffer, and that wouldn't be good for the Switch, or for anyone who owns either device.

I'm expecting another couple of years of releases for the 3DS, with Nintendo aiming for a smooth ramp up of the Switch as the 3DS slowly ramps down. (This also gives them some room to pivot if Switch sales get threatened by a surprise hybrid coming out of Sony or Microsoft.)

Basically, come 2020, All The Things will probably be on Switch. But I wouldn't be surprised to see some neat stuff come out for the 3DS in the meantime.

They don't have anything announced for the 3DS after this year, so the next major direct will be telling if they have anything 3DS related to show. I'm expecting nothing from Nintendo after 2017 though.

Usobuko

Banned
I love Switch replacing the 3ds.

It's a huge upgrade in tech and ultimately good for handheld gamers. 3ds is so obsolete and I say this as someone with 30+ 3ds games.

The major issue is at $299 it ain't gonna replace the 3DS. $150 seems to be the ceiling for maximum customer reach ability.

So either the 3DS is gonna live along time; a replacement is coming; or the Switch is gonna have a massive price drop.

Cipherr

Its going to be hell on earth on Gaming side when the day comes that they announce a new dedicated handheld
KuGsj.gif

I don't expect it will be right away. They will let 3DS sit out there like it is now running on whatever steam it has left until it slowly whittles away and dies. There will likely be a gap of a year or two after its done, then BAM, Switch successor and a Handheld to boot.

Y'all gonna lose y'all minds and Im gonna be there to bathe in the "WTF NINTENDO DID YOU LEARN NOTHING!?".

Mael

Wasn't that what Nintendo said all along?
They're pooling their resources for all devs done.
What would be the point of releasing a 3DS successor that is not the Switch?
It would mean that it would be less powerful than the Switch AND they would probably wouldn't be able to use assets made for Switch as easily.
Like how is this news?
Are we back in 2005 when no one was listening to whatever Nintendo was saying and acting all surprised when they do exactly what they said they were doing?

Top Bottom