• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Dragon Xbox 360 vs Xbox One Backwards Compatibility Frame Rate Test

Synth

So why not just have it for games that do work. A whitelist or blacklist system?

I guess the process for testing the games is the real hold up. Simply patching a game to be in "PS4 Pro" mode to do something like bump resolutions from 900p to 1080p (ala UC4 multiplayer) or unlocking framerate (ala Rise of the Tomb Raider) should be trivial in most cases... I'm guessing nobody really wants to spend time on old games with little benefit to them (the publishers and Sony, not us). If all 360 games worked on XB1 for free, in the exact state they were on 360, I can imagine that's what we'd be left with. We're seeing the benefits of work being required to make them playable at all.

Fisty

Because the game code is unchanged from the original. You download a repackaged version of the same game.

So what you're saying is that you can't just put a 360 disc in the XB1 and play it without any patches. Because you can't even install 360 games off the disc and just download the patch, err excuse me emulator. You need to download a completely different file tested and QC'd by MS.

c0de

So what you're saying is that you can't just put a 360 disc in the XB1 and play it without any patches. Because you can't even install 360 games off the disc and just download the patch, err excuse me emulator. You need to download a completely different file tested and QC'd by MS.

The reason for that is obvious: the whole package works as a game for the Xbox One.
And you should know that this gen, no game runs off disc, not a single one. They all get installed and run off disk.

synce

No joke, I'm most jealous of Xbone owners because of the 360 emulation. But for as cool as MS is for fixing Blue Dragon, there's also games like DOAX that are still only playable on the original consoles, so I'm not that jealous.

Synth

No he's not. I'd assume he's taking a jab at those that assume improvements can't happen without a patch.

Are there actually people that think that though?

I mean, I know that improvements can happen without a patch... however I don't think that every title can be guaranteed to work that way... which is one thing for a value add like backwards compatibility, but is quite another for core compatibility that the PS4 Pro should have with PS4 games. If even 5% of the library didn't work properly, then that'd be the loudest conversation surrounding the machine right now.

Are there actually people that think that though?

I mean, I know that improvements can happen without a patch... however I don't think that every title can be guaranteed to work that way... which is one thing for a value add like backwards compatibility, but is quite another for core compatibility that the PS4 Pro should have with PS4 games. If even 5% of the library didn't work properly, then that'd be the loudest conversation surrounding the machine right now.

How do we have the XB1 S though which is basically doing exactly that with every title (making improvements in some while ensuring total compatibility)?

Fisty

The reason for that is obvious: the whole package works as a game for the Xbox One.
And you should know that this gen, no game runs off disc, not a single one. They all get installed and run off disk.

Not 360 games.

Anyway it was a dumb point to make in the first place, but even dumber that I took the bait. Keep moving those goalposts tho Luke

Synth

How do we have the XB1 S though which is basically doing exactly that with every title (making improvements in some while ensuring total compatibility)?

Well, we do have friggin Xbox 360 BC on an XB1 (which commonly agreed logic placed as "impossible"), so MS is clearly pretty good at this software shit, lol. I'd imagine much of it comes down to forward thinking, and XB1 games are probably naturally more abstracted from the hardware.. especially considering the Universal Windows push was already being planned for. Sony on the other hand can't even seen to let you chance you're bloody PSN name, due to shit they didn't think of beforehand... so I wouldn't be at all surprised if changing small things in PS4 games can turn them all into No Man's Sky.

It's possible that every single game actually would work, and none would break (doesn't seem likely based on Cerny's comments though... that sounded like he's seen shit break), but if it can't be assumed, then I can understand them balking at the thought of testing all games to ensure they work.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Remember back in the early days of XB1 BC, where performance differences were being cited as a reason the feature was going to be worthless?

Good times.
Uh huh. I remember "back compat is just a gimmick to win some PR points, it will be dead within months"

see5harp

This is really the silver lining this generation. Regardless of how I feel about the power of the xbox one in comparison to the PS4, I'm confident that moving forward MS knows how important it is to make software BC a reality moving forward. The streaming solution that Sony has come up with is so shit compared to this.

Footos22

Uh huh. I remember "back compat is just a gimmick to win some PR points, it will be dead within months"

To be fair it's pretty awesome. But there is far too much new good shit out and coming out at a relentless pace especially if you have both consoles. I bought lo and blue dragon. Will I play them 99% not likely to find the time lol

Synth

To be fair it's pretty awesome. But there is far too much new good shit out and coming out at a relentless pace especially if you have both consoles. I bought lo and blue dragon. Will I play them 99% not likely to find the time lol

This is true, but I feel it applies almost as much to current games as it does to BC games at this point (especially with stuff like PS+ and GwG offerings). When Sonic Racing Transformed hit, I picked it up digitally for £25, and it became my go to game for a solid week. I've also been playing a bunch of Virtua Fighter 5 FS recently, have gone through Gears 1, 2 and am halfway through 3 in co-op with my brothers, etc.

My XB1 has been pretending to be a 360 more than the rest of my gaming time put together. It's fucking up my backlog hard as the releases are practically serving as new releases in many cases for games I didn't play (or didn't play enough) originally. Like, I see Guardian Heroes go up and I'm like... "oooooo, I guess Titanfall 2 can wait".

etta

my hard graphic balls
This is true, but I feel it applies almost as much to current games as it does to BC games at this point (especially with stuff like PS+ and GwG offerings). When Sonic Racing Transformed hit, I picked it up digitally for £25, and it became my go to game for a solid week. I've also been playing a bunch of Virtua Fighter 5 FS recently, have gone through Gears 1, 2 and am halfway through 3 in co-op with my brothers, etc.

My XB1 has been pretending to be a 360 more than the rest of my gaming time put together. It's fucking up my backlog hard as the releases are practically serving as new releases in many cases for games I didn't play (or didn't play enough) originally. Like, I see Guardian Heroes go up and I'm like... "oooooo, I guess Titanfall 2 can wait".
Yea, it's just fucking awesome to see Red Dead Redemption and Black Ops and the entire Mass Effect saga and Gears and Halo and all the greatest hist from last gen sitting next to the new greatest hits like Forza Horizon 3 and Sunset Overdrive and Quantum Break. I like that it's all unified in one place, one controller, one user experience, one achievement/friends list.

c0de

Not 360 games.

Anyway it was a dumb point to make in the first place, but even dumber that I took the bait. Keep moving those goalposts tho Luke

Yes, also 360 games. In the end, there is a package on the disk and then the bone is able to execute it. And only then. Mind the difference between disk and disc. It has nothing to do with goalposts, people try to explain to you what you are wondering and apparently don't know.

Synth

Is this game good though?

Seem to recall that it dragged a whole bunch.

I recall Blue Dragon not having much padding. I think it was actually the third JRPG I'd ever beaten at the time, after Final Fantasy 7 and Chrono Trigger, and would probably but its pacing somewhere in between the two.

Now Eternal Sonata on the other hand.... that shit dragged.

Yea, it's just fucking awesome to see Red Dead Redemption and Black Ops and the entire Mass Effect saga and Gears and Halo and all the greatest hist from last gen sitting next to the new greatest hits like Forza Horizon 3 and Sunset Overdrive and Quantum Break. I like that it's all unified in one place, one controller, one user experience, one achievement/friends list.

Not to mention that it works with XB1 features like LFG. I joined a Sega group and we set a time to play Sonic Transformed and VF5FS over the weekend. It's awesome. If stuff like Daytona USA and Anarchy Reigns get added, it may actually be possible to find people to play them with now.

Fisty

Yes, also 360 games. In the end, there is a package on the disk and then the bone is able to execute it. And only then. Mind the difference between disk and disc. It has nothing to do with goalposts, people try to explain to you what you are wondering and apparently don't know.

... the entire discussion began when that poster said that people were saying performance improvement without patches was impossible and implied that this proved otherwise.

I simply brought up the fact you have to wait for MS to basically "patch" every 360 game for use on the XB1.

"Oh but it's a custom emulator" its exactly the same thing as a patch

c0de

"Oh but it's a custom emulator" its exactly the same thing as a patch

No it's not even remotely the same as a patch because the original code is not touched - it's intellectual property of the publisher/dev of the game.
I mean, we all know of the messy code of RDR, still the game was released on the bone via bc and it's the best way to play the game. There was no need from R* to touch the code again, nor did they send it to MS.

muzzymate

Correct. Thought their process, Microsoft is basically making and distributing a recompiled derivative version of the game. This is also most likely the reason they must seek publisher's legal approval before they can publish for titles that they don't own.

More details here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=223834419&postcount=92

Fisty

No it's not even remotely the same as a patch because the original code is not touched - it's intellectual property of the publisher/dev of the game.
I mean, we all know of the messy code of RDR, still the game was released on the bone via bc and it's the best way to play the game. There was no need from R* to touch the code again, nor did they send it to MS.

I don't even know what point you're trying to make any more.

Game can't run without compatability patch/emulator. There is code that is not in the game originally that is required to make it run. You have to download this code. Even if you own the game on a DVD. Like a patch.

Synth

You know what we should all do? Forget this side convo ever happened.

Yay Blue Dragon!

Now gimme a digital release ffs.

Jumeira

Banned
Expecting MS to carry on the good work with Scorpio, git high hopes for them coming up with a less convoluted way of playing X1 games with additional gains without dev input.

Lucifon

I'm getting closer and closer to selling my 360 and just buying an xbox one this black friday (unless Sony allows full mod support for FO4 and Skyrim, which I doubt.)
That's not happening, they pretty much gave in solely due to social pressure resulting in a half arsed compromise so that they can say they have mods too and to stop the social media complaints. But the list of mods on Skyrim for PS4 vs XB1 tells a vastly different story, so many mods use custom assets.

But back on topic - BC team continues to deliver. Give me Skate 3 and Amalur please!

ss_lemonade

Because the game code is unchanged from the original. You download a repackaged version of the same game.
When a BC game gets patched, do you redownload the entire/full size game again? That's what this sounds like, but I remember seeing red dead doing a 500mb (or close to that) update the other week

muzzymate

When a BC game gets patched, do you redownload the entire/full size game again? That's what this sounds like, but I remember seeing red dead doing a 500mb (or close to that) update the other week

It does not download the entire title again. 500 MB updates sound about the norm... (maybe 500-800MBs)

Top Bottom