• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BLOPS 2 multiplayer: only 560 people on WiiU, 640,000 on 360.

big_z

This site shows current BF3 players:

PC online 28,521
PS3 online 30,794
360 online 11,597

http://bf3stats.com/

Xbox tends to get the highest number of players at peak hours but also has the largest drops. Pc is consistently at 25-50k+ online. Ps3 is the lowest overall but at night see more players I'm guessing because of Europe.

As for blops2 U I'm not surprised. You have a console that didn't have a lot of hype, failed to sell out like 360/wii/ps3 and has a bunch of games at launch most of which are poor ports. Blops probably only moved 5-7k units at best on wii u. The number of players will go up obviously but the few people buying the console aren't buying it for cod.

Hari Seldon

Hahah I love those PC numbers. Civ 5 is 2 years old and was only 1200 behind COD in concurrency.
I was one of these
. A 2 year old strategy game almost beating the latest cod update. PC gamers are awesome.

Oh god, most of those games are awful >.<.

Most?

There are 30 games in that list. Non-awful games in the list are:

Dota 2
Team Fortress 2
Black Ops II
Skyrim
Counterstrike
Civilization V
Hitman: Absolution
CS: Source
Borderlands 2
CS: GO
L4D2
Garry's Mod
MW3
XCom
Shogun 2
Empire
Fallout: New Vegas
Terraria
Torchlight 2
Natural Selection 2
Tropico 4
Mount & Blade
ARMA II
Black Ops
MW2
Dark Souls

26/30 doesn't make it most. It's not even close to most. Even if you are a hardcore Nintendo fanboy, you will still find games in that list that you will like that makes the "awful" list is not even close to most. Even if your taste in gaming is absurd, you will know that the "awful" list is not even close to most.

The only conclusion here is you're being sarcastic.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Why are people so afraid of statistics and data?

As someone who loved my statistics classes in college, these statistics are meaningless based on the situation--both the stats in the OP and the "rate of adoption" stat just posted recently.

Crazyorloco

Umm it only gets worse from launch day.

All console online games will see its peak during the launch period and dies down significantly.

I literally laughed out loud to this post. I had to check to see if I was on Neogaf. I'm not sure if you're serious. At first I thought this is sarcasm, but the second line looks like you actually believe the Wii U COD BO2 numbers will remain at this level. They're going to go up definitely. Not 360/PS3 levels of course.

And plus If I had a Wii U and 360, I would choose to play Black Ops 2 on the 360 because most of my friends have it on there. As long as nintendo makes getting online and having a screen name easy with chat (voice/text) working well they'll do much better than what they did with the Wii's internet..

Wait. The online stat for zombies is separate from the multiplayer stat? I always thought is was x amount playing multiplayer with x out of that number playing zombies.

I was one of the people online playing Blops 2 online on the Wii U last night for about half hour...

I got Blops 2 along with NSMBU, Zombi U, and Nintendoland in the deluxe bundle.

This is my first attempt at playing COD since COD 2 on the 360 and it was actually fun but I am terrible at it.

I would have played it more in the last 2 days since getting my Wii U but NSMBU and Zombi U have taken all of my free time, I love them both. Blops is fun too, just not as much of a priority.

I'm sure the Wii U/COD community will be fine once the thing has been out for more than a few days and people aren't glued to the Nintendo exclusives like I am. But whatever, it's all doom and gloom sometimes so....

Somehow I get the feeling that the majority of BLOPS 2's target market aren't going to be people who are buying Wii Us.

But seriously, the console's not even been out a week and the Christmas season is right around the corner.

Mael

When Call of Duty's multiplayer mode is losing to Football Manager, something has gone horribly wrong for Activision.

I can't let you say that!
Football Manager is the best football game released this year and its popularity is ungodly here.

360 tends to peak around US primetime with the other two going up in European primetime.

It's an interesting barometer of how the platforms perform in different regions.

Well duh, we already knew that Europe was not very kind to MSFT's console.
I mean from the data we have, it sell less hardware and software so it stand to reason that it would be less played too.

Concept17

Yea the race to prove the WiiU launch a disaster is getting ridiculous.

The race? I think the disaster already happened.

Not sure why anyone would be surprised by low Blops2 numbers on the system though. Most people who were going to buy CoD already have/would play it on their normal system of choice. People getting the WiiU are getting it because its a Nintendo console, and not for a game that has large established communities on other platforms.

1) Consoles aren't perfect substitutes of each other (each offers different things) so expecting each console to have similar user numbers is flawed

2) Wii U install base is likely half a million, or approximately 1/160 of either other HD console

3) Blops2 U expectations should reasonably be based off Wii CoD performance, not PS360 (since that is the only way to measure if it's doing better or worse)

4) Blops2 already launched on other platforms, so CoD fans who picked up a Wii U likely already have it

5) Wii U had a lot of new, otherwise unavailable games show up at the same time (Nintendo Land, NSMBU, Zombi U, etc) that people interested in new consoles are more likely to be playing than a game available on everything they already own.

6) Wii U is prioritized around asymmetric local multiplayer, so it makes a ton of sense that people aren't playing a symmetric online game this near launch

Pociask

Ridiculous comparison is ridiculous.

Xbox has an install base of millions of consoles, with people waiting for a new game to play - in this case BLOPS. Wii U is a brand new console, with people trying out all of their new games. I don't think anyone expected that if you got one new game with your Wii U, it was going to be BLOPS.

Back seat publishers in here are hilarious. Yeah, I'm sure Activision is looking at server numbers one day after the game is released on a brand new console and making decisions about what to do next. In the words of Borat, NOT!. Relax dudes. They're going to see how much the game sells. They're going to see how many people buy DLC down the road. How many people are playing online is not as important as those other two numbers.

Not sure why anyone would be surprised by low Blops2 numbers on the system though. Most people who were going to buy CoD already have/would play it on their normal system of choice. People getting the WiiU are getting it because its a Nintendo console, and not for a game that has large established communities on other platforms.

Alrighty then...

As someone who loved my statistics classes in college, these statistics are meaningless based on the situation--both the stats in the OP and the "rate of adoption" stat just posted recently.

I believe that to be nonsense. If the data is true, then we can seek to extract meaning from it, and then further look for other data points to see if we can build an trend, or some other model.

The fact is that there were 560 people playing a highly anticipated AAA blockbuster game 2 days from release. Then we look at data and see what we can do with it. We can already tell from this data that most Wii U buyers did not buy COD. So by that the data is already not "meaningless". Then we can look at the expected sales rate vs the actual. How many people did you expect to be playing it, and how did the reality differ? Then we can make assumptions as to why that is.

You don't even need to look at the other consoles data to make use of this data. It is in no way meaningless.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
how about you wait more than a day and a half to see how a multiplayer community is shaping up?

I understand people are rushing to get in on this "the WiiU launch is a disaster!" narrative, but come on.

This.

Mael

Could you at least wait till the rest of the world get their hands on it (or not)?

Hyun Sai

Are there any people who bought Call of on WiiU despite having a PS3/360 with Gold/Decent gaming PC ?

What was the reasoning behind this ? Just wondering.

So two 6 year old systems, which each have user bases of almost 70 million world wide, have more players than a system that's been on sale for two days in one country?

Shocking.

Mael

So two 6 year old systems, which each have user bases of almost 70 million world wide, have more players than a system that's been on sale for two days in one country?

Shocking.

And you should see how the Wii version is farring!!!!
Game over, man!

Malvingt2

I thought it would at least be in the thousands. I sure as hell never thought it'd be in the hundreds.

with no reviews or previews, no Bonus Map(lol) people picked others version. So BO2 WiiU is it there to create a new fanbase. It is going to grow for sure..

Mileena

Banned
more people are going to jump on it. The word is spreading that it is a good version of the game.. I am having a blast.
Does the Nintendo fanbase really wanna play CoD though? My guess is no, not really.

I actually wanna try it on the U because the padlet looks really comfortable

Does the Nintendo fanbase really wanna play CoD though? My guess is no, not really.

So much fun. I've got both the 360 and Wii U versions. I'm using the Wii U version on the gamepad when I'm in the bedroom or on the toilet(YES) and then flip back over to 360 if I'm going to be in the gameroom for extended periods.

Only weird thing was the default control scheme on Wii U was completely different than the HD Twins. Had to change the controls to classic.

I haven't even open the game yet, jeez. Been too preoccupied with some of the other launch games. I'll get to it though and spend a ton of time online.

Fox Mulder

Are there any people who bought Call of on WiiU despite having a PS3/360 with Gold/Decent gaming PC ?

What was the reasoning behind this ? Just wondering.

The console just launched and may be a top Christmas gift. CoD was kind of popular on the wii despite being a shitty port, and this version is actually decent.

People will buy it, it's stupid to judge based off week one console numbers.

Geoff9920

Were talking multiplayer. Steam is talking about what people are playing - not necessarily online.
The stats for Black Ops 2 aren't combined as it has three separate executables. Anyone playing on Steam will have a separate entry in their libary for Campaign, Multiplayer, and Zombies.

Effect

The Wii always had a decent CoD community for all the online games. Never the top selling or games but always over a million. As said the problem is the system just came out and time is being split between Mario, Nintendo Land, ZomibU and Black Ops 2 for the majority of people (in various combinations) as those are the highest trending games in the WaraWara Plaza. Also some might be wanting to finish the campaign first.

The Wii versions were selling over a million and they were year late ports with crappy graphics and other things that showed it was poor quality.

As for blops2 U I'm not surprised. You have a console that didn't have a lot of hype, failed to sell out like 360/wii/ps3 and has a bunch of games at launch most of which are poor ports. Blops probably only moved 5-7k units at best on wii u. The number of players will go up obviously but the few people buying the console aren't buying it for cod.

okay, this confuses me. if the PS3 sold out day one that first winter, it's because supply was horrible with the blue diode shortage. the PS3 would not have sold out with the size of shipments Wii U is getting, not if my memories of the console being readily available just a month or two after launch aren't misplaced...

and given how much we laughed at the Sony guy saying he'd give money to anyone who could find PS3s sitting on shelves... I'm pretty sure my memory is intact.

the Wii U has been selling out in places too. I've no idea if it's totally sold out, but I do know Nintendo were just reassuring people that they'd be getting more systems into stores by Friday.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I believe that to be nonsense. If the data is true, then we can seek to extract meaning from it, and then further look for other data points to see if we can build an trend, or some other model.

The fact is that there were 560 people playing a highly anticipated AAA blockbuster game 2 days from release. Then we look at data and see what we can do with it. We can already tell from this data that most Wii U buyers did not buy COD. So by that the data is already not "meaningless". Then we can look at the expected sales rate vs the actual. How many people did you expect to be playing it, and how did the reality differ? Then we can make assumptions as to why that is.

You don't even need to look at the other consoles data to make use of this data. It is in no way meaningless.

It absolutely is meaningless, as you've got to take several things into consideration:

1. Userbase of the systems. Right now the difference is so large that it's pointless to extract any data from this.

2. The fact that if people wanted this game badly enough they'd own it already as it was released earlier in the week on other systems.

3. Established userbase of Xbox Live being light years ahead of Nintendo Network.

4. This IN NO WAY tells us overall sales of the game. None. You have to jump to conclusions to extract any data like this.

My opinion? This game isn't selling well because it's already on other platforms with better/more established communities and online. That's all fine and good, but it still tells us nothing about this title yet. You've got to give the system a couple months on the market to penetrate the userbase and THEN make connections.

Top Bottom