• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Suicide Squad by Rocksteady will be delayed to 2023

Iced Arcade

This shows you who has their shit together as studios.

Not to toot the horn, but we literally have 4 first party titles coming from Playstation. Even Square is firing on all cylinders. I think this shows a larger issue, in management in a post covid world.
Orrrrr they have Gotham Knights coming out and don't want to cannibalize themselves 💁

These 2 games were never going to come out in the same year.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
You know they've also postponed the launch of those games, right?

HFW, GT7 we both delayed. Ragnarok also delayed, but that wasn't due to development.

There’s a difference in showing a game in 2020 with no date. Then to not have a date in 2021 but showing a lot of gameplay and information got it to be pushed by couple months. Which when it came to horizon they said they could of released in 2021. But wanted more time for polish.

Seeing how close together both GT7 and horizon are it shows extra time was for polish.

Like suicide squad was teased in 2019, but then pushed it, Covid happened then went silent until 2021 the first time we see any kind of gameplay.

And now making a announcement your missing an entire year? Same goes for stalker 2.

Sony has their shit figured out.

They made 1 game. Arkham Asylum.

Then they made that game over and over again, while learning how to do basic open world tech, and high end graphics.

That's it! Game #2 from them now, for the first time since 2009. And they're really having a hard time nailing it down from the looks of it.

Nah Im sorry. They made 3 fantastic games. Yes, they are similar but not really. Asylum is fantastic due to its atmosphere/metroidvania design. City is fantastic due to its incredible story and characters. Arkham Knight has the best combat and yes fuck the haters, I loved the batmobile.

Sygma

They made 1 game. Arkham Asylum.

Then they made that game over and over again, while learning how to do basic open world tech, and high end graphics.

That's it! Game #2 from them now, for the first time since 2009. And they're really having a hard time nailing it down from the looks of it.

Nobody had issues playing the worse arkham city in the form of that joke named spider man on ps4. Not to mention a lot of companies straight up copying arkham's combat in so many games

If rocksteady are going to single handedly shape a whole ass genre's combat style all over again I'd rather they have all the time in the world to ace it on the first go

I also don't understand the obsession with the time it takes to deliver games. We all know they worked on canned projects since Knight

Last edited:

Honey Bunny

2006Urban Chaos: Riot Response
2009Batman: Arkham Asylum
2011Batman: Arkham City
2015 Batman: Arkham Knight
2016 Batman: Arkham VR
2022 Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League

It's not hyperbolic. They're held up as some elite team, but they have a very unusual background (in that they literally don't have any background). They're not standard in the industry to hit it so big on your first major game. They've been treading water since 2009. This is literally the first time we're seeing them attempt something new, and it's clearly not going smoothly.
No you keep trying but making two sequels to Arkham Asylum is not some crazy thing worth getting mad about

Umbasaborne

Banned
This speaks to a bigger issue regarding triple a game development. These games are taking 6-8 years to develop. Were getting to the point where a developer will announce a game at the start of a console cycle, then release it by the end, and by that point its even more stress on them because they need to account for a next gen port they werent thinking about 8 years ago. Rocksteady hasnt put out a fucking game since 2015, they were releasing a game every 2-4 years at one point? Wtf happened? In the worst case scenarios these games are taking five plus years to develop and still releasing unfinished. Dying light 2 was announced forever ago, and now 4 years later its out. Halo infinite was announced three fucking years before it launched. And it STILL launched unfinished! This shit is not sustainable, and i dont think triple a games have much of a future if it continues on like this.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
Why do they even give dates?
For pre orders, and share holder confidence. 9/10 times, when a publisher announces a first release date. Its a soft date that they know they wont hit. They announce it because people are more likely to pre order with a release date, giving them cash early, and share holders stay off their backs for a little bit

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
The Big Lebowski Whatever GIF

Helghan

There’s a difference in showing a game in 2020 with no date. Then to not have a date in 2021 but showing a lot of gameplay and information got it to be pushed by couple months. Which when it came to horizon they said they could of released in 2021. But wanted more time for polish.

Seeing how close together both GT7 and horizon are it shows extra time was for polish.

Like suicide squad was teased in 2019, but then pushed it, Covid happened then went silent until 2021 the first time we see any kind of gameplay.

And now making a announcement your missing an entire year? Same goes for stalker 2.

Sony has their shit figured out.
The fact you think only Sony studios are able to manage their people remotely baffles me. As if they never showed a game way to early and postponed it... How is The Last of Us 2 Multiplayer going?

Papacheeks

Banned
The fact you think only Sony studios are able to manage their people remotely baffles me. As if they never showed a game way to early and postponed it... How is The Last of Us 2 Multiplayer going?

When was factions publicly shown? I’ll wait for your response………

Bragr

Banned
At this point, the publisher has to fork out the money because it would be a waste to just cancel it. This has to sell strongly to break even, it's a terrible position to be in. I wonder how many of the Arkham guys are still at the studio at this point.

Papacheeks

Banned

Sony has consistantly had Developers talking in how well they have been working in a post covid world. How mature their tools, and kits are. And how easy it is to get a game up and running is one of the fastest. Hence why in 4 years we literally have a new Horizon, God of war, and Gran turismo. The pandemic pushed GT7 and Horizon by couple months. Rocksteady showed off their game way before they could even show anything. Sony literally showed In-engine to in game videos in 2020 for a lot of their games releasing within 6-12 months.

Xbox literally teased Fable with a title card in 2018, and work hadn't really even started yet on it. All we have is CGI trailer from most of Microsoft's first party games that are supposedly coming 2023-2024. Rocksteady's last game was Arkham Knight in 2015. Literally been 6-7 years.

Thats not good output.

And they had issues prior to Covid, which I think your seeing across the industry. 343, Rocksteady, rockstar, Blizzard, among others.

RevGaming

Who cares. Every trailer has looked like shit. Riddled with cringe unfunny jokes. Gameplay looks standard and plain.

Wheres Wonder Woman at? That I'm hyped for. Or if they announce a Batman game which I'm sure they will after the movies inevitable success.
The game looked fun gameplay wise the the dialogue was really really well done and funny.

I hate purists man

Helghan

Sony has consistantly had Developers talking in how well they have been working in a post covid world. How mature their tools, and kits are. And how easy it is to get a game up and running is one of the fastest. Hence why in 4 years we literally have a new Horizon, God of war, and Gran turismo. The pandemic pushed GT7 and Horizon by couple months. Rocksteady showed off their game way before they could even show anything. Sony literally showed In-engine to in game videos in 2020 for a lot of their games releasing within 6-12 months.
Are you seriously saying that Sony never showed a game very early and then postponed it? Uncharted 4 was announced in 2013, and went through multiple delays. The reason why Sony didn't show GT7, HZD and Ragnarok early is because this was part of the PS5 reveal...

I think everyone has trouble with post-covid development, and it's not like Sony didn't have any issues.

RevGaming

Only Capcom and Sony have been the productive ones. At most, ghost and god of war took 5-6 years but gowr took 4 and I'm sure sucker punch could make ghost in 3 or 4 because they have the assets already (dlc had a lot of content for such little time they spent with it). Capcom releasing re and monster hunter games and big expansions like crazy.

Other publishers, they have studios that release fairly, but others take 7 years to make anything.

Papacheeks

Banned
Are you seriously saying that Sony never showed a game very early and then postponed it? Uncharted 4 was announced in 2013, and went through multiple delays. The reason why Sony didn't show GT7, HZD and Ragnarok early is because this was part of the PS5 reveal...

I think everyone has trouble with post-covid development, and it's not like Sony didn't have any issues.

Sony did show games too early during the PS4 gen, but as they got their tools and workflows in order from coming from Power PC arc, they now have efficiency across most of their developers.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Sony did show games too early during the PS4 gen, but as they got their tools and workflows in order from coming from Power PC arc, they now have efficiency across most of their developers.
They're doing well, but what we saw is direct sequels to those PS4 games that took them forever. God of War - direct sequel coming. Horizon - direct sequel coming. The Last of Us 2 - direct sequel to Uncharted 4 tech, and now the multiplayer and TLOU1 remake. Miles Morales, direct sequel.

Destruction All Stars was a new thing, and that shipped incomplete. Demon's Souls was impressive. Returnal was impressive, but is a roguelike. Ratchet looks good, but is a sequel to the PS4 game as well, but looks very impressive. Wolverine is probably going to be built off of Spider Man systems.

They are doing well by making small, incremental updates to previously existing games. But they're really good at that, and if that speeds things up, it might be the right call. Even with this sped up approach, it's taking 4-5 years per game.

I'm more interested to see how fast Barlog gets his new IP out. Or anything that isn't a direct sequel, or built off existing game code.

The Alien

Banned
Not surprised TBH.

I trust in Rocksteady so it'll likely be good. I could care less about the Suicide Squad, but thought it was a great spin where the bad guys/bosses were the Justice League.

FWIW....Wasn't excited about Gotham Knights either and playing a Batmam game....without playing as Batman.

Iced Arcade

pro tip: understand the users you conversate with and you will be less frustrated and more entertained.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I wish they would cancel it and make something people actually want. I don't know, maybe some do, but I have zero interest in what I've seen of this, and I LOVED their Batman games (yes, even Knight).

Top Bottom