• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg via Takashi Mochizuki — Nintendo planning to ship over 10 million Switch 2 units next fisical year

CS Lurker

I think option B would offer better utilisation of resources and overall better baseline of GPU feature usage; negligible hit on 4K IQ compared to native but improved response due to 60fps.

Thoughts?

I mean, Nintendo is pushing even FSR on their games, I don't see why they would ignore the Tensor Cores in there. I'm absolutely sure Nvidia wants Nintendo to use DLSS in every game.

Actually, after having played some PC games on 540p (DLSS performance) using a 1080p monitor, this became my favorite option for most 3rd party titles on handheld mode. The results are amazing for a small screen. And even Nintendo can do this too, although I feel like they will probably go with DLSS quality (720p > 1080p) most of the time. Now, when docked... I'm not so sure. They could either keep the DLSS quality or use the balanced or even performance to 4k. I think it could depend on the native resolution of the TV/monitor being used, or even what fits better with their game/engine (sometimes DLSS quality offers a better image in some games than the performance preset)

Jesb

Can’t believe they’re releasing this with a worse screen tech than what they already have. If I end up getting this it’ll be mostly played on the tv anyway but it’s still ridiculous to go backwards on this. My biggest hope since I passed on switch would be backwards compatibility.

leo-j

Not sure it your talking in general terms of the consoles docked output, or in native resolution.

Let me ask you this, in docked mode would you prefer:

A) either 1440p/4k 30fps native
B) native 1080p 60fps upscaled to 4K (equivelent to nvidias "Performance DLSS")

I think option B would offer better utilisation of resources and overall better baseline of GPU feature usage; negligible hit on 4K IQ compared to native but improved response due to 60fps.

Thoughts?
Probably option B

StereoVsn

True, but realistically they have to find ways to keep costs down especially in this inflationary economic reality after Covid. If they did OLED, they would have to cut cost elsewhere and people would complain about that. Unless they want to charge $500 or $550 for the system which would be idiotic.

The PS Portal doesn't have a OLED but people seem to like it. As long as the screen isn't Steam Deck Version 1 quality, I won't have too many complaints I guess
They could do two models to start. Kind of what they have now with vanilla Switch, Lite and OLED.

Interfectum

They could do two models to start. Kind of what they have now with vanilla Switch, Lite and OLED.
There's no reason to build more hype for Switch 2... they are going to sell 10 million without OLED. They are going to want that OLED hype when the initial launch hype dies down. They did it with Switch, Valve did it with Steam Deck. It works.

Last edited:

AngelMuffin

The launch titles will make or break that. Prime 4, Odyssey 2, Xenoblade X Remake, Baldur's Gate 3, and Bayonetta 1-3 Remaster should be ready for launch. That's all your important genres covered.
I’ll be just as happy with performance/graphical upgrades to existing games like ToTK. I stopped playing it around 10 hours in and decided to wait until the eventual upgrade pack or rerelease.

AngelMuffin

Can’t believe they’re releasing this with a worse screen tech than what they already have. If I end up getting this it’ll be mostly played on the tv anyway but it’s still ridiculous to go backwards on this. My biggest hope since I passed on switch would be backwards compatibility.
They need to hit a certain price point on this and I’m sure launching with an 8” OLED screen would bust it. I’m certain that the LCD screen It’s launching with will be better than the LCD screen for the OG Switch…which really isn’t that bad TBH. I’d rather have a more capable system at launch with an LCD screen than a less capable one with OLED.

Jesb

They need to hit a certain price point on this and I’m sure launching with an 8” OLED screen would bust it. I’m certain that the LCD screen It’s launching with will be better than the LCD screen for the OG Switch…which really isn’t that bad TBH. I’d rather have a more capable system at launch with an LCD screen than a less capable one with OLED.
That’s the hope right. Hopefully it’s a great looking screen. I just wonder the value for this in comparison to a steam deck.

Emedan

There hasn't been a mainline 3D Mario game since 2017 and launch window of the switch. I'm sure Nintendo has had a title in the pipeline since that one finished, I could only imagine the polish - we're in for a treat. Also who gives a shit about OLED, this is "the next switch" just as the SNES was the "the next Nintendo" back in the days, kids would want it so it'll sell like hot cakes.

MagnesD3

There hasn't been a mainline 3D Mario game since 2017 and launch window of the switch. I'm sure Nintendo has had a title in the pipeline since that one finished, I could only imagine the polish - we're in for a treat. Also who gives a shit about OLED, this is "the next switch" just as the SNES was the "the next Nintendo" back in the days, kids would want it so it'll sell like hot cakes.
It has to be Mario Breath of the Wild Bowsers Fury style. It needs to be the best Mario game imo, I think it can be too.

Hohenheim

Will wait for oled version with the next zelda. Ninty can only fool us ononce.
Fool you? They released a upgraded version many years after the original launch. That's pretty common in all tech, and definitly not fooling.
Does Apple / Samsung fool you when they release a new version of their phones every year?

Baki

They should be aiming for 20M shipped within the first 6 months. The Switch 2, if it's iterative, should be much easier to source parts and assemble, as the parts and assembly should be very similar to a smartphone.

Hohenheim

Exactly, YOU don't understand.
I most definitly don't. Thank god for that.
I look forward to upgrading to a OLED version in a few years of course. New tech is always great. But I sure as hell ain't missing out on all the grest games in those years just because of some small reduction in acreen quality. That's madness. I couldn't wait a day extra for a new Metroid. Now waiting YEARS because of some details that won't affect the game, now that's some mad stubborn shit.

Fool you? They released a upgraded version many years after the original launch. That's pretty common in all tech, and definitly not fooling.
Does Apple / Samsung fool you when they release a new version of their phones every year?
Yeah all that talk of switch pro and they came out with oled ver with sub 720p res on games.
Fool me.

Top Bottom