• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Bloomberg via Takashi Mochizuki] Sega has no intention to be acquired, for now. Feels Microsoft values Sega more than other platform owners.

graywolf323

Foreign Exchange and Foreign Trade Act as amended in 2020.

Relevance to an amended law in 2020?
no sorry I was being snarky & referencing how so many claimed that Matt Booty email in 2019 had nothing to do with the Bethesda & ABK acquisitions (and I felt it was somewhat relevant with the claim Microsoft wants to acquire Sega as well)

edit: it wasn’t directed at you but more of a ”yes and…” continuing from your point

Last edited:
how-about-no-sloth.gif
Deal with it JIM

I also love how people say SEGA is dead, Sonic team are shit, SEGA doesn't make any good games, and makes massive losses. Now suddenly have IP so important, that the Japanese Government can't do without them.

No where in that world salad was there a cogent argument.

people say? Are they the same people? Did the Japanese Government say that Sega is dead or sonic team was shit?

You'll note that Sega Sammy is a 2 on the classification while Square Enix is a 1.

Sega Sammy is a pretty large entertainment company who also happens to have a larger real estate landscape than Square enix. You'll notice that Konami is also a 2.

Capcom similarly to SE is a 1.

Kilau

The thing about this foreign investment law is, what countries does it apply to? At the time it was created no list was provided. It is a law targeting China and probably only China. Unless a list of prohibited foreign countries has been published that includes the USA.

The threshold for foreign investment was 10%, since lowered to 1% and the Saudis now own over 8% of Nintendo.

Ar¢tos

No where in that world salad was there a cogent argument.

people say? Are they the same people? Did the Japanese Government say that Sega is dead or sonic team was shit?

You'll note that Sega Sammy is a 2 on the classification while Square Enix is a 1.

Sega Sammy is a pretty large entertainment company who also happens to have a larger real estate landscape than Square enix. You'll notice that Konami is also a 2.

Capcom similarly to SE is a 1.
Capcom being family owned also makes it a VERY unlikely purchase, despite being classified 1.

What does the article actually say? Is there a direct quote saying MS values Sega more than Sony or Nintendo?
If the article is paywalled try this archive I've just made: https://web.archive.org/save/https:...lk-of-microsoft-deal-in-favor-of-independence

Sega has strong relationships with platform owners from Sony Group Corp. and Nintendo Co. to Apple Inc. and Amazon.com Inc. But Microsoft values Sega more than other platform operators, Utsumi said. The pair announced they will consider forming a strategic alliance in 2021 to support Sega’s initiative of developing big-budget games.

“We are very close with Microsoft and have a great relationship with its management team,” he said. “Microsoft particularly has a high regard for us. Xbox’s Phil Spencer and Sarah Bond are really serious about values that video game fans emphasize.”

Last edited:

graywolf323

I also love how people say SEGA is dead, Sonic team are shit, SEGA doesn't make any good games, and makes massive losses. Now suddenly have IP so important, that the Japanese Government can't do without them.
Like people don't say SEGA is dead on here. Now because MS show an interest 'again' SEGA has gone from a joke to having IP so 'BIG' that the Japanese government can't allow it to leave Japan
really? if it’s as common as you‘re implying I’d love to see you back it up and it better not just be from trolls/alts

I don’t recall seeing anything like that on here in years, maybe a long time ago when Sega was struggling but recently?

really? if it’s as common as you‘re implying I’d love to see you back it up and it better not just be from trolls/alts

I don’t recall seeing anything like that on here in years, maybe a long time ago when Sega was struggling but recently?
Yeah, so many people on here looked to praise SEGA and how it was one of the best developers and publishers out there and making tons of cash.

Since Sega got Atlus, I'm pretty sure nobody has said that SEGA is dead.
Persona is a huge franchise.
Stop spreading FUD and putting words on other people mouths.
SO Atlus makes all the difference LOL. I'll have to remember that in the Sonic Threads when people are slagging off SEGA and saying they are dead
And last time I checked Atlus sales have let to match Sonic 1 sales alone.

SEGA gone from a JOKE to now one of the premier Japanese developers, how I love it
To be this good takes SEGA

graywolf323

SO Atlus makes all the difference LOL. I'll have to remember that in the Sonic Threads when people are slagging off SEGA and saying they are dead
And last time I checked Atlus sales have let to match Sonic 1 sales alone.

SEGA gone from a JOKE to now one of the premier Japanese developers, how I love it
To be this good takes SEGA
to be fair Sonic ‘06 was a joke… they did have some rough years there, but GAF has always loved things like the Yakuza series

heck I remember importing 3 & Kenzan on PS3 because of a thread on here, again if this is so prevalent on GAF like you claim why don’t you cite anything from the past 5-10 years?

drganon

to be fair Sonic ‘06 was a joke… they did have some rough years there, but GAF has always loved things like the Yakuza series

heck I remember importing 3 & Kenzan on PS3 because of a thread on here, again if this is so prevalent on GAF like you claim why don’t you cite anything from the past 5-10 years?
He's just another guy butthurt over the ps1 outselling the Saturn so he roots for Xbox to get "revenge".

graywolf323

He's just another guy butthurt over the ps1 outselling the Saturn so he roots for Xbox to get "revenge".
yeah I’ve noticed that, I’ll honestly never get why so many Sega fanboys have become diehard Xbox supporters just to ‘own’ PlayStation

I only had Sega stuff growing up, my first Nintendo console wasn’t until the GameCube, otherwise we only had a Genesis & Game Gear then later a Dreamcast (plus I managed to get a Game Boy Pocket w/ Pokémon Blue for Christmas & my sister got a PS1 with money from her first job at Target)

one of the main reasons I got the OG Xbox was because Shenmue II & JSRF being on it exclusively (despite the fact Shenmue II released in Europe on Dreamcast…) so if anything Xbox actually stole a game from Dreamcast owners because we couldn’t play the sequel to one of the biggest DC games on our Dreamcasts here in America

So we need to go back to 2006?

I also remember importing a PS2, I guess that makes me a SONY fanboy.
Forgive my sins SEGA we all have skeletons in the past, in Phil we trust

DaGwaphics

Not surprising that there are close ties between the two, the 2nd party deal that MS cut with them basically made it possible for them to transition to being a successful third-party publisher (back when they first dropped DC, I think it was like a 10 or 15 game deal or something like that).

hlm666

I mean they paid sega/relic to make AoE4 and also have a bunch of other pc titles that turn up on gamepass. Relic and Creative Assembly are more useful to MS than anyone else so it kind of makes sense no?

Chukhopops

I mean they paid sega/relic to make AoE4 and also have a bunch of other pc titles that turn up on gamepass. Relic and Creative Assembly are more useful to MS than anyone else so it kind of makes sense no?
Most if not all Sega games have been on GP PC Day 1, I think they see some value in it (and money too).

Maybe not all publishers dislike GP.

Gambit2483

Nintendo (Sonic games) and Sony (ATLUS games) have kept SEGA afloat for years now.

There's no way they are giving that up for MS....where no one buys JRPGs, Sonic or you know, games in general

LOL, see you can't even read the list right.

The security code is just a distinction for the number the company appears on the nikkei. What matters more is the classification that appear on the far right with 3 being the highest level. It should be noted that Sega is a 2.
I'm well aware of the securities code being how the company is represented on the nikkei. I was simply stating it to make it easier for the poster I was replying to to find it.

Granted, I didn't know about the classification, I give you that.

However, None of anything you've said before or after suggests that MS cannot buy SEGA if SEGA wanted to be sold. Perhaps the idea of a hostile takeover is not possible, but if SEGA wanted to be sold to MS, it can happen and that is the premise of my argument here. I don't want it to happen... not even a tiny bit... but to suggest it can't happen based on what you've cited is ridiculous. Yes, there will be increased scrutiny, of course, but it absolutely could happen. To suggest anything else is inaccurate to the extreme and detrimental to the desire of many to have MS stay away from the acquisition of SEGA.

Last edited:

Tams

I'm going to guess that you're pretty young.

Do you think that the SMT team at Xbox has any special legal understanding of Japan more than the average poster in this forum. I'm going to tell you a surprise... They don't.

Why did Matt Booty write an e-mail tailor-made to end Microsoft's acquisition strategy when it came to international regulatory bodies? Because Matt Booty is just a person, no more or less intelligent by the position that he is in.

Has he searched the Japanese law before saying let's buy Sega or does he need the Microsoft legal team to advise him after the fact that it's not easily achievable?

Why would Microsoft engage in a M&A with a 3 billion dollar penalty clause only for them to ultimately lose that bid in the regulatory process? Aren't they super geniuses that could have foreseen regulatory hurdles?

I also enjoy how you cite a 2016 purchase of Sharp that predates the 2020 revision of the law in question or even emails that were generated prior to 2020.

Also it isn't to say that any company on the protected list CAN'T be purchased or invested in by foreign parties, but rather the Japanese government will place extra scrutiny and regulation on the purchase of these companies. Rather than putting your head in the sand you could I don't know... educate yourself?

Not to mention Sharp was in danger of shutting down, and no Japanese companies wanted to take it on as they saw it as you big a liability.

The Japanese government ultimately decided it was better that the company keep going, even if under foreign ownership.

SEGA are currently in no danger of shutting down at all.

Top Bottom